• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Composer Reflects on 10-Year Journey [Yoko Shimomura]

The game has been in development for 10 years — when in these 10 years did you start writing music for it? Has the music evolved or changed direction during this time span?

Shimomura: The first song I actually created for the whole project was right at the start, 10 years ago! It was the song Somnus, and this song is still in the game today. I think the overall direction of the music has been fairly consistent since the beginning of the project. There was music we knew we wanted to add specifically when the game became XV, so a lot of new things were added then, but it was because new things were being added to the game — things that needed to be supported by music.

Blast me with Meteo if old.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016...id=781146982156947458&adbpl=tw&adbpr=10671602

84.gif

Jonnax

The Abbey Road concert was pretty cool. The violin on Somus is excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0dabzg9GbM

And there's quite a bit of the soundtrack played:

4:40 – Songs of the Stars / Dawn
8:30 – Fight Fantastica
13:40 – Nox Aeterna
17:40 – Luna
22:28 – End of the Road
24:15 – Wonderful View (Tentative Name)
26:00 – Starlit Waltz
30:40 – Noctis
35:40 – Omnis Lacrima
41:15 – Veiled Aggression
46:48 – Somnus
51:27 – Apocalypsis Noctis (feat. FFXV composer Yoko Shimomura)

From what's been released, the soundtrack is easily a shoe-in for OST of the year nomination. Her sense of melody with a stately arrangement of choir and bright piano hits the perfect tone for Prince Noctis's melancholy journey.

I'm grateful this soundtrack has hit the tipping point where more of her songs are finally played by a majestic live orchestra. I look forward to these tracks being mixed into future FF albums for years to come.

Mediking

She's behind Apocalypsis Noctis, right? THAT SONG IS TOO GOOD. THANK YOU, YOKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Philippo

Somnus is my favourite videogame track of all times.

Probably because i've been listening to it for the last 10 years like some sort of religious mantra

Top Bottom