• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 8-14 | Sony pleads the FiF

Thinking about jumping on the Street Fighters scene with this new addition

the reason i wasn't on it before is for 2 reasons
1.The Chars always felt they have no weight and floaty (lol i say this is because i tend to play horribly clunky games so thats my own fault)

2.I always felt i couldn't catch up, i enjoyed the system in SFxT (not talking Gems) but the movements and pace which i feel this SF is aiming for.

im looking forward
my background is clunktastic with the likes of NRS games and Tekken Games.

but just a question how you SF vets feel about an addition of chain combos which it appears to look like?

Onemic

Characters I hope dont make it:

Cammy
Rufus
Viper
El Fuerte
Blanka
T Hawk
Ibuki(Unless she's completely different than her SF4 incarnation)

Onemic

There are definitely link combos in the gameplay trailer.

All I want are the removal of plinking and 1 frame links. 2 frame links tops.

And no invincible DP's OR invincible DP's but with the same 1 frame reversal window as ST

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
The following people have the biggest chances of winning Capcom Cup.

Ricky
Justin
Infiltration
Luffy

There are already chain combos in the game. Some characters(Ibuki) get most of their damage from chain combos

I think he means in a MK/Tekken sense where strings/target combos are universal and every character has multiple ones and they form the basis of what you do for combos.

I think he means in a MK/Tekken sense where strings/target combos are universal and every character has multiple ones and they form the basis of what you do for combos.

as opposed to having one frame links as bread and butter combos for several characters?

couldn't hurt

That would be terrible, in my opinion.

A few target combos here and there are fine with me, but having every character's combo game devolve into memorizing seemingly random strings would be unbearable.

A few target combos here and there are fine with me, but having every character's combo game devolve into memorizing seemingly random strings would be unbearable.

As opposed to having the combo game being memorizing random links that are possible?

You still have to learn what the sequence of what can hit after what for a link based BnB, too.

petghost

Banned
I think 1f links are gonna exist in any fighting game...at least ones with open and creative systems. I agree that they shouldn't be intentional barriers or the basis for everyone's bnbs but yeah they gonna still exist,right?

Clawww

a thought I had about the release of SFV---it might drop sooner than expected in order to feature at the next Capcom Pro Tour

wishful thinking right hoo hah

As opposed to having the combo game being memorizing random links that are possible?

You still have to learn what the sequence of what can hit after what for a link based BnB, too.

True enough. But with links, there's a discernible reason for why things are comboing into each other: one move leaves enough hit-stun on the opponent for the next to connect in time. This allows for experimentation with individual moves and the creation of unique combos based off of observing different moves' properties.

MK style target combos, on the other hand, operate under the modus of "they work because we programmed them that way." Once again, I'm okay with a few here and there (e.g. Ibuki and Dudley combos), but to prioritize that system for most characters in the game would seriously hinder the creativity and intuitiveness of the game's combo system, in my opinion.

Onemic

What we have now is fine. SF is game with links. Its always had links. Would more chains(ala target combos) be a good thing? Depending on how they make the game, it wouldnt hurt. SF3 had tons of TC's. They shouldnt be the main way you get your combos though. It just wouldnt be street fighter. Let MK be MK and let Tekken be Tekken.

Like I said before, I think the only thing that really needs to be changed in terms of links/combos is lessening the execution requirements for links. Meaning no 1 frame links and no plinking.

I think 1f links are gonna exist in any fighting game...at least ones with open and creative systems. I agree that they shouldn't be intentional barriers or the basis for everyone's bnbs but yeah they gonna still exist,right?

If you add an input buffer then even a 1 frame link isn't really a 1 frame link.

hitsugi

It's Daigo, Infiltration, or Luffy.

...I don't know what the hell Infiltration has been working on, so Daigo or Luffy.

xCobalt

What we have now is fine. SF is game with links. Its always had links. Would more chains(ala target combos) be a good thing? Depending on how they make the game, it wouldnt hurt. SF3 had tons of TC's. They shouldnt be the main way you get your combos though. It just wouldnt be street fighter. Let MK be MK and let Tekken be Tekken.

Like I said before, I think the only thing that really needs to be changed in terms of links/combos is lessening the execution requirements for links. Meaning no 1 frame links and no plinking.

SF5 could use sfxt's way of handling combos. Links and chains were both available but since links were harder to do, they were more damaging and did less combo scaling.

Onemic

SF5 could use sfxt's way of handling combos. Links and chains were both available but since links were harder to do, they were more damaging and did less combo scaling.

That would actually be pretty interesting. I totally forgot SFxT even had that. So much wasted potential with that title.

Prototype

I like the system overall in sf4. Maybe make less 1 frame links, but they should still exist. It'd be lame if they were all gone. Reward that training to hit them with a little extra damage.

