• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fate/Grand Order |OT| That's Hell You're Walking Into

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragn

Finally got a Waver, but everything else on the account is dogshit, wondering if thats worth giving up Jeanne+kaleido for. Though the thought of a consistently top tier unit does ease my F2P soul.

just use waver as friend support

Mupod

What's the downside to using characters as support? I don't really feel as if I'm missing everything by not having my own Waver because everyone on my friends list has him set as their support.

Quonny

What's the downside to using characters as support? I don't really feel as if I'm missing everything by not having my own Waver because everyone on my friends list has him set as their support.

If they're not your friend you can't use their NP.

Otherwise, nothing.

pahamrick

Got TamaCat in my tutorial pull and 2 5* craft essences with my other 10 pull (Heaven's Feel and Kaleidoscope) ... I really wanted Jeanne, but I guess I'll keep this.

I rolled an account with Emiya, Siegfried, Saint Martha, Altera and Kadeloscope X 2. Still no Waver though, still tempting to keep that account even though I don't like Altera.

In between the Tutorial and an extra 10 Roll I'm about set for the launch setup of 3Star Servants I want. Onwards to France!

... After more Dailies.

Shizuka

I'm not about to reroll several times for something that I may never get. I decided to go with my second roll with Emiya (4*), as long as I get through the story, I don't mind never getting the Servants I like.

Deadly

As I'm about to give up I get Waver, Jeanne, Kaleidoscope and a Imaginary Around. Siegfried for my 4* though but whatever

T-Rex.

Banned
I wish I knew that earlier. Would make rerolling way faster. My phone is cursed, it can't pull a 5*.
It's not a restore point to a specific time though. It's just log-in information. If you use up your quartz on that account you won't get them back by restoring.

jonjonaug

It's not a restore point to a specific time though. It's just log-in information. If you use up your quartz on that account you won't get them back by restoring.
So this a code that allows you to retrieve your info from the server to transfer to another device, or as a backup in case your device breaks, right?

T-Rex.

Banned
So this a code that allows you to retrieve your info from the server to transfer to another device, or as a backup in case your device breaks, right?
Yeah. Reading the thread I think some people have got the impression that it's like a Windows restore point, but it's not, the account (once you've retrieved it) will be exactly as it was the last time you played so you can't undo anything.

Ah crap. I think I give up on this game. It could at least give me ANY 5*.
Which 5* is your favourite? I'll see if any of my friends have an account for you.

garath

I'm torn on continuing to reroll. Altria Pendragon is a 5* but is really low on the tier lists over time. I'm very sick of rerolling though.

Also doesn't look like I can use Hercules and Altria in the same party? Only one attacker, one shield and one support in the front line? No multiple party layouts? Have to change manual every time?

Yu Narukami

I have a spare Vlad 5* account I can give you. Has multiple 5* CE as well plus Herc.

Wow, that would be nice. So nice of you.

Yeah. Reading the thread I think some people have got the impression that it's like a Windows restore point, but it's not, the account (once you've retrieved it) will be exactly as it was the last time you played so you can't undo anything.

Which 5* is your favourite? I'll see if any of my friends have an account for you.

You are a kind person too. Arturia + Archer would be super sweet.

Quonny

Ah crap. I think I give up on this game. It could at least give me ANY 5*.

You.
Don't.
Need.
One.

There are tons and tons and tons of people, many in this thread, who aren't playing with anything but their single 4* they got from the rigged tutorial roll and are thriving.

Herc is quite literally as good as any 5* at this time, and with the launch promotion, you can choose him and get him 100%. By the time any of us US players strengthen our 5* to the point where the difference is large enough to care about there will be new 5* characters that blow them out of the water (minus Waver).

I just do not understand this mindset.

I'm torn on continuing to reroll. Altria Pendragon is a 5* but is really low on the tier lists over time. I'm very sick of rerolling though.

Also doesn't look like I can use Hercules and Altria in the same party? Only one attacker, one shield and one support in the front line? No multiple party layouts? Have to change manual every time?

You can have any combination of characters in your party. 1, 2, SUPPORT, SUB1, SUB2, SUB3.

g.r.e.

24h later, still no Waver. :/
Having two on the field makes this game much better, especially for hard to clear events, so I'm not gonna stop rerolling for now.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
This is the one game where getting a 5* doesn't mean anything. This is a story driven game. Not a gameplay one.

garath

You.
Don't.
Need.
One.

There are tons and tons and tons of people, many in this thread, who aren't playing with anything but their single 4* they got from the rigged tutorial roll and are thriving.

Herc is quite literally as good as any 5* at this time, and with the launch promotion, you can choose him and get him 100%. By the time any of us US players strengthen our 5* to the point where the difference is large enough to care about there will be new 5* characters that blow them out of the water (minus Waver).

I just do not understand this mindset.

The bolded is the mindset. Given the atrocious rates in this game, you will never have an opportunity again to get a top tier unit for a time investment. Once you start playing it is either luck or money which will get you the top tier units. Why wouldn't you want to invest some time to give yourself that 1% leg up?

I keep going back to chain chronicle. It also had pretty poor rates as I recall. I never rerolled when most people rerolled for a unit called nympha. I always regretted it. I never did end up rolling my own nympha and was forever beholden to using a friend unit to fill that need. It prevented me from using other friend units because I needed that core unit.

If the gatcha rates were better or there was some mechanism for paying and picking a unit (like granblue surprise ticket) then I would agree with you. Otherwise why WOULDN'T you want a leg up?

Quonny

The bolded is the mindset. Given the atrocious rates in this game, you will never have an opportunity again to get a top tier unit for a time investment. Once you start playing it is either luck or money which will get you the top tier units. Why wouldn't you want to invest some time to give yourself that 1% leg up?

