• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV character designer Roberto Ferrari comments on his creations on Facebook

Dimmle

She's not intentionally showing her breasts to the camera or shaking her butt at the camera. She is detailing a car in a skimpy outfit. Quiet literally turns back and gives a look like yeah I know.
The camera just happened to be there!

So your argument is that we should not criticize her design in a thread about her character designer because there are other offenders elsewhere in the series?

No, I get it. Look at my quotes.

Just that how people remarked it (I'm not saying you) like she was the most sexualised character in FF history. She has a bad design, and out of place considering the mostly realistic characters designs in every other character in the game.

Also that I was pretty glad that at least her personality wasn't sexualised.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Cindy's outfit aside, I really do think Ferrari is a great artist. He draws very distinct faces and all of his characters have cool hair.

XV spoilers:

I wanted to see timeskip Cindy badly, because it was an opportunity for a costume change, and for her cool design to be done justice.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
What is your point?
That this year's number one horribly designed objectified character in a triple A game is not as bad as last year's number one horribly designed objectified character in a triple A game by the smallest possible margin.

B-Dex

What is your point?

Quiet is the character from metal gear that was in the gif I was talking about........ where that scene literally only existed to show off her body directly to the camera.

There isn't a scene in FFXV like that.

And as an aside there are also scenes of Noctis refuelling the car. The only time Cindy does it is if you're at hammerhead.

DemWalls

Anyway, I just noticed that he doesn't mention Ravus. So I suppose he didn't design him after all.

About Cidney's design you should ask what came first, the design or the fanservice? To be more clear Cidney was designed that way because developers wanted fanservice or fanservice was a consequence of the sexy design? The answer is obvious imo.

What do you think? I'm not really sure. As I said, maybe I'll ask Roberto himself.

Cindy's outfit aside, I really do think Ferrari is a great artist. He draws very distinct faces and all of his characters have cool hair.

XV spoilers:

I wanted to see timeskip Cindy badly, because it was an opportunity for a costume change, and for her cool design to be done justice.

He does! I love his costume designs.

What the entire RPG dev teams in SE needs is better, less sexualised designs for the female characters. Should be a mandate.

Pachinko

I actually love this guys stuff. Even Cidny is fine , the problem with her is that she exists in FFXV - a game where there are only 3 notable women present. 4 if you count Kingsglaive and well.... they aren't exactly treated well by the games (and especially KG) writing.

At it's worst I suppose , Cidny exists as a reminder of just how long this game has been in the works. In 2010 , no one would have cared about a scantily clad mechanic in a final fantasy game but for the most part in the last 6 years the industry has actually made some pretty big strides of progress in not treating women like pieces of meat. Obviously not every game got the memo but enough have that whenever something comes out that's still a little backwards, it stands out. Especially in a title that's as big as this one is.

Wait a minute. Remember this post from Verendus from early 2013 before FFXV was officially revealed?

How the fuck were they supposed to release FFXV in 2014 when it was just rebooted, though??

Yup, Verendus was right again.

Yeah, Wada was crazy. That was probably some kind of old, delusional internal deadline for Nomura's original version in cross-gen form but of course they had taken the whole team to work on XIV and rebooted the game again.

cindy design is fine.

Yeah, and a small character no less.

Lolwut? Jihl and "developed" should not be used in the same sentence. She shows up a few times and dies like a chump.

Such a nice design wasted.

Dimmle

Quiet is the character from metal gear that was in the gif I was talking about........ where that scene literally only existed to show off her body directly to the camera.

There isn't a scene in FFXV like that.

And as an aside there are also scenes of Noctis refuelling the car. The only time Cindy does it is if you're at hammerhead.
I'm not sure that excuses Cindy's design and portrayal but I can't argue with what you presented.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
What do you think? I'm not really sure. As I said, maybe I'll ask Roberto himself.
Imo Cidney was designed like that because developers wanted to be like that, an artist gets the request for a certain character(sexy mechanic girl) and then keep making designs until developers approve one(the Cidney we got).

I'm not sure that excuses Cindy's design and portrayal but I can't argue with what you presented.

Cinematography and design is basic japanese fanservice shit innit.

Well, considering that FFXV is doing better internationally than Japan then hopefully SE will start to care more about how their female characters are designed and portrayed.

B-Dex

I'm not excusing her design. I already stated it was skimpy. Sure she could wear a more appropriate outfit especially since she's a mechanic.

But I also know a few guys IRL that work on cars half naked all the time. So who knows.

Ran rp

Christ that engine was crying by the time they made Lightning Returns. It's weird seeing the visuals get perpetually worse.

I'd genuinely like to know what's supposed to be good about it, because as a design it doesn't make any sort of sense in the context that she's a mechanic, or is in an incredibly hot desert area. Hell in the final game she doesn't even wear her goggles at any point, or does anything that actually looks like what a mechanic should be doing. It's only memorable because of how absurdly sexualized the outfit and thus her as a character is.

The use of color and shape is fine and the hammerhead logo & hat are great.

Final-Fantasy-XV-Cidney.jpg
ScreenShot2015-02-06at13125PM.png

If it wasn't so sexualized (crop jacket, shorts and thong instead of jumpsuit, etc) it'd be a solid design.

When it comes to hair and heat, well, not everything needs to be 100% practical. Especially not in a Final Fantasy game. XV is based on reality but it's not a simulator lol.

There's a lot wrong with it but it wouldn't take much effort to save it and make it one of the best Cid designs.

This man needs to be grilled over a volcano caldera for Cindy. Even if you're a fan of the sexualized outfit you should want to know why her body/chest look so ridiculously fake, and who decided that the cast could be so anemic that her one-dimensional nature qualifies for a major female role.
Wouldn't dare show the dominant female sex symbol of the game at an age considered by many to be "past her peak." There is no way this isn't the reason, beyond laziness or cut content.
PSY・S;227136984 said:
There's a lot wrong with it but it wouldn't take much effort to save it and make it one of the best Cid designs.
Seriously all she needed was a more logical outfit and it would be easier to excuse the rest.

That's not entirely true. Jihl is the leader of PSICOM and in an interview Yoshida (who designed Jihl) states that Jihl is responsible for the day to day operations and tactics of PSICOM and was responsible for planning the purge at the beginning of the game. Yaag is her right hand man who carries out her orders. When you're fighting PSICOM during the majority of the game you're fighting Jihl.

She also laid out a trap on the Palamecia for all of the l'Cie and successfully lured them onto the ship by capturing Sazh and Vanille and using them as bait.

Nomura in an interview said he felt that Sazh and Jill should've represented FF13 in Dissidia because of the personal detention of their conflict which we don't get from any other characters.

Jihl is far more developed than someone like Ravus.

Yoshida?? Jihl was designed by Nao Ikeda.

Umbra was supposed to be a ninja who could turn into a dog?

And now it's just a dog.

We were robbed of the best character

What if it wasn't a ninja that could turn into a dog, but a dog that can turn into a ninja? :eek:

KevinG

Since this turned into Cindy hate thread.

Yeah. Hate her design.

Can't even play this game over this weekend with family in town. Everything else I'd be fine playing in front of them. I absolutely abhor "waifu" designs like this.

PSY・S;227136984 said:

If it wasn't so sexualized (crop jacket, shorts and thong instead of jumpsuit, etc) it'd be a solid design.

When it comes to hair and heat, well, not everything needs to be 100% practical. Especially not in a Final Fantasy game. XV is based on reality but it's not a simulator lol.

Those drawings are much better.

MCD

This man needs to be grilled over a volcano caldera for Cindy. Even if you're a fan of the sexualized outfit you should want to know why her body/chest look so ridiculously fake, and who decided that the cast could be so anemic that her one-dimensional nature qualifies for a major female role.
Wouldn't dare show the dominant female sex symbol of the game at an age considered by many to be "past her peak." There is no way this isn't the reason, beyond laziness or cut content.
Seriously all she needed was a more logical outfit and it would be easier to excuse the rest.

You want him to die for designing a bikini character?

Looks like Nomura and Tabata are both to blame. I think they should have just scrapped the whole thing. All that hype at the uncovered event etc a release date change and that was really all they had. I can't believe how much of a mess this is.

PSY・S;227136984 said:

Those are so much better

Jennipeg

Ashe is a great character unlike Cindy.

There is that yeah lol.

For me, Ashe would be perfect if she were wearing trousers instead of a skirt. That said I don't hate skirt, I could do without the splits at the sides though. There is more creativity in the overall design, in fairness she is pretty much the main character so it's expected. And really when you look at her, she is pretty covered up with flashes of skin here and there, the main event being her legs.

Cindy on the other hand has legs, arse chest and midriff on show. Not cool, the rule is legs or chest not both (in real life that is).

There is that yeah lol.

For me, Ashe would be perfect if she were wearing trousers instead of a skirt. That said I don't hate skirt, I could do without the splits at the sides though. There is more creativity in the overall design, in fairness she is pretty much the main character so it's expected. And really when you look at her, she is pretty covered up with flashes of skin here and there, the main event being her legs.

Cindy on the other hand has legs, arse chest and midriff on show. Not cool, the rule is legs or chest not both (in real life that is).

Some of the concept art for the cancelled FFXII sequel had Queen Ashelia more covered:

X9NKmAy.jpg

Jennipeg

Both would be just as showy in full 3D though. Especially the second one.

Yeah.

I really don't think so, in the 2nd one, the shirt is covering her chest completely and her ass and legs are covered. Basically it's about her stomach in that design, with her shoulders also on show. Which could be pretty sexy, and I have no problem with a sexy character. I just don't think Cindy is sexy because she shows too much. I am a woman though so my idea of sexy isn't the same as men's obviously.

Some of the concept art for the cancelled FFXII sequel had Queen Ashelia more covered:

X9NKmAy.jpg

I've never seen these before! I recognise the black mourning dress (which I love, I also love her wedding dress) but the others are new. She is wearing shorts in the Middle Eastern inspired dress, that would have been perfect for XII too. Cover her stomach in the combat dress and i'd love it.

I just think her design is an interesting mix of influences, the mixture of armour on her legs with almost French looking court shoes are (for lack of a better word) really cool.

Adaren

If I could have Noctis lean over the Regalia in short-shorts that show his tan lines, we'd be having a very different conversation.

Cindy would only be in her early 30s after the time skip. In anime years she would look in her mid twenties.

She's probably just cut because they dont have the time to develop her.

But they had time to redesign
Talcott

It's totally possible that the reason isn't blatantly sexist, but it's certainly not a good look. All of the females being absent from that part is extremely egregious.

You want him to die for designing a bikini character?

Of course we do! We could even make it a GAF community effort.

Does anyone know of any active calderas we could use? I can order us pizza.

Okay, now that is more "What the hell am I looking at?! It's so bad it hilarious" than titillating to me.

Yeah. If Cindy had a dead chocobo on her head and flapped her wings about while talking about herself in a melodramatic third-person, she would be a very, very different character.

Character portrayal is about more than how much skin is visible.

Elfstruck

It is a great mainline entry, which is absolutely incredible considering all we know so far about its development.

If Tabata had had more time this could have been a GOAT contender.

Finally someone get it. SE dumped this mess on Tabata and he still managed to pull it together. If SE would allow him more time, we would have a much better game.

LordKasual

Banned

There's no way at all? Jeeze are you sure?

Anyway, i'm surprised it took the as long as it did for this thread to become another tearbucket with Cindy's face on it. I was hoping to see some people discuss more of Ferrari's work, but nah. Lets bitch about "Major Female Character" Cindy some more.

Sigh...anyway if anyone here is honestly suggesting Cindy is as anywhere close to as bad as Quiet is...i mean, god damn.

Edit:

Now i'm curious...did Quiet get as much consistent thread derailing attention as Cindy did around here? People seem to be alot more forgiving of MGSV and Quiet was a real, actual "main" female character.

Astral Dog

Looks like Nomura and Tabata are both to blame. I think they should have just scrapped the whole thing. All that hype at the uncovered event etc a release date change and that was really all they had. I can't believe how much of a mess this is.
The game got a 83 on Metacritic so it could have been much worse.
In fact the team did what they could in two years and half, except for the plot and characters :S

The only two characters i have heard some praise from are Prompto and Ardyn

Elfstruck

What? Nomura had all those years to work out the story but he couldn't, but hey let's blame Tabata too. And no way in hell SE would allow Tabata to scrap everything.

There's no way at all? Jeeze are you sure?

Anyway, i'm surprised it took the as long as it did for this thread to become another tearbucket with Cindy's face on it. I was hoping to see some people discuss more of Ferrari's work, but nah. Lets bitch about "Major Female Character" Cindy some more.

Sigh...anyway if anyone here is honestly suggesting Cindy is as anywhere close to as bad as Quiet is...i mean, god damn.

Edit:

Now i'm curious...did Quiet get as much consistent thread derailing attention as Cindy did around here? People seem to be alot more forgiving of MGSV and Quiet was a real, actual "main" female character.

Quiet was worse.

And deservedly was panned way worse than Cindy did after MGSV was released.

rhandino

Banned
Edit:

People discussing about Cindy design in a thread about the designer of Cindy is derailing... Ok.

And yeah, Quiet was and is a very debated topic in MGSV threads... that and the whole thing about Chapter 3.

What? Nomura had all those years to work out the story but he couldn't, but hey let's blame Tabata too. And no way in hell SE would allow Tabata to scrap everything.

I blame Tabata for a lot too... namely Luna's marketing and the marketing in general of this game. But I agree it is nice that Tabata finally made this game playable but the story is just incredibly disjointed that I can't help but feel disappointed. There was a lot of shite cut in development. Look at this Roberto Ferrari guy's comments, that "supposed" 4chan leak and some previous interviews with Tabata that said stuff was in the game but it clearly wasn't. I'd like to know why there were so many problems. I feel it is both Nomura and Tabata's fault.

It's bad when it plays into damaging stereotypes and trends, such as the sexist double standard in popular media's presentation of female characters. Have you considered why, if you take set of random female characters, and a set of male ones, it's mostly the women who are dressed in impractical erotic outfits? Why is it that women are constantly cheapened by being treated as sexy props, even when they're working professionals going about their daily lives?

This reflects a wider social trend of female objectification that attacks women's worth by reinforcing, over and over again, the idea that women's main value is their sex appeal. Apart from anything else they can offer, they've got to be hot.

Fair points. I can respect them in relation to the broader state of our culture and society. But in this one specific case I find it interesting that Cindy gets so much flack when the game is basically beautiful boy road trip adventure. The four protagonists aren't dressed reasonably, given their status as royalty. Their dressed like a J-pop boy band. I can't imagine this was done to cater to their male audience. I'm not opposed to it by any means. And I know most games only cater to male interests. For me, I enjoy the ridiculousness of it all in XV. To each his own.

DemWalls

Yeah, in all this "mess" Tabata is the only one who truly deserves to be cut some slack. He's the real hero in all of this.

I blame Tabata for a lot too... namely Luna's marketing and the marketing in general of this game. But I agree it is nice that Tabata finally made this game playable but the story is just incredibly disjointed that I can't help but feel disappointed. There was a lot of shite cut in development. Look at this Roberto Ferrari guy's comments, that "supposed" 4chan leak and some previous interviews with Tabata that said stuff was in the game but it clearly wasn't. I'd like to know why there were so many problems. I feel it is both Nomura and Tabata's fault.

Tabata was simply dealt with a shitty hand and it was made worse by the fact that an internal deadline was already set and laid out on his desk, along with execs breathing down his neck to remind him of a certain budget they have apportioned for the game's development life itself.

I'm going to just shrug and believe that Tabata is more an unfortunate victim of circumstances, who has miraculously pulled off what he and his team could despite the countless obstacles strewn about all over the place. There is so much wrong with FFXV, but I'm not going to begrudge the guy too much for it.

Top Bottom