• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
not a chance!

giphy.gif

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I can't wait to see this guy in high definition

images

Or this creepy statue

images

Verendus

Banned
No one did really, but a lot of Gaffers expect the game to release around the 20th Anniversary date.

You've seen the design doc or the game?
So because you expect the game to release in 2017 based off your own speculation, you think the backgrounds need to be pre-rendered to fit into that timeline? I'll ignore your snarky comment at the end.

Development doesn't work like that. You can't account for any troubles you might face in development, or any potential delays. Square Enix won't try to rush this game, and it's still early in development as it is. It's an expensive project, and they'll give it the time it needs.

daveo42

Banned
-Verendus mentioned seeing early pre-production work for VII:Re back with a post in 2013, I believe.
-Kagari has known about the project for at least a year prior to the E3 2015 announcement. She had to keep that info to herself all of that time, which is just insane to me. :)
-Nomura indicated production started before the FFVII PC Port PSX debacle back in December 2014, he just didn't indicate how long that production had been going on.

I believe that's what some posters are going off of when they say production (however in what capacity?) has been going on for at least a year or so.

Thanks.

I knew that someone (maybe this thread) that from a financial standpoint it had been talked about for several years, but the level of production has never been covered. While full production is a possibility, I'm still leaning towards it being fairly minimal unless I'm diminishing the overall size of SE and available teams.

I do remember the PSX debacle and the letdown we got the Remaster announcement (dat Hashimoto troll). Man has to be one of the biggest trolls on the planet.

Nomura said so. For what it is worth, the pre-production is likely a lot shorter since it is a remake.

Depends on the level of changes going in to the battle system and story.

How does that help prove the first part of your statement? If anything, it contradicts it.

Thinking it's going to be ATB similar to FFVII at this point is unrealistic IMO.
It's not going to be the same battle system as the original, that much we know, but that doesn't mean it won't be ATB

We can have both ATB and realistic looking fights. See X-2 and the XIII trilogy.

So because you expect the game to release in 2017 based off your own speculation, you think the backgrounds need to be pre-rendered to fit into that timeline? I'll ignore your snarky comment at the end.

Development doesn't work like that. You can't account for any troubles you might face in development, or any potential delays. Square Enix won't try to rush this game, and it's still early in development as it is. It's an expensive project, and they'll give it the time it needs.

It wasn't snark, it was a question. I apologize if you thought it was.

I don't think the backgrounds NEED to be pre-rendered at all. I'm simply considering how Capcom treated their remake and juxtaposing it on FF7.

I mean, if you have information you are more than willing to share with the group, please do. I want to hear more about the nuts and bolts of what's going on inside SE HQ.

Otherwise, I'm going to speculate as most other posters will.

Turin

Banned
I guess we'll be able to better gauge the plausibility of a 2017 release this Winter.

Sony's pitching in a significant amount to this project, right? Would that help speed up the process?

I know very little about game development.

I just can't see this coming out in 2017 but I wonder how much of this was worked on last year and what they will give us in winter.

I think what they will tell and maybe show us will be a good indicator if this will come out in 2 years.

Well, here's what I think:

-If this game was a projected 2019 or 2020 title, I would be shocked at their decision to tease it in 2015. They've learned the hard way since last gen the dangers of teasing projects that hadn't even started solid development. They already have people excited for XV and KHIII, not to mention Eidos projects, a new Star Ocean this year (Japan), and new projects to show for 2016. Teasing VII:Remake now leads me to believe they are confident this production will not take a half a decade to complete.

-They are already telling everyone more info is coming this winter. It's reasonable to believe Sony (maybe) convinced them to drop the reveal at E3 after they already had some kind of media coming-out party for the announcement planned for Winter. If the project was still super-early, I wouldn't imagine they'd boldly proclaim more info in 5-9 months. Why give yourself a short deadline- especially when you know people will go apeshit over MOAR NEWS! the moment after the teaser drops?

Skilletor

How does that help prove the first part of your statement? If anything, it contradicts it.

Thinking it's going to be ATB similar to FFVII at this point is unrealistic IMO.

How does it contradict it when there are so many examples of ATB or turnbased battles where people don't stand in a line?

Thinking you know any more than anyone else about the FFVIIR battle system at this point is unrealistic.

I may have more context than you considering you seem to have been missing Nomura's comments in regards to the remake. There's no reasonable reason to believe that he will do the same FFVII ATB. Everything he's been saying points against it.

It's not going to be the same battle system as the original, that much we know, but that doesn't mean it won't be ATB

We can have both ATB and realistic looking fights. See X-2 and the XIII trilogy.

Oh alright I was misinterpreting that to mean you thought FFVII's system was still in the realm of possibility

How does it contradict it when there are so many examples of ATB or turnbased battles where people don't stand in a line?

How does it support it?

"We are willingly not acknowledging PC is the other version in development because not only is it yet another valuable revenue stream but we just gotta stay quiet so Sony doesn't give us the stinkeye."
I think they genuinely want to boost PS4's sales in Japan and revitalize that market. They have many games coming out exclusively on that console and mentioning other platforms would be counterproductive when saying it's coming to PS4 is all they really need to comunicate.

The battle system definitely was a problem for XIII and to a lesser extent XIII-2. What good is a turn-based battle system for if you cannot give commands to all party members directly? Auto-battle button that take cares of things for you for a large portion of your play through? Trash.

FFXIII's battle system had it's problems in regards to losing when the main character dies, not being able to control all characters, and other things like that, but complaining that auto battle does everything for you and then go on to praise regular ATB for being better in that aspect is something I disagree with. At least you had to have some kind of strategy/setup aside from just auto battling to get by certain encounters. FFVII forces nothing on you. All you have to do is really mindlessly attack, magic and heal when your health is low. No real sense of urgency. Only some optional battles and the final boss battle were more demanding, but the optional battles in XIII were no joke as well.

I wouldn't be opposed to Tsuchida coming in and advising on an updated battle system.

The guy made some amazing (and fun, IMO) systems with FFX & FFXIII.
I think FFX is still my favorite FF battle system.

Skilletor

How does it support it?

I honestly don't know what you're talking about anymore. There is no way to draw a conclusion one way or the other about the battle system from the vague two sentences that Nomura has said on the subject. That it's "more realistic" and "people won't be standing in a line" doesn't mean it's an action RPG. It doesn't mean it's turn based or ATB, either, but it's silly to try and assert either claim at this point with the information we have.

As I said, there is no contradiction when we have so many examples of ATB and turn based battle systems where people aren't just standing around waiting for the next person's turn.

SerTapTap

Really, really hope it's something ATB based. Way less interested in a game where I only play one character (even if I can switch) and the rest are moron AI buddies that, at best, serve as an occasional heal and distraction.

I really see no benefit in making it an action RPG. Action RPG fans have FF15, Nier 2, KH3, hell basically ANY other modern Square RPG to go play. What's the benefit in making this game just like that?

FFXIII's battle system had it's problems in regards to losing when the main character dies, not being able to control all characters, and other things like that, but complaining that auto battle does everything for you and then go on to praise regular ATB for being better in that aspect is something I disagree with. At least you had to have some kind of strategy/setup aside from just auto battling to get by certain encounters. FFVII forces nothing on you. All you have to do is really mindlessly attack, magic and heal when your health is low. No real sense of urgency. Only some optional battles and the final boss battle were more demanding, but the optional battles in XIII were no joke as well.

That's a balance/difficulty issue not an ATB problem. FF7 is not a very hard game but it's not because of ATB.

Really, really hope it's something ATB based. Way less interested in a game where I only play one character (even if I can switch) and the rest are moron AI buddies that, at best, serve as an occasional heal and distraction.

I really see no benefit in making it an action RPG. Action RPG fans have FF15, Nier 2, KH3, hell basically ANY other modern Square RPG to go play. What's the benefit in making this game just like that?
im just waiting for actual info now. If the internet wouldnt have started speculating on ARPG I wouldnt even think it was possible at this point.

If somehow it does happen, I'll fucking riot

Verendus

Banned
It wasn't snark, it was a question. I apologize if you thought it was.

I don't think the backgrounds NEED to be pre-rendered at all. I'm simply considering how Capcom treated their remake and juxtaposing it on FF7.

I mean, if you have information you are more than willing to share with the group, please do. I want to hear more about the nuts and bolts of what's going on inside SE HQ.

Otherwise, I'm going to speculate as most other posters will.
Come on. Just pls.

Two Words

They are going to flip everything. Realistic characters in the exploring part of the game, chibi characters in the turn based combat part of the game.

I honestly don't know what you're talking about anymore. There is no way to draw a conclusion one way or the other about the battle system from the vague two sentences that Nomura has said on the subject. That it's "more realistic" and "people won't be standing in a line" doesn't mean it's an action RPG. It doesn't mean it's turn based or ATB, either, but it's silly to try and assert either claim at this point with the information we have.

As I said, there is no contradiction when we have so many examples of ATB and turn based battle systems where people aren't just standing around waiting for the next person's turn.

There's nothing i'm saying that's confusing. If you didn't understand what I was talking about then i'm not sure why you bothered to debate.

Stone Ocean said Realistic doesn't mean ARPG, which is fair. Then he said "especially when you consider what Nomura said about characters moving back and forth from a line"

And then I asked how that statement supported his initial point. I said if anything, it contradicted his point rather than supported it. Not that it necessarily did.

Nomura also said it'd be more action based. All of these statements point more toward the system not being regular FFVII ATB than not. I'm not saying it will be full on ARPG.

SerTapTap

im just waiting for actual info now. If teh tinernet wouldnt have started speculating on ARPG I wouldnt even think it was possible at this point.

If somehow it does happen, I'll fucking riot

I hadn't considered it either until the "realistic" combat comment. I'm liking most everything else but that's a really weird thing to say and it's really impossible to do anything but speculate about it. If it means like, better AI, attack animations (obvious), enemies respond to your tactics, map encounters instead of random I could be fine with stuff like that. But I guess it's too early to go into that kind of detail, probably not even decided yet.

Two Words

There's nothing i'm saying that's confusing. If you didn't understand what I was talking about then i'm not sure why you bothered to debate.

Stone Ocean said Realistic doesn't mean ARPG, which is fair. Then he said "especially when you consider what Nomura said about characters moving back and forth from a line"

And then I asked how that statement supported his initial point. I said if anything, it contradicted his point rather than supported it. Not that it necessarily did.

Nomura also said it'd be more action based. All of these statements point more toward the system not being regular FFVII ATB than not. I'm not saying it will be full on ARPG.
He's saying that when asked about changes, Nomura has said they don't want characters to stand in a line. That could mean they want characters to realistically move in the turn based combat.

Lightning

Banned
FFXIII system sucks. You have very limited control of your characters. Lack of control over party members is unacceptable.

The battle system for this game I don't really care as long as I have complete control of what my characters are doing, very character in the party. Not just the one I'm controlling.

I actually like the static camera and pre-rendered backgrounds of the original. :{

I tend to wonder if someone like Kitase preferred it, too, coming from his film background. FFVIII (and VII) had some brilliant camera placement throughout. Very cinematic- not just during FMVs, but in the gameplay, too.

I actually like the static camera and pre-rendered backgrounds of the original. :{

I tend to wonder if someone like Kitase preferred it, too, coming from his film background. FFVIII (and VII) had some brilliant camera placement throughout. Very cinematic- not just during FMVs, but in the gameplay, too.
There is no way a big-budget 201X game would have pre-rendered backgrounds

I want it to be a resurgence of the ATB system. Made in a way that none of us could possibly imagine. Revolutionize the ATB system, Nomura. Give us what we didn't know we wanted.

