• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I find the characters in this game more intriguing than most any other jrpg.

Fran, Balthier, Gabranth, Cid (the best), Zecht, Vayne, Larsa, all great characters. Ashe, Penelo and Vaan are meh but so many good characters and a passable plot.

Bastos

About 70% into the game. Earlier if you delve into all the optional area. Like all Final Fantasy the main story pose no serious challenge at all. You'll have to wait until optionnal Espers and super bosses to be challenged.
Good to know, then. Thanks! :)

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I have my party at lvl 16~19 and I'm getting near Tomb of Raithwall. I only have Vaan with a Gladius.

Am I breaking the game? :C I thought it was fine using the Gladius because my party was already wrecking every mob with two hits. Does it get harder later?

I don't plan to use the op weapons like Seitengrat or Karkata anytime soon, if ever, but I don't want to break the game, it's really been easy so far. Is there a moment where these weapons are not op and start becoming "normal"?
Honestly the game is borderline broken already without any special effort. But seitengrat is super broken and will never be balanced. That is not a normal weapon, and there is no part of the game that was balanced around you having a weapon that powerful.

Atlantis

I have my party at lvl 16~19 and I'm getting near Tomb of Raithwall. I only have Vaan with a Gladius.

Am I breaking the game? :C I thought it was fine using the Gladius because my party was already wrecking every mob with two hits. Does it get harder later?

I don't plan to use the op weapons like Seitengrat or Karkata anytime soon, if ever, but I don't want to break the game, it's really been easy so far. Is there a moment where these weapons are not op and start becoming "normal"?

The storyline bosses aren't really going to pose a challenge anyway. The Gladius is only really powerful because of how early its available and how easy it is to get. Things like the Seitengrat are just always broken. Without guides and RNG manipulation most players wouldn't even know it exists let alone receive one.

Hunts and optional fights are where the good stuff is. They're a lot of fun, even the beginning ones, but they can be out leveled and out equipped in time so I'd recommend doing them sooner than later.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ruining a great game for the sake of that :(

I hope it's not your first playthrough at least
What if this is the way he enjoys his games..

Ludens

Banned
How can you get the Seitengrat and Gladius before Belias?
I'm asking because I just completed the tomb getting the (first) esper.

Lethal

Neo Member
I wish I hadn't played the modded izjs ps2 version all those years ago. Game still feels fresh and awesome though. Such a huge, interesting world

you can't get a potion from both and i just loaded up trial mode twice and got the diamond armlet from the same chest

I'm getting a potion from the one the armlet is supposed to be in and something like a remedy from the other one. I have a diamond armlet in my inventory but no one has it equipped, does that make a difference?

Trial is so good for farming lp. Still haven't managed to grab a karkata tho

Fisty

Woof. Great Crystal revisit is pain in the ass confusing, but finally got all that sweet loot. Hastega, Shellga, Yagyu, Staff of the Magi, Excalibur, and a sweet new Esper!

shark sandwich

Traps are the absolute worst game mechanic. Easily the worst thing about this game.
Yeah I don't even know what they are supposed to do aside from beinga pain in your ass. There is no way to disarm them, and no way to instruct your party members to avoid them aside from slipping past and praying to Odin that they follow your path closely enough.

I also thought the "50% chance a chest will have Gil instead of an item" thing. So not only are nearly all of the random chests useless (gee thanks for the hi potion in the last dungeon in the game), but now you don't even know if you're missing out on something worth getting.

Yeah I don't even know what they are supposed to do aside from beinga pain in your ass. There is no way to disarm them, and no way to instruct your party members to avoid them aside from slipping past and praying to Odin that they follow your path closely enough.

Or you can just cast Float to, you know, hover over them.

Aeana

Yeah I don't even know what they are supposed to do aside from beinga pain in your ass.

Well, yes, that is the point. That's why they're called traps.
You can float over them, and you can also remove members from your party so you're just one character and slip by easily.

It's frustrating that the FF games after this also didn't give u simultaneous party control but removed Gambits. 13 adding job switching that kind of led your party, and 13-2 let you adjust those paradigms slightly, but man... Gambits just outclass that so hard. 15 is especially bad with literally no party control and your party just walks into danger and dies constantly.

It's frustrating that the FF games after this also didn't give u simultaneous party control but removed Gambits. 13 adding job switching that kind of led your party, and 13-2 let you adjust those paradigms slightly, but man... Gambits just outclass that so hard. 15 is especially bad with literally no party control and your party just walks into danger and dies constantly.

I don't understand why going from 12 to 13, the biggest strengths of this game were just thrown away. Compared to 13 it easily has a superior battle system and world design. I mean just look at how many towns / NPCs / side quests this game has and how well designed the zones are and then how completely terrible 13 is in those areas...

I know it's a separate team working on each game, but it's disheartening to think that the section of fans who hated 12 were outspoken enough to prevent its strongest aspects from being carried into future games.

Zesh

Damn. Every piece? I don't have him unlocked yet, plus my level is only in the high 30's to low 40's.

Yeah, you have to steal from both the first and second encounters to get everything. Your level is high enough for the first fight, so it's just a matter of progressing enough in the story to unlock the hunt.

You can also get the gloves from the Hunt Club sidequest and from trial 100. Not sure if other pieces can be obtained from trial mode, but if they can, they're probably from the last few trials, which are essentially end-game content anyway.

h3ro

So I'm still tinkering with my team build and am now leaning towards this set up:

Vaan - Shikari/Foebreaker
Ashe - Knight/Time Mage
Basch - Bushi/Monk
Balthier - Machinist/White Mage
Penelo - Black Mage/Uhlan
Fran - Archer/Red Mage

What do you guys think? Is there anything I'd be messing up or missing out on with this configuration?

shark sandwich

So I'm still tinkering with my team build and am now leaning towards this set up:

Ashe - Knight/Time Mage
Basch - Bushi/Monk
Fran - Archer/Red Mage

What do you guys think? Is there anything I'd be messing up or missing out on with this configuration?
Black Mage/Uhlan kinda sucks IMO. Why not do Archer/Uhlan and Black Mage/Red Mage? Then you have a kickass offensive/support Mage who can boost all elements instead of just fire/dark. And archer/Uhlan is a much better setup if you intend to use bows.

Lightning

Banned

Ashe - Knight/Time Mage
Basch - Bushi/Monk
Fran - Archer/Red Mage

Can work. It's not what i went for but there's some great potential in there.

neoism

Hit the Tomb of Raithwall and I'm so broke. No one is actually wearing armour. How do I make some freaking money?
Go to the mines where you had a 4 group with that young boy character and chain link the dead skeletons on the bridge you can get 20-30k every 10min

Aeana

DFb3Of6XkAAY4l4

Finally managed to make the best katana in the game. As a bonus, it's 1-handed, so I can use it with the Gendarme.

Here is my set up so far:

Vaan: ShikarI
Penolo: white mage
Balthier: machinist
Fran: archer
Ashe: bushi
Basch: knight

How should I double up

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Tired of trying to steal Great Trango from Zodiark. Spent 2 hours and he gives me Serpentarius all the time. He's not that tough with berserk though.

Bladenic

Ugh, having such a tough time deciding what to make Basch. Can't decide between Archer, Uhlan, or Bushi. Shikari, Monk, and Red Mage are what I made Vaan, Balthier, and Fran so far.

Tired of trying to steal Great Trango from Zodiark. Spent 2 hours and he gives me Serpentarius all the time. He's not that tough with berserk though.

The thing where you can only steal one item per enemy and a lot of them have Pebble in their item list is one of the major remaining design flaws of FF12 lol

Alric

Does this work or does it leave overlapping skills better suited for others.

Ashe - Archer/Redmage
Basch - Bushi/Knight
Balthier - Uhlan/Time Mage
Penelo - Black Mage/Monk
Fran - Machinist/White Mage

Or

Ashe - Knight/Redmage
Basch - Bushi/Archer
Balthier - Uhlan/Time Mage
Penelo - Black Mage/Monk
Fran - Machinist/White Mage

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Finally managed to make the best katana in the game. As a bonus, it's 1-handed, so I can use it with the Gendarme.
Guide says 2-handed. I might just go for Tournesol and Kumbha instead of trying to steal Trango. I kinda don't like invisible weapons anyway.
I want Trango :(

Edit: Must be old. It is one handed.

AlanOC91

Quick question: does your job/weapon link together? Can I make Baltheir a machinist and give him a bow without any consequences for example?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Quick question: does your job/weapon link together? Can I make Baltheir a machinist and give him a bow without any consequences for example?
Well you need the specific weapon license. Some of them can be used by all though. For eg. Sietengrat.

Aeana

How is it made? I just bought the pricey one at Archades.

Total, you need 2x gemsteel, 3x orichalcum, and 2x mallet. Gemsteel requires 2x hell's-gate flames, 2x damascus steel, and 1x scarletite. It's a bit of a pain to gather the materials, especially the hell's-gate flames and orichalcum. You can't make it until you go to Pharos because the last ingredient (orichalcum) is a rare drop from the deidars there.

Top Bottom