• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Tactics (PSP), Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 (DS) announced

jjasper

duckroll said:
Widescreen, new jobs, new illustrative celshaded FMVs.

Awesome stuff any word what the jobs will be (sorry if it has already been said it is early and haven't read the whole thread)

painey

FFT never came out over here so now i can finally play it :D I have FFTA on GBA but i lost interest when i started getting ganked

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't like SE cheaping out like this.....why port a game, which is already playeble on PSX, PS2 and PS3....a matter of fact with it's size it's perfect for PSN download service to play on your PSP as it is. This port makes no sense, just bring Matsuno back and let him make a sequal for peeps sake!

And what's up with all this Ivalice stuff without Matsuno, the guy created that world for crying out loud. It's like writing books that take place in Middle-Earth without Tolkien, it would be totally fake!

bumpkin

So it looks like they're adding cut-scenes to the PSP FFT, or are those related to the other FFT title?

I'm all over a DS FFT. Make it so, Square!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Hopefully the FFT PSP port comes to America with a brand spankin' new translation and the port features better balance. Those were my 2 biggest complaints with the original title.

Fuma-X

Well to me it means Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 > I hope they get rid of the kiddy gameplay... which I doubt (throwing snowballs FTW)

bumpkin

djtiesto said:
Hopefully the FFT PSP port comes to America with a brand spankin' new translation and the port features better balance. Those were my 2 biggest complaints with the original title.
I didn't think it was unbalanced at all. Sure, I had to restart the game at least twice because I found I was under-powered and had saved just before a boss battle (so I couldn't put it off and level up some more), but I chalked that up to me trying to rush through.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Oh shit, FFT on a handheld!? So it's true!??!? That's one port I would shamelessly look forward to...especially with added features. I hope there's a new translation as well, that would be awesome. Great news. :)

lol @ DS getting full fledged 3D remakes and full fledged sequels (DQIX, FFXII... wow) with PSP getting straight PS1 ports. :lol :lol :lol

I kinda wish FFT was on the DS though. It's more suited. :\ Tops to PSP for that I guess.

jjasper said:
So FFT is to PSP awesome but why are they releasing it for retail if it just a port wouldn't it be much easier to just put it up on the Playstation store?

I still miss ogre battle:(

Money. They can charge the price of a full PSP game as opposed to the super discounted price (from what we've seen so far) of the PSN store. JP gamers really get screwed the most i'd think, US gamers possibly get a stronger translation / localization which might justify the price increase something that doesn't matter to them.

As a side note, was the US localization that bad? Don't really remember, played through it years ago.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Uh, how did FFTA end? I only played about 5 hours of it, cause I couldn't take it anymore...

I hope the A2 sequal isn't directly related to the story.

MoxManiac said:
Why are they making a sequel to FFTA and not FFT? FFTA blew chunks.

It's really funny to me how everyone is so strident in this. The fact that this game's name starts with "Final Fantasy Tactics Advance" no more guarantees that it will suck than FFTA's name starting with "Final Fantasy Tactics" guaranteed that it would rock. If I had to guess, the presence of the "A" there means it'll feature the XII-style varied-geography numerous-race Ivalice and not the FFT-style European blood-and-dirt Ivalice, but there's really nothing saying that it has to be as goofy and childish as the first entry. Let's wait for scans before judging.

Fake-EDIT: I'm fine with just judging all this stuff on its merits, honestly -- Matsuno is great, but it's not like he's the only person who can make a good SRPG -- but it'd be a lot easier if he'd come out of hiding and announce his own new project. He's obviously good at rolling with the punches (he invented Ivalice when he didn't have a chance to work on OB for the time being) so he might as well get out there and create another new world to beguile and entertain us. I'm sure Sakaguchi would be happy to have him, right?

Defuser

John Harker said:
Uh, how did FFTA end? I only played about 5 hours of it, cause I couldn't take it anymore...

They defeated the final boss which is some monster,then they're teleported back to the real world.typical ending.
Im actually hoping the FFTA Chars would make a return and maybe some romance,it's ain't FF without romance.

duckroll

As someone else pointed out, it's not FFTA2, its FFT A2. The title is clearly Final Fantasy Tactics in Japanese with A2 in English pronounced (in Katakana) "A Two" and while none of this might mean anything, it might also mean something! :lol

Defuser said:
They defeated the final boss which is some monster,then they're teleported back to the real world.typical ending.
Im actually hoping the FFTA Chars would make a return and maybe some romance,it's ain't FF without romance.

FFI-III aren't real FFs, news at eleventeen.

John Harker said:

My memory is vague on exact details but the general ending is....

There's one kid that holds out on going back till the end. He ends up changing his mind and wants to go back to their original world and they do. I know that the girl doesn't want to return either but she comes around, then they have to convince the other kid to go back there's a kid in a wheelchair too but that's the main chars brother i think. It's all jumbled lol.

I of course could be thinking of a totally different game but i think this is right. Played through this once and never touched it again, think it had to do with placing the cities in certain locations to get certain items and i didn't feel like picking and choosing :lol

Saoh

John Harker said:

the kids realize that Ivalice is a reflexion of their dreams, their "perfect wold", but they come accept reality and chose to live in the real world, didnt matter how painful it was. and Ritz stopped dying her hair of pink.

Defuser

michael000 said:
My memory is vague on exact details but the general ending is....

The wheelchair kid changes his mind and wants to go back to their original world and they do

I of course could be thinking of a totally different game but i think this is right. Played through this once and never touched it again, think it had to do with placing the cities in certain locations to get certain items and i didn't feel like picking and choosing :lol
For some reason i despise th archer class,they always seem to miss and do little damage.

explodet

It's a good thing FFT PSP is a) an extremely popular Square title b) a game with some new content.

Imagine if SCEA had to reject a translation for US markets because of the precedence they set with Tales of Eternia/Tales of Phantasia/Disgaea/Riviera/Breath of Fire 3 on the PSP. :lol

I'm dissapointed and first let me explain myself before quoting...:)

1) Square-Enix goes again for a PSP port at full price instead of what should be an awesome addition to the PS Store for a nice price.

2) Square-Enix goes again with FF and DQ announcements. Nothing else, nothing more. I wonder how many years will take Square-Enix to create a new ip...

3) Square-Enix continues ignoring next-gen consoles (and I count Wii in that group). Yeah, FF13 compilation plus 1 FF and 1 DQ spinoffs for Wii. THATS ALL they can do? Seriously, what a waste...

Having that said, I'm interested in FFT PSP because I didn't play the original (didn't reach PAL lands as usual though). More PSP support but the usual port one, mmmhmmm.

FFTA2 sounds complicated, Advance 2 would be bad...maybe DS it can save it. I hope its either DS or PSP.

Don't know what to do about PSP, after DQIX I thought PSP was going to wait quite a lot, now with FFT, I still think the same but at least there is one more PSP game that I'm looking forward to.

As for what was wrong with FFTA:

* The story sucked (I think everyone can agree with this. It did honestly have potential but it failed to even hint at realizing it.)
* Compared to FFT, was missing some key elements of complexity (most importantly, charge times)
* The broken class/skill abilities aren't interesting, since most let you 1-shot KO or disable badguys just by walking up to them/aiming at them.
* Too easy the whole way through (as opposed to FFT, which is only too easy for the last 1/2 of the game.)
* Nobody liked the FF9 skill learning system in that game and it's more annoying in FFTA due to managing a full party (plus, some key abilities are missable/unreasonably hard to get).
* Laws are executed in a bad way, which makes everyone sick of them -- you can always avoid whatever bad law you don't want, but it's annoying as hell to go into a battle, notice the terrible law, and have to reset and walk around to change it....

People saying it's shit are really overreacting though. It's definitely a solid portable SRPG, it's got some good maps, the law system is occasionally fun, and before you get to the broken end-game combos the class system is actually interesting -- it does a lot to make hybrid classes like Paladin and Bishop worthwhile choices, which I appreciated. Plus, it has blue magic (and a pretty good iteration of it to boot) which automatically gets it +10 points in my book (WHY DID YOU LEAVE BLUE MAGIC OUT OF XII MATSUNO).

Certainly there's nothing about it that can't be reimagined into a vastly superior sequel. I'd prefer it if they broke away from Ivalice so that whoever directed the followup (a) had freedom to really go crazy with storyline and setting and more importantly (b) so that they wouldn't be spitting on Matsuno's grave, but I'm still willing to give it a shot.

EDIT: The ending of FFTA is
fake-Ramza forces his little brother to be a cripple again because he's a whiny bitch

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I'm dissapointed and first let me explain myself before quoting...:)

1) Square-Enix goes again for a PSP port at full price instead of what should be an awesome addition to the PS Store for a nice price.

2) Square-Enix goes again with FF and DQ announcements. Nothing else, nothing more. I wonder how many years will take Square-Enix to create a new ip...

3) Square-Enix continues ignoring next-gen consoles (and I count Wii in that group). Yeah, FF13 compilation plus 1 FF and 1 DQ spinoffs for Wii. THATS ALL they can do? Seriously, what a waste...

All these FF games are basically completely different games anyway though so it doesn't matter to me (CC and Tactics =/= real FF). Also, IAWW says hello.

Defuser said:
For some reason i despise th archer class,they always seem to miss and do little damage.

Damn you, your quote screwed up my stealth edit :lol. Do remember them being one of the worst melee classes, pretty sure i just used mages for my ranged attacks heh.

For the life of me figure out why this game is pulling such a blank for me, can't have been more than 4 years ago that i played it.

ElyrionX

duckroll said:
You're not convinced by Jump scans?

There's only one scan so far and I don't see PSP mentioned anywhere.

While I would have preferred a DS port but PSP would do just fine. It only means that I get an excuse to pick up another piece of hardware.

reminder

ElyrionX said:
There's only one scan so far and I don't see PSP mentioned anywhere.

While I would have preferred a DS port but PSP would do just fine. It only means that I get an excuse to pick up another piece of hardware.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Haha, well thanks for all the ending synopsi.

Translation: I'm glad I didn't bother to finish it, haha

explodet said:
It's a good thing FFT PSP is a) an extremely popular Square title b) a game with some new content.

Imagine if SCEA had to reject a translation for US markets because of the precedence they set with Tales of Eternia/Tales of Phantasia/Disgaea/Riviera/Breath of Fire 3 on the PSP. :lol
SCEA won't reject it, just because it's published my Square Enix. Valkyrie Profile Lenneth had less improvements than Suikoden I & II for PSP, and SCEA let that game come.

SCEA wants to keep Square Enix happy.

duckroll

Mana Knight said:
SCEA won't reject it, just because it's published my Square Enix. Valkyrie Profile Lenneth had less improvements than Suikoden I & II for PSP, and SCEA let that game come.

SCEA wants to keep Square Enix happy.

All they have to do is get Alexander O Smith to retranslate FFT and it would be MORE than 30% of new content! :D

Top Bottom