• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2010 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
TurtleSnatcher said:
I need to lvl my WHM bad.. stuck at 10 ftl. Haha.

I usually keep my subjob a couple of levels ahead the point where I run out of levels when leveling the main job.

Ugh, 10 more levels of WHM for me..

Osaka said:
I usually keep my subjob a couple of levels ahead the point where I run out of levels when leveling the main job.

Ugh, 10 more levels of WHM for me..
Thats what I did.. I got both SMN and WHM to 10.. then I got SMN to 27 in like 2 days.. :lol

Not having Cure II is kicking my ass and I only need 1 lvl for that =[

Jbird34

Thanks to everyone for the ACP help I now have my Elitest hauby (as ploid liked to call it). I am down for Moogle and Shantotto so just let me know when we are going to run them. As for the final ACP figh we cleared it in just over 24mins, the only reason we were faster than the 1st group is I occasionally ran in and WS'd the rock. Great fun and no deaths FTW!

Josh7289

I got the free trial and I'm about to start playing. I have a friend who used to play years ago on Leviathan, but unless I really get into it, he's not coming back. So since I have nowhere else I belong, I might as well play on Fairy with all of you.

Any suggestions on what race and job I should start off with, and what nation?

Also, is Fairy still 'bad'? I remember back in the day hearing that the economy was really messed up and inflated by RMT on Fairy...

Josh7289 said:
I got the free trial and I'm about to start playing. I have a friend who used to play years ago on Leviathan, but unless I really get into it, he's not coming back. So since I have nowhere else I belong, I might as well play on Fairy with all of you.

Any suggestions on what race and job I should start off with, and what nation?

Also, is Fairy still 'bad'? I remember back in the day hearing that the economy was really messed up and inflated by RMT on Fairy...
Fairy is fine.. Trust me the GAF ls is always active.. someone is always on..

Do what you want.. though I probably wouldnt make like a Galka White Mage or something :lol but its all up to you.

I went Hume - I also kinda like Tarus. I did San Doria cuz i like the layout and knew the area from when I first played years ago.

Josh7289

TurtleSnatcher said:
Do what you want.. though I probably wouldnt make like a Galka White Mage or something :lol but its all up to you.
Which is kind of funny, because I was considering doing WHM, but I also wanted to be a Galka.

Josh7289 said:
Which is kind of funny, because I was considering doing WHM, but I also wanted to be a Galka.
Go right ahead..

The downside is that Galka obviously is known for their HP not so much on their minds.. btu that just means you can be a tanking whm! :p

FFXIcopedia is amazing.. Google it :)

Mariner

Josh7289 said:

It's way better now. You heard right though. Around the time CoP came out and just before ToAU was released, Fairy had by far the worst economy of all the servers. It was also the most drama filled. Things are relatively calm now, as far as I can tell.

I'd definitely recommend coming to Fairy and joining the GAF shell. It seems like quite a few people have joined it lately, and so there would be plenty of people to party with. The people are always helpful and friendly.

Josh7289 said:

Tarutaru Warrior was my first job to 75. It's a ton of fun but it is a challenge to do something like that for your first job.

I highly recommend putting off what you may REALLY want to do, like Galka WHM, and do something more fit for a Galka first. It'll make the hard parts (getting your first job to 75 takes a LOT more time and dedication than others) easier, and you'll be able to enjoy something quirky like a Galka WHM more by having more experience and more gil to blow on gear to make that setup work more efficiently.

Updating playonline viewer.

I'm sure I'll have to spend the rest of the week updating FFXI as well. See you guys next week.

FUCK... 16099 files to be downloaded for this update. See you next year.

DoctorWho said:

I'm sure I'll have to spend the rest of the week updating FFXI as well. See you guys next week.

Haha... it snot too bad.

Nakazato

DoctorWho said:

it ill take about 4-7 hours go to sleep wake up and it'll be done :p

sky

pancakesandsex said:
ffxi_2010.01.03_23.42.45.png
I feel dumb for asking, but where was that image from?
One of the mission cutscenes? It's... it's been a while.... T_T

Nakazato said:
it ill take about 4-7 hours go to sleep wake up and it'll be done :p

It looks to be about 9 hours. Also, I thought this would be overwriting files. Instead it seems to be taking up a whole wack more HDD space. I'm already low on HDD space as it is. Eek!

Sallokin

Oh man, reading this is giving me the itch bad. I quit years ago and I was hoping to hold out for XIV. Think I'll have to go grab the complete collection in the next few days. Does anyone still play on Kujata? I know there were a few GAFfers on that server back in the day.

Josh7289

For anyone interested, I started earlier today as a Hume Monk in Bastok on Fairy and got to level 4.

EDIT: "today" used loosely, and meaning Monday in this case.

Teknoman

Just wondering, does anyone ever wear a full set of any of the end game armors or just usually macro in pieces of stuff. Was looking at some of the stuff you can get from Limbus, and im I should just go for the whole set or just a few pieces?

Mariner

Teknoman said:
Just wondering, does anyone ever wear a full set of any of the end game armors or just usually macro in pieces of stuff. Was looking at some of the stuff you can get from Limbus, and im I should just go for the whole set or just a few pieces?

You'll want to have several pieces of armor for many of the gear slots. Very few jobs would be able to get away with wearing an entire set of the same armor, and for the ones that can, it's not optimal. Some jobs don't need to worry about switching out earrings, neck piece, back piece ect. The main slots (hands, feet, body) usually benefit big time by carrying around several pieces for those respective slots. Macroing in gears for weapon skills and other situations is pretty important.

As far as Limbus goes. You probably won't want to get all 5 pieces of your AF+1. At least, I cannot think of a job off the top of my head that had a complete set of really good AF+1. I would recommend getting a Brutal Earring with your coins first. You may even want to get a Loquacious Earring and a Boxer Mantle at some points as well. Mainly depending on what you decide to level next, of course. Brutal Earring adds the double attack trait even when Warrior is not subbed. Very nice when combined with the Suppanomimi from Divine Might.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Teknoman said:
My take on Homam as a PLD is that the hands and legs are incredible, the feet are very good, and the other two pieces pretty much suck.
Also, despite never doing Limbus, I do have Brutal and Boxer's. I was about to pull the trigger on Loquacious, then I stopped using the job for a while. (It would only be for PLD. Brutal was entirely for MNK at the time I got it, but it will see use on NIN, too.) AF+1 for my jobs is really situational, and mostly meh. The only piece that really excites me is the PLD feet. Great piece with shadows down.

Teknoman

Well im really just maining Blu/nin, so anything with plus acc/att or plus str/dex would help. That extra triple attack rate sounded nice, but would that apply even without the base trait?

Also just realized my normal AF hands actually increase the chance of me learning spells, so thats probably lesson one on carrying multiple armors around :lol

EDIT: Oh and late night typos ftw.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I kinda hope that we wont see this mid-combat gear-swap charade in FFXIV. As far as I understood, it's the result of very little stats implemented on a single piece of gear, so you have to re-optimize for each moment.

Osaka said:
I kinda hope that we wont see this mid-combat gear-swap charade in FFXIV. As far as I understood, it's the result of very little stats implemented on a single piece of gear, so you have to re-optimize for each moment.

I kinda like it. It means your old stuff doesn't go completely obsolete once you upgrade, you can still use it for swapping.

We've had the gear swapping debate at length at least one or two times before.

I think they've stated somewhere that, as changing gear changes your "class" (abilities?) in FFXIV you'll only be able to change at certain times outside of battle. Honestly I'm pretty happy about that. I found gear swapping fun in FFXI but I'd rather take a game in which the most effective course of action in battle is not something that greatly hinders immersion for me.

Josh7289 said:
For anyone interested, I started earlier today as a Hume Monk in Bastok on Fairy and got to level 4.

EDIT: "today" used loosely, and meaning Monday in this case.
Hey join the Linkshell..

Message anyone in the OP in "Fairy" when your online - Keep trying as some may not be online but you will eventually find someone.

The best person to send a message too though would be "Ryuho", "Gohne", or "Bloodberry"

Those guys are ALWAYS online :p (Though maybe afk)

Alternative would be "Pancakesandsx"

Ill help ya lvl with my WHM since I need to lvl my WHM anyways.

Teknoman

Osaka said:

Im sure it wont be the same as FFXI, but you'll probably have to change to a blunt, piercing, or slashing weapon depending on what you're attacking...looking at the Pugilist anyway. Wont be mid combat either, since they've already said you cant change armor/weapons while engaged.

I'll still have to get used to it since in most FF games, I sell whatever old armor if the new is even a bit better. I will keep older accessories though.

But yeah, its probably because there arent many specialized sets for certain jobs only, as well as stat distribution.

HappyBivouac said:
We've had the gear swapping debate at length at least one or two times before.

I think they've stated somewhere that, as changing gear changes your "class" (abilities?) in FFXIV you'll only be able to change at certain times outside of battle. Honestly I'm pretty happy about that. I found gear swapping fun in FFXI but I'd rather take a game in which the most effective course of action in battle is not something that greatly hinders immersion for me.

Bolded is basically how I feel about it, but Pan did make a good case for yesterday :D

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
pancakesandsex said:
I kinda like it. It means your old stuff doesn't go completely obsolete once you upgrade, you can still use it for swapping.

That can be achieved without the gameplay style of having to change pants whilst fighting a dragon, though.

"COME ON PANCAKES STAB IT"

"Hold on guys I don't have any pants on yet, I can't get my feet through the trouser legs!"

Osaka said:
That can be achieved without the gameplay style of having to change pants whilst fighting a dragon, though.

"COME ON PANCAKES STAB IT"

"Hold on guys I don't have any pants on yet, I can't get my feet through the trouser legs!"

Fuck that, breakaway pants reveal a fashionable SUBLIGAR.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I never started the quests for NIN AF. The only thing about the set that's at all useful is movement speed, and even that only works occasionally. I don't like to waste other peoples' time.
TurtleSnatcher said:
Thats what I did.. I got both SMN and WHM to 10.. then I got SMN to 27 in like 2 days.. :lol

Not having Cure II is kicking my ass and I only need 1 lvl for that =[
That's why I soloed SMN into the 20's. (This was before the exp adjustments, let alone Fields of Valor) I dropped the job before I got the spell because it didn't look like Carby mitts were going to happen.

Kandinsky

TAJ said:
I never started the quests for NIN AF. The only thing about the set that's at all useful is movement speed, and even that only works occasionally. I don't like to waste other peoples' time.
You are joking right? body is freaking awesome dude.

Narag

Ugh, there's a chance the guy that was watching my account for dualboxing while I was away from the game may have sold my ebow. I feel ill. :(

Got my WHM to 11 thanks to Ash and Hgplayer haha..

Now I will wait to see if anyone does dunes in the next week to lvl my WHM up any higher..

Any XP pt tonight? Would love to start one early and go very late.

hgplayer1

I finally broke the latent on my scythe trial weapon.

Now I just need to fight the NM if anyone is around tonight and wouldnt mind helping :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom