• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 TGS News Thread [New Details, One Disc On 360]

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

StuBurns said:
I'm saying if you're going to get upset when you 'correct' someone inaccurately, and I correct you in return, maybe you should.

Pre-rendered has a specific meaning, and Perfo was right. I don't even agree that people separate them that way at all. I always read them being called pre-rendered, and the fancy stuff being called CG.

I guess it's technically all CG though.

You have just presented exactly why there is a good reason to separate it. It's all CG. it's all pre-rendered. If you want to use the actual specific original meaning, there is no technical difference between a scene intended to be a full CG FMV, and a scene which is supposed to look like an in-game cutscene but is recorded instead.

I see no logical reason why you would "disagree" with the separation. For the purpose of the discussion, using pre-rendered to refer to those cutscenes was specifically confusing the discussion. As such, I am suggesting the use of the more commonly understood term for what he intends to say.

The objective here is to have a conversation everyone understands easily.

duckroll

StuBurns said:
Why not 'in-engine' then? Everyone would understand that, and it's actually correct.

There are realtime cutscenes in-engine, and there are pre-recorded cutscenes in-engine. Hence the use of the term pre-recorded. See?

StuBurns

Banned
duckroll said:
There are realtime cutscenes in-engine, and there are pre-recorded cutscenes in-engine. Hence the use of the term pre-recorded. See?
I understand the issue, I just don't really see why the three terms you suggest are ideal, especially as they're not generally accepted. For example we all use 'second party' to mean games published by a first party and developed by a third party. There's no such term, but everyone has somehow agreed that's what that means.

I don't have any issue with using pre-recorded/rendered as separate things of course, I just don't think that's close to generally understood, I'd never heard of it for example.

This is a significant derail though, so I don't think it's worth discussing.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
ULTROS! said:
If I remember correctly, Last Remnant was poorly developed (like the UE wasn't optimized), maybe that's what attributed to the bigger size?

Pre-recorded (or pre-rendered XD) cutscenes I think were the sole reason for the space taken. Anyway yes, the game was poorly optimized overall but I don't think that's the issue.

Now for another topic, we hear of costumizable outfits for XIII-2... these will change stats too perhaps? It'll be interesting if so. Or else, at least we have hopes to find something decent to wear for the freaks populating this game, lol ~

FreeMufasa

I know a lot of people don't want this but I hope we get a shorter/smaller game (not saying linear). Seems to be what I can manage now days.

Narolf

Banned
I expect it to be the same as X-2, personally: story beat in a 20ish hours, yet with a lot of sidequests and all enough to triple the lifetime.

Pooya

http://andriasang.com/comya1/

Matsui's comments with the magazine are mostly about the game's monster raising component. They're placing a good amount of time on this area of the battle system.

The game will have rare monsters -- monsters that have a low encounter rate or are hard to capture, for instance. It seems that you won't be able to add giant monsters to your party, though.

Different monsters have different difficulties in terms of commands. Even if you fail at inputting a command, the monsters will still attack, although succeeding with a command will result in greater damage.

[...........]

In addition to taking direct control, you can also assign attack AI routines, selecting from "normal," "concentrated" an "scattered." This is part of the new "Paradigm Tune" system

paradigm tune sounds interesting, should add more depth to battles

lots of plot details in there too.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
In addition to taking direct control, you can also assign attack AI routines, selecting from "normal," "concentrated" an "scattered." This is part of the new "Paradigm Tune" system
Does this mean my Healers will stop standing next to a provoking Defender when a monster is about to use an AoE attack now?

Because if so... then FFXIII-2's battle system is quite an improvement over FFXIII's. I hope battles are more random (ie: I can't use the same strategy for every battle against the same enemy) this time around. That was what made battles in FFXIII's endgame, postgame and Plat trophy run rather monotonous after a few hours. Even though I abhor them, at least the Guis kept me on my toes because their attack patterns changed sometimes.

Perfo

miladesn said:

More I hear of this, more I'm shocked in finding out how much content they are packing in just for this game. And we are still three months away from actual release, how much more there is to it?

duckroll

Dark Schala said:
Does this mean my Healers will stop standing next to a provoking Defender when a monster is about to use an AoE attack now?

Because if so... then FFXIII-2's battle system is quite an improvement over FFXIII's. I hope battles are more random (ie: I can't use the same strategy for every battle against the same enemy) this time around. That was what made battles in FFXIII's endgame, postgame and Plat trophy run rather monotonous after a few hours. Even though I abhor them, at least the Guis kept me on my toes because their attack patterns changed sometimes.

