• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII PC re-release. SE Store Exclusive - Out now, Internet required

In the old days, losing the source files for games wasn't terribly uncommon.
Granted, the fact that it happened for VII is a little jarring, but a little understandable.

The main basis for that is once the game's released, they typically don't have much use for it and unless the game ran into some major issues (re: game-breaking bugs and such), there's not a lot of point in keeping it.
On top of that, even if they did lose it, it'd have little impact on the company (with the exception of what I mentioned above).

Kinda crappy, but it happens.

Though I'd argue that keeping the Source Code is pretty important, just for various reasons and such.
(In the case of downloadable games and those in development, you absolutely WANT to keep it.)

yeah, i don't mean to paint square as completely useless or anything, as you said it was pretty common. it's such a shame that it happened to games that would continue to be released in various forms, stopping them from getting ports/rereleases that are anything more than a bit slapdash. i assume companies are a lot more hesitant to discard assists & such now due to how profitable future rereleases are?

Yaska

Well. I still can't download the game, getting blank screens. Square support told me to just wait it out...

kinda bummed about the quality of this release, how hard is it to get a decent download system to work?

yeah, i don't mean to paint square as completely useless or anything, as you said it was pretty common. it's such a shame that it happened to games that would continue to be released in various forms, stopping them from getting ports/rereleases that are anything more than a bit slapdash. i assume companies are a lot more hesitant to discard assists & such now due to how profitable future rereleases are?

I suspect it has at least as much to do with cheap storage media than anything. Even Pixar nearly lost all of Toy Story 2 due to their crappy backup methods back then.

mattp

its all so frustrating because, while im against remakes of stuff 90% of the time. ESPECIALLY ff7, cuz square is terrible now but
i've always secretly wished square still had all the source files for the environments so when more powerful hardware was out(like now), they could just do a straight port of ff7. nothing redone. but instead of the prerendered backgrounds, they could just use the assets in real time. so all the environments would be identical, they could lock the camera angels all in the same exact spots. but then have an option to switch the camera to behind the back 3rd person mode

a man can dream...

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wow, so even FF7 is a victim of dummies losing the source code? Most of the instances of that that you hear about were Saturn games, which is understandable since Sega was retarded, but for whatever reason, it's a little weird to hear that Square would be that stupid with FF7 of all things. Well, if nothing else it's kinda interesting.

I wonder how much better developers were about this in say... the PS2 era.

Wow, so even FF7 is a victim of dummies losing the source code? Most of the instances of that that you hear about were Saturn games, which is understandable since Sega was retarded, but for whatever reason, it's a little weird to hear that Square would be that stupid with FF7 of all things. Well, if nothing else it's kinda interesting.

I wonder how much better developers were about this in say... the PS2 era.

I don't think we know for certain if SE has the source code for FF7. This port doesn't tell you anything, they weren't going to put that sort of effort in for a budget PC port even if they had all of the source code and assets.

I don't think we know for certain if SE has the source code for FF7. This port doesn't tell you anything, they weren't going to put that sort of effort in for a budget PC port even if they had all of the source code and assets.

they had to use the playstation's compressed, low resolution assets for the original pc port, they definitely don't have them any more.

Redx508

So I was playing with a NA account when i got the game. When i made a new account the non NA one to fix the random name you cant get your old save back at all copying save00.ff7 to the new profile folder wont work any fix?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Honestly, the game really only looks decent on a low resolution CRT at this point. The 320x240 backgrounds still hold up reasonably well on such a display, but they look awful on higher resolution displays.

This game has weird controls. I'm using a 360 pad but I can't customize it because the in-game menu only shows the keyboard controls. I don't know what most of the buttons do. And when I name characters it deletes the last letter when I select the name - I fucked up naming Tifa. So in the naming screen, the delete button is the SAME as the select button. Help me customize this.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
And I'll miss another stream-time with Corran :(

Stream starting
http://www.twitch.tv/corran666

Another day of Disc 2. 2-3 hours only so far today. maybe more tonight.

Awesome.

BTW, I was thinking... the entire second disc after the Northern Crater was complete shit, it was like a fanfic.

Ideally, the length of the first disc should have taken place in a fully-developed Midgar, then the second disc should have been what the rest of the first disc was, and the third disc should have been the Northern Crater, get the ship for mini-quests, and then the final boss. That would have been better than just revisiting all the old places for 4 10 minutes quests.

they had to use the playstation's compressed, low resolution assets for the original pc port, they definitely don't have them any more.
That says nothing about whether they have the source code. The fact that they were able to add cloud saves suggests they have the source code. The low resolution assets suggests they lost the original source material for the assets.

Has anyone had the problem where you get choco/mog where the chocobos won't stop dancing? I've been waiting for 3 minutes for them to give up the materia and it won't stop.

Psy-Phi

That says nothing about whether they have the source code. The fact that they were able to add cloud saves suggests they have the source code. The low resolution assets suggests they lost the original source material for the assets.

Isn't it possible they created this with some emulation, and the 'cloud saves' are nothing more than the same kinds of plugins we get with emulators. It even has the delay for recognizing the "memory card" that I recall. It's actually annoying as hell when I want to save and have to wait for the server to sync up.

Honestly, I think if they could unpack the game files, it would be a snap to replace them with at least carefully modified/blurred assets to get rid of the pixelized look(similar to how the movies look would be quite nice honestly). And I still think, given a year, a few artists could come up with replacement backgrounds that appear to be higher resolution versions. Problem is, what res would they choose as the 'original' and then how it looks scaled down vs up, or blown up even more for 4k displays if it's only a 1080p asset.

Stupid 2D Backgrounds.

Has anyone had the problem where you get choco/mog where the chocobos won't stop dancing? I've been waiting for 3 minutes for them to give up the materia and it won't stop.

Are you by chance using a music mod? Sounds like it's possibly a loop problem?

Isn't it possible they created this with some emulation, and the 'cloud saves' are nothing more than the same kinds of plugins we get with emulators. It even has the delay for recognizing the "memory card" that I recall. It's actually annoying as hell when I want to save and have to wait for the server to sync up.

Honestly, I think if they could unpack the game files, it would be a snap to replace them with at least carefully modified/blurred assets to get rid of the pixelized look(similar to how the movies look would be quite nice honestly). And I still think, given a year, a few artists could come up with replacement backgrounds that appear to be higher resolution versions. Problem is, what res would they choose as the 'original' and then how it looks scaled down vs up, or blown up even more for 4k displays if it's only a 1080p asset.

Stupid 2D Backgrounds.

Yes, yes I am. Thanks for the tip!

Psy-Phi

Yes, yes I am. Thanks for the tip!

Did you try replacing it with the original music and see if you can get through the scene. If you can get through it, let us know which mod you downloaded. It may not be a loop problem, but it sounds like it may be (similar to the crashing problem when sleeping in the inn so many pages ago), if the game relies on the end of the song coming up and it just loops when it shouldn't for example?

jbueno

I´ve been meaning to replay this again since it has been 12 years since I´ve last gone through it, perhaps next September after a Licensing Exam I´m taking. I still have my original PC and PS1 discs around, I might give it a go on PS1 on a lovely NEC XM29 CRT I´m getting from a friend.

Did you try replacing it with the original music and see if you can get through the scene. If you can get through it, let us know which mod you downloaded. It may not be a loop problem, but it sounds like it may be (similar to the crashing problem when sleeping in the inn so many pages ago), if the game relies on the end of the song coming up and it just loops when it shouldn't for example?

Replacing it with the original fixed the problem.

DeVeAn

So I was playing with a NA account when i got the game. When i made a new account the non NA one to fix the random name you cant get your old save back at all copying save00.ff7 to the new profile folder wont work any fix?

So thats why it has that random name. You would think it would be better to link accounts. Ugh Cloud saves sucks here because it causes headaches.

Also I got Aeris last limit break but, never got to equip it. Am I boned?

Whogie

Replacing that file isn't enough since there's other problematic files. Get the new patch a few pages back. I'm on a phone, atm, so it'd be tough to link.

DeVeAn

Damnit saves won't sync but I have Internet. What happens now?

EDIT: I think I am doing it wrong. So worried about missing items and materia that I am overwhelmed. Taking a break from this game lol.

Mindman

Stupid 2D Backgrounds.

Would it be possible for US to extract those backgrounds and smooth them out?

Nice avatar, bro. Hah.

I just replayed FF7 recently, guys. I doubt I'll play it again for years. Remake, maybe!

Sordid

Glad the servers are borked and I cant sync up my saves online...thanks square! -.-

Ugh, this was happening to me too. I tried to save 4 or 5 times and it failed after a few minutes each time :/ it eventually synced and let me save but it's just as well I wasn't in a rush to switch it off!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I never had any issues with anything. The perfect port imo.

Yaska

And good luck to anyone trying to contact them. No easy way to get ant tech support.

I got fairly fast answers from the EU support team, even though they really didn't read my messages :p But then again I was demanding for a refund because I couldn't download the damn game hehe.

DeVeAn

I got fairly fast answers from the EU support team, even though they really didn't read my messages :p But then again I was demanding for a refund because I couldn't download the damn game hehe.

I just had to jump through loops to get the option to send an email.

Yoshichan

Back to streaming again here in a min.
http://www.twitch.tv/corran666

Mostly more chocobo breeding as last night I was literally only getting Males for my green/blue....sigh. So alot of reseting! -.-
I didn't watch your stream yesterday, but make sure to fight a battle everytime you reset~ That way, you're completely rng'ing the numbers.

Any useful materia builds for Tifa and Barret? I'm early in the game (
section 7 collapsed
and they don't feel as versatile as Cloud. He's got all the offensive spells and the rest have all the rest, lol.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
lol get gold chocobo and now saves wont sync again. weeeee thx square.

Taking a 1-2 hour break then will be back with some more stream action. Probably do a bit more story (going into space etc).

Lol realized I missed Ramuh....so no 100% for me. Guess that will save me some time.

Top Bottom