• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Can someone explain to me how the Trial Mode works? In order for me to continue my game with all acquired gil and treasures, does that mean I have to load the Trial Mode save when starting the story? Which means erasing all trial progress?

iosefe

Can someone explain to me how the Trial Mode works? In order for me to continue my game with all acquired gil and treasures, does that mean I have to load the Trial Mode save when starting the story? Which means erasing all trial progress?

correct. proceed to resave the game and feel free to quit to title again for another cycle

ObsidianG

would the esper recommendations from the lore friendly guide still work for these?

They would for balthier! I personally plan on giving mateus (gil toss) and zalera (+435 HP) to vaan, as well as ultima (expose) and Cuchulainn (Wither) to Bash. I go by a 2 esper by character rule so I don't know how that matches up to the lore friendly esper guide.

Didn't have much time the last few days but I remember now why I loved this game and especially this first act.

Just effing around with my gambits is still a joy. Even the simple stuff is giving me my fix so I can't wait for later on.

New to the job system so I'm working some odd things. Ashe is a monk and Penelo is my Battle Mage. Now white mage until my second job so It's Cura and emergency potions for now. No Black Mage either, maybe just to see if I can do it.

Nohar

Didn't have much time the last few days but I remember now why I loved this game and especially this first act.

Just effing around with my gambits is still a joy. Even the simple stuff is giving me my fix so I can't wait for later on.

New to the job system so I'm working some odd things. Ashe is a monk and Penelo is my Battle Mage. Now white mage until my second job so It's Cura and emergency potions for now. No Black Mage either, maybe just to see if I can do it.

Black Mages actually are quite frail and useless at first. They get leagues better once they unlock better spells, such as Aero (should be unlock able right before departing to Raithwall Tomb) and Fira/Thundara/Blizzara. You probably won't miss that job that much, but once you have it unlocked with the good spells, you'll love it.

Managed to get my hand on a Lockley Bow (stole it from the unique undead from Raithwall Tomb). Combined with Fire Arrow, I make short work of most enemies in Giza (and for the biggest foes: Oil multiplies damages to an absurd level).

When I used to play the PS2 version I made my own jobs. Is it still possible to make jobs like Paladin, Berserker, and Dark Knight or is the job system too restrictive for this?

iosefe

Does anyone have a guide on how to break the game with the trial mode?

Save game, quit to title, run trial mode, loot the "chests," steal from every named boss, kill them, continue until you die or choose to quit to title. Load game, re-save, repeat

Decided not to restart, any advice for a good second job for white mage penelo?

Van has red mage, so shikari will balance with him. All others jobs free atm

Nohar

When I used to play the PS2 version I made my own jobs. Is it still possible to make jobs like Paladin, Berserker, and Dark Knight or is the job system too restrictive for this?

Yes, it is entirely possible to do so. The "Knight" job, for instance, can unlock high-level White Magic if you use the correct Espers to unlock the path to these job licenses. And, of course, you can dual-job White Mage, though it isn't recommended (since A) you can access high-level White Magic without dual-jobbing, and B) you really want someone dedicated to healing who isn't a main damage dealer).

For a Berserker-like job, just pick Foebreaker and have someone cast Berserk on that character (or make the character do it themselves if they can with a second job).

As for Dark Knight, the Knight can use Greatswords and Torment, which uses your HP to inflict damage, so you can gear your Knight towards that role.

Forgot to ask Can you choose the same job with two characters?

Yes. There is no restriction to how many characters with the same job you can have. You want to make all of your characters Knights? You can. You want to make them all Knight/Machinist? Well, it serves no purpose, but yes, you can. The only thing you can't do is pick the same job twice for the same character (because you already own their license board, duh), so no Knight/Knight, Machinist/Machinist, Archer/Archer... You get the idea.

I normally don't buy physical guides, but I'm very tempted to snag one from Best Buy.

Are the maps at least good? I know most print guides have issues, but if this one is decent I'll grab it.

BeeDog

Is there a good list on missable items that you can only get through stealing from monsters? I've tried to gambit-steal stuff from rare enemies/bosses, but getting a bit paranoid about missing items :/

I normally don't buy physical guides, but I'm very tempted to snag one from Best Buy.

Are the maps at least good? I know most print guides have issues, but if this one is decent I'll grab it.
Would like to know this as well. I don't care about the 'guide' part of most guides, but if the maps and artwork are good then I might consider them worth the money.

Nohar

Decided not to restart, any advice for a good second job for white mage penelo?

Van has red mage, so shikari will balance with him. All others jobs free atm

The Complacent Gaming Syndrome orders you to pick Machinist, as it gives access to guns which don't rely on strength to deal damage. Also allows you to get all the Remedy Lore, as only a fully lored (... *ahem*) Remedy can cure Doom. Add to that HP licenses and access to Light equipment, and you have a quite capable White Mage.

Mcdohl

Orchestrated. Havent used my code yet. No need.

It's beautiful.

Agreed. It's not like FFX's HD new OST, which I didn't like. This time it truly feels superior.

Man, I just wanted to 'try out' this game, but it re-hooked me. More than I expected.

This has probably been said a lot before, but man, this game really did age like a fine wine.

So I'm running Balthier as Machinist/White Mage and Penelo as Archer/Black Mage. Both of them have access to light and mystic armor. Which type of armor is best suited to each character? Would it be effective to mix armor pieces (i.e. a light headpiece and a mystic body piece)?

kromeo

So I'm running Balthier as Machinist/White Mage and Penelo as Archer/Black Mage. Both of them have access to light and mystic armor. Which type of armor is best suited to each character? Would it be effective to mix armor pieces (i.e. a light headpiece and a mystic body piece)?

The point of light armor is to boost hp, so use mystic for mages unless you feel they're dying too much

Rad-

What gambits should a red mage have?

They are so versatile that it's somewhat hard to gambit him/her. Should be manually controlled for best effect. But stuff like:

more than 3 foes -> immobilize/sleepga/disable
normal healing gambits
normal foe weak to element gambits
foe status oil -> ardor
etc.

iosefe

have i broken the game?
unknown.png

Rpgmonkey

So do you guys just optimize your Gambits as much as possible or do you have an approach that’s a little different?

Finding that I still like my preferred way of playing I used in the PS2 versions:

- Active mode on the fastest speed.
- Only using Gambits to automate really common and/or repetitive scenarios (attacking, stealing, elemental weaknesses) and some conditions for the team healer.
- Mostly manual control for my party leaders (Balthier and Basch for this run). I really only have Gambits on for them so they can automatically default to attacking after completing some other command I had them do.

Besides all that I like to improvise and do things on the fly. Basically I just make everyone smart enough to do the obvious/generic commands without me having to tell them and beyond that I play it pretty much like any other ATB-style FF. Plus in this you can queue commands, with makes the improvisation and prediction element a little more interesting.

I also played through it before with no Gambits at all on a slower speed or Wait mode and found it pretty interesting, particularly for tougher fights, but the above arrangement strikes a better balance between intensity and interactivity for me.

I understand why Gambits are divisive, but I really love the concept and how flexible XII is overall to a variety of play styles. The gameplay options and customization you have are a big part of why this and FFV are my two favorites in the series.

Syntsui

have i broken the game?
unknown.png
Up until around Deadlands section, yes lol.

I love the Oil > Fira combo on Red Mages as well as the Lure on Vaan with Main Gauche/a good shield. That apart, I have a Karkata Basch with Berserk ring and I just walk around the scenes melting everything. Just make sure to have the Red Mage cast Cura when HP < 60%.

I'm having absolute zero problem with anything so far (I'm about to get to the Feywood section).

Delio

God Adrammelech had me SWEATING. Curse those other mobs it spawns. Penelo pulled through for me let me never sayanything bad about her again.

Really dont know which 3 of the 4 Ninja Sword Licenses through Quickenings for Shikari Vaan i should get.

Which of the 4 are a must have and is there one i dont really need compared to the other 3?

FinalAres

I loved this game when I played it years ago, but honestly I loved it for the endgame,not the story.

This time however, the story is so smooth, and well paced and interesting. I don't know if it's time, the improved presentation or something else, but this story is incredible to me now!

Although I'm only a few hours in.

Nohar

I loved this game when I played it years ago, but honestly I loved it for the endgame,not the story.

This time however, the story is so smooth, and well paced and interesting. I don't know if it's time, the improved presentation or something else, but this story is incredible to me now!

Although I'm only a few hours in.

FFXII's beginning always was solid story-wise. However, the giant environments hurt the game's pacing, an issue which is partially solved thanks to the fast-forward options introduced in this version of the game. And the further you advance in the game, the more you realize its shortcomings. I, for one, was incredibly disappointed with the judges when I first played the game, and I still hold that same belief today (Ghis had a short but overall fulfilling story-arc, but the rest... Bergan didn't last long and was stereotypically evil, Zargabaath had one. single. scene in which he does something, Gabranth... was okay I guess, and I still don't accept how quickly
Drace was removed from the picture entirely, she could have been so much more
).

The Jason

So nice to start playing this again!

I remember waiting forever for the original FFXII to come out, every day checking the web for new news. I remember going to gamestop and picking up my collectors edition game and strategy guide, and being so excited.

Returning to the game I have some of those same feelings.

The remastered visuals are nice, the character and monster models are fantastic. Rabanastre looks awesome. Although I was a little more impressed with the FFX remaster overall, FFXII looks great so far.

The art in FFXII has always impressed me and now we can finally see the detail. I remember playing the original on PS2 thinking I wish it was on PS3 instead because PS2 just didint do it justice.

Top Bottom