• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 (PSP) - Brand new direct feed pics

TheChillyAcademic said:
Firstly:

This will always be Agito, Type 0 (Reishiki or whatever) is a god awful blight of a name!

Secondly:

Is that a Tonberry?!!?

jA6aP.jpg

Yeah that character apparently has one follow him around, I don't know much else as I can't read the Famitsu article.

The game looks pretty cool from what I have seen. I absolutely loved Crisis Core, and am getting CC vibes on this one. Day 1 for me and hyped as hell. This game is just another reason for me to cherish my PSP.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I liked Crisis Core a lot too. So, the battle system is a hybrid of Ys Seven and Crisis Core, or is it more like Crisis Core?

Either way, I can't wait for this. I might import this. Unless Square-Enix is just going to release it 2-3 months after the Japanese release.

Looks fabulous, I just need a release date please :)
The Japanese -> English releases have been really quite close for a lot of SE's PSP titles lately, so hopefully we can get this in the autumn time as opposed to a winter release (which surely will be the time for NGP no?)

faridmon

I hated Crisis Core, Hopefully this is miles better than that. The screens loos great, but again, so did Crisis Core...

BlazingDarkness said:
Looks fabulous, I just need a release date please :)
The Japanese -> English releases have been really quite close for a lot of SE's PSP titles lately, so hopefully we can get this in the autumn time as opposed to a winter release (which surely will be the time for NGP no?)
"summer" in Japan, no word elsewhere yet. I'd expect a pretty quick localization though, PSP's not getting any younger.

And yeah, it looks rather jaw dropping. Definitely my most anticipated of the FNC titles.

duckroll

Fimbulvetr said:
So if Suzaku is magic, Byakko is tech, and Genbu is physical prowess, what does that leave Seiryuu?

"They live in the sky, I guess" doesn't count. :p

Based on the trailer from Jan, I'm going to say there's a very strong possibility that the people of Seiryuu are dragon riders or some sort of beast masters. You see airships and huge armies when they show Milites, you see summons and magic shields when they show Rubrum. The only times you see Seiryuu, there are real dragons with human riders on them, and when they show Genbu it's a 300 style Spartan army training in thick armor.

Lain

Too much talk about Crisis Core. I really disliked Crisis Core's gameplay style with the random crap, so I definitely hope this won't play anything like Crisis Core.

Lain said:
Too much talk about Crisis Core. I really disliked Crisis Core's gameplay style with the random crap, so I definitely hope this won't play anything like Crisis Core.

I don't mind if it plays like Crisis Core, I actually liked how it played. I just hope there wont be any random encounters in this game.

.JayZii

Banned
Was it ever clarified whether or not we will play as a small set group of characters for the entirety of the game or periodically switching party members? If the trailers are to be believed this Class Zero has quite a few students with unique fighting specialties.

branny

Yeah, I'm really excited for this game but the less like Crisis Core, the better. Crisis Core is one of the few Square Enix games I absolutely could not stand on any level whatsoever. :(

duckroll

.JayZii said:
Was it ever clarified whether or not we will play as a small set group of characters for the entirety of the game or periodically switching party members? If the trailers are to be believed this Class Zero has quite a few students with unique fighting specialties.

There are 12 playable characters in Class Zero. You can form a party of 3 characters using any of the 12 characters. Each have different weapons and abilities, so you basically want to create a mix of abilities which can suit different situations in a battle, so you can change between the party members in battle to fit the enemies you're fighting.

The characters who are not in the active party act as reserve reinforcements. There is a number at the bottom of the screen showing how many characters are left, so they act as lives. During a mission, when party members die, the slots get filled by the reserves, until you completely run out of characters. If the entire team dies, the game is over.

There are also two playable characters who are not a part of Class Zero - Machina and Rem. They're the "other main characters" of the story, and it is suggested that they act as the narrators of the story in the sense that they're the ones observing the events from an impartial viewpoint (historically?). It is not known yet how they fit in the gameplay, or whether they will always be available as party members.

duckroll said:
There are 12 playable characters in Class Zero. You can form a party of 3 characters using any of the 12 characters. Each have different weapons and abilities, so you basically want to create a mix of abilities which can suit different situations in a battle, so you can change between the party members in battle to fit the enemies you're fighting.

The characters who are not in the active party act as reserve reinforcements. There is a number at the bottom of the screen showing how many characters are left, so they act as lives. During a mission, when party members die, the slots get filled by the reserves, until you completely run out of characters. If the entire team dies, the game is over.

There are also two playable characters who are not a part of Class Zero - Machina and Rem. They're the "other main characters" of the story, and it is suggested that they act as the narrators of the story in the sense that they're the ones observing the events from an impartial viewpoint (historically?). It is not known yet how they fit in the gameplay, or whether they will always be available as party members.

Is there a 'main' character storywise from the playable characters? The guy with the cards seems to have had the most screen time from trailers etc so I'm guessing if there is it's him?

duckroll

BlazingDarkness said:
Is there a 'main' character storywise from the playable characters? The guy with the cards seems to have had the most screen time from trailers etc so I'm guessing if there is it's him?

Officially? No. The intention of the story is that the entire class itself is the main character of the story in terms of being the major force of chance in the storyline. Machina and Rem are main characters from the perspective of them telling the story of Class Zero. At least that's how I understand it. Ace is obviously positioned as the "leader" of Class Zero based on his placement on the artwork, the posters, and so on, but the director has said repeatedly that the story's focus will not be character-centric, but event-centric.

duckroll said:
Based on the trailer from Jan, I'm going to say there's a very strong possibility that the people of Seiryuu are dragon riders or some sort of beast masters. The only times you see Seiryuu, there are real dragons with human riders on them.

Yeah, that makes sense.

zoner said:
I know who I'm using

Who?

Because the instructor and Tonberry haven't been confirmed as playable, and the only playable characters who don't have card based names are Machina and Rem.

duckroll

Fimbulvetr said:
Because the instructor and Tonberry haven't been confirmed as playable, and the only playable characters who don't have card based names are Machina and Rem.

Kurasame is not playable.

Clott

In that case of many lives I hope they adjust the difficulty accordingly. My problem with crisis core was that the only difficulty came from really huge HP bars, it basically needed more strategy.

Clott said:
In that case of many lives I hope they adjust the difficulty accordingly. My problem with crisis core was that the only difficulty came from really huge HP bars, it basically needed more strategy.

Yeah I was just going to post about this. If there is a new game+ with a higher difficulty that would be excellent.

duckroll said:
Officially? No. The intention of the story is that the entire class itself is the main character of the story in terms of being the major force of chance in the storyline. Machina and Rem are main characters from the perspective of them telling the story of Class Zero. At least that's how I understand it. Ace is obviously positioned as the "leader" of Class Zero based on his placement on the artwork, the posters, and so on, but the director has said repeatedly that the story's focus will not be character-centric, but event-centric.
I see, thanks
Interesting direction

Kuran said:
Are people finally starting to realize it? There have been PSP games with this level of graphics for a while now... check out Peace Walker, Monster Hunter, Kingdom Hearts, Parasite Eve, Tekken 6, Crisis Core, ...

made me smile. there's a reason it's been my go-to console this gen...

jiggle

looks good
still not super excited yet, don't know why
but getting there

also can't decide if i like the fact that everyone is in the same uniform

duckroll

Clott said:

Type-0 is going to be a pretty hardcore action RPG based on what they've been saying about the development process of the game. The director and several key team members worked on The 3rd Birthday while developing Type-0, and with T3B they tried to make a very challenging action game where evasion, positioning, weapon types, weakpoints, etc really matter. They weren't sure if it would be well received, but comments were really favorable from most people who played it, so the director is pretty confident that he can make a challenging game out of Type-0 without frustrating gamers.

The main design objectives for the combat in Type-0 are:

a) An extremely fast ATB (invisible probably) based system, similar to FFX-2 and Crisis Core's system of interrupts, charge time, cool down animations, etc, but fused with a 3 person party.

b) Lots of action based mechanics, including evasion, use of the environment to gain an advantage (hiding in cover, height and range, etc), timing combos with different attacks, etc. The director also mentions that using range spells in the game would be similar to a third person shooter like T3B, in the sense that they have different behaviors based on input - weak rapid-fire shots, or holding down the button to charge for a stronger blast, etc. How the projectiles move is also determined by the environment and your placing, since you can destroy stuff in the environment, but enemies can also hide behind walls, and so on.

c) Nomura as the creative producer has specifically requested that the environments in the game be as complex as possible, especially in the battle areas. He does not want the game to feel like a flat environment where you just run around and kill enemies. Instead there should be detailed destructible parts of the environment, complex geometry including stairs, various vertical and horizontal stages creating a true 3D feel in movement and placement of enemies and objects, etc.

Also, it should be noted that the recent articles in Jump, Dengeki, and Famitsu all mention that the battles are meant to be strategic as different enemies with have weaknesses and vulnerabilities to different sort of attacks, so switching between the 3 characters in the active party to best fit the enemies you're facing is important.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Because the PSP market is huge and the NGP market isn't. Square has the choice between releasing a game on one of the most successful platforms (in Japan) of the past decade, or on a completely unknown platform. What would you do?

As you yourself acknowledge, the PSP market is only "huge" in Japan. But FF isn't Monster Hunter; it's been an international series for 14 years now. If Square is serious about making this the start of a new FF sub-series, it'd be incredibly foolish to only do a retail release on a platform that's only viable in one territory. I certainly hope they have enough sense to do a high-res NGP cart release for this one.

duckroll

Father_Brain said:
As you yourself acknowledge, the PSP market is only "huge" in Japan. But FF isn't Monster Hunter; it's been an international series for 14 years now. If Square is serious about making this the start of a new FF sub-series, it'd be incredibly foolish to only do a retail release on a platform that's only viable in one territory. I certainly hope they have enough sense to do a high-res NGP cart release for this one.

This is an assumption that the PSP2 is going to somehow magically do really well outside of Japan this time, and that the masses and the retailers who have basically shat on the PSP for half of this generation in US and Europe will suddenly find some reason to want to embrace the successor system.

That's one hellavu assumption. Lulz.

Go_Ly_Dow

IonicSnake said:
I don't mind if it plays like Crisis Core, I actually liked how it played. I just hope there wont be any random encounters in this game.

Well from the glimpse of the worldmap footage we've seen it seems like enemies are visible on the field.

Same will probably apply to the non worldmap environments.

Boerseun

Banned
This is the kind of game Nintendo should have moneyhatted to have on Wii.

I'm not port-begging, mind you. Just saying all PSP development is subsidised to a certain extent by Sony. Nintendo could have benefitted immensely from a similar approach with Wii.

FoneBone

duckroll said:
This is an assumption that the PSP2 is going to somehow magically do really well outside of Japan this time, and that the masses and the retailers who have basically shat on the PSP for half of this generation in US and Europe will suddenly find some reason to want to embrace the successor system.

That's one hellavu assumption. Lulz.
Knowing Father_Brain (personally), I don't think that he's assuming that, but it'd have more of a chance than a PSP game at this point. A 3DS port would really make more sense IMO, but that seems unlikely due to capacity issues.

Lain

IonicSnake said:

I just hated the slot machine gameplay (and running around the same damned locations over and over).

duckroll

FoneBone said:
Knowing Father_Brain (personally), I don't think that he's assuming that, but it'd have more of a chance than a PSP game at this point. A 3DS port would really make more sense IMO, but that seems unlikely due to capacity issues.

Honestly, I think their best shot would be to release Type-0 on as many portable platforms as they can, just because of the insane investment they must have made on the title so far. PSP2, 3DS, iPhone, iPad, Android. Anything which can run it, should eventually get it, if they want to profit from the title. If it's a good game, it wouldn't hurt to milk a little when it's intended as a springboard for a new spinoff series for FF anyway.

Capacity shouldn't be an issue either. Mobile platforms could get the game split into parts, both the PSP2 and the 3DS have larger storage mediums than the PSP.

Lain said:
I just hated the slot machine gameplay (and running around the same damned locations over and over).

The slot mechanic is not in Type-0 in any form.

M_Night said:
Well from the glimpse of the worldmap footage we've seen it seems like enemies are visible on the field.

Same will probably apply to the non worldmap environments.

There should be no random encounters in the game. Missions should have pre-set enemy placements and patterns like a normal action game stage. Encounters on the world map are visible and can be avoided.

duckroll said:
Type-0 is going to be a pretty hardcore action RPG based on what they've been saying about the development process of the game. The director and several key team members worked on The 3rd Birthday while developing Type-0, and with T3B they tried to make a very challenging action game where evasion, positioning, weapon types, weakpoints, etc really matter. They weren't sure if it would be well received, but comments were really favorable from most people who played it, so the director is pretty confident that he can make a challenging game out of Type-0 without frustrating gamers.

The main design objectives for the combat in Type-0 are:

a) An extremely fast ATB (invisible probably) based system, similar to FFX-2 and Crisis Core's system of interrupts, charge time, cool down animations, etc, but fused with a 3 person party.

b) Lots of action based mechanics, including evasion, use of the environment to gain an advantage (hiding in cover, height and range, etc), timing combos with different attacks, etc. The director also mentions that using range spells in the game would be similar to a third person shooter like T3B, in the sense that they have different behaviors based on input - weak rapid-fire shots, or holding down the button to charge for a stronger blast, etc. How the projectiles move is also determined by the environment and your placing, since you can destroy stuff in the environment, but enemies can also hide behind walls, and so on.

c) Nomura as the creative producer has specifically requested that the environments in the game be as complex as possible, especially in the battle areas. He does not want the game to feel like a flat environment where you just run around and kill enemies. Instead there should be detailed destructible parts of the environment, complex geometry including stairs, various vertical and horizontal stages creating a true 3D feel in movement and placement of enemies and objects, etc.

Also, it should be noted that the recent articles in Jump, Dengeki, and Famitsu all mention that the battles are meant to be strategic as different enemies with have weaknesses and vulnerabilities to different sort of attacks, so switching between the 3 characters in the active party to best fit the enemies you're facing is important.

That is very encouraging to read. Hype +1.

Any word on the customization available to the characters? since there are so many playable characters, I imagine it won't be much but it would be nice if there is some anyways.

duckroll

perfectnight said:
Any word on the customization available to the characters? since there are so many playable characters, I imagine it won't be much but it would be nice if there is some anyways.

I don't know anything about the customization systems or how abilities, equipment, and leveling is handled in the game. Those details haven't really been touched on yet, so it should be covered in future previews of the game.

Aeana

I think at one point, it was said that the summons are tied in with progression, but that could be outdated information.

duckroll said:

This is the same man who caused KH2 to happen?

Top Bottom