• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFT War of the Lions translation sacrifices readability for pretentious prose

fvng

Compare this:

"Tough... Don't blame us. Blame yourself or God"

to this:

"Tis your birth and faith that wrong you, not I"

The original translation just comes off as amateur writing with slang that does not fit that era or the serious atmosphere of the game.

It's a flowery way of saying the same thing, but the original line of dialogue had a more powerful impact... There's a reason that's one of the most popular lines of dialogue from the original. The new translation is cold and lifeless.

The language almost makes me want to play this game.

You should play it even if the text was in wingdings.

Yar, I never understand the reverence that original line gets, especially when compared to the new translation.

Argath's "animals have no God!" from the original is so wonderfully callous, though.

The callousness of the delivery of Delita's line in the original is part of why I like it too though.

cwistofu

I went from not knowing what the hell was going on in the plot of the original localization to absolutely loving the plot with the new one.

WOTL is one of my favorite games.

Even if it's bullshit i can't steal Genji equipment anymore.

Jintor

It's a flowery way of saying the same thing, but the original line of dialogue had a more powerful impact... There's a reason that's one of the most popular lines of dialogue from the original. The new translation is cold and lifeless.

I don't feel so. Just very... I keep coming back to Shakespearian.

Like, it feels more like a play. Which is kinda cool.

fvng

I know, I should have been more clear with that sentence. Smith + Reeder for XII and Reeder for WotL.

Seems like Smith is a good editor for Reeder, in terms of maintaining the readability of the dialogue. XII had a terrific localization, if not the best in the series.

Elegant Prose while being easily understood is a great achievement.

kiaaa

It's popular because it's comically direct. It's not an especially well-written line. In fact, it completely leaves out the idea of birth which is a huge theme in the game.

MartyStu

You should play it even if the text was in wingdings.

It is not. It is just more dramatic. Which is not inherently bad, just different.

MartyStu

Seems like Smith is a good editor for Reeder, in terms of maintaining the readability of the dialogue. XII had a terrific localization, if not the best in the series.

To be more precise, Reeder left the project shortly after he had recruited Slattery, so if you are looking for someone to blame, Slattery is probably the safer target.

And WoTL is easily understood, even as a younger man I did not have any problem with it. Back then, I just thought it made everything cool and epic.

XII tries to do something entirely, so it is not entirely a fair comparison.

I went from not knowing what the hell was going on in the plot of the original localization to absolutely loving the plot with the new one.

I had the exact same experience. In a weird way I never really thought of the original game as having much of a story, but WotL completely engrossed me. It boggles my mind that OP could call the re-translation "cold and lifeless" in the face of what we had before.

WotL has fun with words. It steeps itself in the language like few games do.

linko9

Nothing wrong with any of the lines in the OP. Yes they are intentionally archaic (styled after Early Modern English), but all are perfectly correct and stylistically consistent. Of course they're basing their style on writing and applying it to spoken dialog, which can seem stilted, but that just makes it seem like a play to me, which is sort of appropriate.

Is the reason because people who fondly remember the game were too young to realize how out of place it is for Delita to say "tough" when they first played it?

Moaradin

This eventually reached a boiling point in FFXIV in the Keeper of the Lake event, when the player first meets a really old dragon. It is a major scene that was supposed to add backstory and set up major future events. The conversation was utterly incomprehensible in the English version. The intended meaning was completely lost. I've heard that the devs had to take the translator to task over that debacle. Ever since, the flowery language has been dialed back a bit. Whenever that same old dragon talks later on, he speaks in completely plain language.

They definitely didn't

All the ancient dragons in that game speak that way. I've never had a problem with it during Keeper of the Lake either.

SkyOdin

I think the more blunt and direct word choice of the original line suits Delita, who is from common origins. The blunt delivery does have more impact too.

The original FFT translation was a bad translation, but the War of the Lions translation butchered ability names and classic FF references. Rafa and Malik's abilities in the Japanese version and original translation heavily referenced terms from Shingon Buddhism, but those references were excised in the PSP version. Likewise, Meliadoul's sword skills had names such as Icewolf Bite or Hellcry Punch in the original translation, which were accurate to the original japanese. They were changed to the very bland Crush Weapon or Crush Helm names in War of the Lions.

Golnei

Yar, I never understand the reverence that original line gets, especially when compared to the new translation.

Argath's "animals have no God!" from the original is so wonderfully callous, though.

"The gods have no eye for chattel" does have less of an immediate impact, but
"You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in
whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the
world drenched in common blood!"
more than makes up for it, as far as callousness is concerned.

Usobuko

Banned
The only book that I read finished from Shakespeare was Twelfth Night and that was due to taking literature in my high school years.

I don't think I'm well versed to determine whether the new translation does a good job to its script but it has a stylistic identity and convey its message just fine to me. Not once have I felt the plot to be less engaging because of it.

In fact, I love the cutscenes so much.

fvng

WOTL is one of my favorite games.

The new translation runs the same risk by having the plot get lost in the sauce of self-important impenetrable dialogue

I would love a revision of the WOTL translation that retains the prose while making it an easier read.

Is the reason because people who fondly remember the game were too young to realize how out of place it is for Delita to say "tough" when they first played it?

yeah i'm not a fan of 'tough' being in there, but the rest of that line is perfect.

People who call WotL "Shakespearean" trigger me because it's obviously not in any way attempting to imitate Shakespeare.

Also OP I think you're insane to prefer the gibberish of the original translation to something that actually has style.

Burt

I think its the names more than anything for me, honestly.

Folmarv? Argath? Outta here with that junk.

I loooove-love-love the WotL localization, I think the dialogue has a great flow. The voice actors do a beautiful job with it in the cutscenes. That being said, I haven't had the opportunity to play the original localization, so I don't know if something was lost or gained in the changes.

Compare this:---

The original translation just comes off as amateur writing with slang that does not fit that era or the serious atmosphere of the game.

'Tis your faith and birth that wrong you, not I' is of my favorite lines, goddamn. 'Don't blame us. Blame yourself or God' does pack a good punch, though.

Usobuko

Banned
The whole exchange between Miluda and Argath was some of the best part to the game.

Miluda:
How can you nobles live as you do and
yet hold your heads so high?

We are not cattle! We are humans, no
less than you!

What flaw do you hold there to be in
us? That we were born between a
different set of walls?

Do you know what it means hunger?
To soup for months on naught but broth
of bean?

Why must we be made to starve that you
might grow fat? You call us thieves, but it
is you who steal from us the right to live!

Argath:
You, no less human than we? Ha!
Now there's a beastly thought.

You've been less than we from the moment
your baseborn father fell upon your mother
in whatever gutter saw you sired!

You've been cattle since you came into
the world drenched in common blood!

Miluda:
By whose decree!? Who decides
such foul and absurd things?

Argath:
'Tis heaven's will!

Miluda:
Heaven's will? You would pin your
bigotry the gods?

No god would fain forgive such sin,
much less embrace it! All men are
equal in the eyes of the gods!

Argath:
Men, yes. But the gods have no eyes for cattle.

It's that flow of the conversation and build up to the last line. Fuck Argath.

fvng

Yeah, I like it when people in RPGs have normal names like Jeff
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_Doctrine

This is hilarious

The whole exchange between Miluda and Argath was some of the best part to the game.

It's that flow of the conversation and build up to the last line. Fuck Argath.

Yeah I actually loved that exchange in WOTL, there are definitely moments in the game where I love the dialogue, don't get me wrong

Feep

Banned
This thread's mere existence offends me.

WotL is a delight to read. "No sword yet wrought may parry poison's kiss."

Sorry you can't appreciate good words.

DKL

"You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in

This is like how you shit on someone and they parents with the expectation that they will be too feebleminded to realize that they're being put on blast.

Like, it's hot fire lol

SeanTSC

I know a lot of people clearly enjoy it, but man, I really dislike Archaic, Shakespearian, Old English, and anything else that's similiar. I have not once found it to impact my enjoyment of a game's story, plot, lore, characters, etc in a positive manner. It always just comes off as incredibly tedious to me, makes games harder to get through, and can sometimes completely take me out of the world. The absolute worst offenders are games that throw out Thees and Thous left and right.

I'll take modern English with characters given their own flair and personality through that every single time, no matter the setting or time period.

WOTL is a big improvement over the PSX translation. Tactics Ogre is a better example of what the OP is talking about, the new translation for that is not only overwrought with bizarre spellings, it reads really dry and detached at times.

kiaaa

I know a lot of people clearly enjoy it, but man, I really dislike Archaic, Shakespearian, Old English, and anything else that's similiar. I have not once found it to impact my enjoyment of a game's story, plot, lore, characters, etc in a positive manner. It always just comes off as incredibly tedious to me, makes games harder to get through, and can sometimes completely take me out of the world. The absolute worst offenders are games that throw out Thees and Thous left and right.

I'll take modern English with characters given their own flair and personality through that every single time, no matter the setting or time period.

A knight from what is essentially the middle-ages speaking modern English would really affect immersion in a story.

This thread's mere existence offends me.

I'm actually glad it exists. I've seen a few people on GAF say unkind words about the revised translation and it led me to believe I might be in the minority for loving it, but if this thread is any evidence I'm clearly in good company.

Ananaz

It's worth noting, that the context and scene itself for the "Blame yourself or God!" line was changed. In the original Delita shouts it over his shoulder as he is fleeing from Agrias so it makes sense for it to be very direct and crass, but in WotL he whispers it to Ovelia as he knocks her out silently.

But yeah, the new translation is far better and fits the game's tone just fine, even if it goes a bit overboard at times. The original was just straight up nonsense at times.

Oo, I don't agree with this at all when compared with the old translation. The old one might have some standout memorable lines, but most of them because they're nonsense. The rest of them are just very simplistic and plain.

The callousness of the delivery of Delita's line in the original is part of why I like it too though.

Perhaps it has more punch, but it does so by sacrificing clarity of meaning and intent. To begin with, he's not even supposed to sound callous there. That being one of the very first lines we get from him heavily colors our impression thereafter.

MartyStu

WOTL is a big improvement over the PSX translation. Tactics Ogre is a better example of what the OP is talking about, the new translation for that is not only overwrought with bizarre spellings, it reads really dry and detached at times.

This is very true. Tactics Ogre has twice the style, and very little of the substance.

I still enjoy the translation, but I would not fight too hard to defend it.

Oh I agree. It's so chillingly delicious.

Ri'Orius

The new translation only bothered me in the part right before the Velius/Belias fight. Original was:

Wiegraf: There you are Ramza.

[Wiegraf slowly walks down.]

Wiegraf: Draw your sword, Ramza.

[Nothing happens.]

Wiegraf: What's wrong? If you don't, I will.

WotL was:

Wiegraf (turning): So, you've come.

[He takes a step forward.]

Draw your sword, Ramza.

[They simply stare at each other.]

Not in the mood? I hope you will not object to me drawing mine.

I of course died enough times at this boss to have the lines ingrained into my memory, and the change was super jarring. I still think the old line is better in this case. And I do like the parallelism of the first two lines in the original translation.

That said, on the whole I think the new translation is better. For instance, the counterpart to "I am come" in the old version is "Sorry to keep you waiting." Like, seriously? An ancient, Biblical-esque demon shows up and his first line is "Sorry to keep you waiting."?

(original script ; WotL script)

WotL is a delight to read. "No sword yet wrought may parry poison's kiss."

Posts like these make me want to replay WotL.

Thanks, OP, for reminding me how great the writing is in this game.

fvng

I think that particular dialogue exchange in WOTL is a great example of when the translators managed to balance readability with flowery language. WOTL doesn't always hit that perfect balance throughout the game's writing

For instance, the counterpart to "I am come" in the old version is "Sorry to keep you waiting." Like, seriously? An ancient, Biblical-esque demon shows up and his first line is "Sorry to keep you waiting."?

haha!

Acerac

Banned
Gotta disagree with the OP here. While the translation gets rather over the top at points, I find it works in the context of the universe. I've enjoyed it myself.

Top Bottom