• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

Anoxida

I started playing X yesterday after losing interest in XV but now I feel like I shoulda started on XII cause it's all people are talking about. First world problems.

I mean it depends, do you like to engage with the community when you play through a game? If not then just keep plahing FFX. This thread will still be here when u tackle ffxii.

Meowster

The lore you get from all the different hunts as you start getting further into the more difficult ones are quite interesting. I know it isn't likely but I would love to see a return to this world someday (that isn't that basic and boring Revenant Wings).

RPGCrazied

Honestly I'd just look a guide up. This is one of the worst parts of the game for me. It's so tedious running around trying to find those trees and I feel like there's way more than necessary that it turns into busy work. Even with speed up you still have to be careful cause those elementals will fuck you up if you're not aware.

There's one in every area except the most northwest and southeast ones.

I think there was 5? There's pretty much one in every zone including the central area where the town is. The top left area might not top of my head

Thanks

Is there a map maybe out there that pinpoints all the trees?

hawk2025

Is there any point in not selling stuff like:

- wolf pelts
- wind stones
- other stones

And things like that? I don't see a crafting system of any kind.

mieumieu

I know people say espers are useless, but the first one you get tanked a boss for me, lol

The
green moss dragon.

Espers stats are generally boosted in IZJS and duration is 3x longer.

Also in TZA their HP can exceed 9999 which makes them even more useful.

There are other hunt specific loots too right?

Yes but the serpentskin can help you get better (but not missablel) stuff in the Barheim Key sidequest IIRC. Still not a great loss if you sold it.

Espers stats are generally boosted in IZJS and duration is 3x longer.

Also in TZA their HP can exceed 9999 which makes them even more useful.

Yes but the serpentskin can help you get better (but not missablel) stuff in the Barheim Key sidequest IIRC. Still not a great loss if you sold it.
Ty. I can sell some of the stuff I've been hoarding for fear of missing out.

I mean it depends, do you like to engage with the community when you play through a game? If not then just keep plahing FFX. This thread will still be here when u tackle ffxii.

I've never played a Final Fantasy aside from FF XV, which I hear isn't that highly regarded, and I didn't really like it all that much by chapter 3. FF X drew me in and I gave it a solid 2-3 hours on the first go despite it being late already, so do I like it a fair bit, but I would like to be playing with the community though, and I hear XII isn't turn-based, which is what I'd prefer, but then again I do actually want to play and finish X. I don't know how I feel about having to play X-2 before I can allow myself to play another FF game though.

Re: Vayne.

Just found a very old post I made about this subject on Gamefaqs. From last decade:

There are several reasons why:

Reasons why Vayne was the hero:
- The most obvious reason: Him and his friends sought to liberate humanity from the control of megalomaniacal beings who wanted to be gods.
- He fought to protect his homeland from another aggressive country
- Vayne, an elected official from a parliamentary democracy, liberated two countries that were dynastic monarchies (read: dictatorships)
- Cid was in his party. Cid is always a good guy.

Reasons why Ashe was the villain:
- Her only goal was to put herself back in power
- She utilized demons to achieve their goals. Note: These demons would later try to destroy the world in FFT.
- She allied with common criminals and sky pirates.

The only reason the narrative preaches Ashe as the hero was because she won. Had Vayne succeeded, he would have rightfully been labeled as the hero.

TLDR: Victor's justice.
Haha sort of in the same vein I wrote this about, 'Would it have been cool if Reks had become the main character?'

"Not very cool because then Vaan would have never had to use sky pirate delusions of grandeur as a coping mechanism to cope with the death of his brother, so he'd have never snuck into the fete, and never met Balthier and then Ashe, and then Ashe
would have only been rescued by Asellus
and without Vaan's emotional support and providence of perspective which helped each of them realize
their use of delusions of grandeur as coping mechanisms to deal with lost loved ones
, and therefore she'd have given into her lust for vengeance, started a grand war, and become a tool of the
Occuria
and power hungry villain.

So basically the main character would be Reks and the final boss would be Ashe.

But, hey, at least you'd probably be wearing a proper shirt!"

Call me crazy but two of my favorite antagonists of the last decade or so are Vayne and Skull Face o.0

So far enjoying this more than 10 years ago. Still not crazy about the OST. Still not a fan of Vaan and Penelo. Still think the script is over-written. But going in fully expecting a dungeon crawler, and one made more interesting by the limitations of the job system, has made me appreciate just how good of a dungeon crawler the game is.

So much loot. So many tactical approaches, Everything as smooth as butter with the right gambits. I'm already all excited about getting gladius early and chaining werewolves :-/

Aeana

Is there any point in not selling stuff like:

- wolf pelts
- wind stones
- other stones

And things like that? I don't see a crafting system of any kind.

Selling is crafting. Sell it all except for a Great Serpentskin, which you get as a reward for a Hunt.

Just as a point of information, there is an advantage to holding on to some of the rarer ingredients. Stuff you sell in the same batch can be counted toward two recipes. For instance, say item A requires 1x gemsteel + 2x item1. Item B requires 1x gemsteel + 2x item2. Selling 1x gemsteel, 2x item1, and 2x item2 at the same time will unlock both. So you don't need 2x gemsteel.

I would not worry about this until later in the game, but I thought I would point it out.

Since the game is pretty easy already, is the Remaster even rebalanced to account for you being able to hold 2 jobs, or is everything the same as in the International Zodiac PS2 release?

Where on the PS store do I go to confirm/download my soundtrack preorder bonus on ps4? I put in my preorder bonus, went through the prompts and that was it. Why doesn't the list of purchased content on PS4 incomplete?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Where on the PS store do I go to confirm/download my soundtrack preorder bonus on ps4? I put in my preorder bonus, went through the prompts and that was it. Why doesn't the list of purchased content on PS4 incomplete?
It didn't really give me much of a confirmation either. But all you need to do is open up the config menu in-game and see if you have 3 soundtrack options instead of 2. It's an on-the-disc DLC, it seems.

MrDaravon

Are you talking about the code that came with the steelbook? Once I put it in I didn't have to download it and it didn't show as an option for me, I'm guessing because it's already on the disc. I had the option show up in-game immediately on first boot after putting the code in without downloading anything.

Chris R

How do quickenings on the boards work? Can I only unlock 3 between my two boards per char? And I guess a single person/board gets the Espers?

Aeana

How do quickenings on the boards work? Can I only unlock 3 between my two boards per char? And I guess a single person/board gets the Espers?

Yes and yes. There are only 4 quickenings per char, you can only unlock 3, and they're shared between both of your characters' jobs. So the 50 LP quickening is unlocked on both boards if you buy it on one.

The voice of Vayne is a dead ringer for

MV5BMjEwODg1MTA5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDQwMTQxMw@@._V1_UY317_CR11,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Chris R

Yes and yes. There are only 4 quickenings per char, you can only unlock 3, and they're shared between both of your characters' jobs. So the 50 LP quickening is unlocked on both boards if you buy it on one.

I see on my boards right now the same skill in multiple spots, is that just because I haven't unlocked any of them, and the one I don't pick becomes the 2nd skill when I skill the first one???

edit: and ya, no shared exp is a bummer, just means I have to grind twice as long to get my levels :(

I'm enjoying this so ridiculously much lol I forgot how much I loved this game

I think the last FF game I played was the X remaster, which I absolutely hated. One of my least favourite FFs by far.

This is such a breath of fresh air and much more in line with where I would have probably liked the series to go after playing IX.

Aeana

I see on my boards right now the same skill in multiple spots, is that just because I haven't unlocked any of them, and the one I don't pick becomes the 2nd skill when I skill the first one???

edit: and ya, no shared exp is a bummer, just means I have to grind twice as long to get my levels :(

The first time you buy a quickening for a character, it has name A, then the second time the rest will have name B, then the last two will have name C.

For instance, at first, all four spots for Vaan's quickenings are called Red Spiral. Once you buy Red Spiral, the remaining 3's names change to White Whorl, and once you buy that, the remaining two on the board will change to Pyroclasm. Then once you buy Pyroclasm, the other one disappears.

Chris R

The first time you buy a quickening for a character, it has name A, then the second time the rest will have name B, then the last two will have name C.

For instance, at first, all four spots for Vaan's quickenings are called Red Spiral. Once you buy Red Spiral, the remaining 3's names change to White Whorl, and once you buy that, the remaining two on the board will change to Pyroclasm. Then once you buy Pyroclasm, the other one disappears.

Ok, that's what I thought. Just have to decide on which to ignore then for each char.

Delgear

Neo Member
Played through almost all of it. Once you get good at chaining your done. You can beat everyone to the point you too will just walk away

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Err... How does crafting work here? Basically just sell the loot and check out the bazaar?

Haha sort of in the same vein I wrote this about, 'Would it have been cool if Reks had become the main character?'

"Not very cool because then Vaan would have never had to use sky pirate delusions of grandeur as a coping mechanism to cope with the death of his brother, so he'd have never snuck into the fete, and never met Balthier and then Ashe, and then Ashe
would have only been rescued by Asellus
and without Vaan's emotional support and providence of perspective which helped each of them realize
their use of delusions of grandeur as coping mechanisms to deal with lost loved ones
, and therefore she'd have given into her lust for vengeance, started a grand war, and become a tool of the
Occuria
and power hungry villain.

So basically the main character would be Reks and the final boss would be Ashe.

But, hey, at least you'd probably be wearing a proper shirt!"

Call me crazy but two of my favorite antagonists of the last decade or so are Vayne and Skull Face o.0

Aw yisss to all of the above. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed Vayne.

In relation to the above, Vaan's not my favorite character by any means, but I think I literally make this face every time I read people (including reviewers) say Vaan isn't important to the plot:

uF9MjJo3QIaijySXC4iL_Confused%20Christian%20Bale.gif

...erm. what.

Aeana

Finally.

I can confirm two things:

a) it doesn't matter how you spawn the chest, once it's spawned, the "wait for the kid to go to the corner 4 times, and then press X as soon as he stops moving by his parent" method will work once it's there.
b) fast forwarding on the screen once it's spawned doesn't seem to affect the timing, because I had 2x fast forward on running out the door and up the stairs to the chest before I shut it off, and the timing still lined up with the kid.

nickgia

Does it matter who I assign Espers too? I'm afraid I'm gonna screw it up. My line up:
Vaan : Bushi / Knight
Balthier: Shikari / Foebreaker
Fran: Black Mage / Monk
Basch: Bushi / Foebreaker
Ashe: Black Mage / Red Mage
Penelo: White Mage / Machinist

Any help would be appreciated!

Err... How does crafting work here? Basically just sell the loot and check out the bazaar?
Yeah but you have to sell the loot at the same time...

So, if X weapon requires 10 of wool and 10 iron, if you sell 10 of one but 9 of the other... or even 1 each time you visit, even after selling 100 it won't spawn. You have to sell all the required materials at the same time.

So, it's still sort of smart to not sell all your loot constantly, if you want to try discover bazaar items without a guide.

It's kinda a bad system, I'm not sure why they did it that way. Maybe technical or memory related... I can't imagine a good gameplay reason for it. Especially since the game in no way suggests this requirement, and in fact a few NPCs early in the game would seem to promote selling your loot ASAP as a source of money.

Anyhow, best way to do it I guess without a guide is just try... always sell things in batches. If an item seems rare, maybe try wait until you have 3 or 5 before you sell it. If it's common, wait until 15 or maybe 25. And try to sell things only once after every major story section, I guess? Some materials have overlap so if 2 different recipes require 5 wool, you don't need 10, selling 5 unlocks both.
Does it matter who I assign Espers too? I'm afraid I'm gonna screw it up. My line up:

Check the boards in-game (look for 'islands' of Licenses you cannot access yet) or look at License board pictures here. You can kinda see for yourself where you may have overlap.

Aeana

It does matter, because the "islands" on each license board are bridged by espers. So you'll just need to see which espers lead to which licenses you want most.

The textures don't look so hot.

It didn't really give me much of a confirmation either. But all you need to do is open up the config menu in-game and see if you have 3 soundtrack options instead of 2. It's an on-the-disc DLC, it seems.

Ahh, thanks. That was the case. The instructions that come with it say to download it.

Top Bottom