• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXI in 2017

Loona

It's that time of the year were i feel nostalgic for the game, i guess its time to resub. Last year i finished SoA and stopped playing, i still need to finish WoTG and RoV.

I liked WotG more than SoA, and RoV got amazing by the end - looks like you're heading towards story closure on a high note.

Taruranto

WotG is great and Windy has one of the series' best storylines. SoA is blatantly rushed and Arciela sucks on the top of being a gigantic sue.

WotG is great and Windy has one of the series' best storylines. SoA is blatantly rushed and Arciela sucks on the top of being a gigantic sue.

I liked SoA and Arciela...

ToAU story felt the most rushed. Massive buildup over like 37 missions and then just rushing to a conclusion in the last 4. (cant remember the exact points where it just flipped to ending)

Arciela might be my second favorite lead behind Prishe.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I am and will always be forever Sandy but Windy's WotG story was the best out of the 3 by far.

It's not even close.

Dat moment when Fenrir wakes up, zomg hyyype.

Major moments of the story that had been talked about previously all happening in front of you.

I had high hopes for Bastok being Shadow Lord and Castle Zvahl (things I looove) related but it was a letdown. And Sandy was just helping a bunch of kids, not even some cool Orc stuff could save it. :(

Taruranto

Yeah, I'm a Sandy dude too (Like most people with taste -_^), but the difference in quality between Windy and the other two stories in WotG is enormous.

The Rank missions in comparison are far more balanced.

ApharmdX

Banned
I think now, if you play Wings of the Goddess, it's more enjoyable than when it was current content. There were a lot of strange or bad design choices in that expansion, compared to ToAU, which introduced systems that were fantastic (Beseiged! Nyzul Isle Exploration!). The story is great. The visual designs and music in the re-imagined past areas are phenomenal, and for me bring back memories of the game's introduction back in 2003 (in NA). They have this kind of sepia-toned color palette. But my god, by the end WotG drags! It takes a lot of time to finish. I can do CoP in a single day now. ToAU has had its midnight waits removed, so it's not bad either. WotG takes longer. Now the TP Bonus Moonshade Earring is really good, so that makes it worthwhile, but still.

Rhapsodies of Vana'diel was a worthy conclusion to the series. Plus the rewards are the absolute best. The bonus EXP, bonus CP, access to Reisenjima, the ability to augment JSE weapons, and the ability to create Aeonic weapons? You just can't beat that.

I'd rate the expansions in terms of current rewards:

RoV > CoP > Adoulin > WotG > Zil'art ~ ToAU

In terms of story:

CoP > Rov > WotG > Adoulin > ToAU > Zil'art

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I am and will always be forever Sandy but Windy's WotG story was the best out of the 3 by far.

It's not even close.

Dat moment when Fenrir wakes up, zomg hyyype.

Major moments of the story that had been talked about previously all happening in front of you.

I had high hopes for Bastok being Shadow Lord and Castle Zvahl (things I looove) related but it was a letdown. And Sandy was just helping a bunch of kids, not even some cool Orc stuff could save it. :(

Yaas, Windy WotG was amazing! I've done all three, and now on my new account/character I'm doing Windy again. It was that good.

Ignoring story

WotG expansion got better for general content as it went on. It was super rough at first, but campaign ended up being a nice always available farming event for relevant gear at least.

It never touched ToAU for all around content, or CoP for endgame (Limbus was one of the most enjoyable events ever).

For story though

CoP >>>>>>> SoA > WotG > ToAU > RoV >>>> RotZ > Base Game Cities

Base game and rise of the zilart were really nothing special in terms of story. The game ramped up so amazingly well in quality there with CoP, and all the rest are still good.

Taruranto

I would probably rank them CoP>WotG>RotZ+Rank>RoV>SoA>Abyssea

Honestly it felt like after CoP all the stories had something rushed in the second half. CoP was truly the game magnum opus and the Rank mission>Zilart>Chain of Promathia progression is just great.

ZetaEpyon

The main problem with Wings of the Goddess was that it literally took just under three years for them to finally roll out the final missions.

At that point, we were already halfway into Abyssea - the last missions for WotG were released at the same time as the second part of Abyssea and the cap increase to level 85.

It's a lot better to go through now, but man, some of those cutscenes are still VERY long.

The main problem with Wings of the Goddess was that it literally took just under three years for them to finally roll out the final missions.

At that point, we were already halfway into Abyssea - the last missions for WotG were released at the same time as the second part of Abyssea and the cap increase to level 85.

It's a lot better to go through now, but man, some of those cutscenes are still VERY long.
Ive done every single expansion twice. WotG definitely has the most cutscenes that just drag. Though they get really good in the end. I didn't end up minding watching most of them even on replay.

ApharmdX

Banned
I do have to say though I wasn't as high on WotG as some of you guys, Lilisette was an awesome character, and counterpart to the player character. I hope we see her again, in FFXIV maybe?

ZetaEpyon

Ive done every single expansion twice. WotG definitely has the most cutscenes that just drag. Though they get really good in the end. I didn't end up minding watching most of them even on replay.

The other thing about this is that you can easily tell that WotG is where they really figured out how to do cutscenes in the XI engine - the animations are a lot more involved and unique than previous expansions.

Probably part of why it took so long to finish, but it's a nice jump in quality.

Top Bottom