I sure hope so. Reading about what they are doing with the battle system doesn't seem enough for me. FFXIII's battle system is so dynamic that it is impossible to fully represent it in words imo. Since a large part of the system is how the AI reacts and behaves, these improvements will truly shine if they are properly implemented and can be seen in action. Until then, I'm going to hope for the best, and expect the worst.

dramatis

The Last One said:
I think you guys are forgetting that FF XIII without the CGs was like 5-6GB in terms of file size.
Probably because of audio (uncompressed). If they pare down the soundtrack and story, and have less locations than 13, then it might fit on a DVD.

The bulk of time is spent on combat, so if they stuff monsters in (which won't take up much space AND doubles as gameplay for monster capturing) they can increase total game time. Main story will probably take less time than 13 though, unless Toriyama's really serious about his srs bsns story.

Tizoc

miladesn said:

Hey that doesn't sound so bad, still hope the QTEs won't be very irritating with the monsters though.
How many recruitable monsters are there again? Hard to believe there'd be 150 seeing as...it's such a big number o_O

miladesn said:

I'm really shocked they let Toriyama pull the same shit as he did with 3rd Birthday. Do they not realize how terrible that story was? FFXIII-2 seems to be using the same gimmick. I think Toriyama showed that when he tries to write anything related to
time paradoxes
the results are disastreous.

hirokazu

Latest news sounds pretty good. I'm getting pretty hyped for this game.

Still not too keen on the DLC though. I wanted DLC like extra missions and stuff that would otherwise not be released, not extra weapons, equipment and items that they might've put on disc but withheld so as to make us pay for them. :/

Perfo

Apparently in the game the farthest you can travel back in time it's at the ending of XIII. I thought they were going for some past-events (war of transgression?), but it appears to not be the case.

Perfo said:
Apparently in the game the farthest you can travel back in time it's at the ending of XIII. I thought they were going for some past-events (war of transgression?), but it appears to not be the case.
Yeah, it's strange because they showed Eden in the trailers. Maybe they rebuild that city in the future or something.

xion4360

DiipuSurotu said:
Yeah, it's strange because they showed Eden in the trailers. Maybe they rebuild that city in the future or something.

or eden wasnt destroyed. It was a flying city afterall.

duckroll

Perfo said:

Indeed. It seems you can't go beyond AF000. :(

Rpgmonkey

One disc is cool news.

What's even cooler though is no more "leader death=game over" and a less strict Crystarium.

If we get all six roles relatively early, between the equipment system, monsters, Crystarium, leader switching, and Paradigm customization, there might actually be a lot of depth and variety to the combat. Looks to be a really good expansion from FFXIII's battle system.

Perfo

duckroll said:
Indeed. It seems you can't go beyond AF000. :(

I guess it's partly a lost chance to dwell more into the lore of the past, but at the same time seems the mechanic itself is not thrown randomly in the game. AF000 is the start of a certain event and so everything starts and returns to it. It has sense.

(yeah yeah, I know, I'm pretending there will be some logic to a Mr.Toriyama's game, just don't look bad at me >.<')

xion4360

im not interested in re-treading any of XIII's exact environments or events, why would I want to return to that time.

Grisby

badcrumble said:
Dammit. I wanted to be able to retcon FF13 out of existence.

Made me spit my coffee out man.

I hope the game doesn't follow the 3rd birthday too much. That game had the worst story of the year. And maybe the last couple years of gaming.

xion4360

duckroll said:
BEFORE that time.

Long before, like war of transgression time would be more interesting if it had an entire game dedicated to that story.

Final Fantasy XIII-3 right there =P

Perfo said:
I don't know about Star Ocean 4, but Last Remnant was full of pre-recorded cutscenes for every important moment in the story :p

Really? I think most of them wasn't, because most of them had framerate issues and all. which wouldn't happened if they were recorded.

Pooya

Perfo said:
I guess it's partly a lost chance to dwell more into the lore of the past , but at the same time seems the mechanic itself is not thrown randomly in the game. AF000 is the start of a certain event and so everything starts and returns to it. It has sense.

There is still a chance :s
if that girl (Yeul apparently in English) is same Yeul in here http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Paddra_Nsu-Yeul she wrote two of the analects in FF13.

Paddra is one of the villages on Pulse (her name, like Vanille and Fang's, includes her village's name) , the party visit it's ruins in FF13. And it's present in FF13-2 too https://member.eu.square-enix.com/e...-final-fantasy-xiii-2-location-yaschas-massif

Notice that her cloths in the trailer looks similar to Vanille's (look at her from the back http://p.twimg.com/AZxMep0CQAA7HhA.png ). She must be many years old >_>

while we won't travel back in time, I think there might be things from the past mentioned somehow somewhere.

Rad-

toleoring said:
- unlike 13-1 where the crystarium system is gradually unlocked along with the story progress, the growth system will be fully open from the beginning this time~~~~

NICE!!!!

Okay I'm starting to warm up to this game...

Perfo

Relaxed Muscle said:
Really? I think most of them wasn't, because most of them had framerate issues and all. which wouldn't happened if they were recorded.

Most of them weren't, but stuff like this surely was: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EqGMDzYBPY&feature=related (god I love the art direction of LR). Sadly, most of the cutscenes were just with people standing firm and no direction at all. I guess the budget was rather small for a project that deserved way more :\

xion4360 said:
Long
Final Fantasy XIII-3 right there =P

Everything can be... but closing a trilogy with events of the past? I can't see that happening.

shiroryu

Ok, leader change, no game over on leader death, and unlocked crystarium has renewed my hope for this one. Don't know how bearable Serah and Noel will be, but hopefully the monsters' personalities make up for it.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I'm not even sure what to think after watching the two trailers.

Part of me is interested in seeing how the characters develop through time traveling, meeting future versions of everyone etc.
But to mirror that, time travel, really SE, after the criticism from some of a convoluted or silly story, you thought time travel was the answer?

Still, I will buy it anyway, I haven't missed a mainline FF console release that isn't a MMO, and I'm not going to start now, regardless of how silly it gets.
At least they seem to be sorting out the mechanics, or are seemingly trying to improve them.

_Xenon_

Banned
360 version is one disc you say? That must be some hardcore video compression. Probably still gonna buy the PS3 version.

And leader change + no gameover on leader death should have been in FF13 day one ... not something I'm too excited about.

jimmypython

did anyone mention that the you CANNOT travel back to the time point before the ending of the first game?

(technically you don't need to do so because
the first paradox happened during the ending and all the things before it aren't changed
)

fernoca

Darn, they did fixed my main complaint from XIII (i.e. party leader dying = game over). :O!

And interesting that the 360 version is one disc, seems they worked on getting more of the game/engine as most of the movies in XIII were real-time cutscenes recorded as movies, probably to hide loading times. This ones were also the ones that looked the worst on 360.

Dunan

DiipuSurotu said:

Cocoon wasn't destroyed, thankfully, and the crystal that surrounds it is on the outer shell; the cities and such are on the inner surface. I'd rather see people continuing to live on Cocoon than see everyone and everything moved down to Pulse.

That could make for a really interesting rivalry but somehow I get the impression that this game will pay more attention to the emotions of their angsty protagonists more than anything.

if its one disc on 360 I hope we don't get compressed to hell and back cut scenes on the ps3.

I hate how some devs just copy and past the compressed 360 cut scenes for the ps3 version.

Not sure if its just lazy devs or a part of MS's "EVERYTHING MUST BE THE SAME ON BOTH PS3 AND 360" rules.

the 1080p crisp as a bag of crisps CG in FFXIII was awesome.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
funkystudent said:
if its one disc on 360 I hope we don't get compressed to hell and back cut scenes on the ps3.

I hate how some devs just copy and past the compressed 360 cut scenes for the ps3 version.

Not sure if its just lazy devs or a part of MS's "EVERYTHING MUST BE THE SAME ON BOTH PS3 AND 360" rules.

The PS3 version should have uncompressed audio and video.

I hope they spend the localisation time re-syncing the voices again. Watching the English trailer was absolutely awful with the out of sync lip flapping.

funkystudent said:

I don't think you understand what you're talking about regarding MS. They have no control over compression and also PS3 is the lead platform, so its not like they're porting it to PS3. You don't need to blame MS or the Xbox all the time.

KingJ2002

funkystudent said:

from what i read in the OP is... the reason why it's on one disc is because there's a ton of real time cut scenes instead of pre-rendered video that eats up space.

i still hope to see some pre-rendered stuff... but considering the development time of this game. I don't expect to see a lot of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom