• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII cutscenes are much higher quality on Xbox One(backwards compatibility).

Whitecrow

Banned
It was challenging, required you to really think about how you balanced your party, every ability (including buffs/debuffs) was useful, and it rewarded you for playing well.

That’s more than you can say for like 95% of turn based JRPGs out there.

I also liked how you were constantly on the edge of chaos. So many times you’d be close to death and you’d have to decide whether to revert your party to defend/healing, or to stick it out and hope you can break your opponent in time and combo the shit out of them.

1000x better than shit like Final Fantasy X where it’s “pick attack from a menu until everything dies” with the occasional “swap in the character who can hurt this enemy”.
Sure. XIII Combat >>> X Combat.

But for EVERYTHING else...

I'm still waiting for the XIII compilation for PS4.
I dont know why SE didnt do it already.

Dada55000

It was challenging, required you to really think about how you balanced your party, every ability (including buffs/debuffs) was useful, and it rewarded you for playing well.

That’s more than you can say for like 95% of turn based JRPGs out there.

I also liked how you were constantly on the edge of chaos. So many times you’d be close to death and you’d have to decide whether to revert your party to defend/healing, or to stick it out and hope you can break your opponent in time and combo the shit out of them.

1000x better than shit like Final Fantasy X where it’s “pick attack from a menu until everything dies” with the occasional “swap in the character who can hurt this enemy”.

What? Combat is complete garbage designed for looks. You could curb stomp everything that isn't one of those big optional mammoth things on autopilot just by having a team switching between full blue to full red once the heat is maxed or whatever the fuck it was called, without ever using the tank, buff or debuff roles. Occasionally you'd switch to a team of full green to heal, rinse repeat. The 6 roles are way too few for an interesting system, and half of them you don't even have to try to use, since using tank/buff/debuff roles on trash mobs is a gigantic waste of time, which is 99% of the fights in the game. And that's the only engaging part of the system, the paradigm switching.

The ATB wait until bar fills and que up your attacks shit is boring beyond belief. The game managed to concentrate the feeling of nothingness that turn-based RPGs tend to have once you realise you aren't doing shit besides fiddling with a menu while the all the cool stuff is canned. Oh look, Lighting sommersault kicked a giant blue bear lion thing in the air and is juggling it in the air with sword attacks! Awesom-, oh wait I put the controller down because I'm not doing anything but drooling at the TV, looking at the shiny like a fucking magpie. It could be a black screen at this point, for all I'm doing. It's actually designed to distract from your own input. Why do you think auto-que exists? Somebody with half a sense realised attack selection was distilled unfun, and that the more someone would manually select attacks, the more they'd realise how nothing their involvement in the game is, so they added the shortcut to keep people from turning on the combat before the paradigm system really started coming into play.

Petrae

GameStop doubled their price on the Final Fantasy XIII games overnight. They went from
$5 each to $10 each. The backwards compatibility tax is real there.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
FF XIII is definitely way better than FF XV. Still FF IX is my favourite, can't wait to play it when it releases on Xbox next year

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Weird I thought the PS3 version had 1080p FMV's?🤔

Doom85

I really enjoyed XIII despite its flaws. Whereas XV left me cold with its main cast (aside from Prompto who was okay, and I liked most of the supporting cast, shame they were mostly underutilized) and I eventually realized all this exploration freedom meant nothing as I didn't care for the combat style (and god, WTF with that magic system) so I don't really mind XIII's linearity in comparison as even if my options were more limited I was enjoying those limited options much more than the wider amount of options in XV. Also, XIII had a lot of great music, whereas XV I just think, "um...I liked that you could play IX's music in the car....."

Also, Sazh is my third favorite FF character (#1 being Vivi from IX, and #2 being Balthier from XII).

That being said, I had no interest in playing the sequels. XIII felt like a conclusive ending to me so I didn't feel the need to see a continuation, and hearing that XIII-2 immediately alters how the first game ended is not a good way to get on my good side. Same reason if I ever play Chrono Cross, I'll pretend it has zero connection to Chrono Trigger as telling me one of the best JRPGs was actually the characters making everything worse is not a good start. And hearing that LR has a pretty lame ending doesn't encourage me either (and just from that image someone showed, oh yay just undo the bittersweet element of XIII's ending, heaven forbid if players have to feel sad about something. Why don't you just resurrect you-know-who from VII while you're at it? Ugh.)

Whitecrow

Banned
I really enjoyed XIII despite its flaws. Whereas XV left me cold with its main cast (aside from Prompto who was okay, and I liked most of the supporting cast, shame they were mostly underutilized) and I eventually realized all this exploration freedom meant nothing as I didn't care for the combat style (and god, WTF with that magic system) so I don't really mind XIII's linearity in comparison as even if my options were more limited I was enjoying those limited options much more than the wider amount of options in XV. Also, XIII had a lot of great music, whereas XV I just think, "um...I liked that you could play IX's music in the car....."

Also, Sazh is my third favorite FF character (#1 being Vivi from IX, and #2 being Balthier from XII).

That being said, I had no interest in playing the sequels. XIII felt like a conclusive ending to me so I didn't feel the need to see a continuation, and hearing that XIII-2 immediately alters how the first game ended is not a good way to get on my good side. Same reason if I ever play Chrono Cross, I'll pretend it has zero connection to Chrono Trigger as telling me one of the best JRPGs was actually the characters making everything worse is not a good start. And hearing that LR has a pretty lame ending doesn't encourage me either (and just from that image someone showed, oh yay just undo the bittersweet element of XIII's ending, heaven forbid if players have to feel sad about something. Why don't you just resurrect you-know-who from VII while you're at it? Ugh.)
Sometimes, prejudices are good, sometimes prejudices are... wrong.
I wouldnt discard playing XIII-2 that fast, even if it 'changes' XIII's ending. It's still a great RPG, with great story and cast, and amazing OST.

Dont do that to yourself : (

Doom85

Sometimes, prejudices are good, sometimes prejudices are... wrong.
I wouldnt discard playing XIII-2 that fast, even if it 'changes' XIII's ending. It's still a great RPG, with great story and cast, and amazing OST.

Dont do that to yourself : (

The problem is that I know XIII-2 ends on a cliffhanger and thus playing LR is kinda necessary. The problem is while XIII-2's gameplay and world do look enticing, absolutely nothing of LR of what I've previewed ever looked good at all, so I don't want to get invested in something that I either get zero resolution towards or have to play a game (LR) I don't want to play to get a resolution that doesn't sound appealing anyway. Yeah, plenty of XIII-2 does look promising, but unfortunately it's wrapped in a package that's ultimately not for me.

Whitecrow

Banned
The problem is that I know XIII-2 ends on a cliffhanger and thus playing LR is kinda necessary. The problem is while XIII-2's gameplay and world do look enticing, absolutely nothing of LR of what I've previewed ever looked good at all, so I don't want to get invested in something that I either get zero resolution towards or have to play a game (LR) I don't want to play to get a resolution that doesn't sound appealing anyway. Yeah, plenty of XIII-2 does look promising, but unfortunately it's wrapped in a package that's ultimately not for me.
Oh well, yeah, that kinda sucks.

I didnt play LR either (it's a crime what they did to lightning), and like you say XIII-2 ending doesnt feel like an end.

However, I got plenty of enjoyement through the journey and had some great moments with it.

I would say it's worth even if the story itself doesnt feel like a fully fledged story.

IMHO, you may be giving that too much importance for what is worth, but I totally respect that = )

FFXIII was the first time I started to temper my expectations for a Final Fantasy game. I'm wondering if I made a mistake not really giving it a pass when it came to XIII-2 and subsequent titles. Sucks I bought it for PS3 though...so I would have to rebuy on Xbox One X.

Here's a question: Is XIII-2 more open world than the linear garbage of XIII? I know it's kinda offtopic because we're discussing XIII right now...but I thought they were gonna bring a bunch of the games to Xbox now, I think X, XII and XIII
Available: FF13 Trilogy, FF15, FF Type 0 HD, World of FF Maxima. Coming soon: FF7, FF9, FF10/10-2 HD, FF12

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I don't get when people clamor to pay money for a current gen re-release of a game they own when a back compatibility service done right does it for free. Now with the added bonus of free graphic enhancements.
This is how I feel about the Tales of Vesperia Remaster coming in Jan. All I wanted forever was it to be BC and instead they decide to re- release it and try to entice me to buy it again. It annoys me to no end and as big of a fan as I am of the series I refuse to pay full price for it again.

On topic I just finished XIII-2 and it looked and played great, I did pick up a couple small performance hitches going into and out of battle that I couldn't recreate. Think I'm going to play WOFF:Maxima before starting LR, as it seems they changed a ton of stuff for LR and I'm not sure if I'm going to enjoy the changes.

Doom85

This is how I feel about the Tales of Vesperia Remaster coming in Jan. All I wanted forever was it to be BC and instead they decide to re- release it and try to entice me to buy it again. It annoys me to no end and as big of a fan as I am of the series I refuse to pay full price for it again.

To be fair, this is the full version that was released on PS3 with additional content and was never localized. So not only is it the full version, but also PS3 owners who got screwed over back then will finally be able to play it (since it's coming out on all current-gen systems so everyone gets a piece of the action). I get why you're upset but understand that if it had continued to be Xbox-exclusive some people would reasonably be upset since the PS3 Vesperia has long been a pretty highly demanded game to be localized during that gen that never happened.

Top Bottom