• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon |OT| Sloan's blanket is six feet of my shit.

Hawk SE

iWfGJpbVfKu6p.gif

(http://min.us/lWfGJpbVfKu6p)

Adam Blue

Spoilers....

I nearly shat myself when I heard that end song. I can't believe it all comes together
with a song from Miami Connection
. Dean Evans must have literally been in my head. And the part when
the blonde chick looks back at the camera....is that a Thriller reference
?

My god is this all glorious.

I've hit a glitch.

I can't get the HS all enemy types trophy.

I've HS:
Reg soldier
Moltox guy
Close quarters guy
Heavy gunner
Heavy flamer
Sniper
undead scientist rusher
undead scientist gunner

But I still can't get it.

I'm questioning whether I HS'ed a sniper or not (or it just didn't register even though I got the points for it) but there are NO snipers post game. I don't know what to do. Other than that single thing, I've 100% the game (which isn't hard to do, at all).

So a friend of mine is saying that it took him 22 hours to complete everything in this game, all the collectibles and shit. I'm finding conflicting evidence in this thread.

Am I to assume that he is simply on drugs or something ? I can't fanthom it taking this long when everyone is saying they beat the game in an average of 4 to 5 hours.

I beat it in like 4 hours by racing through it and collecting just a few things. There was definitely plenty more for me to find. I think maximum time within reason is like 10 or so hours.

Played this game on my Asus VH236H in HD 1080p...holy mother of god these consoles need to die in a fire.

TripOpt55

I also apparently didn't get the headshot trophy. Bummer! Not sure I care enough to play the game again for it though. Finished it earlier though. Great game!

Nebula

400G on this game now. I suggest that you get a lot of money near the start because I have all garrisons turned and all missions done and needed like 8000 monies for the weapon attachments achievement. It took longer than expected because I had to look for random battles and chests to pilfer.

Enjoyed my time on it so far, and I'll be going for hard this weekend.

Linius

400G on this game now. I suggest that you get a lot of money near the start because I have all garrisons turned and all missions done and needed like 8000 monies for the weapon attachments achievement. It took longer than expected because I had to look for random battles and chests to pilfer.

Enjoyed my time on it so far, and I'll be going for hard this weekend.

I had the same thing concerning the attachemnts achievement. But during my search for money I also had the chance to kill me some dragons for that other achievement. Only missing the headshot one now, don't know if I feel like a replay for one achievement :p

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So I did some more side missions after I initially rushed through the main story and it has the same issue as base FC3 did. Small to medium outposts, few soldiers, and somehow it seems to have even less reinforcements than I remember in FC3 when you mess up (or don't try) a stealthy approach. The core gameplay thanks to the AI (which could be better, sometimes it's too easy to get many of them in a chope point, but they behave in entertaining ways, not like COD static aimbots, even after you're discovered) and gunplay are fun but it's just too easy. Also not raising the alarm when discovering dead bodies next to them is silly.

In the main what annoyed me was the lack of bosses/extreme challenges
there were what, two potential bosses that end up destroyed in cut scenes without a fight by yourself and those dragons you cheese with hearts)

Still it was an entertaining game I recommend to everyone, it's got modern mechanics and setup but feels like an old school linear FPS in ways and fun factor (no, not the deathmatch-esque movement, though you're fast).

Edit: the tutorial was badly handled too. It started funny and satiric but then it did annoy just as much as the tutorials it was ridiculing, throwing out pop up after pop up after pop up that I ended up mashing the key to skip.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Was able to finally finish this last night, and to have heard the montage music from No Retreat, No Surrender, as well as "Friends" from Miami Connection propelled this game into the top 10 of this gen for me.

That final section was just mindblowingly great.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Erm can I get help with the weapon wheel?

Like, I have the smg and pistol equipped. I wanna change the pistol for the sniper. So I equip my pistol, open the wheel, point to the sniper, it highlights the sniper instead of the pistol, I pull out my sniper... But then when I switch weapons for some reason the pistol has now replaced my smg so I have sniper / pistol now instead of smg / sniper. Wth? I know I'm being stupid but Ive tried a lot of different stuff, I don't get weapon wheels a lot of the time for some reason.

(on ps3 btw)

vgJames

Banned
Wait, why does my gun shoot regular bullets instead of lasers now... get thet shit out of there.

It's a weapon upgrade, you can dequip.

The lasers give a damage boost and are fabulous. FABULOUS.

Erm can I get help with the weapon wheel?

Like, I have the smg and pistol equipped. I wanna change the pistol for the sniper. So I equip my pistol, open the wheel, point to the sniper, it highlights the sniper instead of the pistol, I pull out my sniper... But then when I switch weapons for some reason the pistol has now replaced my smg so I have sniper / pistol now instead of smg / sniper. Wth? I know I'm being stupid but Ive tried a lot of different stuff, I don't get weapon wheels a lot of the time for some reason.

(on ps3 btw)

Think you manage wheel position at the bases. As you you select a weapon you want to equip to the wheel, when the wheel appears you select the one you want to replace.

For example up = pistol, right = machine, down = sniper, left = shotgun.

Then if you went to a base you could see your list of weapons...

Pistol - equipped
Machine - equipped
Sniper - equipped
Shotgun - equipped
Bow
Etc.

For the sake of example you want to use your Bow now. So from the base select the bow and your wheel will appear, then just hover over the weapon you want to replace then select (e.g. hover up then select to replace pistol with the bow). Voila.

Arkos

Think you manage wheel position at the bases. As you you select a weapon you want to equip to the wheel, when the wheel appears you select the one you want to replace.

For example up = pistol, right = machine, down = sniper, left = shotgun.

Then if you went to a base you could see your list of weapons...

Pistol - equipped
Machine - equipped
Sniper - equipped
Shotgun - equipped
Bow
Etc.

For the sake of example you want to use your Bow now. So from the base select the bow and your wheel will appear, then just hover over the weapon you want to replace then select (e.g. hover up then select to replace pistol with the bow). Voila.

Lol thanks, I was also wondering how to do this, but unfortunately my problem is even simpler :/

I mean like in the field, if I'm in the middle of a fight and try to switch my secondary from a sniper (that i used to approach an enemy) to my pistol (which I want now that I'm close up), it always seems to also switch my primary in an unpredictable fashion. So I'll have my pistol as my secondary now, but when I try to switch back to my primary suddenly it's not my smg anymore, it's either the sniper or shotgun. It just makes it impossible to reliably switch to the gun combo that I want on the fly.

Like I said, I seem to be missing something really fundamental (or the weapon wheel select system is not to my liking at all lol)

If I'm doing a bad job explaining this don't worry about it, you already helped me with something else I was wondering (durr where's mah bow?) so thanks either way.

bryanee

Finally done with the game. It took 11ish hours to get all achievements.

I love the game, that final mission and the build up to it was fantastic. When that song kicked and the stairs lit up I was fucking pumped. Great stuff.

Talking Dragon plus music from Rocky IV really cracked me up.

Plus the montage and sex scene had me stitches.

I'd like another.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Lol thanks, I was also wondering how to do this, but unfortunately my problem is even simpler :/

I mean like in the field, if I'm in the middle of a fight and try to switch my secondary from a sniper (that i used to approach an enemy) to my pistol (which I want now that I'm close up), it always seems to also switch my primary in an unpredictable fashion. So I'll have my pistol as my secondary now, but when I try to switch back to my primary suddenly it's not my smg anymore, it's either the sniper or shotgun. It just makes it impossible to reliably switch to the gun combo that I want on the fly.

Like I said, I seem to be missing something really fundamental (or the weapon wheel select system is not to my liking at all lol)

If I'm doing a bad job explaining this don't worry about it, you already helped me with something else I was wondering (durr where's mah bow?) so thanks either way.
Sounds like you might be confusing the different switching weapon functions.

There's no primary/secondary preset afaik.

Just the weapon wheel and the last weapon used function. The last weapon you used is always the last weapon you held before the one you hold now, not a locked preset.

So, if you use the wheel to change from pistol to sniper to bow, then press the last weapon used button, it will change to sniper. If you then press it again, it will change to bow.

If you want to always switch from sniper to pistol then you have to use the pistol, then switch to the sniper, then not switch again with anything but the last weapon used button and it should work.

Just guessing here how it might be with a controller, since I play on PC and switch with the number keys to the exact weapon I want, the mouse wheel to the next/previous weapon in the cycle when needed, the last weapon used key whenever I know the weapon I want is the last one I was holding, etc, I never really use the wheel outside changing loadout, but I imagine that is how it works when you don't have number keys/mouse wheel.

Maybe they have changed how it works on a controller/console and the above is all wrong or you're getting a bug that makes the last weapon used not work properly.

Arkos

Sounds like you might be confusing the different switching weapon functions.

There's no primary/secondary preset afaik.

Just the weapon wheel and the last weapon used function. The last weapon you used is always the last weapon you held before the one you hold now, not a locked preset.

So, if you use the wheel to change from pistol to sniper to bow, then press the last weapon used button, it will change to sniper. If you then press it again, it will change to bow.

