• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 13 - First screens & info

Dibbz

Van Persie I miss you

I swear the first shot I had with Giroud was an exact replica of the shot against Sunderland where he put it wide. I thought to myself, well they've nailed him pretty much.

Scored my first goal with Podolski to. Art imitating life I suppose.

I agree the speed is off, way off. I might jump back to PES this yeari don't know. I mainly play online and i know PES has been shit for years in this area. Problem with fifa for me has always been tha lack of variety in the goals, the ball always seems to go into 5 or 6 different spots of the goal and that's it. PES has always been superior and more realistic in this regard.

ABSOLUTELY AGREE! PES has always felt more organic and real to me than FIFA. In PES it feels like anything could happen, and that's what I love about sport to begin with! In recent years FIFA is much improved imo though.

ABSOLUTELY AGREE! PES has always felt more organic and real to me than FIFA. In PES it feels like anything could happen, and that's what I love about sport to begin with! In recent years FIFA is much improved imo though.

The game does feel quite different if you play it manual though, feels even more fluid because you have to really pick out passes and aim your shots.

You don't play in Slow speed gameplay?

It's not as if that changes anything online, which is where most people spend their time playing this game. The natural speed set in FIFA is far too fast, but if they changed it you can be sure there'd be a lot of rage on forums.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I have no idea what they have done with this demo. I've been playing a debug build for about a month and love it yet this demo feels terrible. First touch seems over done now, the ball bounces everywhere. In the debug build I managed to setup some fantastic shots with lobs and crosses using the first touch but in this I can't perform anything.

The defense seems to have gone full out strong now, every time I take a shot it's deflected by a defender from what ever angle or position. Obviously this is their task but it seems to be happening way to much. I'm struggling to get any type of goal in. I've also missed plenty of crosses/lobs from where the ball just goes flying past my player and going of the pitch for a throw in or goal kick. It seems to bouncy lol.

I have no idea what they have done with this demo. I've been playing a debug build for about a month and love it yet this demo feels terrible. First touch seems over done now, the ball bounces everywhere. In the debug build I managed to setup some fantastic shots with lobs and crosses using the first touch but in this I can't perform anything.

The defense seems to have gone full out strong now, every time I take a shot it's deflected by a defender from what ever angle or position. Obviously this is their task but it seems to be happening way to much. I'm struggling to get any type of goal in. I've also missed plenty of crosses/lobs from where the ball just goes flying past my player and going of the pitch for a throw in or goal kick. It seems to bouncy lol.

So the most recent build/release is different?

I'm personally having a lot of fun with the demo though. I did try 'slow' but it feels quite unresponsive at that speed, because obviously the game is built for faster play.

Feature

Banned
The failed passes is so annoying. I can't string together 10 successfull passes without some 'pro' messing it up totally but it seems the crap team arsenal has can do all of that easely in 1 time and while sprinting, as long as it's controlled by the CPU.

The failed passes is so annoying. I can't string together 10 successfull passes without some 'pro' messing it up totally but it seems the crap team arsenal has can do all of that easely in 1 time and while sprinting, as long as it's controlled by the CPU.

This so much. I've been playing as Man City and Nasri always screws up the simplest passes.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
I like the demo. plenty of things irritate me, but I think it will be fine in VP and as usual i can just use manual and save me a bunch of trouble outside my own inaccuracies.

I have to say tho. Team AI is a bit decent for a change. The runs are ok and some personality traits on some players were coming through. However, opposing AI is on some kind of beast mode shit that's as irritating as it's ever been. It's like every single person controlled by the computer is one or two orders of magnitude faster than me no matter who they or I am controlling. It's madness.

Just had a drop ball situation playing as Juventus against AC. Ref drops the ball and Montolivo plays on.. Classy!

Also, the injury which caused it was decreed to have not been serious enough for Vidal to go off, according to Jeff Shreeves. This was made known just after Vidal was subbed...

It's fun in spite of the jank, as ever.

Cuddler

I've played the demo and I don't really liked it unfortunately, Fifa 12 demo was more fun for me. I have big problems with tactical defending, I always played with high pressing in both Fifa and Pes, but this seems really impossible with tactical defending. In the end I keep losing every match because of this. Every time I press square the opponent players change direction, the same happens when he runs and then stops, I lose too much distance from him because I continue to run. Was there a button for this? Do I need to change the way I defend? I now it's a year late problem but it seems to be even worse for me in this demo. Another thing that I noticed is that it seems that the power bar for passing is more slow at charging compared to the other years and I basically always do slow passes.

I've played the demo and I don't really liked it unfortunately, Fifa 12 demo was more fun for me. I have big problems with tactical defending, I always played with high pressing in both Fifa and Pes, but this seems really impossible with tactical defending. In the end I keep losing every match because of this. Every time I press square the opponent players change direction, the same happens when he runs and then stops, I lose too much distance from him because I continue to run. Was there a button for this? Do I need to change the way I defend? I now it's a year late problem but it seems to be even worse for me in this demo. Another thing that I noticed is that it seems that the power bar for passing is more slow at charging compared to the other years and I basically always do slow passes.

You need to time your tackles and stand off your opponent.

Hold LT to hold off and change your the distance to the opponent with the stick, then when the time is right press tackle. You can sometimes get the ball off your opponent by sticking close to him.

It takes a while to get used to, but be patient and you'll find it's a much more rewarding/realistic defense mechanic. I enjoy it anyway (when i get it right).

Cuddler

You need to time your tackles and stand off your opponent.

Hold LT to hold off and change your the distance to the opponent with the stick, then when the time is right press tackle. You can sometimes get the ball off your opponent by sticking close to him.

It takes a while to get used to, but be patient and you'll find it's a much more rewarding/realistic defense mechanic. I enjoy it anyway (when i get it right).

Thanks for the answer! So it was LT (L2 for me) that I was missing, I will try to use that and see if I can play better.

Van Persie I miss you
missvzokx.gif

More like why does the player clear the ball with a rabona? What the hell..

Anyone who was having crashes after the language select on PC like me; you need to make sure Windows Media Player is installed. I'd disabled it because it's awful, but reinstalling it stopped the crash

Arnie

One thing I like about PES over Fifa, and that still prevails this year is how the ball is the one doing most of the movement, not the players. It's so quick in Fifa to reach the other end of the pitch. I want them to make the art of passing and moving really engaging, whereas now it feels incredibly simple and almost like going through the motions.

Defending is fantastic, attacking play is much improved, but there's a huge gulf between that which isn't fun at all. Midfield battles are dull, and in fact rare.

Still annoys me how players just feel so similar too.

One thing I like about PES over Fifa, and that still prevails this year is how the ball is the one doing most of the movement, not the players. It's so quick in Fifa to reach the other end of the pitch. I want them to make the art of passing and moving really engaging, whereas now it feels incredibly simple and almost like going through the motions.

Defending is fantastic, attacking play is much improved, but there's a huge gulf between that which isn't fun at all. Midfield battles are dull, and in fact rare.

I feel the same. I also feel FIFA is not improving any more. Just more features that don't help balance the game or improve it.

The first touch thing is so unrealistically implemented and mostly pretty random.

Attacking off the ball movement is so strange and unrealistic. Players fail to find space in the strangest of situations. Passing backwards is actually strangely more risky the passing forwards due to the movement of players behind the ball being so shit and the defending players being so unrealistically energetic in closing defending players on the attacking team down (and they can cover ground unrealistically quickly).

Players still control so similarly.

The ball travels in such a physically unrealistic way both on the floor and in the air - mainly too slow with unrealistic sense of acceleration/deceleration.

I also dislike how EA segments its user base by tacitly understanding there are many who don't like the default game (e.g. passing, passing speed), giving you options to change it offline, then making everyone play the flawed version that they're not used to online.

I've stopped playing the demo for the predominant reason of ball control. The first touch sensitivity is utterly ridiculous and its application, even for simple passes, adds a level of frustration that undermines any joy. I'll see if the retail release is any different.

One issue I've had with FIFA for a while are goalkicks. When I hold the power down to the maximum and my keeper boots the ball up the field, it goes directly to the opponent who headers it forward immediately reaching their strikers who are 20 yards outside my box with hardly any opposition. Does anyone experience this also?

AlexBasch

Between Theo Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain I can notice that the latter has a greater burst speed than the other, which is somewhat close to reality. :p I like sending him through balls and knowing that he'll get it most of the time by running past the defence.

One issue I've had with FIFA for a while are goalkicks. When I hold the power down to the maximum and my keeper boots the ball up the field, it goes directly to the opponent who headers it forward immediately reaching their strikers who are 20 yards outside my box with hardly any opposition. Does anyone experience this also?
I don't goalkick for that same reason, I always prefer to start building the play with short passes instead.

Kiraly

Yeah, this happens for like 5 years now in FIFA.

TheLawyer

Neo Member
Understandably this is not the final version...

