• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 15-21 | Mewwho?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
iCSpHORQmm0uH.gif

Week of September 15th to the 21st, 2014.

Fighting Games Weekly is the weekly discussion thread for all things fighting games. News, events, streams, videos, players, drama, everything fighting game related.

Don't know what to watch right now? Check the FGCPros Twitch Group or Jaxel's Stream Viewer. If you want to watch multiple streams at once, you can use Jaxel's customizable multiviewer as well.

New to FGC-GAF is the FGC-GAF Index which lists the fighting games GAFers plays as a neat reference with some rough statistics to boot. To add yourself to the index, quote this post and use the survey link below. Please remember to save/bookmark the "Edit your response" link so you can edit your responses if/when you buy a game already on the list or a new game that releases in the future.

Last week's thread. An archive of previous FGW threads is available here.​

ibsB0URLCQgTBQ.jpg

GUTS 3 [ Additional Streams: Smash, NRS, WWE, Bifuteki ] [ Thread ] [ Friday ] [ 6PM EDT | 3PM PDT ]
  • Game Underground returns with GUTS 3, featuring a variety of current fighting games as well as many quirkier competitions, such as Nidhogg and Texas Hold 'Em.
  • This event continues through Sunday.
  • More info is available here.
Mad Catz @ TGS [ Schedule ] [ 11AM JST | 12AM EDT | 9PM PDT Friday ]
  • Mad Catz hits TGS with a wealth of USFIV exhibitions, as well as new information about Tekken 7.
  • This event continues through Sunday.
  • More information is available here.
Rumble In The Tundra 4 [ Saturday ] [ 12PM EDT | 9AM PDT ]

iUtpKu5GLNKRB.jpg

ig57KTyNjsi3O.jpg

Every week, FGW will spotlight one GAFer to get a better picture of their history with fighting games, their preferences, and much more. For this week's FGW Player Spotlight, we will be taking a closer look at our finest brew, Coffeeling!

What fighting games do you currently play, what is your all time favourite and why?
I’m playing KOF13 and GGXX #Reload at the moment. Sometimes I mess around with SSBM. I want to learn VSav and 3S but there’s not much comp locally and I don’t have a console for training mode.

My all time favourite would probably be either SSBM or KOF13 – both feel amazingly natural to just do stuff in and the movement is so free.
What are your favorite mechanics from the current selection of fighting games and why? What are your least favorite and why?
My absolute favourite would have to be the short hop (and approximations of it like Zabel’s IAD buttons in VSav). I really like the feel of hop pressure in games. Hop-based systems in traditional fighters help give all character types a basic mixup game as well so they have at least something to work with. Just all kinds of movement tools really.

Least favourite, MvC3 TACs sound absolutely dumb but I’ve never had to experience them myself. Of some others, I’d nominate the focus attack. By itself it isn’t egregiously dumb, but it makes noncancelable pokes iffy as neutral game tools and necessitates stupidity like invincible backdashes which serve to murder ground-based pressure and simple okizeme.
What got you into fighting games? Are there any other genre of games you play?
In a long roundabout way, hanging out on Sirlin’s forums to put the genre on my radar and then watching PandaXGaming’s SSF4 lobby and chatting with the people there. It just looked like fun, and I wanted to find a backup game because MTG seemed to be going downhill for my tastes.

My main genre is CCGs, I’m an avid Legacy format player in MTG and recently picked up Android: Netrunner.
What is your favorite fighting game character and why?
I tend to love game systems more than particular characters. As a mechanical character design KOF13’s Ash is brilliant. I like the feel of the characters I play atm – Iori/Karate/Kim in KOF13, Zabel, Melee’s space animals. I like my characters toolboxy, aggressive and just a bit too good for their own good. If they have long pokes, all the better.
Describe your style of play, and how do you play (local, online, etc.).
I’m impatient as hell and just want to rush in and press buttons. It’s troublesome ^^’.

I generally like being the one who asks the questions.
What do you feel are your biggest strengths and weaknesses as a player?
I like to think I’m strong at system analysis and compelled to pick the cheap stuff. On the flipside, my MTG life has left me with a bad habit of forum/stream monstering instead of playing and practice, and I’ve gotten used to having time to assess situation. As a result I have horrid execution and am prone to flinching mid-match.
Best and worst moments in the your fighting game career?
Playing KOF13 and realizing what I actually loved about playing fighting games as opposed to thinking what’s fun to watch is what should be fun to play and that I should just trust my gut on what I enjoy instead of some stupid logical rules on what is good. Fun is fun.

