• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite RPG Party Member Team

What is your favorite team you've been able to assemble in an RPG? This doesn't mean every party member in the game, but team as in who you can use in a battle together. I feel like everyone has that one lineup of characters that they think back to as the perfect balance of being tactical and containing badass characters. For me, two come to mind:

Chrono-Trigger-Cover.jpg

Chrono Trigger - Crono / Marle / Frog
Yeah, Magus is a total badass, but when it comes to the complete package, this trio is what does it for me. It has a great balance of offense and defense, while the image of Crono and Frog dominating the battlefield is pure awesome.

Ff9_screenshot_fmvcharacters.png

Final Fantasy IX - Zidane / Vivi / Garnet / Steiner
One of the rare times where the first full party you get is my favorite, this team is the shit. I love every character in FFIX (even Quina...sort of), but this to me has not only my favorite mix of mages and physical classes, but within the story I love this group. Zidane and Steiner's hilarious bickering turned
friendship
, Steiner's devotion to Garnet and respect of Vivi's abilities, Garnet and Zidane's actually really well paced romance...this group just has a great vibe to it.

DJ_Lae

Your mention of Chrono Trigger immediately reminds me of Crono, Ayla, and Frog. You've got Slurp Kiss, which is all you need for healing, and the three of them all have their own strong individual attacks as well as some powerful dual techs and a good single hit triple tech too.

Once I'm able to select all three of those characters I don't cycle anyone else in.

Your mention of Chrono Trigger immediately reminds me of Crono, Ayla, and Frog. You've got Slurp Kiss, which is all you need for healing, and the three of them all have their own strong individual attacks as well as some powerful dual techs and a good single hit triple tech too.

Once I'm able to select all three of those characters I don't cycle anyone else in.
Oh yeah, Slurp Kiss is dirty. I remember completely ignoring Ayla my first playthrough as a kid, but I found her to be really useful by second time through.

If I recall, Stocke, Raynie, and Aht in Radiant Historia had great synergy (gameplay-wise).

It's not something I think about too much. I guess I always used Zell and Quistis in FFVIII.

Mendoza

Fallout 1:
Dog Meat
Ian
Tycho
Katja

They died most of the time due to the terrible AI, and I remember yelling at the monitor a lot due to them walking into a horde of enemies and getting blown away.
But goddamn I'll never forget them, and how awesome it was waltzing into a town with my train of fools.

Windforce

Going with the game I'm currently playing. Destiny of Spirits (Vita):

Any element changing spirit (Leader)
Lady of the Depths
Gravity Panther

I absolutely love this combo. Gravity Rush spirits FTW.

Dsyndrome

Edgar, Cyan, Sabin, Terra; could use all the cool stuff in FF VI, and when I took them to level 99, whoever had the Offering and Genji Glove could do 9999X8 damage. I grinded way too much in that game...

Mr-Joker

Banned
Charizard.

250px-006Charizard.png

This guy has been in all my team since gen 1 and we have met new friends, face tough rivals and took down many villain while heading toward that goal of being a Pokémon master.

Come Novemeber me and Charizard will take down Steven Stone and his Mega Metagross in Pokémon Omega Ruby.

Wrex & Garrus
That's a great one as well! Soon as saw both of them, I knew they'd be sticking around (with the occasional swap out for Thane).

Also, this is already making me realize how many RPGs I need to play. Haven't touched The Witcher series or any of the Persona games.

desmax

Agate is my man.
The_Legend_of_Heroes_VI_Sora_no_Kiseki_Agate_Crosner_shoes_ver_02-2-04.jpg

Do like to put Klose too (Her S-Craft is pretty useful)
pic_klose.png

The other 2 are fixed, so I can't change (Woundn't want it anyway)

Linkark07

Banned
Radiant Historia - Aht and Eruca. And of course, Stocke.

It has been a while since I played this game, but I recall Aht and Eruka are quite powerful, especially the former. Just need a little grinding and you can walk through the game easily.

Fbh

Wrex & Garrus

iUNEU7qbVshSH.jpg

This.

Both great characters and both complement eachother well (one is a tech sniper that tends to stay behind cover and the other one is a brute that goes to fight head on) which also reflects on their personality (one is a more serious, clever, calculating guy.... the other is a "let's kill them all" kind of person)

random25

Melia-Dunban-Shulk, Xenoblade Chronicles.

Aigis-MC-Junpei, Persona 3

Cid-Cloud-Barrett, Final Fantasy 7

Zidane-Steiner-Vivi-Quina, Final Fantasy 9

Ryu-Nina-Rei, Breath of Fire 3

Terra-Locke-Ceres-Relm, Final Fantasy 6

Chrono-Marle-Frog, Chrono Trigger

Einherjar

Playing through Suikoden 5, I remember this guy being OP as heck:

Code:
[IMG]http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080310012647/suikoden/images/4/46/Georg_Prime.jpg[/IMG]
My other party member was:

images

If I remember correctly.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Cloud
Yuffie
Cid

So good.

Charizard.

250px-006Charizard.png

This guy has been in all my team since gen 1 and we have met new friends, face tough rivals and took down many villain while heading toward that goal of being a Pokémon master.

Come Novemeber me and Charizard will take down Steven Stone and his Mega Metagross in Pokémon Omega Ruby.
Oh man, I wasn't even thinking about Pokemon. I'll always love my original Red team: Charizard / Kangaskhan / Golduck / Alakazam / Dragonite / Gengar

OP, you already got the best listed. Agreed.

OP you took mine with the OG IX crew so I'm gonna say MNK MNK MNK MNK BRD RDM :p
What can I say? FFIX is the best FF.

Final Fantasy VII

Cloud
Red XIII
Vincent

Synergy smynergy, cloud is an all around badass, Red summons a fucking comet, and vincet turns into the devil himself. Ya nothing much was gonna stand up to that.

Also

Legend of Dragoon

Dart
Kongol
Rose

pantsmith

Though you aren't really given much choice in the matter, playing with Laguna, Kiros and Ward was a breath of fresh air compared to the angsty melodrama, nonsensical storytelling devices, and 2-dimensional archetypes of Final Fantasy VIII's "main" cast and scenario.

For those of you who haven't played FFVIII, you periodically play through weird dream sequences as Laguna, a hilariously awkward (but deeply human!) writer drafted into the military, as well as his two squadmates, Kiros and Ward. Their adventures include regularly getting lost, accidentally getting elected president of the most technologically advanced country on the planet, and watching Laguna's leg cramp up while trying to talk to the girl he likes.

They're funny, believable (minus everything around them), work incredibly well off of eachother, and since all of the characters in VIII play the same sans Limit Breaks, a fixed party of three doesn't make you feel like you're leaving anyone out of the mix.

laguna20.png

The party is grounded and charming, and Laguna is easily my favorite Final Fantasy character. Just a shame theyre trapped in one of my least favorite entries in the series.

ward2.png

Baldur's Gate 2: Jaheira, Yoshimo, Keldorn, Xan (mod), Minsc, with either Anomen or Imoen filling out the sixth slot. Becomes Jaheira, Imoen, Keldorn, Minsc, Sarevok and Xan in Throne of Bhaal.

pretty sure the ultimate party of FF9 is considered Zidane, Eiko, Amarant and Freya.
ultimate FFX party is considered Tidus, Wakka, Rikku

but i prefer like the OP zidane, garnet, vivi and steiner as they are the best characters in FF9 from a story standpoint
and FF10 I usually prefer tidus, yuna, auron as i feel they are the 3 most important protagonists

random25

Though you aren't really given much choice in the matter, playing with Laguna, Kiros and Ward was a breath of fresh air compared to the angsty melodrama, nonsensical storytelling devices, and 2-dimensional archetypes of Final Fantasy VIII's "main" cast and scenario.

For those of you who haven't played FFVIII, you periodically play through weird dream sequences as Laguna, a hilariously awkward (but deeply human!) writer drafted into the military, as well as his two squadmates, Kiros and Ward. Their adventures include regularly getting lost, accidentally getting elected president of the most technologically advanced country on the planet, and watching Laguna's leg cramp up while trying to talk to the girl he likes.

They're funny, believable (minus everything around them), work incredibly well off of eachother, and since all of the characters in VIII play the same sans Limit Breaks, a fixed party of three doesn't make you feel like you're leaving anyone out of the mix.

laguna20.png

The party is grounded and charming, and Laguna is easily my favorite Final Fantasy character. Just a shame theyre trapped in one of my least favorite entries in the series.

ward2.png

Y U NO INCLUDE LEG CRAMP SHOTS!?

Top Bottom