• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Tactics (PSP), Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 (DS) announced

Pellham

Banned
EphemeralDream said:
WTH? GameRankings has a higher score for FFTA than FFT.

In regards to this looking like a PSP game, I know Square doesn't want to solely support only 1 console but the gravediggers are already working on the PSP. Are they trying to guarantee that more people will buy Crisis Core (Vapor Core) by releasing some more games for the console?

FFT would work pretty well on the DS and is a game that could benefit from the port. Not necessarily for touch screen controls but more for dual screens (like having the CT order in the second screen). The only thing that would suffer is the orchestrated music, which would be a big loss but they could probably use some compression and not butcher it too much.

FOR DS DAMN YOU!

They probably know that a FFT port will only sell to the fans, not to a new audience, so it doesn't matter that they are releasing it for PSP (which is actually the platform that makes most sense for the game, design-wise)

I mean this is the reason they are still releasing FF7 spinoffs on the PSP after all. Have to cater to the fans first.

Amir0x

Banned
omg rite said:
No, a piece of shit is Bubsy 3D.

But anyone that says it's a "rancid piece of shit" is just mad that it wasn't what they wanted in a sequel to FFT, because it was more kid-oriented and easy.

Doesn't change the fact that the game stands on as own as a fun tactics game. I get not enjoying it, but a "rancid piece of shit?" Christ man, all you ever do is inflate shit.

Looks like you just stuck your foot out on the wrong road - because I'm not the biggest fan of Final Fantasy Tactics either. I love Matsuno, but I think it's likely his weakest game (if you don't count FFTA - which I don't). I believe it has some massive issues as well. My problem is that FFTA has absolutely nothing even remotely related to strategy: it removes any element of consequence for losing, and that's before you even take into account that it's beyond ****ing easy. There's barely any tactics involved at all... and its few promising elements were basically broken themselves. Its classes are also hopelessly unbalanced, and the territory implementation is a ruined disaster. That it ALSO managed to ruin some of the good things FFT actually did bring is entirely beside the point. Factoring those in or not, it's just an awful tactics game.

I choose to say "piece of shit", but please be assured that I don't even dignify Bubsy 3D with such a label.

Pellham said:
and i dont think a system for the FFT2 game is confirmed, but it'll likely go to PSP as well.

FFTA2. Not for PSP. (And it should be obvious by now that SE is largely uninterested in putting new games on PSP.)

Thanks a lot Square Enix, for killing one of the best SRPG series ever. :mad:

Yeah, it's pretty impressive how they bought it theoretically so Matsuno could continue to work on it while being employed by them and then he NEVER MADE A SINGLE GAME IN THE SERIES UNDER THEIR BANNER.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Do you people have any idea how GOOD Final Fantasy Tactics is?

Is there some reason your brains haven't degenerated into quivering masses of liquified awesome yet!?!?!

*explodes*
One of the few PS1 games I actually still actually own. But unless they are adding like... a shit-load of new content then why not put it on the download service?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
jj984jj said:
One of the few PS1 games I actually still actually own. But unless they are adding like... a shit-load of new content then why not put it on the download service?

What, 525 yen vs. new game prices?

Square-Enix is like a goddamn loan shark right now. :lol

Azrael

jj984jj said:

Because they can make more than $5 per sale that way.

ElyrionX

jesus f**king christ....a port of the original FFT to the PSP would be reason enough for me to pick up a PSP. Make it happen, Sony/SE!!!!

ccbfan

If this is true then I'll be getting a PSP. T\

Heck I'd get a freakin N-Gage if it meant I could play FFT with extras on it.

Mau ®

That's nice I guess. Though I prefer PSP to DS, the FFT series are the type of games that would benefit from using the DS screens.

Eh Im happy that we might get more FFT games.

Giard

I'm not understanding this very well....so a new FFT game is coming out on DS, a remake of the old one on PSP, and an new FFTA is being developped? On GBA I suppose?

Jenga

Banned
I hope the Lion War is a remake of FFT...to be honest I really don't want them to make a true sequel to FFT. Something just tells me they'll screw it up somehow. Besides a remade FFT with a new english translated script would rule.

Diablos

I'd be much more interested in the beefed up FFT PSP game if I owned a handheld.
FFTA is a pretty bad game, and yes, I have played it.

B.K.

Giard said:
I'm not understanding this very well....so a new FFT game is coming out on DS, a remake of the old one on PSP, and an new FFTA is being developped? On GBA I suppose?

No. Just the Tactics port for PSP and Advance 2 for an unspecified console.

Azrael

It would be nice if they rebalanced Final Fantasy Tactics, making characters like Rafa and Malak useful, and nerfing characters like Cid.

Pellham said:
They probably know that a FFT port will only sell to the fans, not to a new audience, so it doesn't matter that they are releasing it for PSP (which is actually the platform that makes most sense for the game, design-wise)

I mean this is the reason they are still releasing FF7 spinoffs on the PSP after all. Have to cater to the fans first.
I would find it hard to believe that more Square fans have a PSP over a DS, this thread serves as anecdotal evidence of that. Especially with FFTA being a GBA game and having all the numbered FFs through 6 available for DS play, many Square fans would probably prefer a DS. FFT was also not a mainstream hit (but it did put up OK numbers I think) from what I know so much of that fanbase is probably split between the two handhelds.

And aside from the music, what is the benefit of putting FFT on the PSP again design-wise? I really doubt it would be a remake, enhanced port at best.

Giard

B.K. said:
No. Just the Tactics port for PSP and Advance 2 for an unspecified console.

Thanks for clearing that up.

*sigh*....I so want to play an improved version of Tactics, but don't want to buy a PSP just for that...

jett

D-Member
duckroll said:
I wonder how Matsuno feels about Square-Enix turning his Ivalice into a franchise after his departure.

He probably stopped caring about future rapes of his games after seeing FF12's final boss.

Pellham

Banned
EphemeralDream said:
I would find it hard to believe that more Square fans have a PSP over a DS, this thread serves as anecdotal evidence of that. Especially with FFTA being a GBA game and having all the numbered FFs through 6 available for DS play, many Square fans would probably prefer a DS. FFT was also not a mainstream hit (but it did put up OK numbers I think) from what I know so much of that fanbase is probably split between the two handhelds.

And aside from the music, what is the benefit of putting FFT on the PSP again design-wise? I really doubt it would be a remake, enhanced port at best.

Who said anything about Square fans? We're talking specifically FFT fans, the hardcore nuts who played FFT and loved it to death when it came out. Not everyone who bought and played FFT is necessarily an "FFT fan".

The DS's primary userbase are new gamers or casual gamers, not hardcore gamers that the aforementioned FFT fans likely are part of.

CoolTrick

Banned
What about the fact that the game moves at a snail's pace?

In terms of what, though, exactly? The game's uberly complex story or something?

I didn't find most battles to be long, not usually. I had a really good time with it. There's a whole lot to do.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Pellham said:
Who said anything about Square fans? We're talking specifically FFT fans, the hardcore nuts who played FFT and loved it to death when it came out. Not everyone who bought and played FFT is necessarily an "FFT fan".

The DS's primary userbase are new gamers or casual gamers, not hardcore gamers that the aforementioned FFT fans likely are part of.
Doesn't explain why FFIII was put on the DS then.

Pellham said:

There are likely as many hardcore gamers who own only a DS as there are hardcore gamers who own a PSP. Just as a good percentage of DS owners only have it for Brain Age, a good percentage of PSP users only have it for entertainment/GTA/Midnight Club, etc. I don't have hard evidence, but you don't need that to know that there are a tremendous amount of hardcore gamers who own a DS.

The amount of hardcore FFT fans there are as you mentioned would be such a small number that it would easily be covered by the number of hardcore gamers who favor either handheld.

Jiggy

Shard said:
They pride themselves on that.
Except, of course, when it comes to Pokemon games... that aren't in the main series, and then they get like automatic 8.0s or higher. (Which for IP's standards is amazing.) Ugh. The only reason to read InsidePulse is for the train wreck factor.

Anyway, FFT (1) should have been ported to both DS and PSP, but eh, whatever. Square's choice. As for the other news, hopefully FFTA2 draws infinitely more inspiration from the original than from the GBA and its regression total status.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Jiggy37 said:
Except, of course, when it comes to Pokemon games... that aren't in the main series, and then they get like automatic 8.0s or higher. (Which for IP's standards is amazing.) Ugh. The only reason to read InsidePulse is for the train wreck factor.

Anyway, FFT (1) should have been ported to both DS and PSP, but eh, whatever. Square's choice. As for the other news, hopefully FFTA2 draws infinitely more inspiration from the original than from the GBA and its regression total status.

Yea or if it happens to be from Atlus or a 2d shooter or in 2d in general.

Ugh, more handheld stuff. Next-gen is looking more and more like 2-gens ago. I love Squareenix as much as the next guy but this is getting old really fast. It's not that i'm a graphics whore or anything, but i can't stress how much i'd rather game on 60" of screen than <5" of total screen. Here's hoping that they show something new (other than XIII and XIII vs) and mind blowing at their upcoming event but i seriously doubt it.

On a side note i'm not sure why people are so excited about the PSP port if it's happening. It's great that they're doing it and even better that they're adding jobs and all, but this seems like even more of a copout milk job to me than anything. By releasing it as a real game they can charge us $49.99 (or whatever the yen conversion is) as opposed to the download price it would have been up for at the playstation store. We all know that the Square games would have made it there eventually and that they were going to be some of the top games purchased / downloaded. Now instead of getting them at a bargain price we're going to have to pay full price for it all over again. A milk job at it's finest.

EDIT: Actually the more i think about it, if all the PS1 games eventually get remade for PSP (which may end up being Squeenix's strategy), i very seriously doubt we'll ever see them on the playstation store for download.

Sallokin said:
Best news I've heard all day. Tactics is one of my favorite games ever. I would kill for a next gen sequel though.

See. Somebody agrees. FFT2 come on. This is good enough to hold over until tho

JayDubya

Banned
No Matsuno, no FFT. It would be shit without him.

Also, not excited about ports of games I own. Were I to own a PSP, I'd be glad to pick up VP:L, but FF:T is not a rare bird, as you can still buy it cheap off the web for PSX.

FFTA was not fun, so don't care about it's sequel.

Still really pumped for FFXII:RW, though. It might fail spectacularly, but it looks cool so far.

Duderz

Banned
jett said:
He probably stopped caring about future rapes of his games after seeing FF12's final boss.

Oh man, I still haven't gotten around to FFXII, and I sure wish I hadn't read that. :(

Final Fantasy Tactics - The Lion War on PSP
But is this the "truth"?

Won't you join me on a
journey for the "truth"?

I'd kill for a remake with some new content. Even just some new items, a new Job, and a new dungeon would go a long way for me on my Nth game file.

ethelred

Dragona Akehi said:
The superior Ogre Battle Saga is dead.

Rest in Peace.

Yep.

Revenant Wings = Ogre Battle DS.
FFTA2 = Tactics Ogre DS.

:(

Oh well. You still gave us some of the best games of all time, OB Saga, the best villain of all time, one of the best game worlds of all time. We will miss you.

Ahem. Anyway. News:

FFT ported to the PSP: while normally I'm not big on ports, this is ****ing awesome. I love FFT and always will, and I'd love to have a portable version of it. And having it get a port instead of just being downloadable is awesome because it means the game should get a shiny new translation.

FFTA2: I'm guessing they're shuffling this one off to Murasawa as director? Hmm. Well, the guy's not all bad. FFTA2 was a pretty big disappointment to me, just in terms of comparing it to the original... but the game wasn't all bad. Lots of botched execution, but it had some promise. I'm still excited to get a new portable FF Tactics game, and I'm optimistic this one will be better than the last.

Duderz

Banned
What is the best Ogre Battle game, and how can I get it?

(And...is it better than Fire Emblem?)

I'm tired of reading about how awesome this series is, when the only one I played was OB64.

Top Bottom