• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figures for development cost of games

zoku88

Mefisutoferesu said:
Well, I don't really believe the Halo and MGS4 numbers either, I just thought they were more plausible than the others, since they were less obscene.
I meant like, any particular reason you don't believe?

As in, why do you think they aren't that expensive?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
jakonovski said:
Looking at that Gears of War number, I cannot understand why most developers insist on reinventing the wheel by building a new 3D engine from scratch. Especially MMOs. Their engines always suck donkey balls, even WoW!

What do you suggest they use? If all of them are donkey balls according to you, perhaps one day one of them will get it right.

I've always found this subject interesting.

Anyone know about how much a DS game costs to develop? Doubt it, but just thought I'd give it a shot :D

Raistlin

Visualante said:
I don't dispute the Killzone 2 figure, in fact I think it's in the right ball park. The game has had troubled development, who knows what's to blame but the project doesn't seem to have been managed very well.

???

camineet

Banned
Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess - I heard roughly $10 million USD, but I am not certain. It is meant to be the most expensive game Nintendo has ever made. It was in development for about 4 years. edit: 10 million can't be right. edit2: i didn't read any of the other replies about Zelda in this thread before i posted. TP has gotta have cost more than 10 mil.

Shenmue (counting both I & II) about $70 million USD, over the course of about 5 years. I think that includes development from Saturn through Dreamcast.
Not sure if Xbox version of II is counted.

FightyF

Banned
From my memory, the XBLA game "Small Arms" was made by 4 people (2 programmers and 2 artists) and cost around $400K to make. It's hard to guage XBLA sales accurately, but it looks like they have cleared $1 million in revenue and will benefit from a long tail. And it sold for $10 on XBLA.

It's an interesting contrast to these big budget titles.

And it's not like it was an easy to make 2D game...here's a pic for those who aren't familiar:
0000000308-L-40842b3.jpg

My point is that while it looks like a massive financial burden to make games...digital distribution systems like Steam, XBLA, PSN, and WiiWare, will give smaller developers an opportunity to stay relevant, make quality games, and most importantly make money.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
FightyF said:
My point is that while it looks like a massive financial burden to make games...digital distribution systems like Steam, XBLA, PSN, and WiiWare, will give smaller developers an opportunity to stay relevant, make quality games, and most importantly make money.

Exactly. This makes me wonder about LostWinds and Wario Land Shake's development costs, actually...

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
lol

Being a accounting clerk those numbers could be from anywhere and include all sorts of non specific costs.

Take EA for example, [i'm told....at their lil recruiting rallies] they have teachers on staff to keep the crew up to date n' whatnot. The costs of that professor and his student's work could be thrown into damn near anything they wanted. So whats the point in trusting any numbers they put out in terms of a specific game's costs. That mystery line applies to so many positions. Tools programmer in particular. You could apply those costs any damn where you wanted. In the gaming world accounting must be FUN.

Terrell

Deku said:
you seriously don't want to happen do you?

It just seems like the industry is on an unsustainable spiral, the excesses are truly mind boggling. tens of million dollar bets. I feel like its the 1980s all over again (not an allusion to the Atari crash but to the stock market of that era)
We should send Sony and Microsoft a thank you card.
The problem is that computer science has not excelled at the same rate as hardware... I think the hardware race is going to end this gen, out of necessity alone. People simply can't make games that take advantage of new hardware without changes in how coding and graphic design labor are performed.

camineet said:
Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess - I heard roughly $10 million USD, but I am not certain.
I read $20 million, which sounds a bit more plausible to me. I doubt that includes marketing though.

FightyF

Banned
Terrell said:
We should send Sony and Microsoft a thank you card.

Why blame them when it's the consumer that craves these things? It not only applies to games, but movies as well.

The problem is that computer science has not excelled at the same rate as hardware... I think the hardware race is going to end this gen, out of necessity alone. People simply can't make games that take advantage of new hardware without changes in how coding and graphic design labor are performed.