If you want to always switch from sniper to pistol then you have to use the pistol, then switch to the sniper, then not switch again with anything but the last weapon used button and it should work.

Just guessing here how it might be with a controller, since I play on PC and switch with the number keys to the exact weapon I want, the mouse wheel to the next/previous weapon in the cycle when needed, the last weapon used key whenever I know the weapon I want is the last one I was holding, etc, I never really use the wheel outside changing loadout, but I imagine that is how it works when you don't have number keys/mouse wheel.

Maybe they have changed how it works on a controller/console and the above is all wrong or you're getting a bug that makes the last weapon used not work properly.

Thank you! Figured it out just a second ago, it's just what you say here. I guess its just really counter intuitive to what I'm used to.

The fog/draw distance in this game really hurts the experience, in my opinion. I HATE not being able to see things in the distance. I loved how you could see miles around you in Far Cry 3 if you got to a high enough position, but here, it just becomes a red blur.

The game is still fun, but I'd actually take the bad performance of Far Cry 3 if it meant removing the filters placed on Blood Dragon. Everything looks the same: red sky/black ground. Nothing stands out, and the world seems relatively lifeless. It anything, it just reaffirms my love for FC3. The scale in that game was ridiculous. Maybe I'll buy it soon.

Arkos

Lol what do you mean maybe you'll buy it soon? That's an awkwardly ambiguous thing to end your post with. Did you play at a friend's house? Rent? Pirate? Just curious. Seems like you're fishing for this question so I'll bite

Bombless

You can do a double watery death from below takedown at one point during the end mission, it was freaking awesome. Not sure if you can score one otherwise.

Same for double death from above. Doesn't seem to work on 3+ though :(

Aww, the Blood Dragon Kotaku thread got locked. I'm just watching the credits now. Amazing game, but I seriously wanted to put the controller down after the gay joke. It was a really bad gay joke. I literally fucking cringed when I heard it. I do like the post 80's interpretations of it and how people think this was somehow the zeitgeist of manliness or something in the 80's and how just relax dude. Here's some real talk. In the 80's you wouldn't hear a gay joke in a popular action film. In the 80's we were taught to look at gay people as plague carriers. Of course I didn't believe that shit, but that's what we were taught. I know I'm going to get flamed. Everything in here was spot on 80s and I loved it, except the stupid gay joke. I'm straight and white. I just wonder what people would think if they made a black joke or jewish joke at the start of the game. Don't give me that my best friends are gay and shit. It's just fucking wrong. It's hard enough trying to explain to 12-year-olds on Xbox Live why it's not cool to call people faggots. It's harder still when our past homophobia is enshrined in content meant to mirror the 80s. As cool as the 80s were. we were still really racist, homophobic people back then.

Aww, the Blood Dragon Kotaku thread got locked. I'm just watching the credits now. Amazing game, but I seriously wanted to put the controller down after the gay joke. It was a really bad gay joke. I literally fucking cringed when I heard it. I do like the post 80's interpretations of it and how people think this was somehow the zeitgeist of manliness or something in the 80's and how just relax dude. Here's some real talk. In the 80's you wouldn't hear a gay joke in a popular action film. In the 80's we were taught to look at gay people as plague carriers. Of course I didn't believe that shit, but that's what we were taught. I know I'm going to get flamed. Everything in here was spot on 80s and I loved it, except the stupid gay joke. I'm straight and white. I just wonder what people would think if they made a black joke or jewish joke at the start of the game. Don't give me that my best friends are gay and shit. It's just fucking wrong. It's hard enough trying to explain to 12-year-olds on Xbox Live why it's not cool to call people faggots. It's harder still when our past homophobia is enshrined in content meant to mirror the 80s. As cool as the 80s were. we were still really racist, homophobic people back then.

I'm not gonna dilute this thread with another discussion on the matter, but allow me to say that I think this whole "homophobia" thing has been blown way out of proportion.

lol riding the shark

Should've been possible in the game. :(

Stillmatic

I'm not gonna dilute this thread with another discussion on the matter, but allow me to say that I think this whole "homophobia" thing has been blown way out of proportion.
Indeed.

Loving the game so far! The Terror 4000 is awesome, I cracked up the first time he started yelling.

fuckyou_no_fuckyoueey58.gif

Lol what do you mean maybe you'll buy it soon? That's an awkwardly ambiguous thing to end your post with. Did you play at a friend's house? Rent? Pirate? Just curious. Seems like you're fishing for this question so I'll bite

I played it over a few days through Redbox, but never bought it outright.

Top Bottom