• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 Review Thread

Demon Ice

Banned
Wow. Excited to pick this up when I get a chance. Shocked at that Eurogamer review. Glad this one seems to be correcting all the mistakes FC2 made.

I'm sure there will be mods to tone down the PC version's HUD popups.

Jac_Solar

Wow, I was surprised to hear that the reviews for Far Cry 3 are out. But is there any word on the world size yet? As in, square miles, or "approximate" size compared to Skyrim/Far Cry 2, etc.

It's great that reviews are basically saying tha the actual game is awesome, so it'd be fantastic if the world was huge and filled with content/fun to explore.

SpaceHorror

Far Cry 3 map editor allows for land sharks...

Ubisoft, you magnificent bastards.

landsharks-1.jpg

I'm watching the 45 minutes of PS3 footage posted earlier in the thread and I have to say I'm pretty impressed with it's performance. Yeah, it's got tearing, pop-in, and framerate dips, but at this point that's par for the course for a new open-world game running on six year-old hardware. Dragon's Dogma and AC3 both had those as well, and at this point I think expecting a flawless 30fps experience from a sandbox game is setting yourself up for disappointment.

True but Dragon's Dogma and ACIII have Vsync which goes A LOOOONG WAY in my book. I'll tolerate a lower avg fps if there's zero tearing

That being said, I made it through Alan Wake on 360 so I can make it through this =P

Ceebs

The Rock Paper Shotgun review has made this a day one (assuming my GPU is back by then)

Sounds like exactly what I wanted from the game.

-Stranger-

I've been hyped for this for awhile, it's release has kind of snuck up on me.
I'm not sure I'll have enough money to get this next week! :(
I'm one of the few who actually enjoyed FarCry 2, It's good to see it's getting great reviews.

SpaceHorror

So can you make missions also or is it just map maker and than always death match/Team death match?

I don't know if you can actually design missions within it, but you can drop hostile AI enemies and wildlife into your map.

You can also drop friendly AI mercenaries. You can basically design your own sand box to screw around in.

commissar

I don't know if you can actually design missions within it, but you can drop hostile AI enemies and wildlife into your map.

You can also drop friendly AI mercenaries. You can basically design your own sand box to screw around in.
Holy shit that is awesome :O

maybe preorder now and try turning everything down....

Finally watched all the video reviews..the game looks exceptional. Like GOTY exceptional.

And damn I wasn't expecting to buy another console game this whole year

Whaa! You can add AI to the maps now? You couldn't do that in FC2 right?

Yes, I can now recreate Jungle from GoldenEye 64!

Watching the OPM walkthrough and yeah, aside from the tearing (which may be exacerbated by the video capture kit), the performance is really solid. Also, SSAO is in and looks really nice!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Really glad I preordered this on Newegg for $45 now. I was considering cancelling to save some cash but this sounds really great. I just hope that Ubi's "OMG people love Vaas he's so brilliant" thing actually pans out since he doesn't seem that great from what I've seen. I'm also going to roll my eyes if you end up being him or something like that. Otherwise the gameplay looks really great. Far Cry 2 had some awesome ideas with really terrible execution but it sounds like they nailed this.

Goldmund

Xbox Front 8/10 said:
Pro und Contra

+ authentische Charaktere
+ riesen Umfang
+ abwechslungsreiches Gameplay
+ innovative Mehrspieler-Modi
+ Map-Editor
+ sehr gute Sprecher

- katastrophale Framerate
- grobes Tearing
- starkes Kantenflimmern
- nicht Lippensynchron
Catastrophic frame rate, severe tearing, flickering edges, voice acting not lip synced (German dub): 8/10.

Amir0x

Banned
Catastrophic frame rate, severe tearing, flickering edges, voice acting not lip synced (German dub): 8/10.

"Catastrophic Framerate" sounds like a framerate so bad it could end the world.

Thank you PC for bestowing upon us your superior values so we can skip this framerate problems if we so desire :p

Jac_Solar

Top Bottom