I wouldn't factor "computer science" as being the issue here. It's mainly to do with the scope of these games, and some key decisions made (ie. licensing an engine versus re-inventing the wheel). Gears of War cost Epic $10 million to make. The UE 3 engine does physics, online play, easy to use editor, scripting, cut-scene directing, sound engine, rendering engine, etc. Many of these big titles are choosing to do all of that all over again.

You're only seeing a few of these massive budget games each year...the rest aren't necessarily sky-high.

Blaming MS and Sony for making powerful hardware doesn't make sense especially when there ARE engines out there that make good use of them and reduce development costs. MT Framework, Ego, UE 3, we're seeing a good number of games being made on them, a great majority of them looking excellent.

You have developers that take UE 3 and decide to make RoboBlitz for the PC and XBLA, and sell the game for $15, and then you have developers like BioWare who choose to make a large scale title in the form of Mass Effect, incurring heavier costs and requiring more time.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Mr. Pointy said:
I read $20 million, which sounds a bit more plausible to me. I doubt that includes marketing though.

Twilight Princess had marketing? :)P)

Terrell

FightyF said:
Why blame them when it's the consumer that craves these things? It not only applies to games, but movies as well.

I wouldn't factor "computer science" as being the issue here. It's mainly to do with the scope of these games, and some key decisions made (ie. licensing an engine versus re-inventing the wheel). Gears of War cost Epic $10 million to make. The UE 3 engine does physics, online play, easy to use editor, scripting, cut-scene directing, sound engine, rendering engine, etc. Many of these big titles are choosing to do all of that all over again.

You're only seeing a few of these massive budget games each year...the rest aren't necessarily sky-high.

Blaming MS and Sony for making powerful hardware doesn't make sense especially when there ARE engines out there that make good use of them and reduce development costs. MT Framework, Ego, UE 3, we're seeing a good number of games being made on them, a great majority of them looking excellent.

You have developers that take UE 3 and decide to make RoboBlitz for the PC and XBLA, and sell the game for $15, and then you have developers like BioWare who choose to make a large scale title in the form of Mass Effect, incurring heavier costs and requiring more time.
First off, we only want what we're TOLD to want, and Sony and Microsoft TOLD us to want "teh sick HD grafix". Some people didn't buy into what was sold to them, choosing to buy into Nintendo's marketing jargon instead. Those who rejected both sets of marketing went to game on the "open" PC platform. Simple as that.

Developers shouldn't have to rely on other developers for middleware to get a great game off the ground on this kind of hardware. All that does is stroll us into potential monopoly territory, where companies like Epic suddenly have power to completely dictate the landscape of the industry since 50% or more games use their engine.

This is a 3-pronged issue:

1) Top hardware brings the expectation that it has to be used to its full potential, usually thanks to hardware manufacturers and their marketing departments

2) Making a top-tier game shouldn't involve slave labor, which is currently the case with the 200+ developers per AAA title, as opposed to maybe 20 guys in a room 10-15 years ago, and the only cause for this is coding and graphic design hasn't been streamlined to accommodate the vast excess of work required to exploit new hardware

3) Companies wish not to put their trust in someone else's work to get the job done, and we can already see examples of how this is bad for the industry by how many rumblings we hear of people being pissed with Epic over UE3 deployment, culminating in a lawsuit from crybaby/douche game designer Denis Dyack

Explain to me where the good news is here. PLEASE.

Link1110

We know those games cost a ton to make. I'd be more interested in costs for games like Trauma Center, Apollo Justice, and games like that.

Neo C.

boco77 said:
"These numbers came from various sources, most of the numbers are from the various Famitsu I have collected over the years, these are by no means exact numbers. These numbers are only the development cost not including the advertisement and promotions. For example, the total cost of getting Halo 3 out of the door was close to 60 million USD, but the development cost was only about 30 millions. This distinction is important because publishers are usually the ones that pay for the advertisement while developers are the ones that soak up the development cost. First and second party developers have more flexibility in sharing the cost.

