• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well damn ... Couple questions .. OK wait first congrats great job !!

Second need link for wallpaper lol full size 4k lol ..

Second what pad was used for the paint been looking into getting some but always to lost .. Just stick to pencil and paper lol
http://juliancelaj.deviantart.com/art/Speed-Painting-37-Final-Fantasy-VII-XV-543478402

I would recommend this https://store.wacom.com/us/en/product/PTH651/
Mine is a really old bamboo tablet that I bought about 6 years ago, and even then there were better options. It's not sold anymore, and I wouldn't recommend it regardless. :p This is what I will probably buy by the end of the year. Also, thank you to you and the others. I appreciate it. :)

Turin

Banned
I'll go so far to say that this trailer essentially proves to me that Nomura knows it, can handle it, and I'll trust his "remake" creative decisions way more than anyone else here who's concerned about the remake and the changes.

Because I'll say this. I don't believe anyone here, even if they had Nomura's game directing and cinematography talent, would've made that trailer the way it was. It truly was a trailer that imo, respects FFVII to its utmost. It trust the fans, it trust the source material, there's a confidence in that trailer that speaks to the heart of skeptics, as if the trailer is there to tell you "trust us, this is our vision of the remake."

Someone as shallow as me would've been tempted to easily reuse any iconic imagery, soundtrack, you know, typical 101 trailer making skills, but FFVII trailer was none of that. It was to the extent that the game didn't even have FFVII in it, it' was just the meteor logo.

Preach.

Personally, it's one of the best trailers I've ever seen for anything.

Aru

Yeah, I have to confess I never wanted an FF7 remake, because I felt that SE had lost a sense of what made the original game memorable. But after seeing the trailer, I now pray to lord Nomura-sama

I'll go so far to say that this trailer essentially proves to me that Nomura knows it, can handle it, and I'll trust his "remake" creative decisions way more than anyone else here who's concerned about the remake and the changes.

Because I'll say this. I don't believe anyone here, even if they had Nomura's game directing and cinematography talent, would've made that trailer the way it was. It truly was a trailer that imo, respects FFVII to its utmost. It trust the fans, it trust the source material, there's a confidence in that trailer that speaks to the heart of skeptics, as if the trailer is there to tell you "trust us, this is our vision of the remake."

Someone as shallow as me would've been tempted to easily reuse any iconic imagery, soundtrack, you know, typical 101 trailer making skills, but FFVII trailer was none of that. It was to the extent that the game didn't even have FFVII in it, it' was just the meteor logo.

Totally

I have faith in Nomura. He's going to make a kick-ass game that respects the original and improves it at the same time.

The teaser trailer was incredibly well done. It makes me think the team will do the story aspects justice, although it's anyone's guess what the gameplay will be like.

It truly fills me with confidence.
People are sleeping on Kitase. He has been such an integral part of this franchise, and according to Verendus, is really hands on with this project.

Yeah, he made the Lightning saga so good right?

He didn't make the XIII saga?

He was a producer, just like he is for this game. The main difference is that he is very hands on with this project.

He was the director of FF VI, Chrono Trigger and FF VII. If there is someone that you want to be hands on and motivated on this particular project, it's him.
He went as far as saying that if they were ever to make a remake of VII it would be his life's work. Also, he was so hands on with this remake, that even Nomura was thrown for a loop, and he thought Kitase was actually returning to the directorial chair.

Sami+

No one could have saved the abomination that Toriyama created.

He did direct some great Final Fantasy's.

Toriyama's pedigree is so weird to me. I'm playing X for the first time right now and loving it (most of its flaws mostly have to do with its age imo), but I hated XIII. Wonder what happened.

Toriyama's pedigree is so weird to me. I'm playing X for the first time right now and loving it (most of its flaws mostly have to do with its age imo), but I hated XIII. Wonder what happened.

He didn't direct X, he directed X-2 =X (although he was one of the writers in X along with Nojima and Watanabe). Director of X was... Kitase? I forgot. (edit: wiki tells me Kitase)

His games tend to have the same strengths and flaws. Weak story/characters and awesome battle systems. I just wish he would learn what exploration is (or at least get a decent level designer to work with him).

HeelPower

I just wish he would learn what exploration is (or at least get a decent level designer to work with him).

Except Lightning Returns, X-2 and XIII-2 are easily the most open ended games in the entire series.

Toriyama made the most linear FF(XIII) as well as the most truly non-linear and open ended FF in the entire series( Lightning Returns) ,but most people didn't play LR so its as if it doesn't exist.

I think Toriyama's strength is his event/cutscene direction. I think he has a really strong visual sense with his storyboards. FFX, and even his XIII trilogy, all imo, has a very strong visual identity that's very iconic. The opening of X, Yuna's "sending water dance" and the kiss are very, very visually provocative and strong scenes that can be credited to him. There's a strong sense of the dramatic in all of them, which captures a different tone, but it was something you can see continued in tone for Toriyama's directed trilogy.

I'd personally go so far to say that in terms of visually capturing the "Advent Children-style" crazy combat in motion, (not via gameplay, but via cutscene/storyboards), he's probably second to Nomura in the entire company.

But well, I'm not crazy about the other parts of his overall direction. I don't think Toriyama's writing skills are 'terrible', but he has a penchant for the melodramatic, and because his event direction is at its core, very stylistically dramatic to begin with, the latter combined with the former overloads it a little too much. I think Toriyama's style works best when he has a more straight-laced scenario writer to gravitate his more dramatic storytelling directions.

Except Lightning Returns, X-2 and XIII-2 are easily the most open ended games in the entire series.

Toriyama made the most linear FF(XIII) as well as the most truly non-linear and open ended FF in the entire series( Lightning Returns) ,but most people didn't play LR so its as if it doesn't exist.

I got to play a little bit of LR recently (can't wait for the PC version to finally play everything). But from what I've played of the other games, the exploration is terrible.

It's not linearity. Making a linear game doesn't deprive it of exploration. Much like making an open world game doesn't imply exploration everywhere. The KH games are much more linear than, say, FFX-2, and yet it's much more fun to explore a KH world than a place in FFX-2.

Exploration is to reward players who go out of their way and is related to level design. It does not equal open world.

Another example is Xenoblade. That game got famous for it's exploration not because of the overly big fields, but because if you explored those overly big fields you would often be rewarded with multiple things, like new areas, treasure, and even some quests (including one of my favorite sidequests).

Hey, maybe LR fixed that, but after X-2, XIII and XIII-2, I have my doubts.

The Jason

Has there never been an HD quality video of the PS3 Tech Demo?

This is the best quality I could find:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp_B6ucB-yQ

I remember having a high quality direct feed version back in the day. It was 480p if I remember correctly, but nice quality. Cant find it now, but its on a hard drive somewhere.

I think the character models were actually pretty good in the tech demo, and I wouldn't mind if the PS4 characters looked similar.

Sami+

He didn't direct X, he directed X-2 =X (although he was one of the writers in X along with Nojima and Watanabe). Director of X was... Kitase? I forgot. (edit: wiki tells me Kitase)

His games tend to have the same strengths and flaws. Weak story/characters and awesome battle systems. I just wish he would learn what exploration is (or at least get a decent level designer to work with him).

This explains a lot, and not just in a negative light. He's really good at certain things and really bad at overall direction.

HeelPower

I got to play a little bit of LR recently (can't wait for the PC version to finally play everything). But from what I've played of the other games, the exploration is terrible.

It's not linearity. Making a linear game doesn't deprive it of exploration. Much like making an open world game doesn't imply exploration everywhere. The KH games are much more linear than, say, FFX-2, and yet it's much more fun to explore a KH world than a place in FFX-2.

Exploration is to reward players who go out of their way and is related to level design. It does not equal open world.
I understand what you mean better now.

Well in terms of sheer level design, FF has never really been particularly good with exception of maybe XII.

I hope you enjoy LR.I think its a game that I need to replay and could've liked a lot better if I hadn't been on GAF.There was a strong aura of negativity surrounding that game because the XIII series dragged out for too long ,but ,on its own,its a rather brilliant game.

This explains a lot, and not just in a negative light. He's really good at certain things and really bad at overall direction.
I really want an interview where someone asks how much he involves himself with the battle systems in his games. But overall I'd say he's not all bad (also, let's not forget he was in charge of Midgar in FFVII), he is just not a very good game designer overall.

I understand what you mean better now.

Well in terms of sheer level design, FF has never really been particularly good with exception of maybe XII.

I hope you enjoy LR.I think its a game that I need to replay and could've liked a lot better if I hadn't been on GAF.There was a strong aura of negativity surrounding that game because the XIII series dragged out for too long ,but ,on its own,its a rather brilliant game.
FF tends to be alright with exploration and dungeon design. It's rarely lacking (it's not really amazing or anything, but it's rarely as bad as it is with Toriyama's games).

And yeah, the little bit I played of LR was pretty fun and sold me on the game with the battle system alone. Hopefully the port is better optimized with the delay =P

rambis

Banned
Not that I can recall.

Man, in retrospect, pulling this trailer out to people is such a slap in the face, tech demo or not.
Why?

Its the same thing they did to demo PS2, except the FF they used was nowhere near as popular and didn't cause the same uproar. Its people's own fault for the frenzy.

HeelPower

FF tends to be alright with exploration and dungeon design. It's rarely lacking (it's not really amazing or anything, but it's rarely as bad as it is with Toriyama's games).

Again,Not sure X-2,XIII-2 and LR are lacking when it comes to rewarding exploration in the context of FF games.They're clearly in the upper echelon when it comes to this particular series.Particularly X-2.That game is loaded with points of interest across the world and has a strong sense of geography ,because most places are connected by foot.

And yeah, the little bit I played of LR was pretty fun and sold me on the game with the battle system alone. Hopefully the port is better optimized with the delay =P

fingers crossed.

Falk

that puzzling face

Dead Dunes dungeon is punishment for the sin of constantly asking for something more than a corridor for dungeon design in JRPGs.

HeelPower

Dead Dunes dungeon is punishment for the sin of constantly asking for something more than a corridor for dungeon design in JRPGs.

sogood.gif

Its one of the best dungeons in all of FF along with crystal dungeon in XII and the final dungeon in XIII.

Loved its music ,fights and the lore that you get throughout.Also Fang.

Falk

that puzzling face
The one sole reason I don't want to replay Lightning Returns is that dungeon. Great combat can only offset a needlessly obtuse layout for so long. :|

(Or maybe that's because of my tendency to want to find and open every single chest in the game)

HeelPower

The one sole reason I don't want to replay Lightning Returns is that dungeon. Great combat can only offset a needlessly obtuse layout for so long. :|

(Or maybe that's because of my tendency to want to find and open every single chest in the game)

I enjoyed so much the first time. Could it be frustrating when you doing multiple re-runs ? maybe.

But I liked the element of time altering your route through the dungeon and the whole atmosphere surrounding it.

For once,a dungeon meant you could get lost.

-Ryn

Banned
Going back and reading the pages from the beginning of the thread is an absolute joy every time.

I mean we know the game has been in development for at least a year, possibly a year and a half. So if the game releases in 2017 it may have seen 3-4 years of development, which is pretty good.
Also 2017 wouldn't mean they'd rush it out for the January anniversary, it could release as a holiday title.
I suppose I'm just paranoid. Do we know how much of that was actual development though? Another thing I'm curious about is do we know what engine they're using or is the UE4 thing just speculation.

Would they really need to take their time?

They have an idea of what the game contains. I'm sure they have a design doc somewhere for reference,
I hope
They do have an advantage in knowing what the story and progression of the game will entail, but depending on how they want to approach the core gameplay, world exploration, and side quests/activities, they've got a LOT of work to do.

Figuring out how to do the over world for example. Do they want it to be like the original game where things are sized down compared to your character so they can travel the world quicker or will it be like FFXV where its all to scale as a GIANT open world with enemies wandering around and shit. If they do that then they have to consider how the player will get around since you are on foot for a while after you get out of Midgar.

I think the character models were actually pretty good in the tech demo, and I wouldn't mind if the PS4 characters looked similar.
I find it interesting to go back and look at stuff like the tech demo or the AC movie. Back then, it was top of the line holy shit my mind is blown stuff. Now I look back and notice a lot of little details that look off like hair or texture details. While it still looks good, you can see how far we've come in what we can do with CG. Perhaps we've just grown a finer eye for details.

Tabris

A month later and I'm still watching reaction videos on youtube to the trailer. I still get goosebumps at the same spots - the Sector 7 slum sled - The Shinra soldiers - The Red XIII feather dropping next to the Aerith flowers - and the Barret / Cloud reveal.

This game was so important to me when I was younger. I played it when I was having a tough time and this was the one time where video games were an escape for me. Before then, video games were either just fun or relaxing or exciting, never an escape for me. This specific game allowed me to escape into it like no other had or really has since (except for this game, video games haven't really been about escaping for me)

It was the first and one of the few times I actually cried to a video game. I was not expecting that scene to happen at the end of Disc 1. Allowed me to release emotionally at a time when things weren't going great which was probably healthy for me in the end.

After beating it, I also for the first time discussed video games online. I don't even remember where, but I found out about message boards and talked with strangers about the symbolism and underlying meanings in a lot of the plot. So this game in a way introduced me into the internet which previous I had just used for school work and looking up naked ladies. Started reading some philosophy literature from those conversations which became a big passion of mine when I was younger. Learned about things like the Kaballah thanks to this game, lol. Which lead me to renting VHS tapes of Evangelion which people mentioned had similar references, which was my favourite anime when I was younger and what my username is based on.

I also picked up and got into snowboarding thanks to this game.

So much from Final Fantasy VII. So this was the biggest video game announcement of my life.

Square2015

A month later and I'm still watching reaction videos on youtube to the trailer. I still get goosebumps at the same spots - the Sector 7 slum sled - The Shinra soldiers - The Red XIII feather dropping next to the Aerith flowers - and the Barret / Cloud reveal.

This game was so important to me when I was younger. I played it when I was having a tough time and this was the one time where video games were an escape for me. Before then, video games were either just fun or relaxing or exciting, never an escape for me. This specific game allowed me to escape into it like no other had or really has since (except for this game, video games haven't really been about escaping for me)

It was the first and one of the few times I actually cried to a video game. I was not expecting that scene to happen at the end of Disc 1. Allowed me to release emotionally at a time when things weren't going great which was probably healthy for me in the end.

After beating it, I also for the first time discussed video games online. I don't even remember where, but I found out about message boards and talked with strangers about the symbolism and underlying meanings in a lot of the plot. So this game in a way introduced me into the internet which previous I had just used for school work and looking up naked ladies. Started reading some philosophy literature from those conversations which became a big passion of mine when I was younger. Learned about things like the Kaballah thanks to this game, lol. Which lead me to renting VHS tapes of Evangelion which people mentioned had similar references, which was my favourite anime when I was younger and what my username is based on.

I also picked up and got into snowboarding thanks to this game.

So much from Final Fantasy VII. So this was the biggest video game announcement of my life.
Wow lol
Nice post :)

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I just want the ability to take my time with battles.

God what I wouldn't do for a playable demo of this, as well, just like FFVII packaged with Tobal. :(

Biker19

Banned
and why ? why " other platforms " can't mean Xbox One ?

FFXV is coming to Xbox One, KH III too, there is no reason.

Though If the sales of the Xbox One version of XV (& possibly KH III) aren't up to snuff, SE just won't bother with a Xbox One version of FF VII: Remake.

Besides, Sony is funding the game.

As long as the battles have great presentation, regardless of whether they go ATB or action, i'm good.

NzdPGbU.gif

y6QjrgX.gif

8Hlvtb4.gif

w55E7PM.gif

93LGbwI.gif

Do you think Sephiroth will look the same as he did in Advent Children?

Costume design, sure. I'm guessing the majority of the redesigns will focus on the post-FFVII Compilation costumes(which take the original designs and adds a few alterations to them).

What I HOPE they don't get rid of the awesome final boss battles and give us Sephiroth with just one big wing(like in AC).

-Ryn

Banned
What if the remake is even better than the original?
But that's not possible because reasons!

It will make bank and the fandom will rejoice. There will always be those that are unhappy with how it turns out and any small changes or lack thereof will "ruin" the experience. That's not to.say that all criticism will be unwarranted. However I'm confident there will be plenty of "It's bad because I don't like it.

De_Legend

Banned
Like the guy who translated from japanese to french at the Japan Expo said..

Don't forget it's a Remake.. not everything will be the same, even story wise.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Like the guy who translated from japanese to french at the Japan Expo said..

Don't forget it's a Remake.. not everything will be the same, even story wise.

I think that should be obvious to anyone even remotely paying attention.

I'm so tempted to do one of those official ban bets about this game i see so much of.

Even though its not confirmed, i'm almost 100% sure of the developer, the timeframe and the engine they are using, the pieces just fit together perfectly

Putting together all the little pieces of info we have i think this game will be built more like Versus than the original FF7. (Action RPG, Crazy graphics, Nomura director, open world rather than a city sized character walking around on a globe).

I also think its likely that Cyberconnect2 is assisting and that UE4 is the engine.

-Ryn

Banned
Putting together all the little pieces of info we have i think this game will be built more like Versus than the original FF7. (Action RPG, Crazy graphics, Nomura director, open world rather than a city sized character walking around on a globe).

I also think its likely that Cyberconnect2 is assisting and that UE4 is the engine.
This would make me happy (though I hope the game is made with Squares engine). Like soooo happy.

Only if you can control all your party members though. Whether through character switching or something else.

Wait... where & when was that info revealed that they will replace the world map with open world?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom