• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 27-Nov 2 | A Lot Of Shit Went Down

ggs kimo/sloth

Kimo, you still gotta get used to the Ultra changes to the system. Gotta implement RFC into some of the Viper combos because you're missing out on tons of damage she could get off of an easy hit confirm.

Tekken is dead on this site outside of the TTT2 OT.

I mean Tekken 7 got announced and it only gained traction/posts because people were boasting their frame counting skills or their opinion on how Tekken has looked the same since Tekken 2....or something else.

In contrast, Samus' skimpy outfit thread gets likes 2000 posts of discussion out of nowhere. I will never let go of that thread example because it replicates what people really care about.

Anyway, there aren't many Tekken fans here. Tekken is dying in North America in general, which is really sad.

I don't think that's a fair comparison. It's difficult to compare the smash fanfare to anything on GAF.

Tekken isn't a limelight franchise anymore yes. But like Michael Murray said on the MasterCup stream, we're lucky that Markman is the franchise's number one fan. I had to become a premium member on nico to watch MasterCup last year. And at least the franchise is getting a sequel. A lot of games aren't lucky enough to get even that.

Tekken is dead on this site outside of the TTT2 OT.

I mean Tekken 7 got announced and it only gained traction/posts because people were boasting their frame counting skills or their opinion on how Tekken has looked the same since Tekken 2....or something else.

In contrast, Samus' skimpy outfit thread gets likes 2000 posts of discussion out of nowhere. I will never let go of that thread example because it replicates what people really care about.

Anyway, there aren't many Tekken fans here. Tekken is dying in North America in general, which is really sad.

The DOA5U thread isn't that popular either

Azure J

Abate is my hero

I want to play Luigi now

I can't believe how hype that losers finals was. So close ; _ ;

I've wanted a good reason to put Luigi back into my "serious" rotation of characters in Smash forever. I still wish if he could get fast fall cancellable fireballs a la Falco just to have some stage presence in any of the games post Melee.

Kimosabae

Banned
ggs kimo/sloth

Kimo, you still gotta get used to the Ultra changes to the system. Gotta implement RFC into some of the Viper combos because you're missing out on tons of damage she could get off of an easy hit confirm.

Cool.

If you're serious about seeing me get better do me a favor: try sticking to one or two characters so I can actually learn the matchups. If I can't get comfortable with matchup flow I can't experiment with anything at all.

I'm finding it hard training mode monster this game right now since I'm so focused on GG but I'm promising you a body bag, Black!

Sayah

That there are a shit ton of horny, sexually repressed Nintendo fanboys around here?

In any case pretty much a ton of sexuality/gender issue topics have been getting a lot of traction lately on GAF. A bunch of Bayonetta 2 threads have blown up because of this even though there are far fewer players actually playing the game. Although you can again associated that with Nintendo but still... I think it's the other reason.

I don't know what happened in that thread. The problem is. What Samus is wearing was not even skimpy. Her blue latex suit is more skimpy than that one. There's nothing more to discuss beyond that.

Bayonetta is a completely different story.

Anyway, going by your theory, if I made a thread about Catalina being very skimpy in Tekken 7, you're suggesting that would get similar traction to the Samus thread? Not because it's a Nintendo property or a Namco property but because gender/sexuality topics are popular on this forum?

I don't think that's a fair comparison. It's difficult to compare the smash fanfare to anything on GAF.

Tekken isn't a limelight franchise anymore yes. But like Michael Murray said on the MasterCup stream, we're lucky that Markman is the franchise's number one fan. I had to become a premium member on nico to watch MasterCup last year. And at least the franchise is getting a sequel. A lot of games aren't lucky enough to get even that.

I can understand Smash being popular. But a skimpy outfit thread getting that type of traction? This is different from the regular smash threads with new news updates every week.

Dahbomb

A Catalina thread was already made and it got more traction than the reveal for Claudio.

Not the same traction as the Samus thread of course (because of Smash + Nintendo fanbase) but still more traction than it would normally warrant.

All I am saying is this... if in the future Nintendo decides to make a Zelda game with a very provocative, sexualized "mature" Zelda... shit will go down on GAF. It's so predictable, like clockwork.

Sayad

I can understand Smash being popular. But a skimpy outfit thread getting that type of traction? This is different from the regular smash threads with new news updates every week.
Well, Bayonetta 2 threads discussing its exclusivity/sexiness get much bigger than Bayonetta news/trailers threads. Some topics just get more attention around here.

Dahbomb

Well, Bayonetta 2 threads discussing its exclusivity/sexiness get much bigger than Bayonetta news/trailers threads. Some topics just get more attention around here.
And bingo was his name-o.

I would also agree with console exclusivity being a huge topic on GAF. If Tekken 7 is announced as PS4 exclusive then it will get mega thread status instantly on GAF (moreso if it went Xbox One exclusive). Guaranteed.

Sayah

A Catalina thread was already made and it got more traction than the reveal for Claudio.

Not the same traction as the Samus thread of course (because of Smash + Nintendo fanbase) but still more traction than it would normally warrant.

All I am saying is this... if in the future Nintendo decides to make a Zelda game with a very provocative, sexualized "mature" Zelda... shit will go down on GAF. It's so predictable, like clockwork.

Except the topic of that Catalina thread wasn't gender/sexuality.

Dahbomb

Except the topic of that Catalina thread wasn't gender/sexuality.
Doesn't matter what the original intentional of the topic is... people will see hot chick thread and fill up thread count with stuff like:

Lets see, big tits, visible thong panties, bra for a top.

Yep, shes a fighting game character alright.

I've never seen a female in a fighing game wear heels before.

Yep, that's a female fighting game character alright

Even Dead or Alive is classier than this.

(Just from first page of that thread)

I mean we are talking about traffic on GAF right? We gauge that with post count and when people make posts like these it drives up traffic of a thread... keeping it bumped up and getting more views + posts.

Sayah

Doesn't matter what the original intentional of the topic is... people will see hot chick thread and fill up thread count with stuff like:
(Just from first page of that thread)

I mean we are talking about traffic on GAF right? We gauge that with post count and when people make posts like these it drives up traffic of a thread... keeping it bumped up and getting more views + posts.

So that's saying something about some/or a lot of the posters that post on this forum...................

There is no legit discussion about actual gender equality issues.

I don't know what to make of this.

Kumubou

The DOA5U thread isn't that popular either
The fact that the OT is even active (mainly due to DoA5:LR being announced) puts it above 95% of the games on this site, free. Threads on this site mainly follow the main news cycles, which means hype hype hype per-release and then throw it into the digital roundfile once the game actually comes out unless it's a mega-release. I doubt you'll even see that many SSB4 posts outside of the OTs unless something big happens (like new DLC being announced, or a thread for a major tournament like Apex or Evo).

Hell, I wish every fighting game got more attention -- the biggest issue is that every developer of them is some combination of ass-backwards and broke. Posting trends on forums and social media are a symptom of that, not a cause.

Sayah

Then you will always have woes about how something is getting a lot of traffic and another thing isn't.

You were originally talking about how gender/sexuality topics get a lot of traffic. I guess I misunderstood that as actual serious topics. Like gender equality or gender equity. And not gender/sexuality as in "caliente."

Never mind I guess.

Top Bottom