• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VIII 15th Anniversary Thread

Egida

Neo Member
Oh my gosh, I was listening "Eyes on Me" on youtube and this thread pop up. That's the kind of magic you could feel in this game.

Last time I replayed it was on Vita and I have to say, it holds perfectly. Loved it.

It would always be below VI and IX in my heart, but that, it's not something to be ashamed at all.

kromeo

The first 2 disks (apart from the scene that shall not be named) are the peak of gaming as far as I'm concerned

I don't like Esthar and space quite as much but it's still great

Find your way is the goat FF tune

Neptonic

I haven't beat it yet, but the fucking junction system is my new favorite way of handling magic in like any game
It's so easy to break and I love it

Wazzy

Banned
On the topic of favourite versions of Eyes On Me, Susan Calloway is by far the best. She is the singer for XIV's main themes and did a beautiful cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIrwnwJbFy8

As the executive vice-president of Square Sakaguchi was executive producer on virtually all PS1 Square games. He was executive producer on Chrono Cross too.

In practice he had nothing to do with FFVIII since he was living in the United States and working on TSW and FFIX at the time. Kitase was basically in charge in Tokyo for FFVIII and the game is his, Nojima's and Nomura's brainchild.

I'm not saying Sakaguchi had heavy involvement in VIII but it's incorrect to say he had nothing to do with it. He still was very much in the loop during development.

http://playstationjapan.tripod.com/Sakaguchi.html

http://archive.thegia.com/news/9909/n02a.html
Quote from this artice:
GW: Were you satisfied with the game? Was anything left out for lack of time or space?

HS: Because I was going back and forth to Japan so much, I basically produced the game in two different countries. It was difficult trying to be involved all the time, so I had to let my director make many of the decisions. I'm very satisfied with what was done.

I'm not sure why this interview he says he is Producer when he was credited as Executive but a lot of VIII is CG heavy and I have no doubt that was from Sakaguchi. Either way, we don't really know how far his involvement went but he is credited for VIII therefore he still has involvement, however minor it was.

18 now

poster3.jpg

Scotia

Banned
My favourite game of all time. The characters, the world, the music, the story; all of it perfect. Happy Birthday Final Fantasy VIII!

You guys think they'll ever remake this? It's the series that made took me from a casual Final Fantasy fan to hardcore.

Even if they do a 3 hour CG movie version, I'll be down.

Marakh101

Neo Member
My first FF, finished it in japanese thanks to a Strategy guide, without understanding a word that was on screen.
Eventually finished it multiple times later in English.
I can't believe I was that dedicated to video games when I was 11.

The end of Disc 1 is up there with my favourite moments in gaming. Damn that music and those camera angles. Definition of epicness. I would kill to re-live something like that in any game nowadays.

Thank you for the memories, Squaresoft.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Faye Wong's original will always be the best to me. Calloway's version comes off too strong at points where I feel it should be more subdued. I have the same issue with her rendition of Distant Worlds. She belts out these powerful notes where they should sound melancholic and a touch mysterious. SE's ability to write songs perfect for specific singers really is uncanny.

BasilZero

Played it last year again and had a blast.

Enjoyed it my second run more than my first playthrough which was 10 years ago or so.

Anyways still don't like the junction system and the enemy level scaling was horrific.

Besides that loved the story, setting , cast and music.

Wazzy

Banned
Faye Wong's original will always be the best to me. Calloway's version comes off too strong at points where I feel it should be more subdued. I have the same issue with her rendition of Distant Worlds. She belts out these powerful notes where they should sound melancholic and a touch mysterious. SE's ability to write songs perfect for specific singers really is uncanny.
I love the original but I have to disagree. The orchestrated version is better with Calloways belting since the orchestra is quite powerful.

I think Faye Wong suits the slower Ragnarok version of Eyes On Me better than the ending theme.
That was really nice.

Loved FF8. <3
It's so good. Susan has such a beautiful voice, especially on Dragonsong.

The Engrish lyrics in Faye Wong's original bother me so much >_<

Turin

Banned
Happy B-day.

Guess that impales the Rinoa=Ultimecia theory. Kitase did mention a possible VIII remake but VIII's one of the FF's that'd I'd rather they did a sequel to.

Also, lol @ Kitase being respectful to Nojima about the whole FFX and VII are connected bit. You can tell he doesn't care for that one.

sephiroth7x

Fantastic game.

Gets a lot of stick for the junction system making the game too easy to abuse, but the story, feel and music of the game is 10/10.

Not many games have hit the standard of this one...

Sanjuro

I think officially this game killed my JRPGs for good. A lot of memories and hype, but still have it in the MGS2 pile of what-ifs.

I had false hope back when FF7 Remastered was announced for current gen, that we'd be getting this and IX on PS4 too.

I'll be dusting off the PS1 at some point this autumn to play this and a few others again, but still a woefully overlooked classic.

vato_loco

Man, I was probably about 16 or so when this came out. It completely blew my mind. That Ultimecia Castle was such a bitch to get through, but I loved every second of it.

Zaki2407

It's crazy to think that at the span of 4 years (1997 -2001) we got 4 MAINLINE FF games.
1997 > FF VII
1999 > FF VIII
2000 > FF IX
2001 > FF X

Top Bottom