• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy real time tech demo - Luminous Studio [Up3: Survey/Screens/Video]

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I think he said he won't be directing another FF game after Versus.

I remember him saying he didn't want to be involved with FF anymore, and wanted to concentrate on Kingdom Hearts. But this was in like 2009 or so I remember translating that interview. Things might have changed since then.

We could get maybe half a town with this level of graphical detail.

Can it at least be a big town? :<

awaiken

Banned
this is an incredibly looking engine but it doesn't mean shit if the games that use it have a melodramatic anime storyline aimed at 14 year olds.

I'd love to see this used for a FF game that is serious about taking the series in a new direction (Versus I'm looking at you)

ZenaxPure

I really, truly hope, that a new engine for them does not turn out like this gen. If it can cut down on production time I am all for them ditching their current stuff and focusing on next gen.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I really, truly hope, that a new engine for them does not turn out like this gen. If it can cut down on production time I am all for them ditching their current stuff and focusing on next gen.

This one was built from the ground up with productivity in mind.

The visual flair came later.

Dat Luminous engine. Bootiful. And to think they prepared ahead of time for next generation. Now they just need to work on their management, and they might be back on track release timing wise.

MormaPope

Banned
FFXV as a next gen launch title for the next Xbox/PS4? Would definitely make Final Fantasy fans buy next gen consoles right off the bat. FFX came out really early during PS2's cycle, FF7 also came out sorta early in the PS1 cycle.

awaiken

Banned
Is it just me or are Japanese developers like Square really good at knowing how close you should get to the uncanny valley before it starts getting too weird? She's very realistic looking but not so much so that you are put off

l_4fcebcc295972kbfla.jpg

I wouldn't mind seeing that girl in a new Final Fantasy game, as long as it is written and directed by entirely new people. :| Toriyama, Kitase, and Watanabe can all go get bent for all I care.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Is it just me or are Japanese developers like Square really good at knowing how close you should get to the uncanny valley before it starts getting too weird?

After Spirits Within, they pretty much were forced to.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I really hope this is the first evidence that they have some SERIOUS plans to get their shit together for next gen.

ZenaxPure

This one was built from the ground up with productivity in mind.

Honestly would be amazing just to cease internet jokes about SE console games never coming out. I'd settle for people making fun of something else I guess. SE threads are too predictable nowadays.

I want SE to be great again
Sort out their management and don't leave us waiting 5+ years for everything

they obviously have the talent hidden somewhere

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So now that people are finally interested in threads about Luminous, here's a little bit about the new subsidiary studio making the engine.

Square Enix said:
To face the future challenges of game development head-on, our team at Square Enix is actively engaged in a comprehensive overhaul of our game development process. Leading this endeavor is the creation of a next-generation game engine aimed at delivering multi-platform, cutting-edge games for tomorrow's gaming systems. In order to achieve our goals, we've been looking for the best and brightest talent in the game industry.

Thanks to our recruiting efforts, which began last year, we've seen an influx of excellent developers not only from within Japan, but from various corners of the world as well. We've become a very international team, with about 30% of our members coming from outside of Japan.
I'd like to stress that Japanese language proficiency is not a requirement; if you think you have the right skills and are able to communicate in either English or Japanese, don't hesitate to contact us.

In addition to our work on the game engine, we're also very excited about the development of our accompanying DirectX 11-based tech demo, Philosophy. We're looking for talented individuals to push graphics technology to its limits in the production of this groundbreaking demo.

Lastly, we also have openings for researchers interested in using their academic ability to support existing game engine technology, and to help guide the next generation of entertainment technology that will be enjoyed by millions.

If you have a passion for games and game engine development and would like to put your skills to the test, we'd love to hear from you. I'm sure you'll find both rewarding challenges and a satisfying and exciting experience.

Seeking the Best
Yoshihisa Hashimoto
“Luminous Studio” Game Engine Director
“Philosophy” Technology Demo Director
Square Enix CTO
Source: http://www.square-enix.com/na/careers/getech/message.html

The screens look great, but I cannot access the link in the OP. I get a 404 forbidden. In any case, fuck, I want the video!!

Onemic

real time? Looks fucking AWESOME.

...Considering what they were able to achieve with XIII's graphics, this is definitely possible. The end result may even looks better than this.

Top Bottom