• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

MrDaravon

Fucking terrible reveal, especially after all of the other baller announcements we've gotten today.

I've said before that I think SFV Seasons should be half new/half old characters, and in hindsight I think that would have helped them out tremendously in Season 2. The game's got a bad rap (whether or not it's deserved), and they probably would have gotten some decent goodwill by having some more fan favorites return in Season 2 like Sagat or Sakura. New characters are always going to be subjective to some extent regardless of their actual in-game quality, so having what most people consider to be bad character reveals like this just further feeds the negative narrative.

There's a much better game somewhere in SFV, I wish we were getting it :/

shaowebb

Meanwhile Jubei looks awesome. Come to the fun side of DLC character announcements. Come enjoy the trailer for the samurai kitty who has wolverine tools.

Man who the hell wanted Abigail anyhow? I think SF gets over better by adding characters that already have draw power because they sure aren't creating any new designs that resonate. Rufus, Hakan, Abigail, that outfit for Boxer Bison... somebody needs to help these poor guys.

Dahbomb

Abigail is so dumb and over the top that it circles back to being hilarious and fun.

The super is hype though, puts them up like a boxing punching bag and goes ham! I know Yipes will appreciate that.

I will say that if Capcom doesn't have any other trailers or reveals, then just having a trailer for Abigail is fucking weak when you've got almost every other company firing on all cylinders.

Abigail's reveal can't compare to a BB character that was nine years in the making, Trunks, GEESE fucking HOWARD, ASW's big crossover game, and the return of SKULLOMANIA and DARUN.

Heck, I'd even say the trailer for that Smash-style fighter "Icon" was more hype than Abigail, and I like Abigail.

MrCarter

Fucking terrible reveal, especially after all of the other baller announcements we've gotten today.

I've said before that I think SFV Seasons should be half new/half old characters, and in hindsight I think that would have helped them out tremendously in Season 2. The game's got a bad rap (whether or not it's deserved), and they probably would have gotten some decent goodwill by having some more fan favorites return in Season 2 like Sagat or Sakura. New characters are always going to be subjective to some extent regardless of their actual in-game quality, so having what most people consider to be bad character reveals like this just further feeds the negative narrative.

There's a much better game somewhere in SFV, I wish we were getting it :/

What are you taking about? Abigail looks like a very refreshing and unique character, I just think we need to see more of him in action. The ones we've had so far (Kolin and Ed) have been great too. Season 3 next year will have the veterans returning so I don't mind waiting. Next up, the Egyptian seer, Menat!

Perro

I'm ok with dumb-silly-ugly characters, but there's something wrong with Abigail.

And players have been waiting 2 months for the next reveal, at least you could have teased the next character or something. What a letdown.

MrDaravon

That entire top 8 was fucking ridiculous, maybe the best top 8 in SF ever? I'm glad I had no favorite going in; I wanted Punk to win because US, but Tokido's a fan favorite who's likeable, works hard and hasn't won a SF at Evo so I'm glad he won.

I have to imagine there is an incredible amount of choice posts and crow eating you could serve digging back through the Evo thread. Who knows what the future holds, but this was definitely the best chance the US has ever had to win SF at Evo.

Tripon

DE6YrZmUAAAladI.jpg

https://twitter.com/Furious_blog/status/886814148813660164

EVO overall I thought was great. Every single top 8 was great(even Injustice 2, despite the un-hype ending), and all the new game reveals and DLC trailers were great. EVO's become the E3 of fighting games, in addition to the biggest tournament of the year.

"Fighting games are great"
--Tokido, 2017

Damn right, Tokido.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
What's amazing is that Punk is an online player and I know for a fact Philly doesn't have any real killers so his training is limited. If he hung around the big boys more he could get even better and vice versa on making them better.

Next up. Capcom Cup then EVO Japan.

Busaiku

Asked in the Evo thread, but I've always wondered, did Spooky buy the rights for Riki Oh?
I'm still amazed that they air it at such big events without getting a C&D or something.

Line_HTX

Huge congrats to Tokido. Well fought and not washed up.

Punk will bounce back. That sting can only make him go further beyond.

"Fighting games are GREAT."

WHOO!!

CO_Andy

Asked in the Evo thread, but I've always wondered, did Spooky buy the rights for Riki Oh?
I'm still amazed that they air it at such big events without getting a C&D or something.
you can use commercial footage for free as long as its under a minute or something

Line_HTX

LOL

DE4vzvvXoAASiV6.jpg

This hasn't been a good an Evo as some previous years for me personally in terms of matches and the actual tournament itself, but they are goddamn killing it with announcements. Capcom is looking like the red-headed stepchild right now.

I missed this earlier, but AS GAWD AS MAH WITNESS, CAPCOM'S BROKEN IN HALF!!

😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Next year is going to be seriously more hype with DBZ and MVCi. Two new games so throw out all the current rankings.

I think it's funny that Splyce picked up RyanLV like literally a week before UMVC3 is done.

MrDaravon

Next year is going to be seriously more hype with DBZ and MVCi. Two new games so throw out all the current rankings.

I think it's funny that Splyce picked up RyanLV like literally a week before UMVC3 is done.

They had to have known that, so either it was a cheap pickup for them since they knew they'd likely be getting their name on the 1st or 2nd place player, or they see him being a threat in MvCI (or both).

Dahbomb

I think Blazblue Cross is coming 2018 too, we are going to have some crazy hype games next year. Going to be a good year for tag based fighters.

People need to power up their visual senses to follow all the tag team non sense that will be happening!

If I had to guess EVO line up for 2018:

SFV
Marvel Infinite
DBZ Fighters
Injustice 2
Tekken 7
Blazblue Cross (if it releases on time)
Smash 4
Smash Melee
Maybe KOF or GG

ARMS as wild card, depending upon how well it does at Japan EVO.

I think Blazblue Cross is coming 2018 too, we are going to have some crazy hype games next year. Going to be a good year for tag based fighters.

People need to power up their visual senses to follow all the tag team non sense that will be happening!

If I had to guess EVO line up for 2018:

SFV
Marvel Infinite
DBZ Fighters
Injustice 2
Tekken 7
Blazblue Cross (if it releases on time)
Smash 4
Smash Melee
Maybe KOF or GG

ARMS as wild card, depending upon how well it does at Japan EVO.

It's kind of hard to tell what's going to happen with Xrd because no one would think Persona, BB or UNIEL individually as games would replace it.

I don't think KOF will be there next year.

MrDaravon

Posted it in the Evo thread, but assuming we get 9 games again next year I'm guessing:

SFV
Tekken 7
Injustice 2/new NRS game
DBZF
MvC:I
Smash 4
Melee
Dissidia
GGXrd / Blazblue Cross Tag (if it's out in time)

Every year people say Melee might get dropped and it's just not gonna happen unless Nintendo puts their foot down or something like that, it's way too many unique entrants (aka $$$) for them to drop it. NRS will moneyhat their newest game in, and even if they don't have one out by next Evo (which I can't imagine) they'll still cram Injustice 2 in there.

I honestly think Dissidia has a good shot since it's fairly unique to everything else in the lineup, they'd probably get some unique entrants/viewers just because it's FF, but most importantly S-E seems to have some interest since they had a presence there this year with it. ARMS seems like way too much of a longshot IMO, but who knows I suppose.

Sayad

I honestly think Dissidia has a good shot since it's fairly unique to everything else in the lineup, they'd probably get some unique entrants/viewers just because it's FF, but most importantly S-E seems to have some interest since they had a presence there this year with it. ARMS seems like way too much of a longshot IMO, but who knows I suppose.

Dessidia is 3v3, you need six consoles and probably an internet connection to run one setup, it would be really hard for that game to get picked up by the FGC.

Lulubop

Posted it in the Evo thread, but assuming we get 9 games again next year I'm guessing:

SFV
Tekken 7
Injustice 2/new NRS game
DBZF
MvC:I
Smash 4
Melee
Dissidia
GGXrd / Blazblue Cross Tag (if it's out in time)

Every year people say Melee might get dropped and it's just not gonna happen unless Nintendo puts their foot down or something like that, it's way too many unique entrants (aka $$$) for them to drop it. NRS will moneyhat their newest game in, and even if they don't have one out by next Evo (which I can't imagine) they'll still cram Injustice 2 in there.

Why would NRS have a new game out by next evo? That's not how it works.

Dahbomb

They need to find space for more.
More space for consoles for Dissidia or more space for more games at EVO?

I think 9 games at EVO 2018 is enough. All of the games I listed (sans KOF) can clear 500+ entrants but beyond that any game I list is going to struggle to reach that much. I think that's pretty much the standard now for EVO going forward.

This is EVO 2017 for reference:

01_evonum01.jpg

Based on this you can maybe expect KOF to cut for being the lowest one on there and BB mostly because BB Cross seems to be coming sooner rather than later. GGXrd should still be safe though and that's probably going to be the 9th game at EVO.

MrDaravon

Dessidia is 3v3, you need six consoles and probably an internet connection to run one setup, it would be really hard for that game to get picked up by the FGC.

Oh lord I totally forgot that was only 3v3, my bad. Looking online I'm seeing people say you can have AI control the other two people and switch between them, but is that only against a full team of NPCs or something maybe? Edit: Yeah, looking around further it looks like you can run a 3 party team solo but only against another team of 3 AI, you can't have two human players each with two NPCs. Apparently you CAN do 1v1 in the arcade version if all players agree but posts indicate that the game isn't really balanced for that in the slightest. Booo

Why would NRS have a new game out by next evo? That's not how it works.

I'm an idiot and thought Injustice 2 came out last year for some reason. I've been up for 24+ hours and probably need to go to bed >_>

Top Bottom