• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Features / mechanics found in one game that should be industry standard throughout gaming.

the Nemesis System found in Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor is a unique mechanic that essentially relies on a military-like hierarchy of NPCs that can remember player actions.

The drifting mechanic in the Burnout series and Criterion Games developed Need for Speed games have such a unique tuning for translating braking and acceleration to the controller i feel should be in every racing game that has drifting.

Last edited:

Skyfox

I think one of the Splinter Cell games had a training room mode you could easily switch to and see any of the less-used ability's button presses.

So like how to climb two walls and do the splits and snap a dude's neck from above.

Skyfox

Come to think of it, the new Spiderman and Mario Odyssey did it better than splinter cell by just showing the button combo and an animation

The key being instantly accessible menu.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Conversation logs, can really come in hand at times when you miss/forget important or game relevant dialogue. I think it was LA Noire that had it?

I also miss training rooms some old games like Half Life and Deus Ex had. Great way to introduce the game's system that doesn't clutter the main game and actually feels fun, especially useful if its something with more complex mechanics.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
In the Akiba's Trip games Hellbound & Debriefed and Undead & Undressed, character health is measured by the status of their clothing. When clothing health is lowered, it can be ripped off by the opponent, exposing the skin. I think this should be the only way health is measured in any video game. The second game also has a mission which unlocks the ability to crossdress, and I think this should be an industry standard.

Ramzy

Conversation logs, can really come in hand at times when you miss/forget important or game relevant dialogue. I think it was LA Noire that had it?

I also miss training rooms some old games like Half Life and Deus Ex had. Great way to introduce the game's system that doesn't clutter the main game and actually feels fun, especially useful if its something with more complex mechanics.

Rockstar does that in general, conversation and in-game tutorial transcripts that you can come back to if you miss something.

D-ray

Can't name all of them, but games that give you a fast bind-able "reset" button are made by actually clever people. I really HATE to press pause or even exit the ENTIRE game just to reset a level or something like that.
Just make fast "level reset" buttons common please.

The ability to self-destruct and blow up your clothes. NieR Automata. Really can't understand why it's not in every game honestly.
Probably because not every protagonist in game looks good without clothes.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Nemesys system was the obvious winner since very few mechanics have fucking copyright.

The leash in bulletstorm could be another one but one can argue that telekinesis is does a very similar thing.

The euphoria engine should be used in all titles where you kill stuff, if not for the protagonist, at least for the enemies reactions when being hit and for npcs interactions, and yet only rockstar can use it.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sprint button was hyped up because of Halo, I see lots of buttons being added to controllers to me you have to trust simplicity.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
The ability to switch shoulder views. To this day there are games that still insist on not giving these from the get go.

Mark and execute from both MGSV and Splinter Cell Blacklist, on any TPS game.

Last edited:

nowhat

Taking a piss in Death Stranding. Now you may be thinking "waitaminute, you can pee in other games as well!", and this is true. However, you don't get mushrooms that instantly grow from your golden shower. The Super Mario franchise could really benefit from this concept - need a power up, just relieve yourself a bit.

And on the other side:
Skip fights / action parts. Sometimes I just want to play through the story and the chilled parts. Work life is challenging enough ;)

Isa

Being able to skip cutscenes (or at least pause them).
If you game can't do that, fuck you.
So true, I always check during the early game to see if I can pause cutscenes now that way if needed I can do so when busy. These options seem like such an easy addition yet there are still titles that I see people mentioning unskippable cutscenes which can really drag an experience down during replays or facing a boss for the umteenth time.

For me, Jiggle Physics. And the incredible tech that Team Ninja made with skin and dirt accumulation and bruising as well as sweat in DoA/Beach Volleyball games.
Homer Simpson GIF
kate upton GIF
hedgehog jiggle GIF
bouncing boobs hug GIF
the simpsons jiggle GIF
fail slip n slide GIF
Bunny Spank GIF
league of legends cat GIF by lolesports
Summer Bikini GIF by Remus & Kiki Animation
model runway GIF
200.gif

Top Bottom