• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV TGS 2014 Trailer | Lord Nomura giveth us His only Son so we may live

So youre telling me that these animations of FFvsXIII build were slowed down? Damn.. it was too fast then. I think that the actual combat speed of this new build seems pretty good though! I mean, the guys are using really big and heavy swords (except for Noctis sword on the second part, but he moves faster to attack there).

yeah, i read an interview long ago and Nomura said they had to do that because Noctics's teleport was very fast that you coundn't see him.

injurai

Banned
yeah, i read an interview long ago and Nomura said they had to do that because Noctics's teleport was very fast that you coundn't see him.

I remember him saying that combat looked really confusing and would give headaches to people not playing. But it would make a lot of sense and the speed and chaos was comfortable when you were in control. Or something to that extent.

right how silly of me. assuming he made every monster to be used in FFXV, we're gonna have a fun time. unless all he did was characters this time around
For all we know, he could've. Though most of the so-called "Nomura FFs" have had other artists pulling the "monster designer" duties. The only ones Nomura had a really heavy role in designing for were FFV-FFVIII.

Here you go, horns AND tusks!
Not the same tusks, though. Those type of curled tusks were introduced with Nomura's FFVII Adamantoise. The one in FFXV has a sort've pronged back to the tusk that is seen with Amano's FFII Adamantoise design, yet the general face looks different altogether. And I think the horn is more stylized beak than a horn. That particular piece of art is a depiction of FFXIII's Adamantoise, stylized, but FFXIII's didn't have rhino horns, nor pronged tusks. Also, in general, the head of FFXV's(the way it's generally shaped and it's features are laid out) is like nothing seen in ANY other FF Adamantoise so far. I'd say the closest WOULD be the FFXI variant, but even then, it's still rather unique in itself.

jvobdt.gif
This particular scene of that trailer actually shows another old school FF monster(in classic design). This is the one with the Garchimaceras. These:

Imp_FFVIII_Color_Art.jpg

That was the first hint I got that Nomura was going to include "classic" FF monsters.

Kssio_Aug

Actually it kind of make sense based on their 1st CGI trailer. What an EPIC trailer it was! I will try to find that to download!

I've found some old gifs of FFvsXIII build, and just made a comparison with the FFXV new trailer... I have to say that besides now its much better, before they were doing a pretty good job anyway!! =o

I'm loving this gameplay though! Remember me so much Kingdom Hearts, what is, imo, a very good thing!
Man the gameplay in vsxiii looks way better and more like KH.

Ishida

Banned
Stefan™;130704164 said:
Combat seems to have a lot of weight to it, which is encouraging. Not here for button-mashing FF. :p

I agree. I liked the more slowed down approach. Although what we saw in this last trailer was from an early part of the game, where the characters are still not powered up.

dxdonk.gif

The speed of combat in the second half of this gif looks fine for early-game. I will be disappointed things don't become at least as interesting as last year's gameplay teaser looked by the later half of the game, though.

Stefan™;130704164 said:
Combat seems to have a lot of weight to it, which is encouraging. Not here for button-mashing FF. :p

My idea: they should have stamina bar so we will have more tactical options in combat. Using Haste makes stamina recover faster and using Slow/Stop makes us have advantages in combat.

Slowdive

Banned
A lot of the time Noctis is using a heavy sword so it makes sense the combat is slower, plus, it's from early on in the game so perhaps you gain speed when you level up.

Nomura said they edited the old trailer at slow speed so we can see character's movement.
The new trailer seems slow to me or they changed combat speed.
And i still don't have a clue how we can use magics, it seems we don't have MP bar so i think we will use them for a number of times

The current combat speed looks great but a bit faster wouldn't hurt, hopefully they just slowed it down for trailer purposes but I doubt that's the case... Another scenario would be that this noctis is lower level since it takes place at the beginning of the game, if I remember correctly e3-2013 reveal trailer noctis was OP and had moves that are unlocked later on hence the missing spiral crystal swords.

Edit also missing is the MP bars, maybe they still tweaking the HUD plus we all know ex arts magic and summons are going to be there.

Kssio_Aug

dxdonk.gif

The speed of combat in the second half of this gif looks fine for early-game. I will be disappointed things don't become at least as interesting as last year's gameplay teaser looked by the later half of the game, though.

Nah, it seems to be early-game indeed. There they're fighting only normal soldies and are not using any special ability. Final Fantasy main series have never disappointed in combat and skills (neither Kingdom Hearts), I'm sure that we will have much more movemets and magics to use later on, making things more interesting. But the combat animations are pretty good already! =o

HeelPower

I agree. I liked the more slowed down approach. Although what we saw in this last trailer was from an early part of the game, where the characters are still not powered up.

yup slowed down approach allows for reactionary combat as opposed to just mashing and stringing as many kills together as possible.(not my favorite)

Really like the parries in the in the game too!

in8XPC885OlNd.gif

MilkBeard

dxdonk.gif

That's a perfectly fine speed, imo, at least for early game like you said. Any faster and it might be hard to control. Perhaps there will be advancements to his abilities as you level up.

The brand is damaged, but there's no alternatives in the marketplace for a "Final Fantasy" type of experience.

FF still remain the singular identity for games of its kind. When people think of AAA JRPGs with a global identity, it's still FF, for better or worse.

And a brand can recover with a great game. It needs to be really damn great though.

HeelPower

Stefan™;130702505 said:
The lighting, the foliage, the animation - everything looks amazing.

2015 will be an AMAZING year for RPGs. My wallet weeps.

tumblr_inline_nc4c03fwuC1r580lk.gif

LOL This is hilarious and I don't even get what its supposed to mean.

Anything faster might be hard to control? wut. They're way faster combat oriented games than that and you can control them just fine. I'm also quite sure it will end up being at least KH speed

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
LOL This is hilarious and I don't even get what its supposed to mean.

Google car taking pictures for Google Maps was driving down the street. There is a passage of time as the car goes down the street obviously. One photo is near the crest of the curb and the woman on the sidewalk is walking. But what was perhaps seconds later when the second picture was taken, she tripped lol

Toth

You do realise clicking on a YouTube video out of interest doesn't actually translate to sales, right?

Like, there's no doubt this will do fine but to argue that the brand hasn't been damaged is delusio-

*sees username*

Oh that's why.

Well, insulting is a great way to get a point across but all this shows is that there remains a very strong demand for people to see and have this product despite the epic development period. As someone just mentioned, LR's trailer had 100k viewers in the same time frame. You can see people really want this game.

Dark_castle

The main reason the combat seems slower in the trailer is mainly due to Noctis mainly using the large broadsword. When he uses his regular 1H sword, the speed looks fine to me. Not to mention many of the times the person controlling Noctis is just wandering around, not actually doing anything. This gives it the slow illusion.

The brand is damaged, but there's no alternatives in the marketplace for a "Final Fantasy" type of experience.

FF still remain the singular identity for games of its kind. When people think of AAA JRPGs with a global identity, it's still FF, for better or worse.

And a brand can recover with a great game. It needs to be really damn great though.

Clearly they aimed the game for new generations who prefer action RPG more than turn based RPG.
The brand may be damaged but FF is still a big name and if SE market them well like FFXIII, it will sell easily

Falk

that puzzling face
iXCDc52IuSWzl.gif

you can see that they slowed down the teleportation.

The gameplay here either looks modified, is a target render, or there is some mechanic that's not immediately obvious because in most other cases when Noctis uses the teleport move, his 4-notch bar below HP goes down a notch.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man

Both games are doing incredibly well on Amazon. I'm surprised Typo-0 is #25 on best sellers considering it's coming out in March.

I didn't expect the X1 versions to be so low though.
Typo-0: #2,445
FFXV: #5,356
Yeah, I know where the fanbase is and the hardware difference in the region, but I expected the X1 versions to at least be within the #500-1,000 ranges.
I remember ordering FF Versus XIII on Amazon, and then they cancelled it. Jerks. Weirdly enough, they never cancelled The Last Guardian.

I'll probably wait and get the LE if/when it's announced.

The gameplay here either looks modified, is a target render, or there is some mechanic that's not immediately obvious because in most other cases when Noctis uses the teleport move, his 4-notch bar below HP goes down a notch.
I believe they said a good amount of that trailer was just target renders. You can tell when its not ingame because the hud just looks photoshopped in.

Kssio_Aug

Honestly... I think that this FFXV wont disappoint.
And thats coming from someone who bought a PS3 for this came and never had it, and its actually very disappointed with Square Enix bt quite a long time. But I can't deny that by the look of that trailer the game seems indeed damn good, and still holds on my interest!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Ahh some of the stuff last year was target render but I hope they can do those weapon effects.

iosefe

well, if you called it like that. But it's just my dumb idea, playing Souls and MonsHun really makes me play smart, not mashing button.

it reminds me of how the XIII bar worked, gradually filling p and actions depletd it. unless you mean you could use up the bar and one it's empty, you'd have to wait till it's filled again

either way, it seems similar

wmlk

If anyone has seen The Great Gatsby you'll know how similar the E3 2013 footage is to it. Nomura was so darn inspired that it's uncanny.

I personally love the crystalline look to Gatsby.

Falk

that puzzling face
1371014427-other-actions.gif

guys

guys

he has a move that apparently blinds enemies with holographic weapons that dont do anything

forgive a little cartwheeling

Top Bottom