• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFIV DS style Final Fantasy IV The After Years remake coming to iOS/Android [Screens]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
As soon as I saw this I thought "Time to go and laugh at Schala's misery."

I'm positively basking in it. BASKING do you hear me? BASKING. If the game has augments that alone would almost make me pay for it.

FF4 IS KING OF FFs ALL YOU OTHER GAMES JELLY YOU DON'T GET YEARLY REMAKES.
Augments and customizable bands, son. And not crappy dungeon design.

Oh my gosh, it's actually almost that often, now, too.
SNES - 1991
PS1 = 1997/2001
Wonderswan = 2002
DS = 2007/2008
VC = 2009/2010
FOMA = 2009
PSP = 2011
iOS = 2012
Android = 2013

The After Years:
FOMA = 2008
au Win Brew/Softbank 3G = 2008/2009
WiiWare = 2009
PSP = 2011

Don't you and I both have the same qualms about TAY, though?

The After Years was a terrible game though. Hopefully they improved the balance a bit because it was fairly unbalanced. If you didn't buy the item that cast slows you would get thrashed by the bosses. It reused so much asset too. You go through the same dungeon like 4 times in the game.
And whatever new dungeons there were, they were rather poorly designed. At the very least, I could say some of the dungeons in FF4 were decently designed in terms of intent, facilitating player levels, and general function.

I thought FF4 was just an okay game that the ds version made better. Voice acting and 3d made me connect with the characters a lot better then the original version. The augmentation system was far superior to the original games "look at all these unique characters you can never use cause lol plot".

Yes they do and how many times can you engage in a New Game+? Besides with Cry+Darkness+LimitBreaker you can maximize Kain's attack parameters.

It's like saying you wouldn't take any feats in DnD.
I'm just saying I don't personally find any interest in customizing the FFIV cast into a litany of catch all characters.

The DS version of FFIV doesn't feel like a true representation of the spirit of the original in my eyes, and augments were a big part of that. (The artstyle is another factor.) I think it's a great game when viewed as a stand alone, but it doesn't feel like FFIV to me.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The artstyle used in FF III and IV DS is actually the closest the series has ever come to the Amano character designs.

I find it much easier to look at then the bad flash looking sprites in the PSP games, especially FF IV complete.

Jeels

Why exactly did this get greenlit? It isn't like there is pent up demand for a mobile remake of a second rate sequel to a game that's already on mobile and has a handheld port...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think my nightmare scenario would be this game ported to 3DS, doesn't sell because no one likes After Years and then they decide to pass on proper V and VI remakes coming over from iOS/Android because of it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm just saying I don't personally find any interest in customizing the FFIV cast into a litany of catch all characters.

The DS version of FFIV doesn't feel like a true representation of the spirit of the original in my eyes, and augments were a big part of that. (The artstyle is another factor.) I think it's a great game when viewed as a stand alone, but it doesn't feel like FFIV to me.
But they don't necessarily become catch-all characters, because their base stats restrict them from being completely free-form. It isn't necessarily like FF8, for example, where every character is customizable to a degree due to how many spells you've drawn.

Augments simply allow passive or active skills to be used. Merely having the skill attached to you does not mean that you merely excel at it, but you can use it to your disposal, even if you may not be that great at using the skill itself. It tends to be used as support the party or augment your playstyle.

It almost feels like some are painting the Augment system as something to re-fashion the characters from blank slates with no identity into catch-all characters when that isn't likely the case at all based on their base skills, and their base stats.

the japanese font looks nice

i wonder if they'll still use the horrible english font they normally use

that is, if they ever actually translate the fucking thing

and lol @ them still not giving this treatment to V and VI.
I think my nightmare scenario would be this game ported to 3DS, doesn't sell because no one likes After Years and then they decide to pass on proper V and VI remakes coming over from iOS/Android because of it.
just like yakuza dead souls. i could see that happening.

Goli

the japanese font looks nice

i wonder if they'll still use the horrible english font they normally use

that is, if they ever actually translate the fucking thing

and lol @ them still not giving this treatment to V and VI.

That font is one of the stock iOS fonts, they use same with the localized versions, except with one that's not Japanese.
This is also why the Android versions generally have different (and for the most part, more visually appealing) fonts.

But they don't necessarily become catch-all characters, because their base stats restrict them from being completely free-form. It isn't necessarily like FF8, for example, where every character is customizable to a degree due to how many spells you've drawn.

Augments simply allow passive or active skills to be used. Merely having the skill attached to you does not mean that you merely excel at it, but you can use it to your disposal, even if you may not be that great at using the skill itself. It tends to be used as support the party or augment your playstyle.

It almost feels like some are painting the Augment system as something to re-fashion the characters from blank slates with no identity into catch-all characters when that isn't likely the case at all based on their base skills, and their base stats.
But that is my main issue. Having the once unique skills suddenly available to everyone makes the individual characters less special.

I'm not a stat hound at all, I just use who I like regardless of whether they suck or not, and because of this, the uniqueness of the characters is one of the biggest draws for me.

Obviously not everyone feels the same, but this is something I personally find important about FFIV. That's why I vastly prefer the option to change your endgame party that was added in FFIV Advance/PSP.

d31m0s

http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201309190013/
This winter.
2013 for iOS, 2014 for Android.
Will update OP with logo and screens when I re-host them.
Developer is unknown yet, but it's probably Matrix.
A playable demo is at TGS and the game will be distrubuted in the same way as it was in the original feature phone and WiiWare versions, split into chapters.
EDIT:
GSLn18L.jpg

D313M6v.jpg

9GVMUcH.jpg

xpKniyP.jpg

8K3cBM6.jpg

AISoFmy.jpg

And no actual game console release makes me sad

zroid

Banned
Y'know, I actually liked FFIV, but Squenix is doing an incredibly good job of making me despise it. It's absolutely ridiculous how much it keeps getting ported, remade, expanded, etc. Sigh

I just can't deal anymore.

Bravocado

I'm kinda glad they've ignored my past pleas for an FF6 remake. At this point, I don't think I trust them to do it justice anymore.

Nerokis

...Okay, I can get behind this.

Hmm... So can I. This looks legit. I've heard almost nothing but bad things about TAY, and I still need to get around to playing FFIV (I have the DS version sitting around), but I'd be interested in picking up an improved version for iOS.

Aeana

Maybe they'll take the time to rebalance TAY. If they do that, it might be better.
But it's pretty stupid that they're doing this after they did what they did to FF5.

Why is the UI and font always so bland and terrible in these mobile ports?

They use system fonts.

CorvoSol

Augments and customizable bands, son. And not crappy dungeon design.

Oh my gosh, it's actually almost that often, now, too.
SNES - 1991
PS1 = 1997/2001
Wonderswan = 2002
DS = 2007/2008
VC = 2009/2010
FOMA = 2009
PSP = 2011
iOS = 2012
Android = 2013

The After Years:
FOMA = 2008
au Win Brew/Softbank 3G = 2008/2009
WiiWare = 2009
PSP = 2011

Don't you and I both have the same qualms about TAY, though?

I have never accused you of being wrong in your complaints regarding FF4 or TAY (Y'alls just wrong for not loving Terra, but that's neither here nor there), I just love the games in spite of and because of some of those things.

I think you just feel more negatively than I do about both games is all. I love 4 and am not ashamed to deny that there's some nostalgia in that. I think TAY is okay as a game, but I'm not gonna lie: it leaves a lot to be desired, and comparing it to a romhack or fan fiction is an apt comparison to make.

That said the ART for TAY is really great, I think, and Maenad's theme is good.

randomkid

I'm glad I long ago made my peace with what this company keeps inflicting upon my poor FF4 characters. I'll always have that perfect GBA version so they can do whatever.

As far as I'm concerned, the only Final Fantasy that needs to be revisited is FF3, which needs a GBA-style enhanced port. Everything else is fine.

cafemomo

3DS exists ya know Squeenix

Also, isn't this like the 11th or so version of IV out?

Shieet I remember playing this on my PS1, Wonderswan, GBA, etc..

3DS exists ya know Squeenix

Also, isn't this like the 11th or so version of VI out?

Shieet I remember playing this on my PS1, Wonderswan, GBA, etc..

This isn't a remake of FFIV, it's a remake of a sequel to FFIV.

As someone who likes TAY, this is totally unnecessary.

Somnid

Is lack of bilinear filtering really an artistic option? I guess some people might harken for early 3D throwbacks but I've never met them.

Jarate

Banned
They keep making these because unfortunately ill usually buy.

Ive beaten the game several times for snes, gba, ds, ios, and the psp release

My favorite Final Fantasy, easily the most likeable cast in the game. The only real cunts were Tellah and Esward

So does this confirm that SE likes the 3d ds style more than the psp style?
Uh, no?

They've already used the PSP style more, and as evident by the recent FFV "remake", they like to go all over the place in their choice of graphics.

As Goli said, it's most likely because it would be super easy to use the already existing engine they used for the iOS port of the first FFIV game.

Uh, no?

They've already used the PSP style more, and as evident by the recent FFV "remake", they like to go all over the place in their choice of graphics.

As Goli said, it's most likely because it would be super easy to use the already existing engine they used for the iOS port of the first FFIV game.

but the ff5 ios port looks nothing like the psp one.

hmmmm....

Wazzy

Banned
Ugh. They need to move on from IV and give V and VI remakes.

After Years wasn't even that good, Edge was the best part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom