• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 5 keyart revealed

Am I missing something?

Did they leak the protag would be female?

I still feel with this subject matter ubi might be tackling, they'd probably just do a white protag to avoid "race war allegations" since the game is intended for a large audience.

You missed nothing and you're probably right.

Was just idle conjecture.

We'll know in 7 hours anyway.

I'm just gonna say I probably have some idea what I'm talking about with 15 years in the Marine Corps. Stop basing realife on a TV channel. There are millions of prior military members in the work force, seeing 10 of them on TV isn't pretty true.

Just like other people, military members don't like being stereotyped. However, your right it isn't that serious and I strayed pretty deep into the rabbit hole with my post. I apologize for that.

On topic: as mentioned in a post above it would be great to have a protgonist other than a white male. Maybe someone in their family is kidnapped, maybe it is the husband. The guy kneeling at the table, probably says they are kidnapping folks. Being able to put these religious cultist down sounds like a or of fun.

We both have real life experience with military and at least here in Southern California there are quite a few prior military who rock the full beard. Maybe it's a wide spread trend among white 30-something males that I also associate with ex military because I work with ones that happen to wear that style.

The last thing I intended to do was offend anyone with that post. I don't see anything wrong with being a prepper or gun nut or even a "tacticool" high speed operator. I was just making an observation of the types of people I've personally seen wear that style of beard the most.

BadManEd

Neo Member
It's all over the place.

Looks like they're still going for the "memorable antagonist" again which is a shame 'cause I feel it's stemmed from that Far Cry 3 "insanity" guy whose edgy dialogue and just above average performance allowed him to stand-out amongst otherwise bland characters and is now massively overrated.

Looking forward to gameplay, regardless.

Completely agree!

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
We both have real life experience with military and at least here in Southern California there are quite a few prior military who rock the full beard. Maybe it's a wide spread trend among white 30-something males that I also associate with ex military because I work with ones that happen to wear that style.

The last thing I intended to do was offend anyone with that post. I don't see anything wrong with being a prepper or gun nut or even a "tacticool" high speed operator. I was just making an observation of the types of people I've personally seen wear that style of beard the most.

I apoligze on my end, I guess I just don't want myself or other military members being associated as gun toting crazies with beards, because of our chosen profession.

Living in South Carolina in Beaufort on a bunch of small islands may be different for you out in California, where the latest trends folks see in movies, they do in their lives. Like having a beard and such.

Again, if nothing was meant by it, then I was clearly in the wrong and an apology is in order.

Have you guys seen Red State? I really get the vibes, and I can't wait to jump in! It even reminds me of the "THE CHURCH SCENE".
As a moderate Christian, I am going to love this game (!!!)

But I want to point something out here. I am not going to point fingers, but a lot of people in here are generalizing every Trump voter to be a Radical-Christian-Preaching-Redneck, who hates everyone but themselves, and I, thought that we all preached for diverseness and not generalizing people into groups... Just my 2 cents.

Can we get a timer on the front page? Just so it makes easier for all us non-US !

BBboy20

But I want to point something out here. I am not going to point fingers, but a lot of people in here are generalizing every Trump voter to be a Radical-Christian-Preaching-Redneck, who hates everyone but themselves, and I, thought that we all preached for diverseness and not generalizing people into groups... Just my 2 cents.

Can we get a timer on the front page? Just so it makes easier for all us non-US !
Unfortently, despite Trump displayed himself as the American version of the Anti-Christ for all of the world to see, the majority of the faithful still elected him.

SeanTSC

I hope this is the most cathartic game ever and pulls no punches about how shitty these kinds of people are. Half the country supports monsters that want to see me dying from starvation in a gutter without the medication I need just because I'm poor, disabled, and not christian and I've got some serious stress to work out.

BBboy20

I think you are missing what I am trying to say, and the linked data actually supports my point. I don't want to get political, I am just asking people not to generalize and to choose their wording carefully.
The point is when a devout votes for someone who failed to capitalize them and clearly shows cases the very traits one's dogma would abhor to yet supported that person anyways? To give that population the benefit of the doubt after such clarity during the Presidential Election? No. And the box art here alone, it's going to get political
even so human rights violations are not but are treated as such anyways.

And the bold there can be perceived as snowflake syndrome.

I hope this is the most cathartic game ever and pulls no punches about how shitty these kinds of people are. Half the country supports monsters that want to see me dying from starvation in a gutter without the medication I need just because I'm poor, disabled, and not christian and I've got some serious stress to work out.
That would be funny if the French* "saved us" again.

*Publisher, not the studio.

Tajaz2426

The point is when a devout votes for someone who failed to capitalize them and clearly shows cases the very traits one's dogma would abhor to yet supported that person anyways? To give that population the benefit of the doubt after such clarity during the Presidential Election? No. And the box art here alone, it's going to get political

That would be funny if the French* "saved us" again.

*Publisher, not the studio.

You do realize that when Obama used drone strikes in his first term, we killed many civilian women and children, yet when he ran his second term, part of the platform was nation security and the continued use of said drones.

It doesn't make us folks who voted for him a second time horrible people, because we knew there would be collateral damage, does it? I mean The continued use was pretty clear that it would cost civilian lives, but heck I voted for him twice.

A lot of folks still voted for him even though we knew it would cost women and children their lives. You see you can't have it just one way. Just because some voted a certain way, you can't condemn them as a whole.

Unless of course you are condemning us all, which I am perfectly ok with.

2VzmC.gif

Tajaz2426

OléGunner;238127043 said:
Why are people so mad?
Because the game probably involves killing Conservative Christian loons?

Lemme guess, people think of them as Trump supporters.

I'm thinking that is what we are seeing from both sides.This is some of the funniest threads I have seen, though.

I think from the art it is some cultists, that are kidnapping people and want to be there own country. The flag I believe gives it away, i can't wait to hear more. Hopefully it will be a great story driven game.

AudioEppa

I'm thinking that is what we are seeing from both sides.This is some of the funniest threads I have seen, though.

I think from the art it is some cultists, that are kidnapping people and want to be there own country. The flag I believe gives it away, i can't wait to hear more. Hopefully it will be a great story driven game.

That's what I'm hoping too.

Yeah I get it's a politically charged environment nowadays but anyone getting angry over this seems rather absurd.

The game has been in dev before this Trump shit anyway.

I have hopes for a great story too, teasers were already intriguing!

Basketball

This is exactly like when a game comes out and has tits and ass

and people are like oh man Anita and the numales will hate this ... when in reality nobody will give a shit except a few click baiters and random tweets/facebook posts.

SeanTSC

OléGunner;238127403 said:
Yeah I get it's a politically charged environment nowadays but anyone getting angry over this seems rather absurd.

The game has been in dev before this Trump shit anyway.

I have hopes for a great story too, teasers were already intriguing!

Trump's not even the biggest problem, for me anyways. Pretty much the entire GoP pushes policy that fucks poor people as hard as possible to give more money to the rich. Literally tens of millions of people are looking at losing their health care, and many other necessary support systems, and that's on the whole party, not just Trump. Not to mention the Racism, Sexism, Anti-Science crap, etc.

Trump's not even the biggest problem, for me anyways. Pretty much the entire GoP pushes policy that fucks poor people as hard as possible to give more money to the rich. Literally tens of millions of people are looking at losing their health care, and many other necessary support systems, and that's on the whole party, not just Trump. Not to mention the Racism, Sexism, Anti-Science crap, etc.

Yeah I get all of that and really sympathise with you.
My question is what does any of this have in relation to Far Cry 5?

Genuine question.

SeanTSC

OléGunner;238127691 said:
Yeah I get all of that and really sympathise with you.
My question is what does any of this have in relation to Far Cry 5?

Genuine question.

Well just look at the art. It's clearly imagery evocative of the kind of people who vote R no matter what, because Jesus, Abortions, Guns, and Black People/Muslims and "Liburals" are The Devil.

A conversation about that is going to happen with this game. It's pretty obvious what subject matter they're going to touch upon, especially given their last couple games and how they've been about really, really shitty people.

It's not like they pulled too many punches in FC4 either - on one side you ended up with someone who conscripted the entire population into a drug manufacturing army and the other side was pure religious zealotry where they killed non-believers and forced underage girls into arranged marriages. And neither of those were even the "bad guy" of the game - they were the two sides you worked with against Min! I actually hated FC4 for how shitty it ended and how you nothing you did made anything better in the slightest.

Hopefully FC5 has a better ending.

BBboy20

You do realize that when Obama used drone strikes in his first term, we killed many civilian women and children, yet when he ran his second term, part of the platform was nation security and the continued use of said drones.

It doesn't make us folks who voted for him a second time horrible people, because we knew there would be collateral damage, does it? I mean The continued use was pretty clear that it would cost civilian lives, but heck I voted for him twice.

A lot of folks still voted for him even though we knew it would cost women and children their lives. You see you can't have it just one way. Just because some voted a certain way, you can't condemn them as a whole.

Unless of course you are condemning us all, which I am perfectly ok with.
If one fails to notice the highest probability of worst-case scenarios occurring when evaluating someone like Trump....may God have mercy on their souls.

Well just look at the art. It's clearly imagery evocative of the kind of people who vote R no matter what, because Jesus, Abortions, Guns, and Black People/Muslims and "Liburals" are The Devil.

A conversation about that is going to happen with this game. It's pretty obvious what subject matter they're going to touch upon, especially given their last couple games and how they've been about really, really shitty people.

It's not like they pulled too many punches in FC4 either - on one side you ended up with someone who conscripted the entire population into a drug manufacturing army and the other side was pure religious zealotry where they killed non-believers and forced underage girls into arranged marriages. And neither of those were even the "bad guy" of the game - they were the two sides you worked with against Min! I actually hated FC4 for how shitty it ended and how you nothing you did made anything better in the slightest.

Hopefully FC5 has a better ending.

Imo I think you maybe projecting and working yourself up into a frenzy.
Let's wait for some gameplay or story trailer to know where things stand.

Edit: wouldn't you be happy to takedown religious zealots, racists or cultists in this game anyway?

Am I missing something?

Did they leak the protag would be female?

I still feel with this subject matter ubi might be tackling, they'd probably just do a white protag to avoid "race war allegations" since the game is intended for a large audience.
Huuh? A female protagonist in Far cry? That'd be interesting to see.

SeanTSC

OléGunner;238128867 said:
Edit: wouldn't you be happy to takedown religious zealots, racists or cultists in this game anyway?

Yes, that was the entire point of my comments, I will be very happy to do so. I am excited and in a pleasant mood. Did you totally misread what I meant? I said I hope this game is cathartic for me.I think this game has the potential to be fucking great.

Yes, that was the entire point of my comments, I will be very happy to do so. I am excited and in a pleasant mood. Did you totally misread what I meant? I said I hope this game is cathartic for me.I think this game has the potential to be fucking great.

Ahh sorry mate I mis-read then!
Your tone seemed more upset/angry over the games approach to potential themes and commentary. My bad.

Haha yeah this should be an EXTREMELY cathartic game for a lot of you US guys if the chips fall down the way you outlined earlier.

Top Bottom