How about this:

have system where everything is a 2 frame link (or at least just not a 1 frame ) but if you do it in one frame (the first frame you can) you get a little flash and do a couple points extra damage.
Seems like this would be a win-win. Everyone can do the combos, but those who practice get a little extra damage.

Edit. Like I've said in the various SF V threads thus far, I hope Poison gets in. I'd also like to see Ibuki, Bison, Guile and make Rose less ugly.

Kalamari

I think Capcom needs to consider the logistics of online play when designing the next SF system. I think they would love to just ignore it altogether and give us more shitty netcode with no leeway whatsoever for tight links, but I don't think they can afford to do that considering the competition. They won't be able to rest on the laurels of the SF brand forever. Even Tekken is seriously gunning for the anime fighter crowd. I don't think Capcpcom can afford to screw this up, of course they probably will.

Onemic

I like the system overall in sf4. Maybe make less 1 frame links, but they should still exist. It'd be lame if they were all gone. Reward that training to hit them with a little extra damage.

How about this:

have system where everything is a 2 frame link (or at least just not a 1 frame ) but if you do it in one frame (the first frame you can) you get a little flash and do a couple points extra damage.
Seems like this would be a win-win. Everyone can do the combos, but those who practice get a little extra damage.

Edit. Like I've said in the various SF V threads thus far, I hope Poison gets in. I'd also like to see Ibuki, Bison, Guile and make Rose less ugly.

This would be fine as well

On the topic of 1 framers in SF4:

How many characters in SF4 had real 1 frame links that were necessary to their play? Most 1 frame links minus jab 1 framers could be plinked.

The only ones I know off the top of my head would be Vega, Fei, and Elena.

I think Capcom needs to consider the logistics of online play when designing the next SF system. I think they would love to just ignore it altogether and give us more shitty netcode with no leeway whatsoever for tight links, but I don't think they can afford to do that considering the competition. They won't be able to rest on the laurels of the SF brand forever. Even Tekken is seriously gunning for the anime fighter crowd. I don't think Capcpcom can afford to screw this up, of course they probably will.

Hopefully Sony sets their shit straight

vocab

As long as the chains aren't abc into what ever, and no one frame links, sure. But using SFXT as a foundation is a recipe for disaster,

kirblar

Fraudulence exposed:

B4IjU-SCMAADq4W.jpg

vocab

This would be fine as well

On the topic of 1 framers in SF4:

How many characters in SF4 had real 1 frame links that were necessary to their play? Most 1 frame links minus jab 1 framers could be plinked.

The only ones I know off the top of my head would be Vega, Fei, and Elena.

poison, rufus, abel.

Coda

As long as the chains aren't abc into what ever, and no one frame links, sure. But using SFXT as a foundation is a recipe for disaster,

I feel like from the look of it, the game is gonna play a lot faster and like alpha. But that's just my hope and prediction after watching the trailer.

petghost

Banned
Man I hated the chain/link nonsense in sfxt. Chains weren't cancellable into specials so learning links, although they were generally easier, was mad annoying seeing as how if you hit the 2nd button it was gonna come out regardless. Vsav had a similar thing but I dno I found it more bearable.

alstein

I'd be happy with input leniency for links, so if you enter in your input early, it automatically gives it to you on the 1st frame possible if the opponent is in hitstun.

Felt the issue with SF4 wasn't so much that the links were hard by itself, but it was a combo of the links being hard, and punishing a link being super-easy, and super-rewarding with FADC. Mash DP than FADC ultra- you eat half for being 1f too slow is too much of a failure penalty.

Clawww

I'd rather there be a fresher start than the same old same old.

They already said that there will be updates so returning characters are a given and will be a much easier sell than new characters. This also gives new characters a better chance to catch on.

Agreed. I'm okay with missing out on returning staple characters if I can just cop them later via DLC. People will buy the shit out of their mains or other popular characters. They could do an entire SF2 boss Sahdaloo DLC pack or something; I love all four of those characters but the game can probably kick off without them and give the new baddies some time to shine.

Imm0rt4l

I feel like they have to. Cross play, sony helping and no arcade edition of the game(at launch apparently) means that they'd have to take online play into consideration. Or at least I like to think so.

Fraudulence exposed:

B4IjU-SCMAADq4W.jpg

wolfkrone stays saying the dumbest shit

Onemic

Agreed. I'm okay with missing out on returning staple characters if I can just cop them later via DLC. People will buy the shit out of their mains or other popular characters. They could do an entire SF2 boss Sahdaloo DLC pack or something; I love all four of those characters but the game can probably kick off without them and give the new baddies some time to shine.

The only staples that are truly necessary are Ken, Ryu, and Chun. Everyone else is expendable. Other than those three the returning characters can truly be anybody.

pixelish

Top Bottom