• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riposte

Yea I'll need to get AF for MNK, WAR, BRD and PLD in the next few days, Dot has been pretty dead lately :(

I've been bashing my head against Armored Core V's multiplayer. I was struggling to complete my DRG Artifact armor because I can't solo my way to one of the boxes lol.

Teknoman

Officially back in action...and damn there are ALOT of warriors now. One imperial skirmish, and all I see are a bunch of horns and a flurry of axe slashes lol.

Gonna attempt to finish up my backlog, get back up to speed in XIV, and play Xenoblade among other things...especially before Diablo 3 hits lol.

If you're trying to get WAR stuff I can help out when I get home (though I get home late, like 2:30am in Arizona).

I've been working a lot lately and the time I do have has been sucked into another playthrough of Dark Souls and Tales of Vesperia but I'll try to get back on a bit more often. XD

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I bet they will make an ultra hard battle this time :D

Jinko

Edited for the english post

Naoki_Yoshida said:
Producer/Director Yoshida here,

Thanks for everyone's comment regarding 2.0!

I was originally planning to keep quiet for a little longer until we were ready to release some solid information regarding 2.0, but I have changed my mind. Let me take a moment to release some initial bits of information on the forums (Going to add a link and comment in the next producer letter as well)

As you may all know, you often found the community reps responding with "In 2.0", or "It will come post 2.0", or "It will come with the release of 2.0"

To clarify, all of these questions/answers go through my approval before it is released to the public. If a certain topic fits one of the criteria listed below, the reps will respond with “it will be implemented” or “it will be fixed.”

Content that has already implemented in 2.0's server/client
Content that has their specifications finalized and currently being implemented
Content that has their specifications finalized and planned to be implemented
Content that is planned to be implemented in updates after the launch of 2.0

We are currently working on the promotional site for 2.0 to prepare for this year’s E3 that will take place on June 5th. Additionally, we are in the final stages of a new video that we have been working on. Everything around me is pretty hectic with tasks related either 2.0 or the Seventh Umbral Era.

We will also be starting a new promotion at the end of the month so please look forward to that as well.

After E3, we will be releasing new information in stages. Please be advised that the promotion will also target new players who have never seen or played FFXIV so it will include content you may all be already familiar with. Don’t worry; I’m planning to include new content for the existing players too. Stay tuned!

There are a lot of features we haven't talked about yet as well:

In 2.0’s Character Creation, you can change female character’s bust _____
You can change the length of a Miqo’te's ___
Each race will start with its own starting gear
Letters and Deliveries will be delivered by the familiar ________
Benchmark program is being remade for 2.0
When you first play 2.0, the 2D world map is covered and you will have to actually travel to that part of the map to unlock it
New characters and primals will be added to the main scenario

I should stop here. If I say any more, I’m going to give Morbol and Kato a heart attack (or they might just kill me). Either way, we will be releasing movies with lots of in-game footage, so for now stay tuned and enjoy the fight against the threat of the Seventh Umbral Era.

Oh, and Dalamud looks even more insane in patch 1.22

Allard

So new promotion at the end of this month. Sweet!

The blind map feature is awesome.

Wonder how they plan to implement it, will it be purely like WoW and other modern MMO's where when you reach a key destination it fills in all parts of the map that relate to that destination or will it be you have to actually 'see' (With you view finder on your mini map) all parts of the map and it slowly fills it in? I'd actually love it to be the latter even if it will be more cumbersome because it forces people to actually look at the entire map rather then just approach certain sections of the map. Likewise it needs to be obvious what sections of the map haven't been discovered and what has. SWTOR has something similar to what I just wrote but if you miss a small area it can become very difficult to figure out what exactly you missed later on because the colors seem to blend into each other.

Glad they confirmed gameplay video at E3 and although I knew they would/should do it, its also nice to hear they are going to make a new promotional site for 2.0. It should make it easier for them to put out more timely updates for 2.0 as we get closer to launch much like how built up in FFXI as we got closer and closer to an expansion release. In fact I think what kept me playing FFXI for so long is hype longing for new info on what was coming next, the test server kind of killed that XD.

Allard

I hope there'll be some sort of achievements when you find secret or hidden places.

I'm sure they will, that exploration achievement tab is pretty bare looking right now :) And since jump is coming with 2.0 they can easily make a secret spot that you can only get to via platforming, I just wonder if they are going to make something as hard as that hill in Attowa Chasm in FFXI XD I have painful memories of that hill.

Speaking of the end of the month... I wonder if we are going to get an update soon on 'if' that dateline is still achievable for 1.22, we have started getting the information trickle for the next update but it seems like the end of the month is fast approaching. Also I'm really curious how 'big' Dalmund is going to get in 1.22, will we see the sky a constant red/orange haze :O?

Jinko

I'm expecting the patch to hit on the 27th, we are getting a new producer letter on the 23rd and Golden week starts at the beginning of May.

Yoshi-p said he wanted to get 1.22 out before golden week.

:D

As for the map revealing mechanic, I would like it to be something like a grid at a time on the main map, I really think that would add a sense of adventure and discovery to the game, adding achievements would be a nice way to encourage people to do so also.

I just wonder if they are going to make something as hard as that hill in Attowa Chasm in FFXI XD I have painful memories of that hill.

NO NO no... !

Allard

It has been years, but I'm pretty sure you could drop me in Attohwa Chasm and I'd still do that shit no problem.

It takes practice and patience but the issue was getting more then 1 person up that hill for the key items. Thanks to collision detection in game you could accidentally veer off course due to someone stopping and fall off the side and need to start all over again. Obviously that's not a problem in this game since they removed person to person collision detection but the limited space you had on the narrow path was frustrating, a good kind of frustrating but frustrating none the less.

The official rep translation of the Yoshida post is out by the way and it made it bit easier to understand where they are going with the promotional material. It looks like we should expect a PR campaign to start at the end of the month for 2.0 and the campaign will target not just those still playing or stopped playing but those that have never played or shown any interest with it before. The new promotional site they are making will be designed to explain everything about the game and not just 2.0, from the armory system to crafting its about getting new people to understand the basic mechanics of the game while supplying the new info on 2.0.

Salaadin

Is there a good spot to read up on the changes in this game since they changed up the staff working on it?

Im curious. I might come back to try it out some while the monthly fee is still low.

Jinko

Is there a good spot to read up on the changes in this game since they changed up the staff working on it?

Im curious. I might come back to try it out some while the monthly fee is still low.

You would be best to read over the last 3-4 patch notes, they are very long but you would probably get a good idea of what has changed then.

Jijidasu

Posted a thread related to glass and transparency (as seen in old engine videos) for FFXIV 2.0 here. I'd really like a response from one of the developers in regards to how this would be handled and put into practice.

If you agree that this is important for immersion and fancy yourself a bit of a whore when it comes to macro detail, support me in this thread!

ZiZ

Posted a thread related to glass and transparency (as seen in old engine videos) for FFXIV 2.0 here. I'd really like a response from one of the developers in regards to how this would be handled and put into practice.

If you agree that this is important for immersion and fancy yourself a bit of a whore when it comes to macro detail, support me in this thread!

forget glass transparency. we want High Five emotes.

Cmagus

icYqU06sENNzf.jpg

iOf2pBPS8WZpO.jpg

iglc0FeM8jwZ9.jpg

ib10TdcN5fiLwX.jpg

I loved that design as well. There is a chance that that spot can still exists somewhere in the world but I would imagine somewhere that is a bit more peaceful. Maybe that is a garlean empire marketplace.

Anno

Couple newb questions:

1: I got the game to try to get back to the type of MMO where I just stock up on supplies and head out into the wild world to explore and defeat enemies as opposed to grinding quests. Through the first couple hours quests seem pleasantly rare and at least somewhat interesting story wise. How badly would I be hamstringing myself by not actively seeking out unimportant quests?

2: Within that constriction, is there a good way to make gil? Items seem rather expensive, and random monster loot doesn't sell for much. Would it be easier to just become a crafter to make my own weapons and armor and maybe sell some as well?

Overall I'm really enjoying things though. Right before I typed this up a large dust storm kicked up outside of Ul'dah. Cool touches like that really make for a good atmosphere. Lots of people around, too, I assume due to the recent mergers.

Jinko

Couple newb questions:

1: I got the game to try to get back to the type of MMO where I just stock up on supplies and head out into the wild world to explore and defeat enemies as opposed to grinding quests. Through the first couple hours quests seem pleasantly rare and at least somewhat interesting story wise. How badly would I be hamstringing myself by not actively seeking out unimportant quests?

Well the majority of your XP at low levels should ideally come from leve quests, but it is possible to grind away on monster (probably better in a group though)

2: Within that constriction, is there a good way to make gil? Items seem rather expensive, and random monster loot doesn't sell for much. Would it be easier to just become a crafter to make my own weapons and armor and maybe sell some as well?

Again leve quests give gil as rewards, mobs don't drop much in the way of gil anymore, leves also have random gear rewards also.

I would suggest gathering as a way to make money, crafting doesn't really make money at low level.

Allard

I loved that design as well. There is a chance that that spot can still exists somewhere in the world but I would imagine somewhere that is a bit more peaceful. Maybe that is a garlean empire marketplace.

I'm guessing Limsa was the final format of the Tech Demo city since the bridges are very, very similar to that demo and its of course a city of bridges around a water front, the actual main architecture is of course very different and I definitely prefer the tech demo version just because how open it feels with all the glass. I don't know what the final 'look' of the graphic engine will be for 2.0 but one of the biggest changes to the graphics system that Yoshida has commented on is the new lightning engine. Instead of pre-baked lighting on all the walls and environmental objects, they will actually cast dynamic shadows in this new engine so that should be a step closer toward transparency on the glass but transparency also depends largely on the shaders the development employs on top of the lighting.

Teknoman

I'm guessing Limsa was the final format of the Tech Demo city since the bridges are very, very similar to that demo and its of course a city of bridges around a water front, the actual main architecture is of course very different and I definitely prefer the tech demo version just because how open it feels with all the glass. I don't know what the final 'look' of the graphic engine will be for 2.0 but one of the biggest changes to the graphics system that Yoshida has commented on is the new lightning engine. Instead of pre-baked lighting on all the walls and environmental objects, they will actually cast dynamic shadows in this new engine so that should be a step closer toward transparency on the glass but transparency also depends largely on the shaders the development employs on top of the lighting.

The mine environments should look amazing in that case, especially Aurum.

hteng

Banned
so out of boredom i reactivated my character, i'm still in the gunsmith cats LS since the early days, i don't see anyone around. Is the gaf guild still around? heck i can barely recognize anyone or anything, this game's completely transformed.

i can't even remember if i'm still on the same server as before.

Teknoman

^
Hmm now I recall we used to be on linblum, so did they moved/consolidated us to a new server?

Our server was merged with another to create the current one. And yeah GAF is still around, but its been on and off for awhile (especially for me since I had to get new internet, and then i've been really busy as of late).

Mature

Some market area changes to address server slow down issues:

[dev1359] Market Area Improvements
[dev1360] Addressing Server Slowdown

Lodestone said:
Market Area Improvements
* The following adjustments, scheduled for patch 1.22, are in development and subject to change.
Patch 1.22 will introduce a number of improvements to market areas.
The following locations will be added to each city’s market area:
Limsa Lominsa Mercantile House
Gridania Mercantile House
Ul’dah Mercantile House
In addition, the current item search feature will be moved to the locations mentioned above, and will take place through designated NPCs. This change will allow players to directly purchase items from any city’s market area. For example, a player in Gridania would be able to search for and purchase items from the Ul’dah market area by speaking with an NPC in the Ul’dah Mercantile House.

“Market Guide” NPCs will be added:

In addition to using the existing market area entrances, players will be able to speak with “market guides” around town to travel directly to each Mercantile House.

It will now be possible to search retainer wares by typing item names into the search field.
* Search results will show all items that start with the entered term.
In other words, you'll be able to find me in Gridania from then on unless I'm shouting/looking for a shout or visiting the flame hall. =)

1.22 is really shaping up!

Jijidasu

Did they ever mention if we will be getting a new cg intro for 2.0? I was just watching the current version for the first time in what, nearly 2 years? That aetheryte plaza in the movie is nice.

Jinko

That's good news, wasn't expecting this until 2.0.

Hope in 1.23 they add filters and the ability to sort by name/level etc but so far so good.

I like the sound of enchanting all they need to do now is change materia into gems and we can start calling this WoW 2. :D

hteng

Banned
so any chance i can get a gaf pearl? or is it still the same as before?

today has been pretty productive for me, i have been stuck at level 45 for god knows how long and today i got like 2 levels doing leves only, also unlocked dragon kick :)

Allard

That's good news, wasn't expecting this until 2.0.

Hope in 1.23 they add filters and the ability to sort by name/level etc but so far so good.

I like the sound of enchanting all they need to do now is change materia into gems and we can start calling this WoW 2. :D

The enchanting seems to be tied directly to the company system or at least that's what I got from that 1.22 outline released a couple weeks ago.

Implementation of buff system for company seal exchange items

This was tied to the Grand Company section of the outline along with new item exchanges for the seals and new company ranks. In other words this system is to buff specific items from grand companies you can't buff with materia using company seals. Yoshida is basically trying to find a system where both methods of acquirement (Exchanged/dropped and crafted gear) have a means to power up at the discretion of the player allowing them to 'grow' in ways they need rather then what the game dictates as set in stone caps.

Mature

My read on that is that enchanted items will become purchasable from Grand Companies and that's all... at least for now.
You don't think it might be the exchange item buff system mentioned in the last producer letter?

It reads:
1.22 -NEW-
Exchange item buff system -NEW-
Implementation of buff system for company seal exchange items

It's awkward wording, but it almost sounds like Grand Company specific items will be able to be upgraded with runic enchantments with 1.22.

Allard

Fantastic news about a new CG movie. Hopefully the new one will be more reflective of in-game assets.

Well you won't have to wait long, Yoshida confirmed in one of his many interviews that the new intro premiere will coincide with E3 and I'm guessing it will be one of the big videos they air on the new promotional site they are working on.

Allard

When is 1.22 scheduled again? Tomorrow seems to be a 1.21a patch so are we weeks away form 1.22?

No one knows but most seem to think Thursday the 26th at the earliest since most of the larger patches seem to get released on Thursday/Friday morning (JST) and the Garuda competition ends on Monday that week implying the update would come shortly after. The developers have said it is their intention to get the update out before Golden Week Holiday season starts as they all go on vacation during that time and Golden Week starts on April 29th. If they don't get ready by then, it will likely be delayed till the week after that.

Allard

So maybe Thursday of next week then (Since internally they always seem to use the JST time and date leading up to a patch, just like how reps translate Yoshida's dates literally when he is speaking to a Japanese audience). Unless something dramatic is found I doubt they are going to push it back either, if there is a feature not working as intended they will remove it from the patch and delay it to 1.22a and have it come after golden week.

Edit:

Rep translation on the forums confirmed the next producer letter will talk mostly about 2.0 and the new campaign :O. Results of the third player poll has been delayed till after this producer letter since the results always come with a producer letter (This was the original reason for the comment as someone on the JP side was asking for when the results would get posted). Wonder if we will see it at the end of the week or early next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom