• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI - Your hopes, dreams and fears!

Mar Nosso

Banned
All right ladies and gentlemen. Against all expectations, FFXV is indeed coming out this year, there's even a rumoured release date going around as I'm sure you're all aware by now and the main event where the game will be showed off in a significant way is coming at the end of this month, 30th of March.

Why am I making this thread I believe I hear some of you asking? Why then, because I need to move on. I want to go back to the days of the first PlayStation console knowing that when I finish this Final Fantasy game, there's another one to look forward to or maybe even a couple more before the generation is over. The 5th generation had 3 mainline Final Fantasies after all, the 6th had 2 and the 7th had 1 (not counting the online ones as they're altogether different products). For this current 8th generation we should be expecting at the very least 2 mainline games, one being the upcoming FFXV and the other, rather obviously, FFXVI. It's time to be excited about the possibilities a totally brand new Final Fantasy game may bring regarding story, setting and gameplay.

The purpose of this thread then is for you to let us all know what you want and expect the sixteenth entry to bring forward so we can all compare, contrast and discuss our wishes for the newest entry on this most beloved gaming franchise, that has moved the hearts and souls (and even brought forth the wrath) of many of us, gamers entranced with a series so beautiful, so enthralling and so involving that after 10 years we are still on the edge of our seats waiting fanatically for this year's entry.

To set things off then, I will make a brief list of the developers I wish to see in charge of FINAL FANTASY XVI.

Director: Hiroyuki Ito - this man is as much part of this series as Hironobu Sakaguchi himself. He is the creator of the ATB battle system most of the entries have included and he has also directed 3 of the most famous games: FFVI (widely regarded as the best 2D entry), FFIX (a 3D love letter to the FF's of the previous generation) and FFXII (where he tried to capture the essence of a MMO in a single player game and tweaked the ATB for that purpose, separating the fanbase between loving it and hating it). One would conclude that FFXVI's setting would then be a medieval based one as all previous entries directed by Ito have been. And that would probably be quite alright, seeing as the last ones have had more modern settings. Just keep Motomu Toriyama in a position of leadership away from this game, or any other for that matter.

Composer: Takeharu Ishimoto - you'll have heard this man's work previously in Crisis Core and Final Fantasy Type-0. Now, FFXV's OST seems to be incredible as it was put in the hands of the amazingly talented Yoko Shimomura and while she did an excellent job, she is also in charge of KH3's OST and despite XV's music being clearly FF, you can also at times hear that KH effect. I'd like both more separation between the series in regards to sound, but also to let a new person, that seems just as capable to produce a worthy effort, stretch their wings. After all, had Yasunori Matsuda not demanded to be assigned Chrono Trigger's OST as his first ever composer job at Squaresoft, we would never have had that memorable OST that we so love to listen to and Mitsuda might have never had his big break in gaming music composition. FFXIII's Masashi Hamauzu's OST was competent but largely forgettable, so we need someone on par with Uematsu, Mitsuda and Shimomura to delight our aural senses. If you need further convincing, allow me to present to you: Divine Fire/Pure Fire - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G50Gg2UxXA

Producer: Yoshinori Kitase - having co-directed FFVI and directed both FFVII and FFVIII this man is another old guardian of the Final Fantasy series. He has mainly produced games however in the past few years and I suspect it is in part his own decision, but he is good at that job and he knows the soul of a Final Fantasy game in and out, so I'd expect him to help bring XVI's effort to conclusion swiftly (no one is expecting or would really tolerate another decade before a new game). He's also in the role of Producer for FFVII Remake but nothing else right now and seeing as Shinji Hashimoto is busy with both XV and KH3 and work on FFXVI is sure to have already started, my bet is on Kitase for the job.

Writer: Jun Akiyama - I feel it's time to let this man come forward as the main writer in a mainline entry, seeing as Yasumi Matsuno is no longer available and Daisuke Watanabe and Kazushige Nojima have been in charge of the writing on this series for far too long. Watanabe in particular is, along with Motomu Toriyama, too attached to the least liked entry - FFXIII - and both should stear clear of any Final Fantasy game for the time being. New blood is then needed and Akiyama having been event director for both FFXII and FFXV and scenario writer for the first KH, is in a good place to step forth and wow us with a riveting storyline.

That's it for now folks. Please share with us your opinion and let's all get hyped for a totally brand new entry in the Final Fantasy series! Hopefully to release no later than 2018/2019 ;)

Mr. RHC

Do you want me to have a heart attack?

tumblr_m6nhnuB4gW1qlknxjo2_250.gif

Asd202

Back to medieval fantasy something akin to FF IX would be great. After XIII, XV and VII:R I think it's time.

Director/Writer: Yoko Taro.

Outside of that, I would at least like to see Ito participating in the game design again. I wonder what he could make with current technology.

Since I'm probably getting neither, just do whatever. The best part about FF is not knowing what's ahead.

Mar Nosso

Banned
Director/Writer: Yoko Taro.

Outside of that, I would at least like to see Ito participating in the game design again. I wonder what he could make with current technology.

Since I'm probably getting neither, just do whatever. The best part about FF is not knowing what's ahead.

Yoko Taro is a genius in his own way, but might be too crazy a gamble for Final Fantasy. I'd actually love to see how a FF game directed by him would turn out, but the people in power at SQE would never allow it I'm afraid.

DarkKyo

Do you want me to have a heart attack?

tumblr_m6nhnuB4gW1qlknxjo2_250.gif

Damn, he looks crazy young in this gif lol

But anyways, I'd like a return to a more medieval/fantasy style look. Something between FF9 and FF12 would be nice. I love how Ivalice looks in the tactics advance games, I wish we could get a game like that.

Falk

that puzzling face
Composer: Takeharu Ishimoto - you'll have heard this man's work previously in Crisis Core and Final Fantasy Type-0. Now, FFXV's OST seems to be incredible as it was put in the hands of the amazingly talented Yoko Shimomura and while she did an excellent job, she is also in charge of KH3's OST and despite XV's music being clearly FF, you can also at times hear that KH effect. I'd like both more separation between the series in regards to sound, but also to let a new person, that seems just as capable to produce a worthy effort, stretch their wings. After all, had Yasunori Matsuda not demanded to be assigned Chrono Trigger's OST as his first ever composer job at Squaresoft, we would never have had that memorable OST that we so love to listen to and Mitsuda might have never had his big break in gaming music composition. FFXIII's Masashi Hamauzu's OST was competent but largely forgettable, so we need someone on par with Uematsu, Mitsuda and Shimomura to delight our aural senses. If you need further convincing, allow me to present to you: Divine Fire/Pure Fire - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G50Gg2UxXA

Oh man, while I respect opinions for being opinions, you mentioned all that while completely skipping XII. :V

ST2K

Get Ito on it and do something new that people don't expect. A return to turn-based combat would be cool, provided they don't fill it with gimmicks.

there's no way we get a new FF this gen with FF7R being a reality

Mar Nosso

Banned
I want this:

I don't think they would use Agni's Philosophy as the setting for FFXVI. It's been too long and the setting was kind of a weird mixture between Brazillian favelas and medieval fantasy? Didn't really float my boat, but that's my personal take on it.

My fears: Toriyama directing, an MMO (and hey, I liked XIV RR, but I want more single player goodness), doesn't come out this gen because of XV spin offs and VIIR

My hopes: Ito directing, or Kitase back in the director's chair, OST by Hamauzu (loved X and XIII OSTs) or by Soken, a large playable cast and character-centric and well developed plot

My dreams: Kitase and Sakaguchi team up to develop a game in the visual style of Amano, and Uematsu oversees OST (with lots of support/contributions from young bloods)

Mar Nosso

Banned
Oh man, while I respect opinions for being opinions, you mentioned all that while completely skipping XII. :V

FFXII's is amazing, but it was the work of a few people. I tend to prefer one person mainly in charge, ala Nobuo Uetmasu in the most iconic entries.

Mar Nosso

Banned
My fears: Toriyama directing, an MMO (and hey, I liked XIV RR, but I want more single player goodness), doesn't come out this gen because of XV spin offs and VIIR

My hopes: Ito directing, or Kitase back in the director's chair, OST by Hamauzu (loved X and XIII OSTs) or by Soken, a large playable cast and character-centric and well developed plot

My dreams: Kitase and Sakaguchi team up to develop a game in the visual style of Amano, and Uematsu oversees OST (with lots of support/contributions from young bloods)

Ha! The bolded made my heart skip a beat. I'd actually cry if something like that was ever announced! xD

DarkKyo

Speaking of Ivalice, that world has always been ripe for an MMO. It's so historically rich at this point and the races are insanely cool. Make FF16 some kind of revolutionary new type of MMO that takes place in Ivalice. I would never leave. Clan battles, judges/law cards, airship duels....

ash_ag

I don't think they would use Agni's Philosophy as the setting for FFXVI. It's been too long and the setting was kind of a weird mixture between Brazillian favelas and medieval fantasy? Didn't really float my boat, but that's my personal take on it.

I get more of a Middle Eastern vibe from it personally. It really intrigues me aesthetically.

I'm open to more ideas though. A sunny Mediterranean setting would be pretty fun. It would be a departure from the more melancholic approach they've had lately.

kenta

Has no PEINS
My hunch is that we'll see FFXV-2 before we see FFXVI.

But to answer the question I'd love for them to go back to FFXII's combat. Enough with the edgy emo aesthetics as well. It doesn't have to be medieval, just... not cringey for the first time in a decade

My hopes: for them to NOT turn back to turn based combat because of fans outcrys, if they do its because they want to expand on turn based. As far as everything else haven't really been disappointed with a mainline ff yet so just keep switching it up enough but still have the ff flair is all i ask

Ha! The bolded made my heart skip a beat. I'd actually cry if something like that was ever announced! xD

Well, it's just a dream, but it would be my gaming apotheosis, probably have to hang up the spurs forever if it really happened. All down hill after that.

Outside of ~10 tracks, it was Sakimoto.

FFX was more of a split.

I'm actually surprised it wasn't 100% Sakimoto, XII's OST was Sakimoto af. He's never done anything for me, but he certainly has a consistent and recognizable sound.

Yoko Taro is a genius in his own way, but might be too crazy a gamble for Final Fantasy. I'd actually love to see how a FF game directed by him would turn out, but the people in power at SQE would never allow it I'm afraid.

Square is too scurred confirmed.

=X, but idk, they put a guy who only directed handheld games (and not all of them loved/successful) in charge of their biggest game yet. I think they can have the balls.

I don't think they'll do it because Yoko Taro has never made a game that sells (everyone go buy NieR Automata), but not necessarily because he is a crazy weirdo
genius.

I do hope it's not Agni's Philosophy though. make that into another IP or something, just make FFXVI something new >.>

Mar Nosso

Banned
Speaking of Ivalice, that world has always been ripe for an MMO. It's so historically rich at this point and the races are insanely cool. Make FF16 some kind of revolutionary new type of MMO that takes place in Ivalice. I would never leave. Clan battles, judges/law cards, airship duels....

I'm going to go ahead and say that Ivalice and Fabula Nova Crystallis can fuck right off. I am sick of these same recurring themes for the last few years. Feels like they've been around now forever! When I mean moving on, I really mean moving on entirely! Totally new setting, characters, stories. Even if it was to be a medieval setting, make it jump forward and be a new one, separate from previous entries in the series. I'd rather have that than a rehash of the same old things. Chocobos and airships are excluded from the garbage bin though, most naturally. ;)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
They are not going to have two mainline MMOs at the same time.

Koozek

Obligatory Verendus posts about FFXVI from 2013-2014:
Already on the way. The concept of it is also quite unique. It will certainly be something that hasn't been done before in Final Fantasy, if they manage to accomplish it. I'd put it in the back of your mind for now though, as I would personally expect FF15 and KH3 to be out before it.
I knew of three. XV, another one which had a concept demo showcasing summons and traversal involving them and what I initially called FFXVI but now refer to as just another FF, and finally FF7. The middle one is what I assumed to be FFXVI or the next FF project beyond XV. This one comes out of nowhere. These spoilers are very detailed though. I'm hoping this is mobile, because if it's not, that means there is no FFXVI at the moment. There's no way SE can be doing this many big FF projects.
A lot of the FFs are a mash up in my eyes. Even IX which has the tone you're describing has airships and so on.

XVI will be the opposite of XIII though. It's not futuristic so you might get what you want with that.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm actually surprised it wasn't 100% Sakimoto, XII's OST was Sakimoto af. He's never done anything for me, but he certainly has a consistent and recognizable sound.

http://vgmdb.net/album/1531

Yeah, the other tracks really, really blend in with the overall tone of the soundtrack. It's as close as a match as Sekito's work in the later KH entries, or Mizuta and Suzuki in XIII-2/LR.

Hiroyuki Ito? Yes.

Ishimoto? Eh. His work is good, but it can be inconsistent as well. There are a lot of tracks from his stuff that sound kinda generic. If not Hamauzu, then maybe Naoshi MIzuta and Mitsuto Suzuki. Mizuta especially has shown that he is a lot more varied than people thought compared to his work in FFXI. Uematsu is sort of washed up for years now but I'd honestly like to see him do at least one more Final Fantasy game on his own.

Top Bottom