• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI won 5 awards at the Famitsu Dengeki Game Awards 2023! Best RPG, Graphics, Music, VA and Character (Clive Rosfield)

Buggy Loop

Office Space No GIF

Doesn't japan get BG3 over there? They don't know a true RPG even if it slapped them on the face.

Labadal

I don't care if it won all categories, but it makes me sad that none thinks that Octopath Traveler II had the GOTY OST of last year. OTII was robbed.

Hudo

TotK getting GOTY was to be expected (and fully deserved).

Surprised at Sea of Stars (a Western-made game) getting an award here. And also congrats to ARMORED MOTHERFUCKING CORE, BABY

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
ff16 haters right now

giphy.gif

While my GOTY was AC6, and I felt the best game overall was Zelda ToTK, and I understood the hype for BG3…. I still think ff16 has stayed with me the longest. I’m eagerly awaiting its second DLC.

FF16 is a much better game than 13&15. It has a digestible story and epic moments that can’t be beat.

Glad it got recognition.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I was too harsh on this game. playing the mini game ubisoft marathon that is rebirth, made me realize that FF16 despite its MMO style trashy side quests was still a far better and more ambitious game. it didnt treat its characters like they were 8 year olds. It had several story beats that went places unlike ff7 which is basically one plot of you chasing sephiroth while nothing happens all around you. The graphics were amazing not just because the game looked pretty but because they actually used the tech to do some insane boss battles.

And while the MMO style fetch quests were awful and ruined the game for me towards the end, I would rather take them than these NES quality mini games they force me to play in Rebirth. At least im using the game;s systems here and not games designed around pre-ps1 era tech and design.

P.S Yes, avatar and aw2 had better tech but FF16 and Spiderman 2 both had far more impressive setpieces, cutscenes and overall cinematography that made me just as impressed. its about the overall experience, not just how many pixels or ray traced effects you push. avatar's shitty first person cutscenes and alan wake 2's complete lack of setpieces just made them boring and stale.

Meanwhile, FF16 had these moments every single mission.

FINAL-FANTASY-XVI-DOMINANCE-5.gif

HPuG2Du.gif

DbpsUwd.jpg

Chukhopops

Each of those awards is hilarious in its own way.

Happy for the FF16 team since they couldn’t even get any awards from the freaking PS Blog awards.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It's barely an RPG.

Most jrpgs aren’t when compared to tabletop d&d origins to be fair. FFXVI goes waaaaaaaaay too far and suffers for it but its not like older FFs had great character build depth or any real roleplaying either. Pretty much went out the window in FFIV. JRPGs truly are in their own little subgenre world and honestly thats ok.

On a separate note, many Japanese folks actually do randomly like Wizardry of all things lmao. Elder Scrolls has a decent fanbase there as well.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Most jrpgs aren’t when compared to tabletop d&d origins to be fair. FFXVI goes waaaaaaaaay too far and suffers for it but its not like older FFs had great character build depth or any real roleplaying either. Pretty much went out the window in FFIV. JRPGs truly are in their own little subgenre world and honestly thats ok.

On a separate note, many Japanese folks actually do randomly like Wizardry of all things lmao. Elder Scrolls has a decent fanbase there as well.
Sure. My opinion though it's bereft of many RPG mechanics prevalent in Jrpgs and Wrpgs. Wouldn't call it the best RPG. It's good action game to a degree but it's very flawed.

Best music should still go to Octopath Traveler 2. That game keeps getting robbed.

Boneless

Terrible game, I liked the first part but was never able to finish it. Combat is cool and flashy at first, but it quickly shows how unbelievable shallow it is, but perhaps not as shallow as the world and sidequests.

I am happy Rebirth is so much better.

I always hear people they found it to be better than FF games since XII, but I enjoyed XV much more. Sure Rebirth is a completely other level and is my favorite since X, but I think XVI is still overrated.

Brigandier

I enjoyed FF16 and it's more mature tone was most welcome, But those linear empty areas and a serious lack of meaningful content really hurt the game especially the tedious MMO like mandatory quests.

The enemies took way too much dmg to defeat and the lack of elemental weaknesses and magic was disappointing.

Can tell that the budget was much lower than Rebirths though and I think they made a solid game, I hope Yoshi P and his team get another chance with a bigger budget.

An under appreciated game with some flaws but still fantastic

I prefer the serious tone over the comical zany stuff in Rebirth (but love that game for different reasons)

Top Bottom