• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

I'm in the Sandsea grinding with poach. Don't remember this ability from the OG game, but it's useful for finding rare loot to turn into new items. The problem is it does so at the cost of EXP and LP.

Ugh, I'm now sitting at work thinking of XII.

Tiops

Which doesn't change the fact that it's not a save the world story.

Eh, I understand what you're saying but to me it is a save the world story. There's not an impending doom to the world itself, but everyone lives in fear of being the target of another Sin attack, that basically kills a LOT of people when happens.

And anyway, FFXII story and it's events are pretty interesting to me. I love the way how things are told, how basically everyone has their reasons and importance in the story and how it's just a war story with some mystical twists, like in Final Fantasy Tactics.

It blows. The only CE things about it is the hard cover and a forward from Hiroaki Kato. The worst part is, there is no index or even colored tabs to separate the sections. The main walkthrough hardly mentions side events/rare encounters and when it does, it doesn't reference what page to find more info on it. The maps and treasure lists for them are good, but if it's a map outside of the main story, you have to go searching for it in some random part of the extras section. The info's all there but it's not presented very well.
Hm might sent mine back to amazon then. It's over a week too late anyways and I played half of the game without it. The old guide seems still useful for hunts and walkthrough.

Pejo

Is there a reason to hold on to loot drops, or should I just sell them asap to get bazaar items and money? I honestly can't remember if this game eventually has quests/crafting that use drops.

kromeo

Is there a reason to hold on to loot drops, or should I just sell them asap to get bazaar items and money? I honestly can't remember if this game eventually has quests/crafting that use drops.

Just sell them for the most part, there's a few things like Behemoth steaks where it's better to not sell them all at once though

aett

I believe you need to hang on to a certain cactuar needle and a snakeskin (from two separate quests/hunts) in order to eventually unlock an optional area with an Esper. I don't know why people complained about the Zodiac Spear, a single weapon that can be outclassed by high-combo weapons, when there's a whole area that you can't get to because you just happened to sell off a couple of innocuous-looking loot items in a game overflowing with them.

kromeo

I believe you need to hang on to a certain cactuar needle and a snakeskin (from two separate quests/hunts) in order to eventually unlock an optional area with an Esper. I don't know why people complained about the Zodiac Spear, a single weapon that can be outclassed by high-combo weapons, when there's a whole area that you can't get to because you just happened to sell off a couple of innocuous-looking loot items in a game overflowing with them.

If you mean for the
Barheim passage key
I think you can still get that without the snakeskin, you just miss out on the best reward

aett

That's good. I guess the original guide I read back in the day made it seem like this was your only option and I carried that fake fact for a decade.

Maledict

I'm guessing it's not possible to sell off the factoid flower right? And by guessing I mean praying as I'm fairly sure I emptied my loot inventory after that quest...

Pejo

Just sell them for the most part, there's a few things like Behemoth steaks where it's better to not sell them all at once though

Thanks guys. So just to be 100% safe, I can just hold on to 1 of each item and sell the rest, right? That way I still have any of the items required for these quests.

I wish they'd just throw quest items into the key items category. Actually, I wish they'd put teleport stones in the items category too instead of loot. I accidentally sold about 30 of the bastards.

Meowster

I try to keep everyone similar leveled.. just in case an accident happens and I need a backup team to step in. So far, my main team of Ashe/Vaan/Fran are level 42 in Archades while the backup group is level 38.

Thanks for this.

Hmm...I think I sold one or two of the quest items. Bleah.

The Small Package quest gives literally nothing, and if you sold Semclam shells or Nebralim, you can just pick them up again. Valeblossom might also be fine.

If you sold Great Serpentskin, you're screwed on that quest.

Don't remember if Dewdrop Pebbles screw you completely if you sell them.

Pantz

Hm might sent mine back to amazon then. It's over a week too late anyways and I played half of the game without it. The old guide seems still useful for hunts and walkthrough.

My bad it does have an Index, it's just small so I missed it. Something crazy is the guide is word for word the same as the BradyGames guide (aside from the updated parts). The Prima version is 7 less pages, not counting the Trial Mode section at the end. It IS the BradyGames guide but they squish it together a bit more to cut out those 7 pages.

Wonder how that all worked out legally.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Why is it that my Machinist Balthier, has the lowest attack power of all my characters with a non elemental gun, yet hits twice as hard as anybody else lol?

kromeo

Why is it that my Machinist Balthier, has the lowest attack power of all my characters with a non elemental gun, yet hits twice as hard as anybody else lol?

Guns ignore defence and don't scale off any stats, that's why people use them with mages

I'm at the foot of Bur-Omisace and my characters are all around level 52.

It's more fun this time because thanks to the job system I can experiment around with the combination of classes.

Bubbins

Looking for some GAF input. Just got back to rabanastre
after retrieving the dawn shard
. My characters are level 15-8 which feels and I feel a tad underleveled (I'm good on LP as I've played through trial mode 10+ times). As such, whats a good place to grind both for exp and gil (need to buy all those new spells!)? Lhusu mine?

kromeo

. My characters are level 15-8 which feels and I feel a tad underleveled (I'm good on LP as I've played through trial mode 10+ times). As such, whats a good place to grind both for exp and gil (need to buy all those new spells!)? Lhusu mine?

You're right around the level you should be at that point, a lot of people in this thread are just power levelling well beyond what's necessary. I'm ahead of you at Jahara and my characters are 19-20

Yeah, killing the skeletons on the bridge is a great way to grind early on.

Carbonox

kromeo

If you need money there's a sidequest in Bhujerba that give 15000g I think that unlocks after you get the dawn shard

I just left Bur-Omisace!

Where am I at %-wise in the story? I don't think I mean to do optional stuff, if the hunts all need to be done in order that sounds way too tedious for me.

Rough guess I would say half way

I just left Bur-Omisace!

Where am I at %-wise in the story? I don't think I mean to do optional stuff, if the hunts all need to be done in order that sounds way too tedious for me.

I'd say you're at about the halfway point.

Hunts can be done at anytime, but you're missing out on the challenge the longer you put them off.

I just left Bur-Omisace!

I'd say you're at about the halfway point.

Hunts can be done at anytime, but you're missing out on the challenge the longer you put them off.
Yeah I feel like it's a good idea to do hunts as they come. Otherwise you'll be overleveled and will miss the strategy needed to take on some of the hunts if you were on an even level.

Unless wrecking everything in sight appeals to you. Then go right on ahead. Either way there are going to be some hunts towards the end game that test you no matter what you do.

Yeah I feel like it's a good idea to do hunts as they come. Otherwise you'll be overleveled and will miss the strategy needed to take on some of the hunts if you were on an even level.

Unless wrecking everything in sight appeals to you. Then go right on ahead. Either way there are going to be some hunts towards the end game that test you no matter what you do.

I've actually been kind of disappointed at how the new license boards actually discourage you from not being overpowered. If you take your time to explore the maps, you'll be swimming in LP but won't have access to most of the gear, meaning the best use of LP is on power-up licenses which give you an obscene edge early on. I suppose you could always just avoid spending LP, but once you've got like 300+ on each of your characters (thanks, Jagd Yensa!), I feel like I've done enough sitting on LP, heh.

I'm gonna do a more minimalist playthrough (avoid getting licenses until I hit difficulty walls) after this to see if I can squeeze more challenge out of the story.

Shifty1897

This is downright annoying that all the ninja swords are behind quickenings. There's 4 quickening spots but you can only select 3 so either a Koga Blade or Iga Blade can never be used. That's just bullshit that they do that.

I threw a fit about this yesterday.

Yeah I feel like it's a good idea to do hunts as they come. Otherwise you'll be overleveled and will miss the strategy needed to take on some of the hunts if you were on an even level...

The story is moving along at a very steady pace and rarely encourages me to head back to Rabanastre to check on the board. It just feels weird to take a break from stopping
a possibly imminent invasion by two different empires
to go take out some aggressive wild life.

Either way there are going to be some hunts towards the end game that test you no matter what you do.

Can I do the super tough end-game hunts without doing the earlier ones? End-game stuff sounds fun but if I have to slog through the early ones to get there (especially since I not only have to take the hunt quest, I then have to go talk to whoever put the message up then return to them for completion) I just won't bother. Maybe on a replay or if I get the supposed PC version down the line. I've barely done any grinding and I'm still overpowered.

kromeo

I've actually been kind of disappointed at how the new license boards actually discourage you from not being overpowered. If you take your time to explore the maps, you'll be swimming in LP but won't have access to most of the gear, meaning the best use of LP is on power-up licenses which give you an obscene edge early on.

I'm gonna do a more minimalist playthrough (avoid getting licenses until I hit difficulty walls) after this to see if I can squeeze more challenge out of the story.

I would love so much to have a hard difficulty setting in this game, without having to resort to self imposed challenges or weak mode

I've actually been kind of disappointed at how the new license boards actually discourage you from not being overpowered. If you take your time to explore the maps, you'll be swimming in LP but won't have access to most of the gear, meaning the best use of LP is on power-up licenses which give you an obscene edge early on.

If you beat trial mode you unlock New Game+ Weak Mode which keeps your characters at level 1.

Also the main story content has been mostly easy for me, but I've definitely been challenged via the hunts. I just beat the Marilith at my current level (22-24 as I said a few posts up) and I went through about 5 Phoenix Downs and had to use my Quickenings once he hit his berserker rage mode.

The story is moving along at a very steady pace and rarely encourages me to head back to Rabanastre to check on the board. It just feels weird to take a break from stopping
a possibly imminent invasion by two different empires
to go take out some aggressive wild life.

Can I do the super tough end-game hunts without doing the earlier ones? End-game stuff sounds fun but if I have to slog through the early ones to get there (especially since I not only have to take the hunt quest, I then have to go talk to whoever put the message up then return to them for completion) I just won't bother. Maybe on a replay or if I get the supposed PC version down the line. I've barely done any grinding and I'm still overpowered.
You don't need to go back to Rabenastre to check boards. Any town with the Tavern icon will have the same boards as all other towns. So any time you hit a new city just check the board.
The elite hunts /can/ only been started at Rabanastre though. And no, there is no progression needed to do hunts, they unlock as the story progresses so you can skip the early ones if you like.

Edit: I recommend stopping to smell the flowers in this game. I know the story pacing may feel off but the game was designed for you to stop and explore a bit. You're missing out on a good bit of content, I'd argue you're missing out on the real meat of the game. Hunts not only are where the real challenge lies, but they also open up other side quests as well.

Top Bottom