• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon |OT| Sloan's blanket is six feet of my shit.

So I was busy grinding for money (finally got the attachment achievement!) and came across this omega dude. I shot him in the head from behind and for a dead guy he's acting a bit weird :p

http://i.picpar.com/d4o.gif[img][/QUOTE]

I had something weird happen, too:

[IMG]http://abload.de/img/farcrytreerju51.gif

Afterwards I started shooting the tree, and everytime I hit it one of the nearby scientists would exclaim "stop shooting me, that hurt"!

kuroshiki

Not getting the love for this. I mean it's not bad--well, the main missions aren't--but it's super repetitive (save a hostage, hunt some animals, liberate a garrison, or collect crap) and the art direction just seems like Far Cry 3 in the dark with neon lights on everything. Stealth is near worthless considering the weapon upgrades that quickly become available, plus the whole island just seems empty. The weapons and shooting don't feel particularly great either (save for the sniper rifle), though I do like the mobility Rex possesses. Game's just not for me I guess.

If you lived 80s and watched all those campy VHS movies from local blockbuster, then this is like a love letter from the past.

Holy shit at the credit music.

Linius

I had something weird happen, too:

farcrytreerju51.gif

Afterwards I started shooting the tree, and everytime I hit it one of the nearby scientists would exclaim "stop shooting me, that hurt"!

Bugs like these are quite funny :p

GolazoDan

Played a shitload of this earlier. WHAT THE HECK. I'm getting more powerful and the game's totally becoming more fun. I'm going for all the collectibles I can and I've done maybe 3 of the main missions, only got a few more outposts to get, so hopefully I'm an unstoppable killing machine by the end.

Not such a fan of the hostage side missions but eh. Not everyone can be a cyborg soldier. STUPID FRAGILE SCIENTISTS.

Kinda makes me wanna finish OG Far Cry 3. Although I'd miss the one joy of this that isn't in the other: jumping from high places and living.

Linius

finished the game now doing side missions, but I only able to see hostage rescue, How do you find the predator one's?

Some garisons have predator missions and some have hostage missions. Some have both. They both appear on your map and you can activate them at those computers in the garison.

vgJames

Banned
Spent a bit of time with it and my God it is glorious. It's making me find time to buy Far Cry 3 earlier than I intended, the design just really connects with me.

Also, to anyone with the 360 version of the game, can you tell me how well it runs?

About as well as OG FC3, which is to say "OK". Or even "Well, it doesn't crash". I think if you have a nice gaming PC, go with that. I don't know much about the PS3 version.

As for the game itself, finished it yesterday and thought it was awesome, probably my favorite expansion since Undead Nightmare. The last story sequence was pretty amazing. Great music choice there, and great soundtrack overall. Michael Biehn nailed that character. Totally down for a sequel. Somebody earlier mentioned an urban environment, Escape From New York style - that would be the bomb.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Oh, man. If you've got problems with Steam, I'm not sure you're going to like UPlay any better.

I love steam, but i had an episode of terrible customer support there, so i dont want to give Valve any more money than i have to - which is why im always looking for other alternatives.

Ghazi

pretty solid 30fps most of the time for what I could tell, even in the thick of battle.
Sounds good to me, I just learned it has a demo so I'll give that a shot first.
About as well as OG FC3, which is to say "OK". Or even "Well, it doesn't crash". I think if you have a nice gaming PC, go with that. I don't know much about the PS3 version.

I don't have a good enough PC to run it, I seem to remember OG Far Cry 3 tanking hard at times though.

antitrop

pretty solid 30fps most of the time for what I could tell, even in the thick of battle.

Nah. I think you've just been conditioned to poor frame rates by an overlong console generation.

Digital Foundry said:
For a game with such a simple visual design, performance does tend to be a problem on consoles. Tearing is constant during both shoot-outs on 360 and PS3, and 20-30FPS fluctuations are regular - though the Microsoft version fares a tiny bit better in this regard.

Digital Foundry said:
Sadly, performance isn't a strong suit with sustained drops to 22FPS being common-place on both consoles, and tearing also consistently afflicting the entire screen during play.

Digital Foundry said:
Both the PS3 and 360 suffer from permanent tear-lines which streak down the screen in constant waves during shoot-outs, while the frame-rate hits as low as 22FPS on each platform. This isn't isolated to battles either, and even driving around the wastelands produces similarly choppy results, with the frame-rate sustained at that level.

Digital Foundry said:
We had hoped the focused visual style in Blood Dragon would lighten the burden on these platforms, but alas it's the same raw deal as the original Far Cry 3. Both PS3 and 360 deliver closer results in terms of image quality than before - discrepancies in resolution aside - while Microsoft's platform offers a minor advantage in frame-rate when strained. Sadly, aliasing is also now an issue due to the abundance of high-contrast lines around this new futuristic setting.

Nazgul11

I beat the game yesterday, and 100% finished it earlier today. Loved it.

I actually wish there was going to be some DLC for this...DLC.

Bombless

Finished it. Gods, when I got to the point of no return and I heard
TEST YOUR MIGHT
my face went :D and stayed like that until the end of the game. Also DAT LAST SECTION.

Since completing Blood Dragon, I've gone back to finish off my 2nd play through of Far Cry 3... Oh my, running is so slow. Jason Brody needs some MarkIV cyborg legs!

todahawk

Finished it. Gods, when I got to the point of no return and I heard
TEST YOUR MIGHT
my face went :D and stayed like that until the end of the game. Also DAT LAST SECTION.

Hee hee, I so enjoyed the ending. Glorious!
The only thing that possibly could have made it better was some music by Journey.

Nah. I think you've just been conditioned to poor frame rates by an overlong console generation.

I wonder if it's down to how dark some areas are, it's hard to see the stutter, because I played blood dragon after days of forza horizon and felt fine with the frame rate, it was fully playable at least.

antitrop

I wonder if it's down to how dark some areas are, it's hard to see the stutter, because I played blood dragon after days of forza horizon and felt fine with the frame rate, it was fully playable at least.

Yes, absolutely. The visual style definitely masks some of the technical issues, I was watching one of my friends play it on his 360 over the weekend and I didn't find the issues to be as obvious as they were in vanilla Far Cry 3.

I really had no issues watching him play Blood Dragon, but seeing Far Cry 3 on the 360 was an embarrassment to what that game was supposed to look like.

As I've said before in this thread, I was able to turn down a few of the graphical settings on PC in Blood Dragon to get a perfect locked 60fps, because turning down the settings wasn't as noticeable to the IQ as it was in Far Cry 3. I played Far Cry 3 at about 40-50fps because I didn't want to sacrifice the IQ, but in Blood Dragon it barely even looks any different if you knock it down a few notches because of the filter and the perpetual night time setting.

Holy shit at these credits. I dont know why I thought they would be shorter than normal being a download game. I still cant believe ubi always throws the name of everyone in every international office in there too.

Holy shit at these credits. I dont know why I thought they would be shorter than normal being a download game. I still cant believe ubi always throws the name of everyone in every international office in there too.

I thought it might have been a joke since the game is pretty comedic... they pull that shit in every game? Jesus. Utterly ridiculous. It undermines the people who actually did work on the game.

Easy_G

True. The only thing I didn't dig was the incendiary round upgrade you eventually buy. Set myself on fire way too many times and had to unequip.

Definitely. It also causes friendly fire damage when the fire hrs scientists, at which point they start shooting you. It's too powerful, if that makes sense.

Now the sniper rifle with explosive rounds and semi auto? That's just obscene.

Blinck

So a friend of mine is saying that it took him 22 hours to complete everything in this game, all the collectibles and shit. I'm finding conflicting evidence in this thread.

Am I to assume that he is simply on drugs or something ? I can't fanthom it taking this long when everyone is saying they beat the game in an average of 4 to 5 hours.

Linius

So a friend of mine is saying that it took him 22 hours to complete everything in this game, all the collectibles and shit. I'm finding conflicting evidence in this thread.

Am I to assume that he is simply on drugs or something ? I can't fanthom it taking this long when everyone is saying they beat the game in an average of 4 to 5 hours.

He was drunk I guess. I'm a slow player and I played on average difficulty and I'm ten hours in and done almost everything you can. Only missing two achievements for killing 25 dragons and headshot every kind of enemy in the game.

Nebula

I came from Minecraft which runs at 60fps on Xbox to Blood Dragon and it never felt slow or choppy. I didn't see any screen tears either during my playthrough. I did run everywhere though if that would have any effect on it.

He was drunk I guess. I'm a slow player and I played on average difficulty and I'm ten hours in and done almost everything you can. Only missing two achievements for killing 25 dragons and headshot every kind of enemy in the game.

I completed it in 5 hours, and did the collectibles and other missions in an hour afterwards. Still need to kill 25 Dragons and have all weapon attachments bought though.

Blinck

Thanks for the answers guys! I was under the impression that it could not be 22 hours

I also need to get this game ! Although I have JUST played Far Cry 3 so I'm gonna hold off a bit to make sure I don't get fatigue, since it's the same type of gameplay.

aj1467

I came from Minecraft which runs at 60fps on Xbox to Blood Dragon and it never felt slow or choppy. I didn't see any screen tears either during my playthrough. I did run everywhere though if that would have any effect on it.

I completed it in 5 hours, and did the collectibles and other missions in an hour afterwards. Still need to kill 25 Dragons and have all weapon attachments bought though.

Took me 7 hours 45 mins to 100% the game on hard.

todahawk

I did it on medium. If I knew there wasn't an achievement for difficulties then I would have gone straight to hard so I could get the most time out of the game.

but you'd miss out on another playthrough on hard!

working on my playthrough on hard and you have to be a little more careful but still having loads of fun. Best $15 I ever spent. $5 considering I had my $10 bonus from Sony.

Early in the game found a decent way to heavily damage blood dragons, i put down my mines and c4, back up and toss a cyberheart in front so that the BD sits with his special spot right over the pile of explosives... BOOM. nice chunk of health gone. mop up and gain some big CP early.

Nokterian

WHERE DID YOU GET THAT POSTER... I want!!!!

A few pages back there is a link to download that art what you see. And i have blown it up to make it A1 Poster size well my brother did that and then i searched on the internet for a company who prints posters for a low price and i have found one here in the netherlands.

Miker

Is anybody who's playing the UPlay version getting saving issues? Well, I think it's saving issues - I do the (really goddamn annoying) tutorial, clear out the first camp, head down into the basement with Spider, then die, decide to call it a day, and when I try to load my save later, it starts me at the opening cutscene.

My question is: is that because I haven't triggered a checkpoint yet, or is my game just not saving? That's ridiculous if I can't save 40+ minutes into the game.

EDIT: From what I've read so far, it looks like I just haven't played long enough to trigger an actual save yet. I can't believe I have to play that long just to save.

Easy_G

Is anybody who's playing the UPlay version getting saving issues? Well, I think it's saving issues - I do the (really goddamn annoying) tutorial, clear out the first camp, head down into the basement with Spider, then die, decide to call it a day, and when I try to load my save later, it starts me at the opening cutscene.

My question is: is that because I haven't triggered a checkpoint yet, or is my game just not saving? That's ridiculous if I can't save 40+ minutes into the game.

EDIT: From what I've read so far, it looks like I just haven't played long enough to trigger an actual save yet. I can't believe I have to play that long just to save.

Yeah, I did the same thing as you. It's really annoying. Once you get past that, saving is normal and the game gets more fun in general.

Raptor

About to try the demo, so performance of this one is similar to Far Cry 3 right? On 360 I mean.

I want to use this as a demo because I plan on buying FC3 too.

Top Bottom