• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame / Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water |OT| Pokémon Snap U: After Dark

Shizuka

I know what you mean. For me FF games are almost always about what the story does, how they incorporate folklore into it, and the overall terrifying atmosphere that just lingers.

The combat stuff is never something that does it for me, but I'm enjoying it a lot more on the gamepad.

The story was great, but the backstory was really weird. They were throwing so many terms and names and folklore tales at me, all at the same time, I could barely gather what "blackwater" or "immortal flower" were by the end of the game.

Akibared

I'm pretty chicken when it comes to horror games, I can barely play games like Amnesia and others from the genre. I think that what removed the horror from me was that I never felt weak or powerless against the ghosts. It was just getting your camera up, lock the enemy and wait for a fatal frame.

That's always been the case for me with these games outside of the enemies you can't kill. Those are always my favorite moments since can't use my magic fuck up everything camera.

I must say that I'm really getting a lot out of the story as a long term fan. They're answering a few of the mysteries from previous games (such as what happened to the protagonists).

The last two chapters were definitely good again, after several lackluster ones. Even more so because of the increased fighting. The combat with traditional controls might be the best part of this game.
Also, I thought the bonus chapters were going to be dumb fun, but right now it seems like they could be more tense than several stretches of the main game :lol

I think there's two points to summarize why this game is in many parts not very scary or atmospheric at all (i.e. boring and also frustrating, since it could have been much better based on the other parts that were good):

First, it's way too easy. You usually have at least 40 healing items, even if you don't particularly search for more (as they keep respawning) - ridiculous. Also, the core game structure has been severely dumbed down. Saying that criticism like backtracking is equal to older titles is stupid, because old survival horror games like FF1 and Resident Evil or FF2 and Silent Hill basically had a Metroidvania structure.
They had puzzles, they had you exploring a connected map, they had hidden key items to progress and find new areas by yourself.
This game doesn't have any of that. ,,Backtracking" in here is running on the same linear line over and over again. Areas are mostly interesting only once, because it's not like you'll ever find new stuff on the second or third run, since the simple game structure doesn't feature anything beyond.

Secondly, the story is rubbish and prevents an overarching dread. There's a decent amount of legitimately spooky images, scenes, etc. within this game, but they aren't connected by a proper narrative. It's obvious if you compare it to the fan favorite of the series.
FF2: You fall into an inescapable village, whose undead residents are hunting intruders like yourself for demon sacrifice. Through an increasingly gruesome chain of substories of other sacrificed victims, you find out that your only way out is to literally approach an open gate of hell that has caused everything. Easy to understand and to be spooked by.
FF5 on the other hand is all over the place. At first it's about suicides, but also about ghost busters with sixth sense syndrome, then there's ghost photos, a super dumb killing ritual with boxes, then everything's about ghost marriage and oh, this is all supposed to make you scared of... water? what? It's super incoherent, plots barely evolve and the connections between them feel forced at best. You barely know what the real evil is.

Also, an important thing about other horror games is the fact that you are trapped in a scenario. In this game, the characters just casually leave the haunted place whenever they want. With that, the backtracking not only becomes boring gameplay-wise, but goofy and non-threatening atmosphere-wise. It doesn't help that
no one dies except that hipster from flashbacks
. I'm not sure whether the story ambitions of 3 characters and too many themes is the result or the reason for the flawed game structure, but lots of shit needed to be cut.

Sadist

Reached the final chapter, but I'm keeping that bad boy for tomorrow.

As for the past few chapters...

So... Miku has been asleep for 14 years? Man they weren't kidding about being neither dead or alive. At this point they could be sisters.

I do think the game is easier. Certainly easier than expected. Leaving out my first try on chapter I've never scored beneath an A-rank. I'm not complaining, but it's surprising to see. As for chapter 12...

First time in the game that gave me chills. It has some fun scare moments like the ghost under Yuri's bed, but the best one is the Tall Woman. Earlier in this thread I was somewhat disappointed by the ghost design, but I will say that the tall woman is legit. Her appearance is far better, more creepy than any other ghost. Especially when she stares in the security camera during Hojo's stakeouts. Excellent.

Akibared

Reached the final chapter, but I'm keeping that bad boy for tomorrow.

As for the past few chapters...

So... Miku has been asleep for 14 years? Man they weren't kidding about being neither dead or alive. At this point they could be sisters.

I do think the game is easier. Certainly easier than expected. Leaving out my first try on chapter I've never scored beneath an A-rank. I'm not complaining, but it's surprising to see. As for chapter 12...

First time in the game that gave me chills. It has some fun scare moments like the ghost under Yuri's bed, but the best one is the Tall Woman. Earlier in this thread I was somewhat disappointed by the ghost design, but I will say that the tall woman is legit. Her appearance is far better, more creepy than any other ghost. Especially when she stares in the security camera during Hojo's stakeouts. Excellent.

You must mean 13 and that's one of the best!
I feel like they went all out with it I felt legit dread from it! I agree on the Tall Woman she's one of the best things from this game.

ohlawd

man, reading these reactions after finishing the game :(

unless my remaining pick ups of the year surprise me
Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Rodea and the Sky Soldier
Stella Glow
Xenoblade Chronicles X

Fatal Frame V is going to end up being my #2 in the 2015 voting thread >_>

Akibared

All done I got the good endings for everyone and the last boss was pretty cool. Now time to try out my girl Ayane! I am a bit disappointing that I don't just get the Nintendo alts from simply beating the game. Having to play that hour and half again two more time would burn me out.

Sadist

Completed the game. Running through the last part because I got the terrible ending;

Btw, what the fudge is going on? In the last fight, I'm trying to Fatal Glance the boss above water and the button prompt won't appear. That's bull. Or am I doing something wrong?

Ulysses 31

Completed the game. Running through the last part because I got the terrible ending;

Btw, what the fudge is going on? In the last fight, I'm trying to Fatal Glance the boss above water and the button prompt won't appear. That's bull. Or am I doing something wrong?

Think you have to do each phase at least once and then you can do the fatal glances... >.>

Shizuka

Think you have to do each phase at least once and then you can do the fatal glances... >.>

I tried that and it didn't work. I died so many times waiting for the overwater glance that I just did it underwater and watched the other ending on Youtube.

Ulysses 31

I tried that and it didn't work. I died so many times waiting for the overwater glance that I just did it underwater and watched the other ending on Youtube.

I recall the prompt never showing up for me and I just held down ZR when I was real close the 2nd time I was above water.

You need both endings for that ZZS. =)

Sadist

Thanks guys, but now the prompt did appear. I'm okay with this. :)

I'll post a write-up tomorrow with thoughts on the game.

catbrush

After putting the game down for about a week between drop 2 and 3. I found myself stuck on synch shots for about 20 minutes, helplessly trying to focus on the note. I had quite a laugh when I realized I had to hold ZR.

Does the game get scarier later on? So far I've been loving the atmosphere, but none of the encounters have really left a lasting impression on me.

Yes. I found Drop 4 and Drop 6 the most tense so far. There'a couple of ghosts and encounters in Drop 6 that were...unsettling. And weird.

I will try to be brave...

Sadist

Oh well, let's just do a write-up now...

First, I enjoyed Maiden of Black Water. Overall it's been a weird experience, but that's FF/PZ franchise in a nutshell. This is the second In the series I've played (The Wii version of PZ II being the first) and I'm allready sure I prefer the Wiimake over Maiden of Black Water. There is no shame in that though. II is a great game with a lot of tense moments and it's defintely up there with the best horror games ever made. Still, while not on par with PZ II, I find MoBW to be an enjoyable, but flawed adventure.

- I think my biggest "disappointment" would be the ghost design. When I first played PZ II I got spooked by the horriffic designs of the ghosts and the details they had. The broken neck lady (with her head dangling in front of her chest) is the stuff of nightmares. The ghosts in MoBW are... safe. Not as out there or creepy. Most ghosts felt like something calming or even soothing. Well almost. They're trying to kill me.
The best designs for ghosts in this game are the Tall Lady (oh man Ren's stakeout in the last chapter: nightmare fuel), the hanged lady and that one guy with cracking bones and stuff. Everything else felt... too... calm.

- Yes, the controls are clunky. If you don't like those, well that's part of the charm. Not a big fan on this of gameplay? Well you need to skip this. A quick turn option would be nice.

- Regarding the story... it's okay. Yuri and Ren are nice, but...
they could have done without the girl. It's a real small plot and she didn't have anything of big stuff going on.

- Graphics are sweet. Especially the character models are fantastic. Yes there's some recycling going on there but I don't care

- Zero Suit Samus here to save the day.

Akibared

I agree on Miu she didn't add much to the story other than
yay Miku is back still stuck on her brother! Would have been nice if they went into her gravure idol backstory more.
As for ghosts
the one who got ran over by the car was really creepy especially at the end of 6 where he's screaming don't leave me!
Fatal Frame 2 is right behind REmake as one of my favorite horror games I really need to play that remake! I think I'm going to play that next month once I can pull myself away from Fallout 4.

Does the game get scarier later on? So far I've been loving the atmosphere, but none of the encounters have really left a lasting impression on me.

Yes. I found Drop 4 and Drop 6 the most tense so far. There'a couple of ghosts and encounters in Drop 6 that were...unsettling. And weird.

h0tp0ck3t

So I think it's safe to say that
drop 13
is easily the best part of the game. Goddamn that was intense
Tall Woman staring into the security camera literally made me drop the controller lol

-shadow-

Love the VHS tape effects during the Fatal Glances. The ghost's deaths in this game are just brutal.
Drop 4 spoiler:
The man who went mad and started murdering the maidens and than hack into their eyes
I found really disturbing.

I absolutely love it!

Drop 4 spoiler:
The man who went mad and started murdering the maidens and than hack into their eyes
I found really disturbing.

I absolutely love it!

Yeah him and Drop 6 spoilers:
the guy who was driving his car who sees a young women standing by the road then a weird corpse falling into his car causing him to crash then trying to crawl away from the wreckage only for his own car to run him over. I thought the camera would pan away he was about to get hit but nope, you see the poor bastard get crushed. The dude was fucked even if he managed to get to the tunnel anyway since the ghosts who died in the cave in would have had him. There was a bunch of other ghost backstories during Drop 6 that featured that VHS aesthetic and a weird droning/distorted scream sound in the background which was really creepy.

pronk420

Sorry if this is covered in the thread but i couldn't find it in op, can you play this off screen (entirely on the game pad screen with no tv?)

TheMoon

Sorry if this is covered in the thread but i couldn't find it in op, can you play this off screen (entirely on the game pad screen with no tv?)

sighyalgb.jpg

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Playing this alongside revelations 2 explain a lot of today's survival horror issues

FF is the last true classic horror left out there

pronk420

Oh wow I can't read, don't know how I missed that

Weird thing is I did some googling and nintendolife suggests you can

Just started this up, on Drop 1. Horror games are always really difficult for me first time through, not sure why I'm such a baby. One thing I've noticed so far is checkpoints seem pretty few and far between and there are a lot of easily missable pictures. How important is grabbing all the pics?

adroit

One thing I've noticed so far is checkpoints seem pretty few and far between and there are a lot of easily missable pictures. How important is grabbing all the pics?
This is my first FF game so I'm no expert but I think the ghost photos are mostly for replayability. Missing them isn't going to block your progress as far as I can tell.

This is my first FF game so I'm no expert but I think the ghost photos are mostly for replayability. Missing them isn't going to block your progress as far as I can tell.
Thanks. Seems like maybe points for ranking each drop and maybe chapter percentage?

Enjoying it quite a bit, on the first interlude now. Fear seems to have dropped out of the equation as I get more used to combat. Mostly just edgy trying to grab photos quick enough and not get jumped by ghosts while trying to sync. Had some difficulty in Drop 2 but started locking on in Drop 3 and had a better time, not to mention the 4 shot is pretty nice. Which leads me to my next question.

Upgrade paths. Which cameras, what functions? I'm thinking Yuri first and loader followed by output.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So there is something interesting to point out, about a week ago I watched the best friends play the demo for the game, in a part which they meet the actual myuri and not a shadow in which they didn't know at first and attempted to take a photo a ghost pops up suddenly when this happens and gives a bit of a really good scare plus fight, I didn't make it to that part yet so when I sat down and played it I kinda tried to replicate it but there was only like a shadowing wavy ghost figure to my right that kinda just disappeared, I didn't get the scare nor did I Had to fight the ghost, I just found that interesting.

Xenoboy

Oh god, I just finished Drop 2. Those freaking kid ghosts scared me good, I didn't really understand what was happening at their fatal glance though.

I have some questions though. When dodging, can I dodge while I have the camera up? I didn't really get that. And I can't either seem to evade those hands when picking up stuff, any tips on that?
Lastly, how does the wetness thing actually work? :p

llehuty

I have some questions though. When dodging, can I dodge while I have the camera up? I didn't really get that. And I can't either seem to evade those hands when picking up stuff, any tips on that?
Lastly, how does the wetness thing actually work? :p

For dodging with the camera
you unlock one extension for the camera early on)

For evading the hands, the timing is quie tricky, but doable.

For wetness, I think you can attract more ghosts if you are wet. You can get it from ghosts touching you, or going through wet areas.

Just finished drop 6. So far my favourite chapter. This game is incredibly dark and depressing, like some of the background lore about
the maidens and how they're basically nothing more than living dumpsters for peoples sins being locked away to rot in those boxes.... uah I'm getting shivers again just thinking about them.

I kind of feel sorry for the ghosts, can't remember when a game last did that for me.

Drop 8 was certainly refreshing. I'd honestly wouldn't mind an entire game built around that mechanic of
CCTV ghost surveillance.

Just finished drop 6. So far my favourite chapter. This game is incredibly dark and depressing, like some of the background lore about
the maidens and how they're basically nothing more than living dumpsters for peoples sins being locked away to rot in those boxes.... uah I'm getting shivers again just thinking about them.

I kind of feel sorry for the ghosts, can't remember when a game last did that for me.

Yeah, I'm tending to feel sorry for most of the ghosts in this game, unlike in past games where a lot of them just remained mysterious, they're going all in this time to let you know pretty much what happened to all of those ghosts in the past.
I also don't like how bad the maidens had it in this game. They're either massacred by that psycho serial killer, commit suicide to avoid the ritual or are thrown into those tiny black boxes and either drown from it or get their limbs twisted thr wrong way. Talk about a shitty existence.

adroit

So am I just ****ed in drop 9 because I carelessly wasted my mirrorstone early in the drop? I can't believe this ****ing ending. I don't want to start the whole drop over from the beginning.

UPDATE: Finally got through it (after dying dozens of times) by using strategic delays and undoubtably a huge amount of dumb luck. If I replay this drop I will restart from the last checkpoint if I get stuck between the scenery and an obnoxious ghost who practically one-shots me (which is how I lost my mirrorstone early in the drop).

myco666

Finished drop 3 and 4. Seriously this game really gets under my skin. Feeling uneasy almost all the time. That
Shrine part especially was hard for me to go through and those hanging corpses outside didn't really help either
. I really have hard time understanding how so many reviewers consider this game boring and not scary at all. I guess I am just really bad with horror.

edit

Totally worth playing them! I haven't played it but I think 4 is the only that's not connected to the other games. Still you'll be fine jumping in with this they don't rely on you having played the other games.

I guess I will check them out if I enjoy this game once I am done with it. 1-3 seems to be relatively easy to find with 'decent' price but is 4 worth the hassle of bypassing region lock etc?

is 4 worth the hassle of bypassing region lock etc?

Supposedly all you need is a Wii, the game disc and an SD card to put the patch contents on to then click a couple of things on the SD card once you boot up the Wii to install the patch and the game will run directly off the disc on the Wii with no hassle (no hacking required). I thought it would be harder then that. I've just bought 4 the other day after hearing how damn easy it sounds to play in English.

ohlawd

How do you unlock
Miu's Zelda outfit? I got both her endings but didn't get it

get all endings. might as well list how to get 'em

Yuri, I still don't know if it's time based
good - beat final boss above water, glance
bad - beat final boss underwater, glance

Miu, dawwwww
good - take a pic of Miku while she's staring at the shore
bad - don't take a pic at the end

forgot if you need to take pics of her while she's walking there. just take them all just in case for her good ending

Ren - Ose
good - run up to her and glance
bad - take a picture

Ren - Shiragiku
good - beat her with your camera
bad - let her push you into the box

no Rui option lol

TheMoon

Supposedly all you need is a Wii, the game disc and an SD card to put the patch contents on to then click a couple of things on the SD card once you boot up the Wii to install the patch and the game will run directly off the disc on the Wii with no hassle (no hacking required). I thought it would be harder then that. I've just bought 4 the other day after hearing how damn easy it sounds to play in English.

This doesn't work anymore on the current Wii firmware. You need to install the homebrew channel.

Astral Dog

Just finished playing the demo, the controls are a bit clumsy and take awhile to get used to :/ that Gamepad..

The visual design is A m a z i n g, creepy atmosphere like old school horror games, lots of water and i like the old diaries and weird cutscenes. Im just worried about the supposed repetition of the missions and environments from impressions, but im considering buying first timé playing FF.

Bulbasaur

Banned
Finished the demo. I really wanted to like this game but alas. While I did enjoy the soundtrack, visuals and overall vibe, I didn’t find the combat fun, the transitions to and from cut scenes were painfully slow and honestly, I thought it would be scarier.

myco666

Okay how the hell does ranking work in this game? Did drop 5 and took my time with it and almost died many times yet somehow I got S+.

Still really liking the game but playing same areas all the time feels rather lame. That shrine makes me really nervous everytime though. Fuck those dolls.

adroit

From what I've read, it's strictly determined by your score (points for pictures plus points for unused supplies). Time is not a factor.

Top Bottom