He's saying that when asked about changes, Nomura has said they don't want characters to stand in a line. That could mean they want characters to realistically move in the turn based combat.

It could, but it could mean a few different things. I don't see that statement alone as necessarily contradicting or supporting his other statement is what i'm saying.

I want it to be a resurgence of the ATB system. Made in a way that none of us could possibly imagine. Revolutionize the ATB system, Nomura. Give us what we didn't know we wanted.
This would be cool cuz tbh modern turn based games suck. FFXIII was so boring. If it's not an ARPG hopefully its some really fun new system.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
didnt they say we will know more about it this winter, wont be surprised if it is at sony's show in december sit tight until then, however in the meantime we have a crap load of amazing third party games coming out.

Verendus has stated that one of Square's main goals is to have an efficient development pipeline. They must have made some progress in that regard, so I don't think having FF VII remake by 2017 is an impossibility. Particularly if outsourced development (CC2) is an actual thing, and Sony backs them up significantly.

2018 at most, I wager.

I always preferred pre-rendered backgrounds over full 3d for JRPGs, allows them to create interesting camera angles and frame the scenes to create certain moods. REmake did it perfectly.

I hope they do a fixed camera for most areas just so they can pack in detail rather than worrying about detailing every single area that the camera could be pointed at by the player.

didnt they say we will know more about it this winter, wont be surprised if it is at sony's show in december sit tight until then, however in the meantime we have a crap load of amazing third party games coming out.

Yeah- the PSX or Jump Festa? Don't they normally have the Jump Festa in the winter? Do they even have the Jump Festa anymore, lol? Haven't kept up with the Japanese gaming scene since the PS2 days.

Square could also hold their own little event... like the ATB Reports they've been doing regularly for FFXV.

Is PSX going to be a Las Vegas thing, or are they moving locations?
Have Sony said anything? If it's in Las Vegas again, I'll be there and witness FF VII Remake, for real this time!

I always preferred pre-rendered backgrounds over full 3d for JRPGs, allows them to create interesting camera angles and frame the scenes to create certain moods. REmake did it perfectly.

SEE VERANDUS! I'm not the only person who thinks so.

You can pack so much more detail into a stationary image vs a moving 3d model.

Turin

Banned
Verendus has stated that one of Square's main goals is to have an efficient development pipeline. They must have made some progress in that regard, so I don't think having FF VII remake by 2017 is an impossibility. Particularly if outsourced development (CC2) is an actual thing, and Sony backs them up significantly.

2018 at most, I wager.

Yeah. I'm pretty confident it's at least getting out by 2018.

If it is 2017, I'd have to guess it'd be in December(same with KH3 if it's in 2016).

It would be great time of year to get to play those games.

I guess we'll be able to better gauge the plausibility of a 2017 release this Winter.

Sony's pitching in a significant amount to this project, right? Would that help speed up the process?

I know very little about game development.

Depends on where the bottleneck is. Some problems don't speed up when more resources are thrown at them, and communication among greater numbers of people is more difficult, requires more coordination, etc. Something like asset generation could benefit from having more bodies thrown at it, which is exactly why FFXV is outsourcing some of it to that Taipei studio, forget their name. Anything that requires lots of planning and conversation, however (story elements, overall feel, presentation, design decisions, writing, etc.), is going to take however long it takes.

EDIT: I should add that asset generation isn't totally a fire and forget sort of thing. Art directors want to make sure that the generated assets fit into the design they have in mind, there are technical concerns related to asset creation (such as memory usage), so it isn't something that can just be dumbly outsourced. However, modern AAA games spend a massive amount of time on assets, so with the proper oversight there can be real gains from increasing the number of people working on them. For a large game like this (will hopefully be), asset production will be a considerable chunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom