• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite Pokemon Type?

Daingurse

I only just noticed that 100 Base Special stat, pretty nifty. Shame it didn't get to capitalise on that Attack stat till Gen 4 with the Physical/Special split, now Gyarados is better than ever before.

The day Gyrados gets a flying stab besides Bounce, is the day he becomes an even bigger threat.

serplux

Dark.

319212-dark.jpg

Thunder Thunder Thunder Thunderrrr

Raichu's easily my favourite Pokemon, so much so that I actually make myself use Thunder as my main magic element in games and such now.

Daingurse

Dragon Dance/Waterfall sets are scary.

Yep, even if you switch a counter in Gyarados can get a lucky flinch with Waterfall and still kill you and screw you over. And with Moxie? You lose, haha.

Only issue with Gyrados is moveslot syndrome. Which could be fixed if he got a nice strong flying stab attack. Water/Flying on the physical side fucking hurts.

Acrylic7

Electric, even though the selection is as awful as the current games.
and Poison because of the Fossil pack that I stole from CVS that revealed dat Muk.

Loofy

Is there a type thats statistically the strongest? ie. weak against 21.4% attacks, strong against 41% pokmeon.

Daingurse

Is there a type thats statistically the strongest? ie. weak against 21.4% attacks, strong against 41% pokmeon.

Dragon hits everything for neutral at least except for Steel. Thus Dragon types like Salamence, Haxorus, Dragonite, Latios,Hydreigon etc.. can simply nuke your team with Draco Meteor or Outrage. If your Dragon counter gets worn down and killed, you're screwed. Only a revenge killer can deal with those threats and revenge killers are not hard counters. An intelligent opponent will switch that dragon out to counter your revenge killer everytime, or hell they'll predict this and do a switch as you switch to a revenge killer. This is where mindgames comes into play, in other words fucking luck.

So Dragon-Type is the best and it needs a nerf.

Mazzo

I love water types, there are just so many with cool designs and combinations with other types.

I like to do all water teams :3

Forkball

Grass has a lot of utility in the games, but I don't think they are commonly see in comp play. I still like them a lot though, Bulbasaur is still the best starter.

I think I probably gotta roll with psychic, lots of weird but awesome guys, like:

300px-579Reuniclus.png

and

097Hypno.png

and of course

130px-202Wobbuffet.png

Dark is good too though. And Dragon. Really all of them have their standouts.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Dark. It's weak against Fighting and Bug, but immune against Psychic. Plus, when combined with Ghost, nothing is super-effective against it.

Grass has a lot of utility in the games, but I don't think they are commonly see in comp play. I still like them a lot though, Bulbasaur is still the best starter.

Here's some data on what's popular in competitive play from smogon.com. Two grass types in the top 10. Grass is sort of the 'secondary' type for those two, to be fair.
The to 50 for the past 3 months in the 'overused' category:

+ ---- + ------------------ + ------- +
| Rank | Pokemon | Percent |
+ ---- + ------------------ + ------- +
| 1 | Scizor | 22.759% |
| 2 | Ferrothorn | 19.506% |
| 3 | Politoed | 18.547% |
| 4 | Dragonite | 16.667% |
| 5 | Heatran | 16.177% |
| 6 | Tyranitar | 15.488% |
| 7 | Jirachi | 15.253% |
| 8 | Rotom-Wash | 14.194% |
| 9 | Breloom | 13.968% |
| 10 | Latios | 12.930% |
| 11 | Terrakion | 12.401% |
| 12 | Starmie | 12.280% |
| 13 | Garchomp | 11.949% |
| 14 | Forretress | 11.123% |
| 15 | Keldeo | 10.556% |
| 16 | Gengar | 10.511% |
| 17 | Salamence | 10.222% |
| 18 | Ninetales | 9.752% |
| 19 | Alakazam | 9.664% |
| 20 | Gliscor | 9.597% |
| 21 | Landorus-Therian | 9.308% |
| 22 | Tentacruel | 9.253% |
| 23 | Volcarona | 8.775% |
| 24 | Landorus | 8.766% |
| 25 | Mamoswine | 8.662% |
| 26 | Skarmory | 8.456% |
| 27 | Celebi | 8.260% |
| 28 | Jellicent | 8.059% |
| 29 | Infernape | 7.663% |
| 30 | Espeon | 7.615% |
| 31 | Latias | 7.605% |
| 32 | Thundurus-Therian | 7.371% |
| 33 | Gyarados | 6.867% |
| 34 | Venusaur | 6.867% |
| 35 | Magnezone | 6.720% |
| 36 | Cloyster | 6.252% |
| 37 | Jolteon | 6.150% |
| 38 | Donphan | 6.105% |
| 39 | Lucario | 6.038% |
| 40 | Blissey | 5.711% |
| 41 | Conkeldurr | 5.516% |
| 42 | Kyurem-Black | 5.325% |
| 43 | Vaporeon | 5.165% |
| 44 | Hydreigon | 4.986% |
| 45 | Toxicroak | 4.853% |
| 46 | Hippowdon | 4.577% |
| 47 | Metagross | 4.497% |
| 48 | Gastrodon | 4.457% |
| 49 | Dugtrio | 4.337% |
| 50 | Reuniclus | 4.287% |

here's the full thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3481670

Edit: and look at Venusaur in there! Apparently he became a beast in gen 5 thanks to the chlorophyll ability, which doubles his speed in sunlight. Awesome.

MisterHero

Bug type!

Heracross
Ninjask
Shedinja
Beautifly
Beedrill
Scyther
Yanma
Venomoth
Butterfree

I don't appreciate most of them as serious fighters but Heracross is amazing. I used to mow down NPC trainers with Ninjask by combining its speed and Fury Cutter. It's fun to watch when the strength starts peaking and every team member can get 1-shotted without weaknesses.

EulaCapra

My main love has always been Water types. So numerous and versatile. Ice also since they're quite synonymous with Water. Grass is up there for me too. This art is too much lol
naaaants_ingyaraaaa_bagithi_baba_by_noktowl-d5zniyd_zpsd2521f73.jpg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Dragon is probably the closest. Most of the attacks have a huge base power and come from guys with huge attacking stats.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Ice type forever.

I rolled through a GAF tournament with a mono-ice team once. :3

460.png
478.png
365.png
473.png
471.png
461.png

Low tier, baby!

I'm a big fan of Water, although it's probably at least partially due to Surf being in every game, meaning about halfway through you can get one of the better attacks for no effort.

Zaventem

Oh man..it's a tie between ghost,steel and dragon types.All 3 have tie for the best designs imo, and they're pretty good stat wise too.

Tenumi

Banned
Fire types. Who doesn't love to burn things. Not to mention there are some great designs for some fire type Pokemon

Second favorite would probably have to be Psychic. No real reason beyond usefulness.

entremet

For elemental types I do love Fire and Ice, too bad they go fucked with Steath Rock lol. Ice was already bad enough defensively.

Top Bottom