• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIV Documentary Part #3 - "The New World"

Gunblade47

Neo Member
People that follow FFXIV have probably seen it but this series https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ9CmxaQ3q8&index=1&list=PLL5QTV3Hk60ag1MsSoox4HT5oBemN23vr
feels more fleshed out despite the lack of development perspective.
Deeper from a user perspective as well.

Also has another called "Remnants of a Realm" that is good as well.

Strangely haven't seen this series yet considering I watched their remnants of the realm series but this is really good stuff despite the jokes at the expense of my GOAT. :(

Thanks for sharing!

Shamdeo

AdventurousImpossibleFieldspaniel.gif

SOLDIER

Watching Speakers Network's videos on FFXIV since they were mentioned here (and in the documentary).

So...did Tanaka get fired?

I know that lots of things were out of his hands, pretty much everyone deserves their share of the blame....but I kind of want him to not be allowed near FF games after this.

I thought Toriyama was oblivious, but hoo boy.

Cmagus

Pretty good documentary overall and I think it sums up things from the players perspective just fine. I played the game since it's original 1.0 release and it hits most of the notes. It was a really good experience to play from 1.0 despite it's issues and imo it made a few elements in the new game like Keeper of the Lake and going to Ishgard kind of special since basically every patch was gonna be the patch we would be going to Ishgard but it never happened in 1.0.

Ruff

is the FFXIV story that good? I've played it upto level 27 so far and it feels like nothing spaced out with lots of more nothing so far. I'm guessing it really picks up late game?

Foxxsoxx

is the FFXIV story that good? I've played it upto level 27 so far and it feels like nothing spaced out with lots of more nothing so far. I'm guessing it really picks up late game?

1-50 is pretty much fluff. The story quests after 50 make the story much more interesting and the game after that has pretty decent to good story.

1-50 though, again, is pretty much 'oh no a primal we gotta stop it' and it shows the devs had to rush the story out with 2.0.

Picks up in the 30's and stays pretty heavy afterwards.
Base game had two major end game updates which were heavy story leading to the expansion which is pretty heavy in story itself.

It gets pretty darn good imo.

I loved this last part. I didn't expect that Yoshida interview at the end to be so candidly said, owing in particular to my personal perception that speaking up critically within Japanese corporate structure seems like a breech of etiquette faux pas.

Can't say I disagree with him, though. Square-Enix seems to be on something of a mend, but it's not perfect, and I feel that it would be extremely misguided to become complacent now. I just hope that Yoshida isn't going to suffer any sort of huge backlash at Square for his words in the doc, now public to all. Also feel a bit bad about how exhausted he seems, all these years later, of working on 2.0 and beyond. It truly is a workload that never seems to stop, making MMOs. I hope there are aspects of the success that make it gratifying for the team, because in my eyes on the consumer end, it's been one hell of a turn-around.

I got nothing against people who like FFXIII and even kind of envy the feeling, but between FFXIII and FFXIV 1.0, FF really did feel dead for the vast majority of a generation for me. XIII just wasn't my style either from a story standpoint or a gameplay one, and FFXIV 1.0 was such an upset as a lapsed XI fan hoping to rekindle the feeling of the MMO that started me on MMOs. 2.0 was so great when it came out, server issues aside, and really did a lot to restore my faith in the FF franchise in general. I lapsed out after the first major content patch due to some RL stuff, and just came back about a month ago in anticipation of Stormblood/4.0, and I kind of regret not being there the whole time -- everything I missed out on has seemed pretty great, though I feel like I'm just flying by and getting the tourist version of the experience.

Still, one of my favorite stories in gaming. I bought the collectors edition of 1.0 on day 1 with no beta experience and just blind faith that the team that had nearly a decade of experience on XI couldn't possibly mess it up. That turned south for me quick. 2.0 felt just incredible as a turn-around, and felt like a reasonably modern and good MMO on top of that, as well as a reasonably good FF game as a fan that had previously played XI and was more accepting of the MMO titles as part of the mainline games.

jb1234

Not until the expansions, unfortunately.

Loona

So...did Tanaka get fired?

Not the official terminology for his exit procedure, but functionally it appears to have been the case.

I know that lots of things were out of his hands, pretty much everyone deserves their share of the blame....but I kind of want him to not be allowed near FF games after this.

I thought Toriyama was oblivious, but hoo boy.

Tanaka seems like a harder person to deal with than Yoshida, and I wouldn't be surprised if that contributed to poison the well for XI both inside and outside SE - it's baffling how XI hasn't used the potential for collaborations with other SE game like XIV ARR has, and I can't help but wonder if it was because of people at SE not wanting to deal with the guy, and therefore leaving XI alone in its corner.

As a peculiar example of Tanakaness, he was invited to speak in a Famitsu broadcast to celebrate XI's 15th anniversary, but used that to plug his unrelated game project instead.

Compare that with the Sakaguchi segment in the same broadcast, considering he's been away from the project even longer.

SOLDIER

Not the official terminology for his exit procedure, but functionally it appears to have been the case.

Tanaka seems like a harder person to deal with than Yoshida, and I wouldn't be surprised if that contributed to poison the well for XI both inside and outside SE - it's baffling how XI hasn't used the potential for collaborations with other SE game like XIV ARR has, and I can't help but wonder if it was because of people at SE not wanting to deal with the guy, and therefore leaving XI alone in its corner.

As a peculiar example of Tanakaness, he was invited to speak in a Famitsu broadcast to celebrate XI's 15th anniversary, but used that to plug his unrelated game project instead.

Compare that with the Sakaguchi segment in the same broadcast, considering he's been away from the project even longer.

I mean, even if you can momentarily convince yourself that the Japanese devs were severly out of touch regarding modern MMOs ("World of What-Craft?"), the decisions they made in 1.0 go beyond baffling, almost reaching intentional sabotage. It doesn't even match FFXI during its 1.0 phase, because there were no auto attacks, no Chocobos, no shops.....combine that with the server-side menu, the absurd cooldowns just to do quests and gain exp, the copy/paste assets...

Just recalling all that stuff through these videos almost made me want to put down Stormblood. They all admitted the errors of their ways and gave us ARR, but man...you almost don't want to forgive them.

Falchion

Just finished part 1. Going to blow through 2 and 3 this weekend. I never played XIV but the story is fascinating.

Really makes me wanna play it

Same here. But then I realise I don't have enough time to get through my backlog as is and that kinda goes out the window. Maybe one day.

Anyway, fantastic documentary. The first episode was obviously the strongest but the other two were decent as well. Loved the access Danny had to YoshiP, the other devs and even Matsuda.

I mean, even if you can momentarily convince yourself that the Japanese devs were severly out of touch regarding modern MMOs ("World of What-Craft?"), the decisions they made in 1.0 go beyond baffling, almost reaching intentional sabotage. It doesn't even match FFXI during its 1.0 phase, because there were no auto attacks, no Chocobos, no shops.....combine that with the server-side menu, the absurd cooldowns just to do quests and gain exp, the copy/paste assets...

Just recalling all that stuff through these videos almost made me want to put down Stormblood. They all admitted the errors of their ways and gave us ARR, but man...you almost don't want to forgive them.

i feel like back before 1.0 came out, there was some rumor that they rushed it out to release before WoW: Cataclysm. i can't remember where i read it or how that rumor even got started, but i always wondered if that played a factor in why so much stuff was copy/pasted, missing, etc.

adversarial

Yoshi P and co truly did something amazing. They deserve endless praise, Post-ARR FFXIV is legit one of the best MMO's I've played. Incredible turn around. They deserve recognition.

Wilsongt

There are still people who want to bring back some aspects of 1.23b in this game... Mainly the way gathering works, some battle system parts, and a few other things.

I know why they went balls to the way in 1.x because they had nothing to really lose anymore. Now Yoshi and his team have gotten into this repetitive, redundent pattern in the way the patches and expansions work.

Would be nice if they threw a decent twist on things into the mix.

We'll see how the raid is in the next couple of weeks

SOLDIER

I really do wish they would add more variety to the quests: at this point I feel no excitement riding a unique mount to go attack an enemy with my ridiculously OP blast (that I can't even use on non-quest enemies). Don't even get me started on "talk to X number of NPCs/gather X amount of items in this circle on the map".

That and I also really wish they had a way for you to replay quests. So many awesome instanced battles that I would love to experience again, but can only do once.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
There are still people who want to bring back some aspects of 1.23b in this game... Mainly the way gathering works, some battle system parts, and a few other things.

I know why they went balls to the way in 1.x because they had nothing to really lose anymore. Now Yoshi and his team have gotten into this repetitive, redundent pattern in the way the patches and expansions work.

Would be nice if they threw a decent twist on things into the mix.

We'll see how the raid is in the next couple of weeks

Well I mean 4.0 did almost completely alter many classes and their playstyles. 3.0 also did kind of the same for many of them too. Not quite the change you may be thinking about(unclear on what 1.23 did exactly), but there is tremendous thought and consideration in place for shaking the foundation a bit.

I do sort of see your point though, SB is largely good but familiar content. Arguably I would like to see incentives for revisiting old content again as the "consume and forget" mentality is really damaging to MMO's. No matter how large these worlds grow over time, the populated areas inversely shrink.

I'm in 2.4 and still bored to tears. Your mileage may vary, I suppose.

You may already be aware, but shit is about to get real. You're close.

I'm in 2.4 and still bored to tears. Your mileage may vary, I suppose.

2.0 This is cute, it's been so long since I've played a final fantasy game this one seems like a harmless little throwback to the series.
2.1-2.4 Okay the real shit is that raid, that's awesome stuff. But the game is alright, story wise there's nothing that cool going on but it's clearly leading to something.
2.5 Wait holy.... what!
3.0-3.3 This is pretty awesome, I'm fully invested into this!
3.4 Dude, dude that was crazy.
3.5 Eh, hope the expansion is worth the wait
4.0 This is my third favorite final fantasy period, oh my god this is thrilling through and through.

I admit I felt parts 2 and 3 were too lean on content compared to part 1.

I understand the lack of more interviews in part 1.. there probably were not all that many people willing to be interviewed or that square would allow to talk about it inside the company.

I hope there is at least an extended interview w/ Yosihida like he had w/ Hugo Martin @ id.. he interviewed the man for 6 hours over the span of 3 days.. there's got to be a lot of stuff that didn't make it into the doc.

One thing im thinking after the full thing is they really need that UI/art dude to be given a passover of Dissidia's HUD before release...
like now.

Top Bottom