• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

Meowster

Al-Cid is a wonderful design. Well. This is the furthest I've gotten in the game in all my many playthroughs in the past. Usually gave up at Mt. Bur Omisace or right at the Stilshrine but I just made my way through both. The rest of the game will be new for me henceforth.

Caim

So I noticed the clan provision shop as new items compared to the original FFXII

First item is a decoy spell, does anyone have the new updated list from the clan provisioner?

They put all the Green Magic spells in the clan shop now.

Other than the Cat-Ear Hood the rest of the accessories he sells have changed too.

ally:hp<20% --- Infuse

this is nice...

5 minutes later
'game over'

apparently infusing at 0 mp kills people lol.

i like how the job system forces you to use all your characters, starting out with my time mage for aoe( i think gravity and dark are the earliest ones you get) , then disable > switch out to full time healer, get in ranged dps and tank.....real nice flow for harder fights.

too bad i unlocked karkata before even reaching raithwall , that thing killed demon wall 1 before it even reached halfway. gotta go back to normal weapons, this thing can kill trial mode belias before he even casts his second firaja

Rad-

Oh look found another way to Henne Mines.

The fuck enemies here are 40 levels over me with the ability to one shot kill me lol. Still killed 3 of them, took a while though. Dat Disable. Got a Sage Ring. It's weird how I have forgotten some of these areas even though I have finished the game like 5 times. Well it has been several years since the last time.

Addramalech. Status effects are a pain in the ass.

Get Blizzara and he becomes much easier. He is weak to it.

Still not sure whether I like this game or not (as of the Levethian airship).

Off the top of my head, I've run through mines , dungeons and sewers with characters I'm not too fond of and a combat system that, while overwhelming, can be fun.

I would rather be spending more time adventuring than micromanaging chess boards, gambits, jobs, etc. I knew this part of the game was going to rub me the wrong way and I should have probably followed my intuition.

I'll keep plugging along. Convoluted is the word that comes to mind when I think of this . Top to bottom.

Eusis

I kinda wish they took the effort to make 2X speed 60 FPS if technically doable. Usually these engine restrictions on going 60 FPS is because the game is sped up... so how about just letting the game get sped up and it runs at 60 FPS?

I guess there could have been other issues, I.E. it actually couldn't maintain a stable 60 FPS at that fidelity, or that they were lifting the feature from the PS2 Zodiac release, and so would've had to rework it entirely. Still, when I can get that sort of fast forward on movies it looks nice in a way even if it's not how I'd normally watch it, and I'd have liked that here. Plus maybe that would have made 4X more manageable with more visual data to process.

Nohar

ally:hp<20% --- Infuse

this is nice...

5 minutes later
'game over'

apparently infusing at 0 mp kills people lol.

Yeah... That peculiar skill really needs an additional condition to be met before it is used, such as "Character's MP >50%". Otherwise it just goes off and can potentially kill someone, or even the whole team. The only way to avoid accidents is to use it manually, sadly.

Rad-

Still not sure whether I like this game or not (as of the Levethian airship).

Off the top of my head, I've run through mines , dungeons and sewers with characters I'm not too fond of and a combat system that, while overwhelming, can be fun.

I would rather be spending more time adventuring than micromanaging chess boards, gambits, jobs, etc. I knew this part of the game was going to rub me the wrong way and I should have probably followed my intuition.

I'll keep plugging along. Convoluted is the word that comes to mind when I think of this . Top to bottom.

You shouldn't be spending that much time on those. You can try only buying licenses when in towns so it doesn't stop the flow of exploring/dungeoning. And only set basic gambits that go for every situation. That's my playstyle.

Also the adventuring opens up quite a bit after Raithwall. After it don't go directly for the story direction but places like Nalbina (you can pass the guards there and gain access to huge several new areas), Barheim (new areas there + optional Esper), Zertinan Caverns (new areas + optional Esper) etc. You also get a big number of new hunts.

Nohar

Pretty much what Rad- said. Right after Raithwall is one of the best segment of the game, as you gain access to a lot of different places and challenges. You can tackle on very hard bosses way before you realistically should, explore areas you aren't exactly ready to face but the game doesn't stop you (heck, it is quite rewarding to go to these places), and on top of that you can do all of this with a very nice ally by your side if you take the time to recruit him and stop moving along the story to keep him with you a little longer.
In fewer words: that part of the game is fun and provides some nice challenges. Enjoy it.

On a side note: keeping a save right after Raithwall is the best thing to do, as it allows you to enjoy said part of the game and try different second jobs. Itwould have been better to be able to change all jobs at this part for people who wish to do so, but hey, I'm not complaining.
If you are motivated, it is possible to just start the game from scratch, not select any job and complete Raithwall (despite having no bonuses and access to good equipment, it believe it to be definitely doable with decent levels and good use of items, although some bosses may become quite hard as a result; it is a good thing the Mythril Saber you get along with Basch can be equipped by anyone, since it is a unique weapon which doesn't need any license to be used). This way, once you kill Belias, you will be able to unlock every jobs and try all the combinations you want. You just need to keep a separate save file for your experiments.
I really should try that actually.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Can someone please explain Quickenings? It says you can only select three, but once you pick one, it seems to unlock the next one on all slots on the board. So... what's the point of picking one over the others?

mieumieu

Can someone please explain Quickenings? It says you can only select three, but once you pick one, it seems to unlock the next one on all slots on the board. So... what's the point of picking one over the others?

There are four slots for quickenings. If you unlock 3 of them the last one will disappear. If that one is connected with an island, then the island will be unreachable.

Nohar

I've got an old one from the original and it's really useful (never really played it much before so enjoying this!)

Keep in mind though that the Zodiac versions of the game completely changed chests' contents, items found in quests (including the ones from the Hunt Club and Ktjn's rewards), spells and skills available in shops depending on your progress, etc. Several skills can only be found in chests too. So the guide will be completely useless for that.

Dantis

I want to like this but I'm really not feeling the combat. I feel so removed from it and uninterested. I'm still really early on but combat is already feeling like something I actively want to avoid.

Lightning

Banned
How do you get the zodiac spear now? Does it have anything to do with the royal palace?
1% spawn in the henne mines. Guaranteed once the chest spawns but that's so late in the game it doesn't really matter. Basically the spear in this version is a collector's item since you get it so late.

Nohar

1% spawn in the henne mines. Guaranteed once the chest spawns but that's so late in the game it doesn't really matter. Basically the spear in this version is a collector's item since you get it so late.

You can also get the Zodiac spear through the Hunt Club side quest. But that also means forgoing other items. I really wonder what are the most interesting rewards to pick...

Lightning

Banned
You can also get the Zodiac spear through the Hunt Club side quest. But that also means forgoing other items. I really wonder what are the most interesting rewards to pick...
I know through the hunt club but that's insane cause you sacrifice a much more useful genji glove and a ribbon. Sacrificing the other rewards is in no way worth the zodiac spear.

Al-Cid is a wonderful design. Well. This is the furthest I've gotten in the game in all my many playthroughs in the past. Usually gave up at Mt. Bur Omisace or right at the Stilshrine but I just made my way through both. The rest of the game will be new for me henceforth.

Al-Cid is awesome. I still want a game set in Rozarria/Ordalia.

Nohar

Al-Cid is awesome. I still want a game set in Rozarria/Ordalia.

I really wouldn't mind a FFXII-2 (with a different or at least refined gameplay). Sure, Square-Enix's track record with direct sequels to their mainlines titles hasn't been great (FFX-2 had a great gameplay, but a passable story; the less said about "FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus", the better; FFXIII had two sequels that pretty much nobody wanted as the sales showed; FFIV: The After Years was decent, I guess?), but if Matsuno is given another chance to direct a game, and if that game is FFXII-2, sign me up (let's just hope he will have the chance to follow through to the end this time).

Kain

I really wouldn't mind a FFXII-2 (with a different or at least refined gameplay). Sure, Square-Enix's track record with direct sequels to their mainlines titles hasn't been great (FFX-2 had a great gameplay, but a passable story; the less said about "FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus", the better; FFXIII had two sequels that pretty much nobody wanted as the sales showed; FFIV: The After Years was decent, I guess?), but if Matsuno is given another chance to direct a game, and if that game is FFXII-2, sign me up (let's just hope he will have the chance to follow through to the end this time).

No, no, no, no, NO. TAF is the worst piece of shit you'll ever lay your hands on. Agh, disgusting.

I would prefer Matsuno to tackle Tactics Ogre again to be honest.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I just finished the Tomb of Raithwall (hello my second jobs!)

I was watching the series of cutscenes after Raithwall, and I'm still in awe of the tone and dialogue. I always had high respect for XII's storytelling, but after a decade it's actually better than I remembered it.

I grew up with FF in my childhood and teens, and to have a game like XII at the dawn of my 20s was an assurance that this series would grow with me and be a series worth carrying forward into adulthood.

But then XIII and XV devolved into broken shounen anime gobbledegook.... I had actually been questioning whether my reverence for the series' storytelling was a foolish young person's opinion and this was a series for mindless tweens all along.

No, this game exists, and I'm looking at it with 30-something eyes. Seeing is believing: someone actually took FF storytelling seriously once. It could have been a series for adults, or at least smart teens. They just abandoned that effort with later entries.

Aside from the mature tone, it feels like the DNA of classic FF. A ragtag team of heroes, expressing their inner sentiments in wonderfully staged cutscenes. I know it could use more party comraderie, etc, and I don't claim XII has the perfect storytelling. I know it falls apart in the last half. But it was the right trajectory for FF, storywise, and they completely abandoned it to make C-tier children's anime. XII makes me hate the braindead XIII and XV all the more.

The game didn't age one day. It's still the best playing JRPG out there. The Xenoblade games come close and have more flashier combat, but they can't match the gambit system and overall style of FF12.

I love all the new additions. I don't use speed up mode too often but it comes in handy in large areas like the oil refinery or while filling out the maps.

Slowly leveling up all of my characters equally because I want to max out all of them with all 12 jobs in use. It's such a joy to play and a very relaxing experience.

Joqu

Since i now decided which Quickenings im gonna pick with Shikari i also planned my Espers in advance before i accidentally fuck up.

Hopefully its also gonna help others since i saw multiple people that also have the same job setup.

I think i did a good job of getting the best bonuses while also spreading them out evenly and also fitting to the characters and their jobs visually.

Vaan[Shikari/Foebreaker] - Zalera, Shemhazai
(435 HP, Traveler / Guns 5 and 6)

Balthier[Machinist/White Mage] - Famfrit, Zodiark
(Vanishga, Warp, Slowga, Reflectga, Graviga, Hastega / Numerology, Daggers 5)

Fran[Archer/Red Mage] - Chuchulainn, Zeromus, Exodus
(Firega, Thundaga, Blizzaga, Sleepga / 3rd Channelling / Heavy Armor 8,9,10)

Basch[Bushi/Uhlan] - Belias
(Libra but doesnt really matter which one. Also my boy Basch deserves at least one Esper)

Ashe[Knight/Time Mage] - Mateus, Adrammelech, Hashmal
(Curaga, Regen, Cleanse, Esuna, 230 HP / Cura, Raise / Confuse, Faith, Bravery, Curaja, 3rd Channeling)

Penelo[Monk/Black Mage] - Chaos, Ultima
(Holy, Esunaga, Protectga, Shellga / 2nd, 3rd Swiftness, Telekinesis)

Hey, thanks. I haven't bought the game yet but I've been planning out some "lore friendly" job setups and this is one of them, so this'll be pretty useful.

The other one I've been considering is the following:

Vaan: Shikari / Foebreaker
Penelo: Monk / Black Mage
Balthier: Machinist / Uhlan
Fran: Archer / Red Mage
Ashe: Time Mage / White Mage
Basch: Knight / Bushi

I rather like the thought of Uhlan being on Balthier instead of White Mage character-wise, and I also like how Basch turns out this way, it's my Ashe I'd be a little iffy about.

But it does happen to fit this artwork, which doesn't mean a thing but it's still sort of neat to me:

mYU0jls.jpg

_Ryo_

Oh look found another way to Henne Mines.

The fuck enemies here are 40 levels over me with the ability to one shot kill me lol. Still killed 3 of them, took a while though. Dat Disable. Got a Sage Ring. It's weird how I have forgotten some of these areas even though I have finished the game like 5 times. Well it has been several years since the last time.

The chocobo path?

Also getting one shotted by a group of 4 slimes feels awful dumb.

Jennipeg

I'm having an issue with my gambits, back in the day I controlled my support character directly, and that meant I could get away with dodgy gambit setups. This time i'm trying not to do that, and I have accidentally used all of my potions twice, so I changed to cure, and now have no mp all the time. I'm suddenly finding the game more challenging due to my own incompetence, that said i'm enjoying trying to figure it out. Its like a whole new game to me.

most underrated FF soundtrack ever

I think so, I don't know how I played it before and never noticed how good it is.

Rootbeer

Banned
Since i now decided which Quickenings im gonna pick with Shikari i also planned my Espers in advance before i accidentally fuck up.

Hopefully its also gonna help others since i saw multiple people that also have the same job setup.

I think i did a good job of getting the best bonuses while also spreading them out evenly and also fitting to the characters and their jobs visually.

(Libra but doesnt really matter which one. Also my boy Basch deserves at least one Esper)

(Curaga, Regen, Cleanse, Esuna, 230 HP / Cura, Raise / Confuse, Faith, Bravery, Curaja, 3rd Channeling)

Thanks. I know some people are fine with it, but I can't get myself to run some of the wonky party makeups that some are coming up with that don't take lore into account at all. I really like what you've done and I'm going to be emulating it.

King_Moc

Banned
I'm having an issue with my gambits, back in the day I controlled my support character directly, and that meant I could get away with dodgy gambit setups. This time i'm trying not to do that, and I have accidentally used all of my potions twice, so I changed to cure, and now have no mp all the time. I'm suddenly finding the game more challenging due to my own incompetence, that said i'm enjoying trying to figure it out. Its like a whole new game to me.

I have two characters with cure using it on any ally that's less than 70%. My main guy is set to use a potion on anyone less than 50%. Having no problems with that so far.

BumRush

Thanks for posting this!

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Welp I ended up stealing a Karkata from the flower cactoid on trial stage 3 and I'm not putting it to waste soooo... guess I'm breakin' this thing. Welcome divine knight Ashe.

Jennipeg

I have two characters with cure using it on any ally that's less than 70%. My main guy is set to use a potion on anyone less than 50%. Having no problems with that so far.

Thanks, i'll try something similar. I also had Fran immobilise enemies, I thought it would be useful on the Leviathan, i've had to turn that off because she is just burning through her mp, so now i'm running up and down corridors to replenish it. I just had my whole party wiped out because nobody had mp and I have no potions, oops!

Luckily this game is more forgiving with its auto save, I only had to go back one room, it would have been a long trek otherwise.

gun_haver

most underrated FF soundtrack ever

I actually think this game has one of the worst Sakamoto OSTs he's ever done. There are a few good tracks in it, when he is doing gentle or mysterious music, but I feel like the constant middle ground between field and battle music having to be met meant that a lot of the music just kind of thuds and chugs along and is really bland and actually kind of annoying after a little while. I kind of hate it.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Any tips on who to give what espers? My team is

Vaan knight/bushi
Balthier monk/bushi
Fran white mage/machinist
Basch knight/battlemage
Ashe red mage/black mage
Penelo white mage/shikari

( Did i fuck up my classes btw? D: )

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ughhhhh why is the voice quality still so crap?

Anyway, what a masterpiece. It's crazy how 10 years later you can see how they made smart technical design choices to make this game look timeless. You can see how low poly things are though. But good lawd this game.

Nohar

Any tips on who to give what espers? My team is

Vaan knight/bushi
Balthier monk/bushi
Fran white mage/machinist
Basch knight/battlemage
Ashe red mage/black mage
Penelo white mage/shikari

( Did i fuck up my classes btw? D: )

For Espers, you ought to look at the google.doc (provided in the OT). It will help you to determine which Espers unlock what for each job.

Regarding your job choices (while keeping in mind that the game is very easy, and that even suboptimal job choices will work):
  • Vaan Knight/Bushi: A popular combination. Nothing to worry about here.
  • Balthier monk/bushi: 2 Bushis? Sure, why not. Not really sure what they bring to each other though, as you have no access to heavy armor. Bushi's armors and special nodes will help if you unlock the Monk's white spells, but your Monk would far better with light armor or heavy armor if you use fists.
  • Fran white mage/machinist: Popular and efficient combo.
  • Basch knight/battlemage: Which Battlemage, Red or Time? Knight/Time Battlemage is an efficient combo, not so sure about the second one (you want your characters to focus on melee attacks or magic when dealing damages; Time Battlemage has quite a few useful spells which can turn the tide of the battle, whereas the Red Battlemage is a more offensive spellcaster, who has access to good utility spells too). On a side note, Basch is the worst mage, with terrible Magic and MP. Bad idea to give him a Mage job.
  • Ashe red mage/black mage: Classic combo which works well to boost damages. Only 2 Swiftness licenses though.
  • Penelo white mage/shikari: That's unorthodox. Also, you already have a White Mage. This is inefficient. If you want a popular combo, pick Foebreaker/Shikari (but not on Penelo: she is best used as a Mage, especially a Black one).
Overall, having more than one job of each is suboptimal, as you don't really need characters using the same spells and equipment (that will cause problems when you'll find end-game weapons that you can't have multiple copies of, such as the Masamune).
So, you didn't fuck up your job choices per see. You can perfectly complete the game with those (the IZJS version only allowed one job for each character, didn't stop players from completing the game and its hardest challenges). Is it efficient though? To put it bluntly: no.

NeoBob688

I regret not getting the limited edition because of the lack of the third soundtrack option. While the new orchestrated music sounds good overall, I feel some
tracks miss a certain "umpf" that is present in the original CD release version. The original PS2 soundtrack version ("original" music option in the game) is clearly inferior to both.

the combat improves SO much after job 2, i have pretty strong phys party members but all im doing is using all the different tecks and magicks
shuffling between , horology, numeroly, shades of black, gravity and dark for the entire team so cool. shades is infinitely stronger in this game(especially for early game since itll fire just as many scathes as a regular fire at 0 cost.
and holy crap the double leveling is game on its own, learning what to unlock and when , creating clever short paths to the licenses you want

Top Bottom