• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Farpoint VR Story Trailer

This really looks polished for VR title. Hope we get more content like this.

Sony drop the price on VR @E3 so I can get this!!! $199 and I am in.

How do you move in this game? Does it support the nav controller?
The aim controller has two sticks on it, one for movement and the other I assume for turning although I could be wrong about that.

You can also play this game with a DS4 but I imagine it'll be a lot more fun with the aim controller.

Anyone heard anything about the games length ? It's looking great and I really want it to be around 6-8 hours, not just another VR game that is 2 hours, especially as it's not the cheapest game because of the gun accessory.

ryseing

Anyone heard anything about the games length ? It's looking great and I really want it to be around 6-8 hours, not just another VR game that is 2 hours, especially as it's not the cheapest game because of the gun accessory.

Dev is saying 4-6. There is a separate co-op mode as well for some extra replayability.

Pif

Banned
No it's linear but you have free movement.
You can only move forward or am I mistaken? There is 1 analog for forward/backward movement and strafe, and you turn the camera by aiming the gun controller. Since you can't rurn your back to the ps camera you are limited to "free" always ahead movement.

I got that jmpression from hands-on videos last year.

raindoc

You can only move forward or am I mistaken? There is 1 analog for forward/backward movement and strafe, and you turn the camera by aiming the gun controller. Since you can't rurn your back to the ps camera you are limited to "free" always ahead movement.

The camera moves with the headset, I'd assume... also there's two analog sticks on the Aim-controller - so I'm hoping one of them allows me to turn around, I imagine it would be really weird if I couldn't and I feel like it would break immersion.

audio_delay

Neo Member

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/explore/accessories/playstation-vr-aim-controller/
The ps vr aim has two sticks and the psvr has leds on the back. The leds on the back, like the ones in the front, are used to track, how the hmd is facing the camera.

gafneo

Banned
Resident Evil 7 was a hardcore game in VR and last 12hrs Long. VR games might be a thing now that Sony had a few years to work on it.

Story seems pretty engaging should be decent sci fi material I like that they are investing into that as part of a good vr experience.

So far re7 has been the coolest vr for me.

Dev is saying 4-6. There is a separate co-op mode as well for some extra replayability.

One thing I fear about the current VR development trend is that they're going for these shorter experiences and not even entertaining the idea of real staying power, which is what VR actually needs right now. Not that 4-6 is bad, but you also have to look at the type of game that it is. It's a linear shooter with the story as a big draw. After you've played it, you've probably experienced a majority of what it has to offer.

If this game was to be a true success I'd say it would at least need a fairly fleshed out horde mode, otherwise it could get buried in the sea of short but entertaining experiences that you play through in one sitting and never pick up again. Especially with PSVR where games are fewer and further between, there need to be more games that keep you interested for long enough that there aren't huge slumps in between.

The camera moves with the headset, I'd assume... also there's two analog sticks on the Aim-controller - so I'm hoping one of them allows me to turn around, I imagine it would be really weird if I couldn't and I feel like it would break immersion.

I don't know. I watched this pretty lengthy gameplay demo and the player never does any 90 degree rotations right or left let alone looks directly behind them. Even when enemies jump at him, they never end up behind him (though you can back up). At first, I thought it looked like rotation is down to the direction you're facing, but there are a couple times where the player moves forward while looking to the side so not really sure.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/explore/accessories/playstation-vr-aim-controller/
The ps vr aim has two sticks and the psvr has leds on the back. The leds on the back, like the ones in the front, are used to track, how the hmd is facing the camera.
I'd bet the two sticks are mostly for future proofing since they want other games to use the gun as well. Also entirely possible forward and back are on one stick while strafe is on the other, or it could just have other functions like ammo select or something.

The game also supports DS4 so if you can't turn with a DS4 something is wrong game design wise.

Resident Evil 7 was a hardcore game in VR and last 12hrs Long. VR games might be a thing now that Sony had a few years to work on it.

Indeed and it was awesome. Now I'm not saying all VR games should be really long, some VR games work great in short bursts but with how good Farpoint is looking, I just don't want it to be over too soon.

Fisty

I'm REALLY not liking the prospect of paying over $100 US just because I don't want the disc

Please give us a controller + digital code for $80

ryseing

One thing I fear about the current VR development trend is that they're going for these shorter experiences and not even entertaining the idea of real staying power, which is what VR actually needs right now. Not that 4-6 is bad, but you also have to look at the type of game that it is. It's a linear shooter with the story as a big draw. After you've played it, you've probably experienced a majority of what it has to offer.

If this game was to be a true success I'd say it would at least need a fairly fleshed out horde mode, otherwise it could get buried in the sea of short but entertaining experiences that you play through in one sitting and never pick up again. Especially with PSVR where games are fewer and further between, there need to be more games that keep you interested for long enough that there aren't huge slumps in between.

This is what I thought RIGS and Battlezone both did really well. If you have a budget for X amount of content, it's smart to design around that in order to encourage replayability. From what the devs of Farpoint are saying, it sounds like the co-op will be that sort of mode since there are enemy and weapon variations on the four different maps. There's also a challenge mode that strips the campaign of cutscenes and has leaderboards and such.

Some sort of PvP would have been the real killer mode for this thing, but alas.

Nope, sorry guys. New Aim Controller and DS4 only.

Please link to something that shows the sharpshooter is not compatible. I will be pissed as hell, as the only reason I've kept the thing and nav controller was for FPS games on PSVR.

Edit
Just saw a pic of the PS aim and it has dual analogs! Got damn it.
I am not buying a second thingy to be only supported in 3-4 titles. Do we have list or some info with already released and future supported titles?

Please link to something that shows the sharpshooter is not compatible. I will be pissed as hell, as the only reason I've kept the thing and nav controller was for FPS games on PSVR.

Edit
Just saw a pic of the PS aim and it has dual analogs! Got damn it.
I am not buying a second thingy to be only supported in 3-4 titles. Do we have list or some info with already released and future supported titles?

Farpoint Developer Twitter Account

Currently there are 3 games with PSVR Aim Support announced: Farpoint, Dick Wilde, The Brookhaven Experiment. Also, Sony has teased they have other in house VR games that will support it.

Krakn3Dfx

I have the bundle with the gun pre-ordered on Amazon. I haven't touched my PSVR in like 2 months. Hopefully this isn't garbage.

Currently there are 3 games with PSVR Aim Support announced: Farpoint, Dick Wilde, The Brookhaven Experiment. Also, Sony has teased they have other in house VR games that will support it.

CkU3-Y3VEAAopnk.jpg

mishakoz

Played this at a couple events. Really excited for it in VR, hope the "desert" wont be the dominant environment.

Looks even more interesting than before story wise.

Unknown?

Nope, sorry guys. New Aim Controller and DS4 only.
Considering the bundle is cheap, no biggie for me.

Oh that's fantastic! Glad to know it'll support more games. I have to say it's much more slick than the sharpshooter.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Seems better than expected, now give me two or three more of these complete games, provide they're actually legit good, and I might be ready to save money for VR.

Top Bottom