Project Estimated Cost
Final Fantasy VII 26 million USD
Final Fantasy X 40 million USD
Final Fantasy XII 52.3 million USD
Final Fantasy XI – Online + PlayOnline Network System 17-25 million USD
Killzone 2 20 million since 2007
Halo 3 30 million USD
Gears of War 10 million USD (not including the cost of Unreal Engine)
Metal Gear Solid 4 45 million USD
GTA 4 100 million USD (rumored)
I don't believe GTA4 costs 100 million USD for development alone. I think they included advertisement in the 100 million USD.

Most of idea factory's next gen games have sold under 12,000 copies and they keep making them, and they seem happy. Literally this must mean a crappy recycled engine next-gen game can be made for less then 250k.

Brashnir

Terrell said:
First off, we only want what we're TOLD to want, and Sony and Microsoft TOLD us to want "teh sick HD grafix". Some people didn't buy into what was sold to them, choosing to buy into Nintendo's marketing jargon instead. Those who rejected both sets of marketing went to game on the "open" PC platform. Simple as that.

Developers shouldn't have to rely on other developers for middleware to get a great game off the ground on this kind of hardware. All that does is stroll us into potential monopoly territory, where companies like Epic suddenly have power to completely dictate the landscape of the industry since 50% or more games use their engine.

This is a 3-pronged issue:

1) Top hardware brings the expectation that it has to be used to its full potential, usually thanks to hardware manufacturers and their marketing departments

2) Making a top-tier game shouldn't involve slave labor, which is currently the case with the 200+ developers per AAA title, as opposed to maybe 20 guys in a room 10-15 years ago, and the only cause for this is coding and graphic design hasn't been streamlined to accommodate the vast excess of work required to exploit new hardware

3) Companies wish not to put their trust in someone else's work to get the job done, and we can already see examples of how this is bad for the industry by how many rumblings we hear of people being pissed with Epic over UE3 deployment, culminating in a lawsuit from crybaby/douche game designer Denis Dyack

Explain to me where the good news is here. PLEASE.

to point 1) above:

At some point (you can argue whether or not Nintendo was right with their bet this generation), game graphics are going to reach a point where they're "good enough" for the average user and display technology available. For me, I was unhappy with the resolution of games last gen, and the 360/PS3 have sort of hit my sweet spot pretty well graphically.

This, coupled with the limited talents and budgets of artists and developers, will at some point in the future reach a level where most games do not push hardware to its limits, and instead opt for "good enough" graphics. If the hardware's capabilities far exceed the needs of the developer's vision, it then becomes cheaper to make the game, since resources won't need to be spent as much on optimizing for the hardware to get the most out of it.

For an example, let's look at a small budget game like Pac-Man Championship edition. Obviously, this game is not taxing the 360's hardware at all, but it still has a pleasing look to it. I doubt the programmers at Namco had to spend much time or effort (if any at all) in optimizing this game's code for performance. Now let's take Uncharted as an example at the other end. A lot of money, time and effort obviously went into optimizing this game to run on the PS3 hardware, and it shows. Now, if the PS3 was 20 times as powerful, making the exact same game run would cost significantly less. If Uncharted is at or near this "good enough" threshold for a future developer, they will be able to create the exact same game for far less money on a future console than Uncharted cost to make.

When this time finally comes in the game industry (whather it be next gen, next-next gen or sometime beyond that) then the industry will truly be mature and able to sustain diverse development from studios of different sizes. There will still be developers who push the hardware to its limit, and spend huge budgets to do it, but there will also be independent developers who can make games that look good enough to sit on the shelf next to them for a lot less money.

To take the movie industry as an example, there are still huge budget blockbusters coming out every summer trying to top each other with the best stunts and special effects, even when their processing power for effects is basically unlimited, but there's also a lot of movies made in the $5-to-$30 million budget range which are hits as well. There's also plenty of movies made for even less than that which are well-received, critically acclaimed, and turn a profit.

It is at this point in the industry's life that the "one console future" will become viable. It may take another industry crash like we had in the 80s to get there, but it is an inevitability at some point.

Y2Kev said:
Wiki says FFVII cost 45 mil. We really need to see what their "sources" are.

If you look at the end of a sentence or a word, you will see a superscript number within brackets. Click it, and it would show you the citation. Their source is the October 2005 edition of EGM.

Neo C.

Brashnir said:
To take the movie industry as an example, there are still huge budget blockbusters coming out every summer trying to top each other with the best stunts and special effects, even when their processing power for effects is basically unlimited, but there's also a lot of movies made in the $5-to-$30 million budget range which are hits as well. There's also plenty of movies made for even less than that which are well-received, critically acclaimed, and turn a profit.
IIRC, the movie industry isn't as healthy as in the past. While the studios often blame the piracy, they can't deny their blockbusters reach a financial level where they need to go really strong on first week, otherwise the movies are already flops.

Edit: I think the video game industry needs more games in the mid budget range.

[Nintex] said:
Didn't they spend like $84 million on R&D last fiscal year?

They actually gave a number for Zelda TP, it was their most expensive game. I don't know where I read it though

Holy crap. Only 84 millions? They earned 2.4 billions $ last year. And consider then that they have 8.5 billions $ of cash. O_O

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
woah, i didn't know FFXII cost THAT much to make .. all worth it though imo.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
According to Forbes - Lost Planet (360) cost $20 million to develop and $20 million to advertise. What should really be worrying is the escalating advertising budgets, not development budgets. the fact that they spent as much money ramming the game down peoples throats as they did on actually making it is not a good sign.

Kittonwy

Banned
I thought UNCHARTED!!!111!!!
angry.gif
cost $20 mil to make, so I suppose AAA games will have AAA budgets of around $20-25 million at least for the first installment.

zoukka

Phife Dawg said:
Those props are expensive.

Props? The 5 million obviously went for developing the real Master Sword.

How would have they returned peace to gaming-land without it?

poppabk said:
According to Forbes - Lost Planet (360) cost $20 million to develop and $20 million to advertise. What should really be worrying is the escalating advertising budgets, not development budgets. the fact that they spent as much money ramming the game down peoples throats as they did on actually making it is not a good sign.
Or those silly and pointless 10 million dollar Halo 3 commercials. :lol

Those are terrible commercials.

Maybe some of these extraneous costs are because of stupid decisions like those Halo 3 commercials.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
zoukka said:
Props? The 5 million obviously went for developing the real Master Sword.

How would have they returned peace to gaming-land without it?

Little does Miyamoto know that Aonuma will soon behead him with that very sword and gain the powers of ultimate game maker...

highlander.jpg

zoukka

Iaido Sword said:
Or those silly and pointless 10 million dollar Halo 3 commercials. :lol

Those are terrible commercials.

Maybe some of these extraneous costs are because of stupid decisions like those Halo 3 commercials.

Are you serious?

DuckRacer

Iaido Sword said:
If you're thinking Halo 3 sold well because of those diorama commercials, reevaluate your thoughts.
I don't think Halo 3 sold well specifically because of the commercials, but they were a factor in its success.

Haunted

jangotangos said:
The Force Unleashed development ended up costing around $50M
So how much is Lucasarts saving in the future by firing the entire fucking team?

Still makes me mad. :mad:

bdouble

industrian said:
http://i32.tinypic.com/10glffn.jpg

From Factor 5's presentation at GDC 2006.

Been looking for something like that forever. Crazy how much its gone up but like people have said the initiation of downloadable services and digital distribution have really given smaller devs a second chance and its really great for us gamers. :D

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
TheOddOne (on Halo3) said:
Nah it was about 30 mil, about 10 was like only for the game the rest was marketing (from what i understand).

Wasn't the OP specifically talking about development costs? Those shouldn't include marketing.
So it's a bit messed up either wai you look at it, I sure doubt GTIV development costs are anywhere near the realm of $100 million... probably half of that, maybe 70 million considering it's a multiplatform game (I'm pulling this figures outta my ass :p)

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I would be really interested to see the numbers for Wii vs. 360/PS3/PC costs.

Top Bottom