• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

Original is the music you heard when playing on PS2.

OST is the music you got in the soundtrack you could get with the PS2 version, which is a little bit higher quality than the original.

Reorchestrated is the soundtrack rerecorded for this version of the game.

I definitely recommend Reorchestrated.

Got it. Thank you! I wasn't sure if "original" was an arranged version or something.

Ok, got it. Excited for job system.

I've been playing with combos. These are wholly based on lore/character style/what I think seems cool, so may not have the best synergy. But after ending up with a fully optimized party in vanilla XII that didn't make much sense based on character type or history, I'm interested in going the other way. I want to use all 12 jobs.

My current plan:

Vaan: Hunter/TM or Hunter/Breaker. He'll be on stealing duty of course, and I'd like for him to take a real utility role. No great swords for the 16 year old urchin. Time mage seems reasonable with a thief, speeding self, slowing party. Breaker too, as it's basically sabotaging the enemy.

Balthier: Machinist/breaker or machinist/uhlan. Breaker makes sense for a sky pirate (sabotage) and with guns, which could jam up the enemy from a distance. Considering the spear because I like sky pilots with spears. Also, given his place in story, a heavy weapon might make sense for him later in game. Maybe Samurai in same vein....

Penelo: Monk/Whm - I know these are a bit redundant, but martial arts and healing make sense for the dancer, and I can't imagine her with heavier weapons.

Ashe: Archer/red mage or red mage/time mage or black mage/time mage. She makes sense with ranged weapons to me given her physique (and given that she's not extensively battle trained). Also, given her role in story, having her focus on arcane power makes sense. Going all magic makes sense if one thinks of her as a summoner.

Basch: Knight/Samurai or Knight/Breaker. Both of these seem obvious choices. I don't want to give him any magic to speak of.

Fran: toughest for me to figure out. Archer/Rdm or BM makes a lot of sense given her back ground (rabbit forest lady with mystical knowledge). But I like her for frontline attacking, partly due to her physique/billing as weapon master, and partly because she just looks cool with the katana and spear.

Red mage/Samurai could be cool, or archer/uhlan (ultimate hunter) or archer/Samurai.

Choices choices!

iosefe

Dumb question

Farming trials for LP, do I need to load my game and overwrite it after each trial run or can I just repeat trials and dump LP points after a grinding session?
Save, quit to title, fight until you hit a wall, die or title, load auto save to wipe trial progress, save, quit to title.... etc ad nauseam

Meowster

The Basch/Vaan interactions are so good throughout Rabanastre. I wish they spent more time on their relationship throughout the game but I guess that can be said for a lot of characters in the game.

Incompetent Amazon can't figure out how to deliver my package. Literally says no update but call them on Friday if nothing shows up. Glad I pre-ordered the day it went up. Dumbest company around.

Strings

Enjoying the game enough, especially in comparison to the last two mainline single-player entries, but damn if it isn't messy overall.

Like, I still think the combat system is unengaging (despite the god-tier progression with the license board), the character designs are plain-weak (with the worst Ivalice armour sets - why the fuck is everyone wearing plate and sandals?), and that the historian frame narrative is poorly executed and unnecessary, especially in comparison to other Matsuno work like Tactics Ogre. The CGI cutscenes kinda suck too, with Eiji Fujii aping the Star Wars prequels in how he stages a lot of them (his work in FFXIII is plain too).

That said, Balthier is insanely charismatic, the soundtrack rules, and a relatively weak Matsuno story is still overall an above-average game one.

ZangBa

Fucking Florida infrastructure. No clouds in the sky but of course power randomly goes out for no reason. I hope auto saves stay after turning the game off or else I'm going to be really butthurt. If my PS4 even turns back on after waiting a bit.

iosefe

Fucking Florida infrastructure. No clouds in the sky but of course power randomly goes out for no reason. I hope auto saves stay after turning the game off or else I'm going to be really butthurt. If my PS4 even turns back on after waiting a bit.
North Miami and Miami gardens had stupid amounts of clouds and lightning in the last couple hours

Anyway, auto save really is a godsend

In other news I've reached trial 8 before bhujerba. Yay

ZangBa

North Miami and Miami gardens had stupid amounts of clouds and lightning in the last couple hours

There's been a lot of random 95 degree thunderstorms lately because obviously global warming doesn't exist, but the power never went out during those. Now it's clear here and I get unlucky.

Poor Mateus. Got struck by a 5 hit chain from Ashe that just melted the last quarter of her health bar. My team is really feeling OP now and the rest of my party are up to speed and geared up as well now. If anything killing my main team is the easy part since the backup have two members with Curaga.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Starting this game for the first time and I'm already paralyzed trying to decide what job to give Vaan. Any tips?

EDIT: NVM. Didn't realize the info would be in the OP. D'oh

Man I love this game so goddamn much.

All it's missing as far as I'm concerned is the corny, campy, old school humor that FF1-9 had (though, then again, those jokes probably don't work as well with voice acting).

Incompetent Amazon can't figure out how to deliver my package. Literally says no update but call them on Friday if nothing shows up. Glad I pre-ordered the day it went up. Dumbest company around.

Same thing happening to me! I'm complaining to them again right now after being assured it would arrive today

Perineum

I have been having a blast. I had all of today to play which is rare so I got to sink 8 hours in. Normally my time would be split between a variety of games, but this had me by the hooks the whole time.

I just beat Nidhogg after the mines stuff story wise.

I had a question for something I didn't get a tutorial for:

The "mist" system or whatever---how does that work exactly? I just know in fights I had used one, use another, then spam r2 and square or triangle to potentially trigger another which in turn has caused inferno. Now I am having issues it proccing the button prompt often. It's as if it skips it? Is that due to mistiming it somehow, am I supposed to hold R2 down or just hit it repeatedly for shuffle, etc. Is there correct combinations to learn ? Is there best ones to learn for each character/license board? I saw I can only learn up to 3 types. Does it mean 3 entirely different types, or does it mean like higher rank variants of the same one too ?

Finished the 2nd dungeon today.
I had set up my gambits so foolishly it gave me legit trouble but i ended up with around 50k worth of loot.
I also realized i may have screwed myself out of a decent healer until i get my second jobs, or atleast until the end of dungeon 4.

Ourobolus

Banned
I have been having a blast. I had all of today to play which is rare so I got to sink 8 hours in. Normally my time would be split between a variety of games, but this had me by the hooks the whole time.

I just beat Nidhogg after the mines stuff story wise.

I had a question for something I didn't get a tutorial for:

The "mist" system or whatever---how does that work exactly? I just know in fights I had used one, use another, then spam r2 and square or triangle to potentially trigger another which in turn has caused inferno. Now I am having issues it proccing the button prompt often. It's as if it skips it? Is that due to mistiming it somehow, am I supposed to hold R2 down or just hit it repeatedly for shuffle, etc. Is there correct combinations to learn ? Is there best ones to learn for each character/license board? I saw I can only learn up to 3 types. Does it mean 3 entirely different types, or does it mean like higher rank variants of the same one too ?
So each character has three quickenings. There are four spaces on the license board to learn them, and you learn them in order (lv1->3).

When you trigger a quickening you basically want to use any other quickening that is available (so if you use Fulminating Darkness with Basch and you see Penelo has Evanescence, you can do hers next). If nothing shows up, pressing R2 will reroll it to hopefully get one to show up.

The Concurrence (like inferno) that happens triggers depending on the number of each level quickening you do. For instance, doing 2 level 1, 2 level 2, and 2 level 3 quickenings will trigger Ark Blast.

EDIT: You don't really get a lot of time to actually shoot for a specific Concurrence, so I just fire off as many as I can and hope for the best.

So each character has three quickenings. There are four spaces on the license board to learn them, and you learn them in order (lv1->3).

When you trigger a quickening you basically want to use any other quickening that is available (so if you use Fulminating Darkness with Basch and you see Penelo has Evanescence, you can do hers next). If nothing shows up, pressing R2 will reroll it to hopefully get one to show up.

The Concurrence (like inferno) that happens triggers depending on the number of each level quickening you do. For instance, doing 2 level 1, 2 level 2, and 2 level 3 quickenings will trigger Ark Blast.

EDIT: You don't really get a lot of time to actually shoot for a specific Concurrence, so I just fire off as many as I can and hope for the best.

One thing to be very careful of in this game is to not learn quickenings willy nilly at the earliest possible time.
Quickening slots can lock up to 8 license cells behind them, some of them core to making classes shine, only 3 of which a character can unlock over the course of the game.
For eg my vaan started as a hunter, all of the different ninja blades are locked behind quickenings. Now i need to decide, whether i want all of them, in which case ill be sacrificing abilities of my 2nd job, or if should only unlock the license for the ultimate ninja sword that makes use of my intended build

Perineum

One thing to be very careful of in this game is to not learn quickenings willy nilly at the earliest possible time.
Quickening slots can lock up to 8 license cells behind them, some of them core to making classes shine, only 3 of which a character can unlock over the course of the game.
For eg my vaan started as a hunter, all of the different ninja blades are locked behind quickenings. Now i need to decide, whether i want all of them, in which case ill be sacrificing abilities of my 2nd job, or if should only unlock the license for the ultimate ninja sword that makes use of my intended build

I'm confused by this. Could you please elaborate a bit more?

I had gone ahead an already learned one with Vaan, Basch, and Fran I believe, or maybe it was Balthier. I don't get what you mean it locks behind it on the license board. As in it's a one block path, and you can't get to the next set of things without learning that Mist ability, so if you are 3/3 then that whole path becomes blocked? That sucks. How do we know which ones to learn then?

iosefe

I had gone ahead an already learned one with Vaan, Basch, and Fran I believe, or maybe it was Balthier. I don't get what you mean it locks behind it on the license board. As in it's a one block path, and you can't get to the next set of things without learning that Mist ability, so if you are 3/3 then that whole path becomes blocked? That sucks. How do we know which ones to learn then?
Oh no

I've learned too much too soon.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I hope I'm not the only one who thought Larsa was a girl at first.

Ourobolus

Banned

Quickenings, like Espers, can form a bridge to some of the "islands" on the License Board. But since you have two classes, you need to definitely make sure WHICH 3 of the 4 Quickenings you activate so that you don't miss out on any of the islands that you want.

Just left Bhujerba. Love the game.

Playing one of my favourite FF again is a godsend. Its like 2006 again.

Gone with the setup of:

Vaan - Shikari/Foebreaker
Penelo - Monk/Black Mage
Balthier - Machinist/White Mage
Fran - Archer/Red Mage
Basch - Bushi/Uhlan
Ashe - Knight/Time Mage

Just left Bhujerba. Love the game.

Playing one of my favourite FF again is a godsend. Its like 2006 again.

Gone with the setup of:

Penelo - Monk/Black Mage
Balthier - Machinist/White Mage
Fran - Archer/Red Mage
Basch - Bushi/Uhlan
Ashe - Knight/Time Mage

You just left Bhujerba but already have two jobs unlocked? I thought that happened after Raithwall.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Man I wish there was a gambit that stops my thief from trying to steal as soon as enemies don't have anything on them anymore.

Yeah, same here. I set Vaan to steal from the nearest foe, on highest priority. "Cool, now I don't have to do it manually anymore!" Until I saw Vaan try to steal multiple times from the same Gigantoad.

Now I just open fights with a manual steal order, after which he can fall back on his regular combat gambits.

Foe=100% is what I use. Generally this means you'll get 1 shot to steal per enemy as your party does dmg, but you will rack up plenty of loot regardless though and Vaan resorts to attacking after that first attempt. can always manually steal after if a particular boss or major foe is a miss afterall too.

Just got to Bhujerba. Man I love this game so much; the characters are probably my favorite group/team out of the whole series -- though that could change, I've never actually beaten this game, haha. Also, this games translation is really well done.

Here's my planned set up for this run, based on the guides posted in the OP:

Penelo - Monk/Blackmage
Balthier - Whitemage/Machinist
Fran - Red Battlemage/Archer
Basch - Knight/Bushi
Ashe - Time Battlemage/Uhlan

Donthizz#

game has aged like fine wine. Having a blast playing it again.This license board tho 👌

They don't make games like this anymore.

Guys how stupid is my party? I'm not restarting, I don't really care, just curious..

Vaan: White Mage/Machinist
Balthier: Foebreaker/Bushi
Fran: Shikari/Knight

Thanks hahah

Guys how stupid is my party? I'm not restarting, I don't really care, just curious..

Vaan: White Mage/Machinist
Balthier: Foebreaker/Bushi
Fran: Shikari/Knight

Thanks hahah

Vaan synergy with class 2 is good, butnyoure wasting his strength.
Balthier not sure about this but probably sub optimal
Fran shikari knight can work as a decent attacker tank but but fran is honestly not a physical character given her native stats.

That said
You can beat it and have fun with anything so go crazy

Grewitch

You get it during the main story, once you get your first esper.

You're a legend, thanks very much, saved me from a lot of confusion.

Just to share: the jump from Mage Masher Daggers to Assassins Daggers is pretty significant. Vaan and the team were killing those skeletons in Lhusu Mines in a second or less. I was level 20 and defeated those kidnappers without a hassle. Felt good. I remember running from those deviants the first time.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Here's mine:

Main Party:
Basch - Knight/Archer
Balthier - Foebreaker/White Mage
Ashe - Bushi/Black Mage

Sub:
Vaan - Shikari/Monk
Penelo - Red Battlemage/Uhlan
Fran - Time Battlemage/Machinist

cLOUDo

so i finally decied for this party
if help to somebody...

vaan: shikari/foebreaker
Balthier: machinist/white mage
Fran: Archer/red Mage
Bash: Knight/Bushi
Ashe: Black Mage/monk
penelo: Uhlan/timeBattlemage

well balanced, lore-friendly(ish) and all jobs used

any comment, suggestions is well received

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
What's "remedy lore"?

As I scrolled through my characters screen, I saw Blind, Poison, Silence and Slow un-greyed so I purchased the spells thinking I can use them.

I can't. Womp womp.

Caim

What's "remedy lore"?

As I scrolled through my characters screen, I saw Blind, Poison, Silence and Slow un-greyed so I purchased the spells thinking I can use them.

I can't. Womp womp.

Makes them more effective by allowing them to clear more status ailments.

Top Bottom