Worst, dunno. Some SF4-induced ragequit after a long losing streak I guess.
What do you want from future fighting games?
Strong movement with fast walk speeds, relatively high-power characters, solid universal defense mechanisms that are not stackable. Chained-into buttons should be special cancelable. Anything else is optional.
Who should be on next week's GAF Player Spotlight?
I’ve no idea. RockTurtle was nominated last time, so him I guess?

iUoeLsdCrHsYQ.jpg

Code:
09/16  Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution (NA) (PC)
09/23  Arcana Heart 3: LOVE MAX!!!!! (NA) (EU: Q4)
09/23  Killer Instinct Combo Breaker Pack
09/30  Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (NA) (EU: TBD)
10/03  Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (NA/EU) (AU: 10/04)
10/15  Killer Instinct Season 2 (NA) (EU: TBD)
11/13  Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax (JP) (NA/EU: TBD)
12/04  Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign- (JP) (NA/EU: TBD)
Q4     BLADE ARCUS from Shining
Q4     Rise of Incarnates
Q4     Skullgirls Encore
Q4     Yatagarasu: Attack on Cataclysm
XMAS   Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
SPRING Dead or Alive 5: LAST ROUND
04/15  Mortal Kombat X
2015   Dragon Ball Xenoverse
2015   Rivals of Aether
2015   Under Night In-Birth (NA/EU)
TBD    Beast's Fury
TBD    Next The King Of Fighters Title (tentative)
TBD    Tekken 7
TBD    Tekken X Street Fighter
TBD    Yatagarasu: Legend of Raven

iknYm15Cbb3g4.jpg

Super Desperation Radio [ 9:30PM EDT | 6:30 PDT ]
  • Hellpockets and various other members of the KoF community discuss KoF and happenings in the FGC.
Gootecks & Mike Ross Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of Cross Counter Live rises a new discussion show from Gootecks and Mike Ross!
Marvel Mondays [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of The BOX Arena, comes the San Diego FGC's newest organized weekly for UMvC3.
UltraChenTV: First Attack & Lv3 Focus [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.

i05jU9MTJVOrL.jpg

Kachitagari TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Bon-chan, Kazunoko and Fuudo's new show, focusing primarily on SSFIV AE ranked matches but is branching off into other games as well.
NYC VF [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • NYC VF crew presents VF5:FS tournaments casuals out of The Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
The Break Weekly [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • New Jersey's largest weekly featuring UMvC3 and Injustice.
The On Blast Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • JamessMK & DarKNaTaS host a raw and uncut weekly talk show discussing events in the FGC with various FGC personalities.
UltraChenTV: The Tuesday Show [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.
The Show That Sucks [ 1AM EDT (following day) | 10PM PDT ]
  • iPlaywinner hosts a weekly talk show featuring alpha stream monsters Harrison and Honzo Gonzo.

ibeoCQqpoXTtfu.jpg

Game Spot Versus KoF Casuals (JP) [ 7PM JST | 6AM EDT | 3AM PDT ]
  • KoF 1998UM, KoF 2002UM and KoF XIII C action from Japan.
TOPANGA TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Description needed.
Next Level Battle Circuit [ 8PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • NYC's biggest weekly at The Next Level Arcade in Brooklyn featuring SSFIV AE, UMvC3 and TTT2. If the Teamsp00ky link is not working, it is likely on the backup stream on Arturo's channel.
Wednesday Night Fights [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]

ibuSEViyvaW6s2.jpg

HBTB Live [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • Hold Back To Block hosts a weekly roundtable discussion of various happenings in the FGC.
Melee It On Me [ 9PM EDT | 6PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Smash podcast discussing recent events, news and issues in the Smash community, hosted by Scar, Prog, Cactuar and Sheridan.
Ghost Battle Series [ 9PM CST | 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Galloping Ghost Arcade presents an Injustice weekly out of Chicago.
The Fray [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • A weekly FGC talk show hosted by iPlaywinner, featuring a varying, ensemble cast of prominent members of the fighting game community.
ATP LIVE! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • Aris' new weekly show, discussing whatever he wants to! The format resembles old ATP podcasts.
The Runback Season 4 [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]
  • The UMvC3 and KoF XIII branch of Wednesday Night Fights also hosted at Super Arcade in Walnut, California.

iUsCIlMTxirgq.jpg

The Smash Break Bi-Weekly [ 6PM EDT | 3PM PDT ]
  • The Break hosts a new Melee bi-weekly to replace Rokunaya Bi-Weeklies which are ending.
Thank God It's Team Stickbug [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Arturo streams a BlazBlue and Guilty Gear bi-weekly out of Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
KaoTV! (JP) [ 11PM JST | 10AM EDT | 7AM PDT ]
SALTY! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Skullgirls event hosted by members of the Skullgirls development team, often featuring preview builds of the game.

iDFzpxKo67pi.jpg

Rebel Up [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Super Arcade's anime bi-weekly, featuring GG, BB, P4A, SG, Gundam and older anime games as well.

ibviiDfGbYQe8.jpg

GGPO VanBats [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Weekly GGPO Vampire Savior ranbats streamed by GAFer Rotanibor.
Super Smash Sundays [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Level|Up and Team OXY partner up to create a new weekly for the SoCal Melee community, featuring doubles and singles.

ixwKqL3HDm2tG.jpg

On GAF we have various members that stream fighting games from time to time too. If you would like to add your channel to this thread, send me a PM.
Additionally, if you want to really get involved, you may want to check out the various OTs for specific games:

ijZOOUzP40x43.jpg

Often, some fighting games can seem intimidating to players new and old. Below are a bunch of resources that may be of aid to new players, or handy as references.
  • Learn How To Play Fighting Games Free eBook from Shoryuken is a fantastic primer for new players to the genre.
  • Footsies Handbook is a guide to the potentially elusive, but integral part of doing well in any fighting game.
  • NeoGAF's Arcade Stick Thread is the place to go for questions about anything arcade stick-related.
  • Step Up Your Game is an editorial series by Justin Wong that covers a multitude of topics, notably focusing on strengthening your mental game and playing smarter instead of harder.
  • Tips for first time competitors will help you straighten out those nerves and expectations when you head out to your first tournament.
  • Domination 101 is almost a cult classic article in the FGC, which has Seth Killian telling us how he really feels about the idea of "cheapness" in fighting games.
  • Team-building Guide by our very own Karsticles, which helps make it easier to approach team-building in MvC games, and games with similar synergistic elements.
GAF isn't the only FG community in town though. Here are a whole bunch of other FG communities across the internet that may be of interest:
  • 8WayRun - Soul Calibur franchise community
  • DOACentral - Dead or Alive franchise community
  • Dream Cancel - King of Fighters franchise community and resource, more US-centric
  • Dustloop - Forums/community for Arc System Works-developed games
  • Eventhubs - Frequently updated news blog, resource and forums for all things fighting games
  • FreeStepDodge - Dead or Alive franchise community
  • Homing Cancel - Arcana Heart community
  • iPlaywinner - Large fighting game news site and resource, and the home to Teamsp00ky and iPlaywinner
  • Jet Upper - UK-centric news source and community
  • Mayonaka Midnight - Persona 4 Arena community and resource
  • Melty Bread - Melty Blood community
  • Mizuumi - A resource for various "poverty" games
  • Orochinagi - King of Fighters franchise community and resource, more EU-centric
  • Reddit Fighters - Reddit's own fighting game community subreddit
  • Shoryuken - The largest FG community and multigame resource on the web, with a large Capcom games community
  • Skullheart - fan Skullgirls community and resource made official
  • TekkenZaibatsu - Tekken franchise community
  • Test Your Might - Mortal Kombat and Injustice community and resource
  • UKFGC - UK-centric news source and community
  • Smash Boards - The largest Smash Bros. Community™
  • VFDC - Virtua Fighter franchise community site

- - -

If you have any suggestions for the OP, please do not hesitate to post in this thread or PM me to let me know.

WarRock

this is...
actually, outside of missing out on tekken, you got it all. i envy your path. buy a ps2 though

Now that you mentioned it, I really dislike Tekken, so it kinda works for me. At the moment I'm living more or less in a college dorm, and every now and then one of the guys challenge me for some Soul Calibur matches. Sometimes I also convince him to play Rival Schools and Tech Romancer... it's nice to have some variety. Most of the time in my old town I either played fighters against CPU or SC3/GG AC in a friend's house.

I want to get Plasma Sword at some point, seems fun and accessible to the majority of the people here (yeah, we already got Power Stone). And we are working on getting a collective ps2, haha.

Posting in the new thread

Guess who were my mains in Melee and Brawl and you win a humble bundle steam code I have lying around(One code for each right answer)

One guess for each game!

I'm sorry buddy but
saQaAA6.jpg

So many words for the broken heart
It's hard to see in a crimson love
So hard to breathe
Walk with me, and maybe
Nights of light so soon become
Wild and free I could feel the sun
Your every wish will be done
They tell me

[Chorus:]
Show me the meaning of being lonely
Is this the feeling I need to walk with?
Tell me why I can't be there where you are
There's something missing in my heart

Life goes on as it never ends
Eyes of stone observe the trends
They never say forever gaze if only
Guilty roads to an endless love (endless love)
There's no control
Are you with me now?
Your every wish will be done
They tell me

[Chorus]

There's nowhere to run
I have no place to go
Surrender my heart, body, and soul
How can it be
You're asking me
To feel the things you never show?

You are missing in my heart
Tell me why can't I be there where you are?

Enjoy the Smash hype I'm be all lonely in the corner reminiscing about the days of SF4, and Mavhel.

Astarte

my answer for flying high's trivia!

your getting as bad with bridget as blackule is with... what was his name again? Free-Jay?

Is it too late to plug BB Hood
I can't do those links to save my god damn life
and I usually default to Lilith because Illusion is easier to land even with that tight ass frame
but I love her :y

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Now that you mentioned it, I really dislike Tekken, so it kinda works for me. At the moment I'm living more or less in a college dorm, and every now and then one of the guys challenge me for some Soul Calibur matches. Sometimes I also convince him to play Rival Schools and Tech Romancer... it's nice to have some variety. Most of the time in my old town I either played fighters against CPU or SC3/GG AC in a friend's house.

I want to get Plasma Sword at some point, seems fun and accessible to the majority of the people here (yeah, we already got Power Stone). And we are working on getting a collective ps2, haha.

Get VF3tb it's like $5 you jerk

RIP if you're playing with DC pad though -_-

I'm playing New Leaf and the thought of Smash 3DS destroying my circle pad has struck a fear in my heart that is leaving me barely moving the circle pad to move my character

I can't handle this

gutabo

Posting in the new thread

Guess who were my mains in Melee and Brawl and you win a humble bundle steam code I have lying around(One code for each right answer)

One guess for each game!

Snake and Fox

EDIT:
Get VF3tb it's like $5 you jerk

RIP if you're playing with DC pad though -_-

That's the only fighter I could get my non gamer friends into for casual play. Of course, they were using this beauty:
yes it's GC/DC/PS2 compatible

So they can fully transition from gaming enthusiasts into grumpy people that post more about how bad games are now rather than actually, you know, playing them.
We must fight against this fate!

I'm playing New Leaf and the thought of Smash 3DS destroying my circle pad has struck a fear in my heart that is leaving me barely moving the circle pad to move my character

I can't handle this
Those people play like freaks. I had a friend like that, who would basically try to tear the analog stick out with every smash attack. He just didn't get it.

dlc dlc dlc

mewtwo will be there for smash u launch
Yup yup yup!

I can't handle this

maybe don't treat your circle pad like it's made of titanium and it'll last a while.

I felt a single tear streaming down my cheek for no apparent reason and then I see that I've stumbled into this new thread by mistake.

What a title we have this week.

maybe don't treat your circle pad like it's made of titanium and it'll last a while.

I never do! But now the fear exists

THE FEAR IS REAL

Also, considering how little force/effort you need to do a smash attack on the 3DS, I'm seriously, SERIOUSLY surprised how some people are going so nuts

I can't imagine they're not going to do DLC. One just has to look at Mario Kart and what's going on there - and Smash is just as important, if not moreso, to that company.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I never do! But now the fear exists

THE FEAR IS REAL

Also, considering how little force/effort you need to do a smash attack on the 3DS, I'm seriously, SERIOUSLY surprised how some people are going so nuts

This is how we will play Smash on the 3DS:

icon_xl.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
so are we just gonna keep pretending like the DLC stuff didn't leak already at the same time as the rest of the stuff and by the same verified leaker or what

Sayad

First time trying to play Smash competitively(or for more than few minutes), where can I look for entry level guides and stuff? From what I've seen from the 3DS demo, the single most impotent skill seem to be spacing/footsies.

so are we just gonna keep pretending like the DLC stuff didn't leak already at the same time as the rest of the stuff and by the same verified leaker or what

I guess. I don't know why 3/4ths of the things that happen in the Smash thread happen, honestly, and that's definitely one of the things I don't get.

kirblar

The Ridley salt is just too funny right now.

I can't imagine Sakurai is cold-blooded enough to troll Mewtwo fans with the way they shot the Greninja reveal, but maybe he's got a painting hanging somewhere. The Lucas/Wolf DLC was admitted as BS by the original poster, I thought, but the GAF cross-play source lines up with a lot of what we were hearing beforehand.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

i thought it was a smashboards mod that did that and admitted to it? so whos in the supposed "dlc" from the same leaker?

Busaiku

I just don't get why/how people are breaking their Circle Pads over a few hours in Super Smash Bros.
People spent hundreds, maybe thousands, of hours breeding in X/Y, and no one was complaining.

jbug617

Banned
I'm looking forward to the MCZ TGS tournament this weekend. Last year was great with Choco Blanka and Haitani blowing it up.

Top Bottom