• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite product designs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minus_Me

Sony MiniDisc MZ-RH1

Sony_MZRH1_2.jpg

Chevrolet Camaro (fourth generation)

I thought about doing a thread the other day. The debut was 20 years ago and I have wanted one for the past 10.

Not practical but love the design.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
ITT, I learn Braun are the masters of timless design, I have never studied product design, so I do not know the correct language in which to convey why I find the design of Most of Brauns products int this tread so timeless.

I guess the cleanness and elegance of the designs, the use of spacing,curves and just the balance in "weight" the objects give, the coffee maker the top half contrasts nicely with the bottom, again I don't have the correct terminology, I just find them very very appeasing and appealing toy eyes

peakish

ITT, I learn Braun are the masters of timless design, I have never studied product design, so I do not know the correct language in which to convey why I find the design of Most of Brauns products int this tread so timeless.

I guess the cleanness and elegance of the designs, the use of spacing,curves and just the balance in "weight" the objects give, the coffee maker the top half contrasts nicely with the bottom, again I don't have the correct terminology, I just find them very very appeasing and appealing toy eyes
Enjoy: http://dieterrams.tumblr.com/

String bookshelves/systems (not related):
11010694-origpic-dc1b6uu6o.jpg

1200882-origpic-66c785.jpg

Simple elegance.

RC

Banned
Chevrolet Camaro (fourth generation)

I thought about doing a thread the other day. The debut was 20 years ago and I have wanted one for the past 10.

Not practical but love the design.

I hated that body style. Nothing unique or interesting about it.

The third generation at least stood out:

RRfez3d.jpg

It killed me when my dad sold his.

Wish people posted the company/product names above their pictures.

The Sennheiser HD 598 has to be the most gorgeous headset ever made

SENNHEISER_HD598._sennheiser-hd598-audiophile-headphones.jpg

Ferrari 250 GTO

6a00d8341bf67c53ef0177436143c4970d-800wi

Timeless design.
porsche911completeevot8lmr.jpg

Uniquely recognizable.
tumblr_m9lo8agdhq1qcqt1zhu.jpg

Purebred pedigree.
porsche-911-turbo-1auxth.jpg

Unmistakable lineage.
porsche_911-historyefz2f.jpg

You could literally look at any 911 from any era and immediately recognize it as a 911. That is what I call an elegance in design to last the ages.

TxdoHawk

Oh, this thread ressurfaced. Cool :) My new additions:

Thinkpad X1 Carbon

Definitely the most handsome laptop I've ever seen.

We deployed these to store managers at my job earlier this year. Needless to say, they were happy kids.

I think most of the ThinkPad designs look great, though, and they seem to hold up remarkably well to abuse.

20cent

Banned
Motorola StarTAC This phone was way ahead of it's time. Mind blowing when I first saw it.
Actually, a lot of Sony's stuff is legendary. Even Steve Jobs and his goto designer Jonathan Ive was a big fan of classy Sony:

800px-SonyWalkmanFamily.JPG

I really miss 80-90's Sony and more generally japanese design. Now I understand why our parents use to love old stuff.

Aroo

Neo Member

I want that water bottle. Where can I find it?

On the Philippe Starck watches..

Just looked up those watches on amazon.com and all the reviews seem to agree; the watches are beautiful however functionally they're terrible. The watches are apparently very difficult to see (as in what time it is) at night.

magnetic

Among other good things, cool and functional industrial design on miniaturized (for the time) audio equipment. As an example:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42434267@N02/4959204277/in/photostream

I absolutely adore these tiny voice recorders. I had one from my father (a really sturdy device, with lots of aluminum, sadly can´t remember the exact model) and spend so many hours babbling nonsense on these cute tapes as a kid. Sound quality was pretty rough, but had a satisfying telephone-like low-fi sound to it.

I recently treated myself to this subtle beauty here, after years of using cheap Bic pens (which are brilliant in their own way, but sadly a bit too messy for my taste):

(this one is the pencil model, I´ve got the ballpen, which looks almost identical)

Rotring was always a favourite brand of mine, this one is almost completely metal, except the red part.

Sansa Clip+:

I love how completely out of style this thing is. A very tiny OLED two-color display, basic navigation, no bells and whistles... but I have mine since about three years now and it´s still going strong. Battery still lasts a long time, and it can hold a ton of songs thanks to the microSD. It´s one of these basic, unremarkable things that simply work, day after day.

The new Mazda 6. Looks better than BMW and Porsche and all those. Such an awesome car.

2014-Mazda-6.jpg

The next gen miata is going to be co-designed by Alfa Romeo, so I expect it to be sex.

Dat Lambo. Mercy. Lago.
3128060194_ce8bcbbc1d.jpg

Apple Flat Keyboard
appleAlKeyboard_large.jpg

It is a product and was designed. Super Mario Galaxy.
Super_Mario_Galaxy.jpg

Tandem axle Airstream
img_3F33Me3Ha5E65Hd5J7d4afc0ed95a98451230_r.jpg

Correct Craft Ski Nautique (80's Era)
photo1.jpg

Older Klein Mountain Bikes
itwC5wo8nVcrU.jpg

I hated that body style. Nothing unique or interesting about it.

The third generation at least stood out:

http://i.imgur.com/RRfez3d.jpg

It killed me when my dad sold his.

82-92 Trans Am works better with me.

Maybe because by the time I was seeing those 80s cars on the road most were worn out. Knight Rider coolness helped the Trans Am. And a nice white 92 Trans Am was across the street from me a lot.

It is a product and was designed. Super Mario Galaxy.

To be a stickler, software is not part of product design. There is design in games, but it isn't industrial.

I have recently become obsessed with this turntable, The Pro-ject Carbon Debut. I really want to buy it but it is going to be a hard sell to the wife since we are currently looking to buy our first house. Maybe next year.

rj06VrVl.jpg

To be a stickler, software is not part of product design. There is design in games, but it isn't industrial.

I have recently become obsessed with this turntable, The Pro-ject Carbon Debut. I really want to buy it but it is going to be a hard sell to the wife since we are currently looking to buy our first house. Maybe next year.

rj06VrVl.jpg

If you manage to convince her just add a little bit more and get a Rega RP1.

Or go crazy and get a RP3 or 6 or 8.

9AuCY8F.jpg

No but seriously, in the same price range RP1 is better than a Carbon.

Wow. So much wrongness in so few words. He didn't say industrial design, you did. and you're objectively wrong about the part in bold.

From the OP:
Whether it be the case, or user interface, some products are made to look good. Show me your favorites.

I would like to keep this thread as a place for general discussion regarding product design, meaning anything you find appealing may be shared. Also, if you come across something interesting wherever you may be, take a picture and share it here. Please try to help each other in identifying any unknown product names.
So anyway. Go bounce.

How about some context with some of these.

I.E. what the fuck is that, why do you like it etc.

I have a huge pet peeve about people posting vague shit, be it movie scenes/stills or some random image with no description. I guess it isn't surprising to see someone has done it in this thread. Took 10 pages for it to happen though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom