• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

There is no map in the great cristal ?? I thought this was fixed in this version.

Holy shit Giruvegan is still eerie as fuck but I have flashbacks of my hell from 10 years ago. Strangely it's the place I remember best... For all the wrong reasons!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Man, looking at some youtube videos for optimal gambits etc, how are people getting past level 40 before or at Tomb of Raithwall, lol.

Can someone list me some good post-Raithwall exp/LP grind spots ? I know of the Henne Mines Jelly thing, will try that but I read that it requires the Mirror Mail which won't become available until much later in the game.

Any suggestions ?

Nista

Every single enemy on all 3 floors should drop them... and if you don't pick them up, they eventually float away to be accumulated in a giant mass somewhere on the floor. There's one mass location per "quadrant" of each floor where they could show up. I've never had a mass fill to 99, but maybe it's the case that once that happens, enemies stop dropping them until you collect it? No idea there.

I actually had a giant black orb spawn give me 156 orbs on abyssal (I was having trouble picking them all up from the mass chaining of undead) and I still had the individual ones drop too. They are pretty hard to see if your tv contrast is set low.

Is the cure RNG method known to work with the Trango chest room down there? I tried it a few times but couldn't get it to spawn, and I got tired of throwing elixirs around.

I may just have to bite the bullet and steal it off Zodiark in revenge round 2.

pLow7

Man, looking at some youtube videos for optimal gambits etc, how are people getting past level 40 before or at Tomb of Raithwall, lol.

Can someone list me some good post-Raithwall exp/LP grind spots ? I know of the Henne Mines Jelly thing, will try that but I read that it requires the Mirror Mail which won't become available until much later in the game.

Any suggestions ?

Best spots i've found till now are one at the Miriam Stillshrine, there's an area wehre a lot of ghouls and undead appear where you can chain easily, get some exp and a lot of items to sell. Next one is a lot later in the Feywood. The Bird enemies there drop Mirror Mail Fairly easily and you lvl up nicely. Got from 37-42 with everybody and made about 300k ( 40 mirror Mails ) in 30 minutes.

And since you haven't reached Golmore, the Panthers at the beginning are Good too.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Best spots i've found till now are one at the Miriam Stillshrine, there's an area wehre a lot of ghouls and undead appear where you can chain easily, get some exp and a lot of items to sell. Next one is a lot later in the Feywood. The Bird enemies there drop Mirror Mail Fairly easily and you lvl up nicely. Got from 37-42 with everybody and made about 300k ( 40 mirror Mails ) in 30 minutes.

And since you haven't reached Golmore, the Panthers at the beginning are Good too.

Do the skeletons in the Stillshrine also respawn if you go 2 zones away like the skeletons on the bridges in the Lushu mines ?

MilkBeard

EDIT: Nevermind, I missed the second part of his post.

Yes, I agree that there is a good chain of ghouls/undead to kill someway into the stillshrine. I was doing it today, and was racking up a huge chain. The good news is that they respawn quite often so you can keep going.

Do the skeletons in the Stillshrine also respawn if you go 2 zones away like the skeletons on the bridges in the Lushu mines ?

Pretty sure you don't need to do that, they respawn pretty often, you can run around in the same passage and keep fighting them (I'm pretty sure, anyway).

Shahed

Finally managed to make the best katana in the game. As a bonus, it's 1-handed, so I can use it with the Gendarme.
I'm actually working on that and the Tournesoul at the moment. How far are you in the game? Do I need to wait till Pharos before I can get some Orichalcum?

Rookhelm

what's that one gambit (trying to recall from memory here) that's like "Item AMT <_ 10" or something like that.

What would that be used for?

S-E announced last year that FFXI is getting an Unreal Engine 4 remake for mobile platforms, but I think it will still be a MMO (F2P, I guess). Never played XI, so I don't know how the gameplay could suffer from touchscreen based controls.

The controls on PC are already some of the most obtuse and confusing in my game-playing history. I'm not sure how they could make it worse.

Ydelnae

Feels good to finally having the chance to clear the Zertinan Caverns. I'm taking my time completing hunts and gaining new Espers now that
Reddas has joined my team
since I suspect that he will get kicked out the moment I step into the next story sequence.

Feels good to finally having the chance to clear the Zertinan Caverns. I'm taking my time completing hunts and gaining new Espers now that
Reddas has joined my team
since I suspect that he will get kicked out the moment I step into the next story sequence.

Not to stop you from sidequesting while you've got a guest, but Reddas sticks around in your party for a good little while, IIRC.

The interesting thing FFXII does with guest characters is that when they leave your party you usually get immediate access to much better tiers of equipment and spells - for the most part, progressing the story to the point where they leave you doesn't feel like punishment.

God, what's the drop rate on Bone Helmets from the Wild Saurian with the monograph? Feels like I've been here for hours.
I can't remember which but there's a boss in trial mode which you can steal a bone helm from, I wanna say stage 15 or so. I have like three already and I'm not even at Tomb of Raithwell.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Not to stop you from sidequesting while you've got a guest, but Reddas sticks around in your party for a good little while, IIRC.

The interesting thing FFXII does with guest characters is that when they leave your party you usually get immediate access to much better tiers of equipment and spells - for the most part, progressing the story to the point where they leave you doesn't feel like punishment.
Not exactly, he leaves
after Ridorana/Pharos

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I consider that quite a good while! That's basically up through what is more or less
the final dungeon
, though you don't get to keep him around for any of the high-end postgame stuff that only unlocks after that.
I mean, he joins right before you head there and leaves at the end of that dungeon, so if you are planning on doing any questing with Reddas you have to do it before any story parts.
You guys liking this game?

I liked it quite a bit when it was originally released years ago, kinda tempted to pick it up again
It's a big improvement over the original IMO. Definitely worth playing again.

thedan001

2nd play through Vaan is lv50 from Dustia leveling now

Just trying to make a high level Vaan save file before Penelo joins your party to break the game

Managed to get stuff like karkata, berserk gloves, goddess magicite during trial 1-10 to beef up Vaan also but I kept the original save file jobless anyhow

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
God, what's the drop rate on Bone Helmets from the Wild Saurian with the monograph? Feels like I've been here for hours.

Got 3 or 4 of them from a specific jar in the SW of the Dalmasca Estersands/The Yoma region. Kind of in the middle of the path that leads to the SW-most beach area, but before the Cactoids.

So what do I need to do to complete trials 91-100? I have all the other trophies in the game, so beastiary's done and all that. I have 3 lvl 58's and 3 lvl 68's. Do I need to grind lvls and invis weapons?

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Got one hidden trophy left to go which is obviously for completing the game, Yiazmat, quickening concurrences, bestiary completion and the two trial mode trophies to go and the platinum is mine. Not sure what order to tackle them but I really am not good at the quickening stuff. Should have been spamming them every boss fight during the story. Only thing left in the bestiary are monsters I can fight in trial mode and about half of the rare game. First Final Fantasy game I'll have beat to 100% completion. Necrohol of Nabudis's soundtrack is probably my favorite track out of them all atm.

So what's the difference between one Quickening square and another? Nothing but what squares open up past it?

For example, I'm using Vaan as a Shikari, don't have a second board yet and can start opening the Quickens. Which should I open, if I care about max stats not points used?

So what's the difference between one Quickening square and another? Nothing but what squares open up past it?

For example, I'm using Vaan as a Shikari, don't have a second board yet and can start opening the Quickens. Which should I open, if I care about max stats not points used?

Each board has four quickening squares, each with a different point value. You can only pick three, so you want the ones that bridge to other licenses you want. Unlocking a quickening on one board will unlock the quickening for the same LP value on your character's secondary board (so buying the 50LP quickening on board 1 will unlock the 50LP quickening on board 2).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Just trying to make a high level Vaan save file before Penelo joins your party to break the game

Managed to get stuff like karkata, berserk gloves, goddess magicite during trial 1-10 to beef up Vaan also but I kept the original save file jobless anyhow
How long did it take you? Btw if Penelo is in your group and you do the Dustia-trick, do they share xp?

But why bother grinding levels on a second playthrough when you can just start at 90?

SirNinja

Btw if Penelo is in your group and you do the Dustia-trick, do they share xp?

XP earned is split evenly between the members of the active party. It's best to do Dustia farming when it's just Vaan by himself, because the other party members will be around his level when they join up.

Ponn

Banned
I'm a fucking moron. I'm well past getting my second jobs and about to do stilshrine and I've been wondering why the classes didn't really feel fleshed out. I was also wondering how it felt like I was filling out my boards quickly.

And then I just found the toggle button to switch between job boards.

Now in my defense I have eye problems and never saw the toggle button on the license board till I happened to be getting my cat down from in front of the tv and was close enough to see it. This is why I want more games like this on handhelds. I'm still a moron and admit it.

Jeels

The official guide recommends keeping Reddas in your party at the end (not progressing too far) and using that save to get through trial mode. Anyone try this out? I could see having a fourth party member be both an advantage and a determent.

MilkBeard

You guys liking this game?

I liked it quite a bit when it was originally released years ago, kinda tempted to pick it up again

Yep, game is enjoyable to play after all these years. Higher resolution, decent soundtrack remaster, and fast forward functions make it really easy to get back into.

The official guide recommends keeping Reddas in your party at the end (not progressing too far) and using that save to get through trial mode. Anyone try this out? I could see having a fourth party member be both an advantage and a determent.

Curative magic getting reworked to hit all party members makes it less of an issue - really, it means it's only a problem to the extent that you're using gambits to cure status effects (in which case yes, Reddas would make you use more turns and more items/MP unless your plan is to just use Esunaga every time anyway).

Abusing Trial Mode to get great equipment early seems like a really interesting tactic overall, though, and I'm curious to see which tricks people figure out to make yourself overpowered at different stages of the game. (Obviously the Seitengrat and Gendarme RNG tricks trivialize basically anything the game can possibly throw at you.)

Brakke

Banned
I bought a Grimoire from bazaar goods. It's a "monograph" or something, implies it makes better loot drop. Is that a real thing? It was pretty expensive...

Alucrid

Banned
I bought a Grimoire from bazaar goods. It's a "monograph" or something, implies it makes better loot drop. Is that a real thing? It was pretty expensive...

it makes enemies have a chance to drop certain items, it's pretty good and you should probabl y try to get all the monographs first

Atlantis

Abusing Trial Mode to get great equipment early seems like a really interesting tactic overall, though, and I'm curious to see which tricks people figure out to make yourself overpowered at different stages of the game. (Obviously the Seitengrat and Gendarme RNG tricks trivialize basically anything the game can possibly throw at you.)

I really don't think there is much of a trick to it, Karkata pretty much has 80%+ of the game covered.

I died at stage 99 from the trial mode, how do I resume to this point? By loading the auto save or going into trial mode again? I don't want to fuck my progress.

The great cristal is a nightmare. The mobs just crucify you in place : they all have these fucking 11+ effects on you : sap, disease, stop, slow, stone, poison, blind...

Yeah fuck me. How do you fight disease ? I have 3 serum...

I seriously consider backtracking back to the orange cristal, say fuck it and going hunting, POWER level and go back level 80 or something is this fucking mess.

Aeana

The great cristal is a nightmare. The mobs just crucify you in place : they all have these fucking 11+ effects on you : sap, disease, stop, slow, stone, poison, blind...

Yeah fuck me. How do you fight disease ? I have 3 serum...

I seriously consider backtracking back to the orange cristal, say fuck it and going hunting, POWER level and go back level 80 or something is this fucking mess.
Remedy lore 3 license makes remedy cure disease, and the cleanse spell also cures it. You can get cleanse from a pot in Cerobi Steppe.

Top Bottom