• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fictional Podcasts |OT| - "You mean it isn't real?"

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Caught up with The Truth. Gotta say I'm not a fan of whenever they "borrow" a story from another source. Most of the time they are not very interesting to listen to, like the one about meditation.

Santa for President is strangely fitting for today's political climate.

Malyse

There's an old Doctor Who radio drama from the 80's that someone put online as a podcast. I would like more of that sort of thing. Also, I'm up to 2010 now.

Caught up with The Truth. Gotta say I'm not a fan of whenever they "borrow" a story from another source. Most of the time they are not very interesting to listen to, like the one about meditation.

Santa for President is strangely fitting for today's political climate.

I remember liking the one with set in the grocery store, quite a bit.

I find that the highs are high, and the lows are really forgettable.

Generally good podcast though! I like the production value, and regular cast.

Ophelion

Do The Black Tapes get any better? The first episode was really slow.

Sort of?

It starts getting some more interesting ideas and some episodes are kinda creepy, but it never exactly stops feeling like an armature effort (which it is, but still) and all the ideas don't really gel into a nice consistent whole I feel at this point. The pieces fit together, but kind of awkwardly if that makes sense.

There's an old Doctor Who radio drama from the 80's that someone put online as a podcast. I would like more of that sort of thing. Also, I'm up to 2010 now.

Kablamo.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm one episode away from finishing Limetown and I am fairy disappointed with the whole thing. I enjoyed the first episode because it seemed like a parody of Serial in a way --a faux documentary about a fake governmental cover-up that comes to light many years later. The first episode had me hooked, but the rest of the show is set up as one-on-one interviews with people related to the incident that sound nothing like how an actual journalist would actually approach such an issue. And the dialogue is just not very good.

Edit: Magic Tavern, otoh, is a gift of God.

Sulik2

I'm one episode away from finishing Limetown and I am fairy disappointed with the whole thing. I enjoyed the first episode because it seemed like a parody of Serial in a way --a faux documentary about a fake governmental cover-up that comes to light many years later. The first episode had me hooked, but the rest of the show is set up as one-on-one interviews with people related to the incident that sound nothing like how an actual journalist would actually approach such an issue. And the dialogue is just not very good.

Edit: Magic Tavern, otoh, is a gift of God.

The last episode of Limetown is the best episode. Its just chilling.

I'm joining the Magic Tavern bandwagon. That podcast is so perfect week in and week out. Its astounding.

Chorazin

Just got to where Magic Tavern joined EarWolf and started adding in ads in the middle. :/

I get it, gotta pay the bills, but it breaks the immersion.

Swamped

Banned
I just got up to date with Magic Tavern. It was so fun, each episode entertained immensely. I wrote to them on Facebook and they replied almost immediately lol, a personalized message. That felt nice ;)

Looking for other quirky comedy podcasts... Will check through the OP!

Malyse

Seems like I found a brand new rabbit hole. There are paid audio dramas as well. Listening to Locke & Key from Audible studios. Sora makes a great psychopath.

Malyse

This thread will be the death of me.
I'm already dead.
How does that work? Just the dialogue from the comics, like a play?
Closer to a full cast audiobook. There are scene changes and some third person narration, but they let your imagination and capacity to infer do a lot of the heavy lifting. For example, one guy says "you do that better than my wife" and "well if you need money, there a hole in the rest room; my buddies won't care you aren't a girl" (both paraphrased) without ever saying what's obviously happening. And I don't know why I typed all that when I could have just said it's a lot like The Truth.

I'm already dead.

Closer to a full cast audiobook. There are scene changes and some third person narration, but they let your imagination and capacity to infer do a lot of the heavy lifting. For example, one guy says "you do that better than my wife" and "well if you need money, there a hole in the rest room; my buddies won't care you aren't a girl" (both paraphrased) without ever saying what's obviously happening. And I don't know why I typed all that when I could have just said it's a lot like The Truth.
Huh, interesting. I just imagine that something has to be lost in the translation between mediums. Comics do so much through the visuals.

Malyse

Huh, interesting. I just imagine that something has to be lost in the translation between mediums. Comics do so much through the visuals.
When you throw that many talented stars at something, you stand a good chance of getting greatness. I really want Tatiana Maslany to do more voice work now.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
New The Truth episode is up and it's a sequel to one of my favorite stories!

They are going on hiatus again though. :(

Edit: Gonna try Small Town Horror.

Another new podcast from the Nightvale team

Within the Wires, Season 1 starts June 21st
Teaser - iTunes | Libsyn
Set within an alternate reality, Within the Wires tells stories in the guise of instructional audio programs. Each season guides the listener through a different audio experience from this other universe, ushering listeners through a curriculum which unravels to reveal a much deeper and more personal story.

Malyse

Another new podcast from the Nightvale team

Within the Wires, Season 1 starts June 21st
Teaser - iTunes | Libsyn

hqdefault.jpg

I got to say, that Within The Wires premise is brilliant. Often I find the Serial/RadioLab-esque style or really many that are trying to pretend to be "real" come off as fake and kind of break the illusion they're going for

But an instructional series? That's perfect. It can do subdued and detached storytelling

Sulik2

Tanis season two has been really good. They have really hit their stride on it.

I can't figure out if I like kings fall am. The episodes are too short to ever really get room to breathe but they nail the night talk show vibe perfectly. They need an on going story though.

Because we can never have enough podcasts, I saw this list on the PNWS subreddit, there's further discussion in the actual thread itself so there might be more there too. A lot of repeats but there are some new ones. I've been enjoying Archive 81 so far.

Because we can never have enough podcasts, I saw this list on the PNWS subreddit, there's further discussion in the actual thread itself so there might be more there too. A lot of repeats but there are some new ones. I've been enjoying Archive 81 so far.
The Bright Sessions sounds so up my alley.
It’s The X-Men meets In Treatment. You’re listening to the recordings of a therapist as she tries to help some… unusual patients. You’ve got empaths, time-travelers, mind-readers, and evil jerks. Come for the superpowers, stay for the delicate portraits of ordinary people trying to live their lives. Oh, and the acting’s steller.

Edit: also The Cleansed and Our Fair City from that list

Malyse

I'm going to do another update at some point, but I wanted to call special attention to Star Trek Excelsior. This is one of the best written shows I've heard in a very long time. Without spoiling things, the plot takes two logic holes in The Next Generation and crafts a story to explain why things happened how they did. One of the most fantastic payoffs I've ever seen. Start from the beginning in spite of what the first episode tells you about quality.

Russ T

Banned
Dunno if anyone else hear felt similarly about We're Alive - fun story, but the acting felt a bit hamfisted and/or shallow, depending on the actor. (I really, really dislike the gruff dude, can't remember his name, but man it just feels way too forced and one-note.)

Well, the short six-episode story they just did was much better! It's about some prisoners who break out after the outbreak (hehe), including some run-ins with Ink. Thought it was pretty good!

frequency

Burt? I found him and Datu the worst, voice acting wise.

I just recently finished We're Alive and have yet to start Lockdown. Glad to hear it's good. I hope it's a different group of prisoners and not about the Mallers. So sick of them.

Russ T

Banned
Burt? I found him and Datu the worst, voice acting wise.

I just recently finished We're Alive and have yet to start Lockdown. Glad to hear it's good. I hope it's a different group of prisoners and not about the Mallers. So sick of them.

Yeah Burt. Datu the army guy? He's pretty bad, too. The rest range from tolerable to good. Unfortunately Burt and Datu just play such a big role. ):

And yeah it's a different group (though does have some pre-flashback interactions with mallers and Burt/Datu). I think it's a big improvement. :D

Sulik2

So when does welcome to night vale get good and do they ever stop having some terrible song in the middle of the episode?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
First episode of Within the Wires out. Latest podcast from Night Vale Presents...

So when does welcome to night vale get good and do they ever stop having some terrible song in the middle of the episode?

wat, some of that early weather is terrific.

if you don't like episode 13 (A Story About You), the show isn't for you

Chorazin

Caught up on Bright Sessions and Limetown. I want more seasons of both ASAP!!

What song? That's the weather report

Music? Night Vale doesn't have music, just the Weather telling us how lovely it is when the sky bleeds this time of year. Watch out for Red Ice!

Kalentan

Would Halo's: "Hunt the Truth" Season 1 and Season 2 count for this?

Cause regardless of people's feeling's towards them relating to Halo 5 now... They're still phenomenal.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Small Town Horror has been a disappointment so far. I like the premise, but the show meanders too much. Episode 4 was all about the protagonist not doing anything, and one third of the latest episode is just hinting that something is gonna happen in the future.

Within the Wires started too esoteric for me, but I was enthralled by the imagery by the second half.
1) If you don't like it by episode three (the one about the Station Management) you should probably skip Night Vale.

2) No.

Just started this, holy crap it's good. Can't wait to see where the stories go.
Really enjoying it as well. The acting is pretty good, and the exploration of the different abilities is very interesting. The small-scale of the format fits a podcast really well

Top Bottom