Having said that I have found the demo extremely disappointing for quite a few reasons.

One is the first-touch. Now, I understand the mechanics and nature of what EA are trying to do with regards to the way in which the ball travels to feet and how pace, power and player ability can effect the resulting first-touch, but the way it is set up in the demo is woefully inconsistent, to the point where I once or twice (once very vividly) sprinted with Pirlo down the middle of the pitch with no-one around, and on my second touch with the ball it flew off a good two meters into the middle of the pitch. I've also had points where the ball has come into feet slowly with good technical players and they have had ridiculous first-touch reactions.

Another great qualm I have is with the complete and distinct lack of midfield play. Everything is done in the first or final thirds and it should not be as easy as it is to simply waltz through the middle of the park. It annoys me that a player like Yaya Toure, who is, in reality, a dominating and influential presence that can change a game simply plays as a water-carrier in the demo because there is no semblance of combative midfield action. It is incredibly frustrating and intrinsically annoying.

Hopefully these have been fixed in more recent builds, but the lack of real change in the game irrespective of these aspects is perhaps what I think is most criminal about the demo.

Finally found a fix for the game crashing after you select the language.

Turns out you need to have windows media player installed... so stupid.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Finally found a fix for the game crashing after you select the language.

Turns out you need to have windows media player installed... so stupid.

Most random game fix ever?

I feel the same. I also feel FIFA is not improving any more. Just more features that don't help balance the game or improve it.

The first touch thing is so unrealistically implemented and mostly pretty random.

Attacking off the ball movement is so strange and unrealistic. Players fail to find space in the strangest of situations. Passing backwards is actually strangely more risky the passing forwards due to the movement of players behind the ball being so shit and the defending players being so unrealistically energetic in closing defending players on the attacking team down (and they can cover ground unrealistically quickly).

Players still control so similarly.

The ball travels in such a physically unrealistic way both on the floor and in the air - mainly too slow with unrealistic sense of acceleration/deceleration.

I also dislike how EA segments its user base by tacitly understanding there are many who don't like the default game (e.g. passing, passing speed), giving you options to change it offline, then making everyone play the flawed version that they're not used to online.

incredible, my impressions are totally different

Arnie

Another great qualm I have is with the complete and distinct lack of midfield play. Everything is done in the first or final thirds and it should not be as easy as it is to simply waltz through the middle of the park. It annoys me that a player like Yaya Toure, who is, in reality, a dominating and influential presence that can change a game simply plays as a water-carrier in the demo because there is no semblance of combative midfield action. It is incredibly frustrating and intrinsically annoying.

The biggest issue with FIFA as it stands.

Midfield play needs revolutionising like they did to defending. It needs to be turned into an enjoyable battle, and not simply a toll gate to attacking and defending. In theory, it should be the most important part of the pitch, yet it feels like the least.

There's a button for sending a player on a run following a pass, but why can't we control the direction of that run? This would make pass and move midfield so much better, because midfield players wouldn't be just bombing forwards, they'd be moving sideways and backwards, and making space would be as important as selecting the pass. It needs more player agency in how your midfield organise and control, rather than 'pass, pass, pass, goal'.

And also, does anyone miss the simplicity of the older PES's use of the right stick? I absolutely hate, abhor, despise the trick stick. It's so fucking unrealistic. How many skill moves do you see in an actual game of football? Fucking barely any. Players dribble and beat players with sharp shifts of body weight, not flicking balls over their head or doing Maradonna turns. It's completely stupid. In PES 5 that little shift of body weight was another factor in controlling possession, especially in midfield. It made 1 v 1s a part of the game, rather than a stupid meta game for the select few who can master the ridiculous trick stick.

I'm a good FIFA player, I've won the title in head to head seasons on FIFA 12, but I never use the trick stick. If it was simplified and more a system for controlling body weight and shifting momentum it'd be adopted by the mass population, would reflect real world football with greater accuracy, and would make the 1 v 1 an important aspect of the game, whereas now it feels like a sideways distraction that isn't necessary.

Osaka15

Banned
Love the Demo! I am not sure how fifa continously make the gameplay better. I loved the movement, first touch control, and fluidity. Only cons is that fifa should really give more players their faces. Or at least give Manchester United players as they derserve it.

The training mode was fun addition. I would love if they take the gameplay from fifa and the interrface from winning eleven and make the next football game. If fwinning eleven had more lincensed team and gameplay that is not square, I would have picked winnin eleven this year. But gameplay is what matter most....so fifa is the winner this year for me.

Top Bottom