I keep going back to chain chronicle. It also had pretty poor rates as I recall. I never rerolled when most people rerolled for a unit called nympha. I always regretted it. I never did end up rolling my own nympha and was forever beholden to using a friend unit to fill that need. It prevented me from using other friend units because I needed that core unit.

If the gatcha rates were better or there was some mechanism for paying and picking a unit (like granblue surprise ticket) then I would agree with you. Otherwise why WOULDN'T you want a leg up?

A leg up...on what though?

There's no PVP. There's nothing competitive about the game at all.

Guys, you do not need a 5* Servant to complete this game.

The 3*s have absolutely insane Servants like Cu, Euryale and Robin Hood, all of whom regularly outperform 5*s in their same class, and a solid bevy of decent all-rounders/specific niche fillers like Medusa and Medea respectively. The 2*s have premier tank St. George and Waver-except-not-quite-as-good Hans Anderson. The 1*s have the REGEND

YOU DO NOT NEED A 5* TO WIN THIS GAME.

Azusa

Not having any luck here :(. gonna give up on it. :"(

Just roll any 4* you like and play. You can clear all available story missions with 4* and 3*. Then wait for events and roll. You will get more 4* and maybe 5*.

If you can roll two 4* at tutorial. It will help you too.

The bolded is the mindset. Given the atrocious rates in this game, you will never have an opportunity again to get a top tier unit for a time investment.

Top tier servant is this game is your favorite servant. Tiers are irrelevant in this game. All old units can clear story and events just fine. You need variety. Not one top tier but many different units to build a team for specific stages/bosses.

There are countless videos when some jp players clear hardest challenges using only 2* or 3* units for example.

g.r.e.

This is the one game where getting a 5* doesn't mean anything. This is a story driven game. Not a gameplay one.
Tell that to Ibaraki-chan.
Clearing the main story is pretty easy (minus the difficulty spike in Camelot), but events require a good team composition and a little bit of strategy by the player.

garath

A leg up...on what though?

There's no PVP. There's nothing competitive about the game at all.

Guys, you do not need a 5* Servant to complete this game.

The 3*s have absolutely insane Servants like Cu, Euryale and Robin Hood, all of whom regularly outperform 5*s in their same class, and a solid bevy of decent all-rounders/specific niche fillers like Medusa and Medea respectively. The 2*s have premier tank St. George and Waver-except-not-quite-as-good Hans Anderson. The 1*s have the REGEND

YOU DO NOT NEED A 5* TO WIN THIS GAME.

So at no point the events or continued content becomes challenging in any way that would require a good team composition or top tier units to farm effectively?

Generally games like this suffer (enjoy?) A power creep and content gets progressively more difficult to keep the whales hooked. If thats not the case then I'd imagine it gets very boring. :(

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Yeah, this is pretty much how I see it as well. I know people keep saying that no unit is NEEDED, but that's actually the case for almost all gacha games - no one particular unit is ever really NEEDED, but the right units sure can make the game easier and more fun to play. As garath points out, FGO is pretty unique in the sense that a unit we can get today... for free... is considered a top tier unit even 2 years later. That's almost unheard of in the powercreep gacha world. Add to that the terrible pull rates, and that's why people are going reroll crazy.

g.r.e.

So at no point the events or continued content becomes challenging in any way that would require a good team composition or top tier units to farm effectively?

Generally games like this suffer (enjoy?) A power creep and content gets progressively more difficult to keep the whales hooked. If thats not the case then I'd imagine it gets very boring. :(
Events usually have a couple of hard to clear missions, and in the past this girl has given nightmares to most FGO players.

I'm consistently surprised by the production values of this game.

The animations are solid, the NPs I've seen so far have been impressive, the menus are snappy and responsive.

I like the combat a lot too so far, too.

Wish I had a stronger attachment to the IP though hahaha.

Quonny

Team composition is way more important than specific units. And yes, there is power creep, I mean look at the Japanese tier lists. The characters at launch minus Waver are like 7.5/10 at best, most much lower than that. And yes, some events are brutal.

The point is that people who are killing themselves for a 5* are doing so for no reason. If you want to go for Waver, you know that the odds are low. More power to you, and if you have the time and energy, by all means. But going "I quit because I didn't get a 5* in 20 rerolls" seems silly.

Min-maxing is fun. But it shouldn't deter you from enjoying a game where you will never be top tier unless you drop fat cash. The sooner some non-gacha players let go of this, the happier they'll be.

Mupod

I rerolled a few times because I heard you can do some dumb shit with Vlad and Caster Tamamo, who is my main goal. I got Tamamo Cat/Vlad after about 13 rerolls so it's not like I was killing myself for it. .

Now watch me save quartz for 4 months and not get her, lol.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

There is only one hard story content in the game and no amount of 5* will save you from the hell that is Camelot. You need an all-rounded Servant pool of varying types to beat that content. I really want to iterate that you do not need a 5*. The only reason I personally rolled for Waver isn't because he's a 5* but because I'm going for a specific Composition when we get Jeanne Alter and Merlin.

PSA

The current JP meta is geared towards Buster straight up. If you're not a good buster or if you're not a good buster supporter then you're going to lean on teh low end. Also, JP meta prefers single target NPs over AOE. So servants like Altria get shafted. There are only a few exceptions that crept their way on the higher tier but for the most part a tier list is garbage.

Responding to powercreep. Lmao, there is like NO powercreep. DW has consistently released garbage 5* the past year and people still whale like crazy. Why? Cuz waifu. Gameplay is literally not a factor for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom