• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 15 - Windows Version Trailer (PC)

KupoNut

Really hoping there's going to be a benchmark for this, the tech demo they showed at IGN seemed good for this but I suppose it's still too early to release that.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Don't underestimate how murderous those fields of grass are going to be to your GPUs.

Toth

Hello everyone,

My IMac is dying so I am replacing my computer on Thursday. I want to spend around 500-700 dollars on it (monitor cost not included) and I would like to get one that will be able to run FFXV decently to well but not OMG awesome. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to look for? Any links would be awesome too.

Edit: I'll go a bit higher if necessary if the quality is worth it.

Gurnlei

Hello everyone,

My IMac is dying so I am replacing my computer on Thursday. I want to spend around 500-700 dollars on it (monitor cost not included) and I would like to get one that will be able to run FFXV decently to well but not OMG awesome. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to look for? Any links would be awesome too.

Edit: I'll go a bit higher if necessary if the quality is worth it.

This would be a good base to build off from. $850.

If you want to put another $150 or so you can go up to a 1070 GPU but the 1060 should be able to play XV at 1080p well. Dropping the SSD included for an HDD will cover most of the upgrade or bring it closer to your budget.

Guess Who

Banned
This would be a good base to build off from.

If you want to put another $150 or so you can go up to a 1070 GPU but the 1060 should be able to play XV at 1080p well. Dropping the SSD included for an HDD will cover most of the upgrade.

imo, unless literally all you care about is how high you can turn your graphics settings, you should absolutely go 1060 + SSD over 1070 + HDD. The 1070 will make games run better but the SSD will make everything load way faster.

Mifec

imo, unless literally all you care about is how high you can turn your graphics settings, you should absolutely go 1060 + SSD over 1070 + HDD. The 1070 will make games run better but the SSD will make everything load way faster.

I would NEVER rec this.

You can get an SSD whenever later and a HDD is good enough.

K.Jack

Thank you very much. However I never put together a computer before. Is it smarter for me to buy one preassembled or through BB or another computer store?

It's usually cheaper to assemble the PC yourself.

EDIT: I have to agree with Mifec, in that you always buy the best GPU you can afford first, then worry about the other parts later.

1070 + HDD >>>>> 1060 + SSD

I disagree, an SSD can't compensate for the performance loss between the 1060 and 1070.

You can always pick up an SSD for your OS at a cheaper price later down the line.

Guess Who

Banned
I would NEVER rec this.

You can get an SSD whenever later and a HDD is good enough.

I disagree, an SSD can't compensate for the performance loss between the 1060 and 1070.

You can always pick up an SSD for your OS at a cheaper price later down the line.

imo HDDs are absolutely un-fucking-usable for a main drive these days. Would never recommend it to anyone.

The 1070 is a better GPU, sure, but the OP specifically said they're okay with a GPU that runs FFXV well even if not spectacularly, and an SSD is more noticeable in basically every non-gaming application.

K.Jack

imo HDDs are absolutely un-fucking-usable for a main drive these days. Would never recommend it to anyone.

The 1070 is a better GPU, sure, but the OP specifically said they're okay with a GPU that runs FFXV well even if not spectacularly, and an SSD is more noticeable in basically every non-gaming application.

It's way cheaper to buy an SSD later, than it is to replace the GPU. That's the philosophy.

If a 1060 + SSD costs the same as a 1070 + HDD, you should usually take the latter, and buy a cheap SSD later.

The Wart

It's way cheaper to buy an SSD later, than it is to replace the GPU. That's the philosophy.

If a 1060 + SSD costs the same as a 1070 + HDD, you should usually take the latter, and buy a cheap SSD later.

I'm not sure that holds, considering that in 6 months you will probably be able to get a better graphics card for the same price or get a used 1070 for cheaper. I don't think SSD prices are dropping that rapidly anymore and we're not far from nVidia's new GPU lineup.

Also, I'm not sure how loading times are in FFXV but Witcher 3 on an SSD was a much more pleasant experience than on an HDD.

K.Jack

I'm not sure that holds, considering that in 6 months you will probably be able to get a better graphics card for the same price or get a used 1070 for cheaper. I don't think SSD prices are dropping that rapidly anymore and we're not far from nVidia's new GPU lineup.

Also, I'm not sure how loading times are in FFXV but Witcher 3 on an SSD was a much more pleasant experience than on an HDD.

The person whose scenario we're discussing is talking about buying within the next few days. 6 months from now is irrelevant.

Newboi

Nvidia released new direct feed gameplay footage of FFXV. It looks like more Gameworks effects are on display here. This game is looking incredible!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-VvWtmY4YE

If I can make 60fps at 1080p with all of the Gameworks effects enabled on my GTX1080, that would be awesome. I can go without HFTS though if I'll need to shore up more performance.

LordKasual

Banned
Hopefully it's better than FF14 or FF14 adopts this game's tesselation, because it's utterly disgusting in 14.

Looks like a foam mattress pad.
iIlisdJ.jpg

Arkeband was referring to XIV's Parallax Occlusion setting. Not Tesselation.

Tesselation actually changes the mesh of the terrain. Parallax occlusion alters the texture based on viewing angle to make it appear to have geometrical differences, but the illusion fades at extreme angles.

So they created a system in which the game analyzes the distance between an enemy and the player/npcs and decides animation playback based on that?

Yeah, it mixes the captured animation with some AI-driven alterations so that it looks natural and doesn't have the practical limitations that high density animations would have. It's easiest to see in simple running/walking animations, but XV uses it alot in all of the animations.

Enemies like the Iron Giant show this alot. Many of his attacks are wide swings/backhands, but he tracks the player throughout the motion so the attack connects.

Behemoth is another really good example, as it's easy to see how the environment / position of his target affects his animations. He has a vertical paw slap that will track the player.

You can even see it in Noctis, how his sword animations will track his target. It's alot more obvious at the end of the game because he's grown a few inches, so his same animations play slightly differently than they do otherwise.

I think the greatest example though was an earlier video before the game released. A cutscene was playing in the car, with Prompto turning around to talk to Noctis. Ignis moves his arm back to back into a parking spot, and instead of his elbow clipping through Prompto, it knocks his head to the side and all the animations play normally. That means that AI-driven systems are governing pretty much all of the animations in the game.

Edit:

Good lord, that grass and hair on the garula looks amazing

I cannot wait to see how the Clegine region looks, that is beautiful

They should apply the volumetric flame to the Fire spells, with the grass being this dense now

K.Jack

Nvidia released new direct feed gameplay footage of FFXV. It looks like more Gameworks effects are on display here. This game is looking incredible!

If I can make 60fps at 1080p with all of the Gameworks effects enabled on my GTX1080, that would be awesome. I can go without HFTS though if I'll need to shore up more performance.

Looking like the new Crysis. My 1070 just let out a cry of fear.

Volta, save meeeee! I definitely have an 1180 on my radar now.

Tank Jr.

Neo Member

This video was posted yesterday and has never been shown in 60FPS. I've gone as far as download the videos in 720, 1080p, and 4K and I still don't see 60.

Newboi

This video was posted yesterday and has never been shown in 60FPS. I've gone as far as download the videos in 720, 1080p, and 4K and I still don't see 60.

What? Of course the the frame rate isn't at 60fps. The game is running at 4K resolution with most gameworks effect enabled! I was specifically referring to 1080p.

Changing the resolution of the video wouldn't have an affect on framerate.

wol93

Banned
Did they say if this version will include all DLCs?

And what's the name of the song in the trailer? So beautiful

Top Bottom