• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Pachimari

This Yokai Watch event is such a grind.. And there's only NPC characters around to help me out during FATE's, cause everybody's asleep on Ultros lol.

Kaname

I ran several dungons with a bard that didn't foes with a smn and a dpsing sch in the party. Ans they were from my fc.

Then I ran a dusk city with a thm. Yes thm. No crystal equpped. They were kicked.

When you're so proud of your NEET life that you refuse to get a Job even in the game lol

Pachimari

I'm really liking these wings:

butler.png

But worth $30? Wish I could buy the wings separate in the store or something.

Seems like reactive proc abilities like Firestarter and Rain of Blood are on the chopping block. Thank fuck, I hate that shit.

On the hotbar thing I reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally hope they'll get rid of some older abilities in favor of new ones.

Elman

DRK on a controller is already rubik cube tanking...

Well, I'm not using my feet yet, so I could start binding stuff to my steering wheel pedals I guess.

...in all seriousness - can this be done? Part of the reason I quit around 2.3 is because I developed carpal tunnel from binding Shift, Alt, and Control as buttons on my mouse, just to accommodate a zillion actions and items.

Using pedals would be a godsend with KB and mouse, maybe even better with a controller if it lets you bind combinations like Shift + Square, etc.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/4zhfg0/famitsu_long_interview_famitsu_needs_to_ask/

Y. Basically it's a game so there is no right answer, so i have a root feeling where i think players should be able to play as they like, so i think being able to do the basic rotation or not isn't a factor people should be blamed for. Also, getting grumpy over that everytime you encounter them is meaningless and in my case, i have a mentality where i try to work hard to cover what that person lacks and clear the content as fast as possible. If that person is using the same job as me, there are times where i give them advice. In japan it might be a little hard to use your words, but since it's a game you play with others, i'd like it to be the take it easy type of atmosphere. However, we understand the rotations to pull out the full potential of the jobs have become substantially higher and the gap in skills between players has rapidly expanded and we think that is a problem. With that said, the difficulty of each job will be hugely changed when the next expansion releases. A lot of the 3.x rotations require instant judgements during combat and i felt that was space for improvement, but we regret the gap became too large.

"Skillcap is a problem."

Apparently, another EU region butler/maid promo thing starts today. A/NZ this time, via some online anime shop.

No shipping outside of the region for this... /cry

iammeiam

I came to post this, but mostly because of the question:

Q. Now let's get into the "We need to ask Yoshida this" questions. The hall of the novice was introduced and tutorial for each of the jobs are there, but there is nothing that helps new players grasp rotations that are useful in combat, so sometimes i see people who use wierd rotations. Can't you provide a system that covers these players who want to polish their skills mate?

"The game is shit about teaching people how their jobs should work. Can you add systems to help people learn?"

"no lol its a video game nobody should have to worry what buttons do"

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I came to post this, but mostly because of the question:

"The game is shit about teaching people how their jobs should work. Can you add systems to help people learn?"

"no lol its a video game nobody should have to worry what buttons do"

csbkszl.jpg

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Idk how your suppose to teach the complex rotations. Like my blackmage is like:
swiftcast
Sharpcast
Enochian
Raging strikes
Thunder 3
Thunder 3
Fey lines
Fire 3
Fire 4 fire 4 fire 4
Blizzard 3
Blizzard 4

Repeat from fire 3 and add thunder 3s when needed.

I also still dont know the optimal rotations for machinist since they give you twice as many skills at lvl 30.

Leunam

Machinist rotation is a little odd because it's not a simple 1-2-3 it's more about managing procs and using ammunition correctly. I leveled mine to 60 just because it's a fun departure from NIN, MNK, and DRG.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
swiftcast
Sharpcast
Enochian
Raging strikes
Thunder 3
Thunder 3
Fey lines
Fire 3
Fire 4 fire 4 fire 4
Blizzard 3
Blizzard 4

Repeat from fire 3 and add thunder 3s when needed.

I also still dont know the optimal rotations for machinist since they give you twice as many skills at lvl 30.

In steps.
I know it's a problem with BLM that Fire 4 just basically blows up your entire rotation and you have to start from scratch.

MCH at 30 is "put up your buff, spread your dots, 1-2". So basically the same as ANY other DPS class at 30. All it takes is looking at the skills for 5 minutes.
Then the principal rotation sets in by level 40 and you have 20 levels to get used to it while a few new skills come in.
It's incredibly disturbing that Yoshida himself is pushing for the "players don't need to make the effort to understand the job or spend 30 minutes in google looking it up" approach.

MCH isn't even hard.

iammeiam

MCH playstyle is crazy easy. While there's minmax stuff going on, the job boils down to (and you can do passable DPS TBH) by: Keep up Hot and Lead shot. Use Reload/Quick Reload on CD. Sync buffs to WildFire. Use Reassemble on proc'd Clean Shot. Use other damage skills on CD.

It won't be optimal. You won't be perfect. But you'll be considerably better than a lot of people who don't realize Hot/Lead Shot need to be up always and you'll be in the general arena of how the job works. But over the course of 30 levels and multiple job quests, the game has tons of opportunities to communicate this to the player it chooses not to use.

The problem is Yoshida was asked if he'd have the game explain this stuff, and said no.

Valor

In steps.
I know it's a problem with BLM that Fire 4 just basically blows up your entire rotation and you have to start from scratch.

This happens to almost every single ARR job that isn't Paladin or Monk. Every other class has crazy changes that play very differently from ARR. Monk is, I feel, one of the only classes that drastically improve from 50 to 60. I think they really nailed this one and it's easily the class I enjoy playing the most. But only at 60.

I think the issue becomes how do you go about implementing a Mogster style teaching session about how to play your job, and I do think the eventual answer you will arrive at if you give it some thought is to simply make the rotations easier and less complex.

This is disappointing because I also subscribe to the mindset of the game being more fun when there's more stuff to do more often in terms of button pressing. I hope they can strike a balance between ease of use and "richness" of gameplay.

The problem with proc abilities is that you do need to make a decision on when to use them and there is a strictly wrong choice in several cases that lower your dps. Firestarter was amazing at 50. Less so at 60. At least that's my outside opinion as someone who doesn't really play level 60 BLM. Bloodletter/RoD is great and all, but it's gonna become a little ridiculous as crit scales. Finding a new way to make bard work at (presumably) 70 should be a high priority for them. Also sounds like hopefully they kill off cast times for Bard/Machinist.

Ken

NIN didn't change much from 50 IMO. Most of our new abilities were offense and support OGCDs so you just pressed them as they come up. Armor Crush even simplified Huton upkeep.

The problem with explaining how jobs work is that it needs to assume people actually want to learn and thats a big issue. There's just a lot of people that have no intention of getting better at the game, you can make super in depth tutorials and teach stuff like slidecasting but you're still gonna get level 60 DRGs that don't use Disembowel or BOTD because they simply don't give a shit. That's just the reality of this game's community.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I played DRG at the 2.55-3.0 transition and I don't think DRG rotation really changed all that much despite getting the whole BotD thing. In fact, it got easier in some respects.
Healers didn't really change the way they play, they just got a few new buttons to do things they're already doing.

Ogawa-san

I could put up with a whole extra crossbar at 70 if they did something about dps being so much about watching timers like a hawk.

Enochian sums up quite nicely why I'm almost 60 with all jobs and still can't pick a dps one to gear up. Even something minor like Hot Shot annoys me, it's there just to give you an extra timer to watch, button to press and make you feel you're losing something if you don't.

...in all seriousness - can this be done? Part of the reason I quit around 2.3 is because I developed carpal tunnel from binding Shift, Alt, and Control as buttons on my mouse, just to accommodate a zillion actions and items.

Using pedals would be a godsend with KB and mouse, maybe even better with a controller if it lets you bind combinations like Shift + Square, etc.
Oh, it's a thing.

Pedal modifiers would be you a hell of a learning curve though.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
The problem with explaining how jobs work is that it needs to assume people actually want to learn and thats a big issue. There's just a lot of people that have no intention of getting better at the game, you can make super in depth tutorials and teach stuff like slidecasting but you're still gonna get level 60 DRGs that don't use Disembowel or BOTD because they simply don't give a shit. That's just the reality of this game's community.
When everyone else had full time jobs i didnt know you also had to level archer to 15 to get a black mage job until i looked it up.

iammeiam

Which is fine, but a.) should you have to give a shit to do endgame content? and b.) The game's mindset actively encourages this approach because it does not even try at any point to teach this stuff.

You shouldn't have to go to Google or run a parser that's technically against the rules or math of potencies by hand to figure out how the job the game is giving you works. It should be the game's job to at least attempt to teach you. The people making the game should try.

Doing both--shaving the top off the skill gap and trying to raise the bottom by actually giving people the tools to understand what's up--would make sense.

But lol nah.

ebil

Healers DPSing is something that has existed as far back as 2.0. I was DPSing in T2 and T4 as a SCH and people would look at me like I was an alien for even thinking of contributing.

I've already complained about this, but one of the problems with 3.0 is that healers (and to an extent, tanks) got too powerful vs required throughput. The only tank buster that got me a little bit scared was Hypercompressed Plasma back in Gordias week 1, and I feel it's a problem when I just pop Adlo (most of the time I don't even have to bother) and Cleric away. Compared to Death Sentence, Bahamut's Claw, Flare Breath or Akh Morn, every tank buster with a cast bar in 3.0 feels like it hits like a wet noodle and I don't have to manage my tank's health.

The required throughput to clear any fight is too small. There's very little incidental damage and spot healing to be done in FF14 (and it's usually managed by Eos), damage is super spikey and easily covered with AOE and CD healing. This is becoming a problem to me as I often don't really feel like I need to heal very much, even when "main" healing as WHM or AST.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Healers DPSing is something that has existed as far back as 2.0. I was DPSing in T2 and T4 as a SCH and people would look at me like I was an alien for even thinking of contributing.

One of the problems with 3.0 is that healers (and to an extent, tanks) got too powerful vs required throughput. The only tank buster that got me a little bit scared was Hypercompressed Plasma back in Gordias week 1, and I feel it's a problem when I just pop Adlo (most of the time I don't even have to bother) and Cleric away. Compared to Death Sentence, Bahamut's Claw, Flare Breath or Akh Morn, every tank buster in 3.0 feels like it hits like a wet noodle and I don't have to manage my tank's health.

The required throughput to clear any fight is too small. There's very little incidental damage and spot healing to be done in FF14, damage is super spikey and easily covered with AOE and CD healing. This is becoming a problem to me as I often don't really feel like I need to heal very much, even when main healing.
Then theres the problem of sephirot where the rocks ads can still kill your mt if your not careful about healing. This has happen three times already and it sucks as a black mage because your always next in line for getting punched for 10000 hp.

Valor

NIN didn't change much from 50 IMO. Most of our new abilities were offense and support OGCDs so you just pressed them as they come up. Armor Crush even simplified Huton upkeep.
That's true. I always forget about how much nothing Ninja got aside from Huton. I mean the abilities are useful, yeah, but... not exciting?

I played DRG at the 2.55-3.0 transition and I don't think DRG rotation really changed all that much despite getting the whole BotD thing. In fact, it got easier in some respects.
Healers didn't really change the way they play, they just got a few new buttons to do things they're already doing.
Even though the basic rotato of drg is more or less the same (HT>CT>Phleb>FT) Gierskogul usage is a large skill gap, not to mention hitting your BotD positionals. It fundamentally changed drg so much that they needed to adjust HT's timer to accommodate it nicely.

I was talking about real classes. Not healers.

ebil

Then theres the problem of sephirot where the rocks ads can still kill your mt if your not careful about healing. This has happen three times already and it sucks as a black mage because your always next in line for getting punched for 10000 hp.
Maybe we've just become good at the game, I don't know. I was solo healing that fight week 1 as a WHM. That being said, that portion of the fight is one of the more exciting things I've had to heal in all of 3.0's content, which is a little bit sad.

Which job goes along well with being an Archer?
You'll want to level up Lancer to get Invigorate and Blood for Blood and Pugilist for the rest of your cross-class abilities. Remember to unlock Bard at level 30.

Which is fine, but a.) should you have to give a shit to do endgame content? and b.) The game's mindset actively encourages this approach because it does not even try at any point to teach this stuff.

You shouldn't have to go to Google or run a parser that's technically against the rules or math of potencies by hand to figure out how the job the game is giving you works. It should be the game's job to at least attempt to teach you. The people making the game should try.

Doing both--shaving the top off the skill gap and trying to raise the bottom by actually giving people the tools to understand what's up--would make sense.

But lol nah.
Oh, definitely. Yoshi's stance on parsing is asinine, you just can't expect people to clear something like Hummel without giving them real tools to gauge how far behind they are.

I've already complained about this, but one of the problems with 3.0 is that healers (and to an extent, tanks) got too powerful vs required throughput. The only tank buster that got me a little bit scared was Hypercompressed Plasma back in Gordias week 1, and I feel it's a problem when I just pop Adlo (most of the time I don't even have to bother) and Cleric away. Compared to Death Sentence, Bahamut's Claw, Flare Breath or Akh Morn, every tank buster with a cast bar in 3.0 feels like it hits like a wet noodle and I don't have to manage my tank's health.

The required throughput to clear any fight is too small. There's very little incidental damage and spot healing to be done in FF14 (and it's usually managed by Eos), damage is super spikey and easily covered with AOE and CD healing. This is becoming a problem to me as I often don't really feel like I need to heal very much, even when "main" healing as WHM or AST.
Not only do tank busters hit for less but they hit less often and in super predetermined spots that give you ample room to do fuck all in between.

Cmagus

The games design teaches them this though. The game is real quick to just hand people stuff that instead of getting better most would rather just wait for the nerf and get a quick clear.

The other issue is there are plenty of people who do wanna learn who may take a little longer but many don't get the help they need to get better and usually end up getting a bunch of hard asses jumping down their throats. It's just a reality on most NA servers. I've seen so many people kicked because they parse low and instead of being like hey your parsing low and giving them some advice and some practice it's usually just a quick dismissal and I mean parsing on a dummy in this game will only get your so far when you need to actually deal with the fight mechanics itself as well.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
The games design teaches them this though. The game is real quick to just hand people stuff that instead of getting better most would rather just wait for the nerf and get a quick clear.

The other issue is there are plenty of people who do wanna learn who may take a little longer but many don't get the help they need to get better and usually end up getting a bunch of hard asses jumping down their throats. It's just a reality on most NA servers. I've seen so many people kicked because they parse low and instead of being like hey your low and giving them some advice and a shot it's usually just a quick dismissal and I mean parsing on a dummy in this game will only get your so far when you need to actually deal with the fight mechanics itself as well.
I have the tried that stone sky wind dummy for my dps check but havent tried the specific boss ones. Are they different or just have higher hp?

On a unrelated note, if you completed the Zodiac relic was it possible to turn it in and start the Anima relic for a different job? I'm thinking of going through the Anima questline since I won't be able to raid much in 3.4 so if that happens again I'm a step ahead of the next relic line.

The other issue is there are plenty of people who do wanna learn who may take a little longer but many don't get the help they need to get better and usually end up getting a bunch of hard asses jumping down their throats. It's just a reality on most NA servers. I've seen so many people kicked because they parse low and instead of being like hey your parsing low and giving them some advice and some practice it's usually just a quick dismissal and I mean parsing on a dummy in this game will only get your so far when you need to actually deal with the fight mechanics itself as well.
Oh, definitely. Sure there's a lot of stubborn people that refuse to get better, but at the same time there's a lot of elitist pricks that don't want to "carry".

ebil

A lot of people legit don't want to get better though. I can think of two people from my FC on top of my head who regularly do dreadful DPS (I'm talking about 600 DPS BRD/NIN, 300-lower-than-Garuda DPS MCH) and have turned down every opportunity when I offered to teach them how to optimize (because I'm being sensitive and won't try to harm them by telling them they're doing terrible) their rotation and DPS.

These are people who want to clear Savage content. These are people who got ACT but won't use it because "they're not feeling like they're doing that bad, so why bother".

The game is real quick to just hand people stuff that instead of getting better most would rather just wait for the nerf and get a quick clear.
Yeah, I feel like this is a problem as well. I went into A3s last week with 4 (average) newcomers and half my group, and when we cleared on the second pull they were like "That's it? That's the fight you guys spent 3 months on?". That didn't feel super rewarding for them or for us.

I have the tried that stone sky wind dummy for my dps check but havent tried the specific boss ones. Are they different or just have higher hp?
Just higher HP. Which is kind of hilarious because it means that there's an optimal SSS 3 minutes rotation that you don't need to deviate from to clear the dummies.

Cmagus

The stone dummies are all the same they just have different HP and are tweaked to what you should be hitting to meet a dps check.

The stone dummies are ok to see if you meet a DPS check but again with those you aren't having to deal with actual in game mechanics. If you take a class like BLM, it's easy to stand there and wreck the dummy but in a real situation there is always the chance that you could get terrible luck and need to move a lot, it happens and sometimes your DPS might dip because of it which is something you can't experience with those dummies.

Personally with those dummies I would say if you can't defeat them but hit around 5% or less you'll be fine for DPS check in a fight. For me if I parse on the dummies I find that during an actual fight I always parse much higher and maybe that's because during an actual fight there is more pressure and you need to really push it for the rest of your team.

Oh, definitely. Sure there's a lot of stubborn people that refuse to get better, but at the same time there's a lot of elitist pricks that don't want to "carry".

That's certainly an issue, if you die or wipe people seem to get the idea that they don't wanna "carry" you because you can't one shot the content they've cleared many times. Now I can understand if the person is continuously wiping to the same thing and after a full run of the time or isn't showing an improvement or is being stubborn and not wanting to take advice then yes they're a waste of time but if they are enthusiastic enough to ask questions and get better they should be given some time. You can generally tell when someone wants to learn and those are the people you shouldn't just dismiss which unfortunately happens and let's be real this game is easy for the most part so here you have people thinking they're doing amazing and then you throw them in savage and the difficulty goes through the roof which they aren't expecting.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
In patch 3.4, new crafter recipes will include weapons as well, as a "test to see if it's viable to give players overmeldable weapons that can be used to challenge the raid dungeon early on". Difficulty of Alexander 3 to be on the same level as regular Coil in general (he literally says if you're been able to complete all parts of Coil you'll be able to complete this no problem). FFXV crossover event to come some time after the game's release when general public has become familiarized with the story and characters of that game in particular.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201608/26114162.html?page=2

Frumix

Suffering From Success
BETWEEN SECOND AND FINAL COIL.

At this point nothing Yoshida says re: difficulty, Alex, and coil can be taken seriously. It'll be whatever it is.

I mean, they promised to relax DPS checks and so they did, and now they're promising to relax the dances as well so it's gonna be pretty much FCOB.
Final turn could be a thing like it always is but rotations are hard apparently so

Edit: Actually now that I look at it he specifically mentions that "coordination-related difficulty" will be lowered.

Top Bottom