• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

Tomodachi

Made my way to Ultima only to find I'm underleveled and got destroyed. So now I have to back out and level up and then go through the bullshit that is the crystal again.
You'll find the gates opened the way you left them next time you'll try to beat Ultima. I agree that the crystal is way too tiring, the cystal at the end of the Giruvegan stairts should have been an orange one.

Mcdohl

To unlock bazaar stuff...

Do I need to sell specific items in groups? Or can I sell 1 item on one merchant, then hours later another item of the same recipe to another merchant?

Havok1313

To unlock bazaar stuff...

Do I need to sell specific items in groups? Or can I sell 1 item on one merchant, then hours later another item of the same recipe to another merchant?

You don't have to sell them at the same time. However, the problem comes with loot that is used for multiple items. If you complete one item before another, the bazaar "stock" on the ingredients will drop back to zero for those things. If you complete them at the same time though, you can use the same pieces of loot to unlock multiple things.

Overall it's not that big of a deal. You can't miss anything. You could just end up having to do some extra loot farming.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Finally got the platinum trophy just now.
Had taken about two weeks off the game once I had cleaned up everything minus the final dungeon and trial mode. Had binged so much of the game I grew a bit weary of it and needed a break. Turns out Elminage Original hitting the 3DS proved a nice 65-ish hour distraction. But with Destiny 2 literally around the corner, I figured I'd finally tackle the 100 floor trial, then beat the game, and the grind out Quickening chains until I hit Black Hole and got that fucking Mistwalker trophy.

So I did just that. Trial mode took around 2:15. Bahamut was stupidly short and easy for my level 99 crew. And despite that Black Hole has been my white whale for the entire run of the game, I managed to nail it on my third attempt after beating the game, with a 15 hit chain. (My previous record was a 17 hit chain that somehow only procced Luminescense instead of Black Hole. Was pretty sure I was missing one level 2 Quickening, goddamnit.

Started "finishing" FFXII around 9AM. Had it fully wrapped by just past 2PM.
So now, I wait for Destiny 2.

Astral Dog

The License gains are insane just unlocked the second one with the points they give its a cake. Two for character , i imagine the original game was tons harder

Astral Dog

I've scoured Gamefaqs for hours and I haven't got a clue as to what jobs should I assign to each characters. There are so many different builds and options and I don't think there is a clear consensus for the absolute best job combinations.

And the worst part is I haven't even started playing this game. I literally just bought this game today and now I'm too scared to even open it. What if I end up with a subpar party or worse? What if I'll just end up regretting my choices for each character's roles?

So please, help me out here. I don't care about repeating jobs or lore friendliness. Just spoonfeed me with whatever you think is the best job combinations for each characters.
Every board has insane HP Gains/Damage gains, i say its better to start with a white mage and meele weapons though, eventually you will unlock more convinations and it doesn't really matter ;)

I gave one of every job to each party member

Mcdohl

You don't have to sell them at the same time. However, the problem comes with loot that is used for multiple items. If you complete one item before another, the bazaar "stock" on the ingredients will drop back to zero for those things. If you complete them at the same time though, you can use the same pieces of loot to unlock multiple things.

Overall it's not that big of a deal. You can't miss anything. You could just end up having to do some extra loot farming.

I see, but aren't bazaar things a one time thing?

Example: I unlock one recipe and purchase the contents of it. If I sell the same loot again I would not unlock it again, would I?

vix

Waystone XIX near the peak goes back to the start of the upper crystal and creates another waystone to return. I don't think you need to actually kill Ultima to use it, but I could be wrong.

You'll find the gates opened the way you left them next time you'll try to beat Ultima. I agree that the crystal is way too tiring, the cystal at the end of the Giruvegan stairts should have been an orange one.
Thanks, I'll look into both. And yeah, there definitely needed to be an orange crystal there. That who map is just stupid and obnoxious.

What does levels actually do aside from increasing your HP? Is there a huge difference in stats between a level 66 Ashe and a level 99 one?

Tomodachi

What does levels actually do aside from increasing your HP? Is there a huge difference in stats between a level 66 Ashe and a level 99 one?

Damage output is based on many stats, including raw level.
For example, this is the damage formula for swords and spears.
6e76bc8e3e890096eeecd7e69933cfa3.png

Seyob

Would it be right to say that playing TZA without using a second job would be the exact same as playing IZJS? Is it even possible?

I'm trying to take on the white mousse fight, but whenever I enter the stage a water element makes a bee-line for me and just wrecks my party. Did I fuck up somewhere? Even leaving and re-entering the room doesn't seem to matter and it appears to be too strong for me to take on both of them.

FFXII:TZA lets you get too powerful compared to nearly all available enemies already, but I also really wish there were an unlockable second accessory slot for each character.

That, real NG+, and one *mechanically unique* character-specific ability per character would go a tremendously long way toward making the last great SP FF even greater.

silva1991

After an hour of trying to make lv99 Red Chocobo spawn, I didn't get my gemsteal and it's chance of dropping it is 90%...

Fuck you 10%.

At least I got a ribbon and didn't take me 4-5 hours like some people :/

FFXII:TZA lets you get too powerful compared to nearly all available enemies already, but I also really wish there were an unlockable second accessory slot for each character.

That, real NG+, and one *mechanically unique* character-specific ability per character would go a tremendously long way toward making the last great SP FF even greater.
Yeah... I was thinking for myself in lieu of that, I'm probably going to replay it this winter holiday or something with a sort of canon/roleplay constraint ruleset of some sort. Always 1-5 levels below bosses; maybe some spell/item rules; probably no farming/grinding (e.g. just natural direct progress through each story area -- no pausing to farm/grind -- to match the 'urgency of the story)... Not too sure yet but just in general try to make a bit more of a naturally challenging playthrough.

Vashetti

Banned
Reddas joined my party.

I might unlock everything and finish Trial Run with him before going to the Pharos...

It's not worth it, he's a detriment in Trial Mode because your characters will be wasting time reviving him in the later stages.

His HP doesn't scale very well and you can't change his gear so the later enemies will be knocking him out.

Mcdohl

It's not worth it, he's a detriment in Trial Mode because your characters will be wasting time reviving him in the later stages.

His HP doesn't scale very well and you can't change his gear so the later enemies will be knocking him out.

Ahh, bummer. That is good to know then.

Reddas joined my party.

I might unlock everything and finish Trial Run with him before going to the Pharos...

He's basically useful if you stick Arise on him for collecting Espers and doing assorted Hunts, but a bunch of additional good gear doesn't really become available until after the Pharos and your armor rating REALLY matters for the tougher Hunts (and yeah, he dies so easily that he'll disrupt the fuck out of your Gambits). I wouldn't use him for any Level VII hunts or for Ultima/Zodiark, or for the Henne Mines expansion area (enemies there will one-shot him constantly). He might be alright for further Great Crystal exploration though.

flyover

Very interesting. I just got Reddas, too, and assumed that having a fourth member would always make everything easier. Guess that's not the case. Hopefully, he will (as badcrumble mentioned) at least help me go back through the Crystal for some treasure hunting.

Deimo5

Up to 94.

Where do you get the techs for Shikari?

Edit: Yiazmat time.

Stopped me in my tracks. Can't DPS him down after he grows in levels. Maybe I should come back at lvl 99?

This is late but I guess for anyone else, grinding to level 99 is not necessary in this game. I am about to finish trial 100 and my Penelo is the only one above level 80 and basically all she does is support as a white/time mage. Also half my party is in the mid 60's. I don't have any of the those invisible super weapons or tournesol/zodiac spear either.
Yiazmat for example, i was doing good damage with yagyu darkblade and just raw combo damage from masamune, both buffed with bravery. Plus using the stat debuff technicks helps cut enemies down to size.

silva1991

does that really make the game more fun

It depends. Are we talking about Yiazmat the game, or the rest of the FF12 content the game.

I just beat Yiazmat a minute ago and 3 seitengrats, 3 ribbons and x4 speed were the only way to make this fight fun :p

Is it the wait for the NPC boy's arms to be up trick?

I tried this one and it worked(the wait 20 seconds and the 32 steps method never worked for me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQHeDOX4SAc

golem09

Neo Member
How are you guys planning your party?
When planning my jobs I really only ever thought of the whole group of 6, but having only 3 at once in my team, shouldn't I focus on setting them up in two trios in which all three chars work well with each other?

Also, about changing Shikari/Breaker to Shikari/Bushi ... Is it okay to simply have no breaker in the team at all? It sounded like a useful class.

silva1991

How are you guys planning your party?
When planning my jobs I really only ever thought of the whole group of 6, but having only 3 at once in my team, shouldn't I focus on setting them up in two trios in which all three chars work well with each other?

Also, about changing Shikari/Breaker to Shikari/Bushi ... Is it okay to simply have no breaker in the team at all? It sounded like a useful class.

I just focus on the best three and level them up. leveling up all 6 before advancing the story after each boss is so tiring.

i finally got to start playing this when i got the pro. i should have read that once i picked a license board i'm stuck with it.

praise the 2x speed lol

silva1991

Platinum get and I don't usually hunt for those(fuck the rare game hunt crap)

Best character

Favorite villain(should have been main antagonist)

Best summon

Best Quickening

best music

Esper Battle

Game is at least a 9/10 for me and I have grown to appreciate the characters alot more now with the remaster

Still don't care for Vaan and the alien girl with him tho.

i finally got to start playing this when i got the pro. i should have read that once i picked a license board i'm stuck with it.

praise the 2x speed lol

There is a x4 speed btw and it's even better especially for grinding.

Minamu

I bought this yesterday, haven't played 12 since its original eu release. These jobs things go over my head completely :lol I've checked the op and links but I can't figure out the "best" combos per character :/ I don't really care about lore jobs, I want strong af stuff ;) I thought I saw a per character list somewhere but can't find it? Common question perhaps but any ideas?

I bought this yesterday, haven't played 12 since its original eu release. These jobs things go over my head completely :lol I've checked the op and links but I can't figure out the "best" combos per character :/ I don't really care about lore jobs, I want strong af stuff ;) I thought I saw a per character list somewhere but can't find it? Common question perhaps but any ideas?

For the most part, mix a physical-oriented job with a mage-oriented job and you'll be plenty overpowered. BLM/MNK is especially flexible and offensively overpowered.

t0rment

Does it matter which job I assign as a primary and secondary or can I assign either in any order?

the only thing that matters is that the first job that you choose will be the one that you'll play the early game with, but it doesn't take too long to be able to choose the second one.

Minamu

For the most part, mix a physical-oriented job with a mage-oriented job and you'll be plenty overpowered. BLM/MNK is especially flexible and offensively overpowered.
Thanks. So far Vaan is Shikaru, Penelo is White Mage, Balthier is Machinist and Fran a Red Mage. It'll have to do, they seem fine so far :lol Ashe will become a Black Mage soon enough, I guess I'll go Monk there too later then.

Thanks. So far Vaan is Shikaru, Penelo is White Mage, Balthier is Machinist and Fran a Red Mage. It'll have to do, they seem fine so far :lol Ashe will become a Black Mage soon enough, I guess I'll go Monk there too later then.

The other thing is that Machinist especially should absolutely not be paired with a physical-oriented job. Machinist/Time Mage isn't an awful combo though.

So not Uhlan as the op mentions? At what point do you get to pick the second job?

Mixing it with Uhlan might give you some good armor options (I can't remember which jobs are keyed to which armor types) but off the top of my head those jobs are both reeeeeally all about weapon type (spear vs. gun) and you're really only going to be able to use one weapon type on that character. I could be wrong though, there are some subtle synergies between various jobs.

TheRealXanadu

Neo Member
Finally able to post! I made an account when this game came out and read through the thread while I was playing. It's a great a game. I can't believe I waited until now to play it, it's one of my favorites now. One question I have though is about trophies in new game plus. If i didnt unlock any trophies in my first play through can I get them on new game plus with my level 90 characters?

Caim

Finally able to post! I made an account when this game came out and read through the thread while I was playing. It's a great a game. I can't believe I waited until now to play it, it's one of my favorites now. One question I have though is about trophies in new game plus. If i didnt unlock any trophies in my first play through can I get them on new game plus with my level 90 characters?

Yeah definitely, but since nothing carries over it's pretty much a brand new file just at 90.

damn... i didn't know you could Summon in non battles.
i was stuck for hours in front of the gate asking for
gigas
i had to read up on it to finally figure out what to do to open it.

Top Bottom