• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally a 4K/HDR1000 PC monitor with good affordability

longdi

Banned
With the 436M6VBPAB Philips has introduced the first monitor, which is specified according to the VESA standard display HDR 1000 . This is reflected in the data sheet: The usual brightness should be up to 720 cd / m², the peak value at 1,000 cd / m². The 43-inch MVA panel with Quantum Dot achieves a contrast ratio of 4,000: 1. The black-and-white brightness values required for Display HDR 1000 are achieved via local dimming: The lighting is subdivided into 32 independently controllable zones, which is not a particularly fine grid, but should improve the HDR experience. The color processing is in 8 bits, thanks to frame rate control to 1.07 billion colors are displayed.

The 43-incher resolves with Ultra HD, ie 3,840 × 2,160 pixels, bringing it to a pixel density of 103.64 ppi. With Displayport 1.2, HDMI 2.0 and USB 3.1 Type C (Displayport-Alternate-Mode) you can display up to 60 Hertz. Philips calls an Adaptive Sync support. That is, the 436M6VBPAB supports freesync but has not been certified by AMD . The free-sync range of the Ultra HD monitor is 48 to 60 hertz, which is unfortunately anything but high.

Low input lag and adaptive sync for game consoles
In addition, Philips advertises the large monitor with a low input lag of just 21 milliseconds. Now there are already TVs that have this low signal delay. Many current models have a so-called Game Mode, which deactivates signal delaying image optimizations. It is unclear whether the Philips monitor reaches the low value with active HDR playback, which adds some lag due to the additional sound mapping of the display.

As a hybrid between TV and monitor, the manufacturer sees its newcomer primarily as a display for entertainment purposes. Microsoft's Xbox One consoles now support freesync in a beta , so Philips is promoting the 436M6VBPAB as a suitable console monitor. Accordingly, it supports the variable refresh rate via both HDMI 2.0 and Displayport 1.2. Too bad is the high minimum frame rate of 48 Hz, should a game have stronger drops below 60 fps or even run at only 30 fps.

https://www.philips.com.au/c-p/436M6VBPAB_75/momentum-4k-hdr-display-with-ambiglow/overview

Philips or specifically now owned by TPV (a china MMC).
Their stuffs are pretty affordable usually, no stupid Asus/Acer trolling.
Their MVA panels have astonishing black levels.

+Non-IPS, 4K/HDR1000, bias lighting, 4:4:4 chroma, 4000:1 native contrast, adaptive free-sync, 43 inch just nice
-8bit+FRC, 162w power, 60hz, displayport 1.2 meh.

OyINuxqdDu60uCj3.jpg

5ArUG2QsZTNPkFt7.jpg

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS85L0cvNjUzNTI0L29yaWdpbmFsLzA4LWNhbGJsYWNrLnBuZw==

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS85L0YvNjUzNTIzL29yaWdpbmFsLzA5LWNhbGNvbnRyYXN0LnBuZw==

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Don't you require a 10bit panel to get the full benefit of hdr? Does it have local dimming?

8bit + frc is the highest vesa requirements. You get some banding i guess, but at usd1000 for a 42" pva with freesync, good budget for pc and oneX. It probably has lesser than 384 local dimming zones than the 144hz asus/acer, but those 2 are just tiny 27" ips and probably 8bit without frc, at 2.5x the costs!

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
That's a pretty decent looking monitor actually but at this point not waiting for HDMI 2.1 seems ...not sane

longdi

Banned
Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Nope, it is an in-house panel IIRC, TPV make their own ones.
Quantum dot is not exclusive samsung tech.

25May on Amazon JP, 110K yen. https://www.amazon.co.jp/PHILIPS-436M6VBPAB-11-42-5インチ-「Display/dp/B07CHF88SM
799 Euros
999 USD

Only 32 dimming zones.

Guess an affordable stop gap for PC Xbox dorm gamers until 40-49" OLED in 2020, that is, if LG display is still around. lol.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...e-loss-points-to-tv-challenge-iphone-struggle

Personally I just want a see a 27-32" 4K HDR FreeSync 2 monitor released...still waiting.

What is it about monitors/display tech that it seems you are always waiting for the right display with all the latest tech to be released...

dcx4610

Anything less than 144hz is a deal breaker. There's no going back once you experience high frame rate.

I really hope PC monitors catch up soon though. I still don't understand why a 55" 4k TV chocked full of features and HDR can be had for under a grand but a 27" 60hz monitor is $800.

waylo

Banned
Echoing the sentiments of many it seems. 60Hz is a deal breaker. I can live with no G-Sync, though I'd prefer it, but not being at least 144Hz is a no-go for me.

Reallink

Nope, it is an in-house panel IIRC, TPV make their own ones.
Quantum dot is not exclusive samsung tech.

25May on Amazon JP, 110K yen. https://www.amazon.co.jp/PHILIPS-436M6VBPAB-11-42-5インチ-「Display/dp/B07CHF88SM
799 Euros
999 USD

Only 32 dimming zones.

Guess an affordable stop gap for PC Xbox dorm gamers until 40-49" OLED in 2020, that is, if LG display is still around. lol.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...e-loss-points-to-tv-challenge-iphone-struggle

$999 USD, affordable stop gap? 55" OLED's are already routinely ~$1000 in the US if you follow sales, literally once every week or so. B7's very commonly go for ~$1200, while you will rarely see the last of the B6's still being sold off for $999. If someone wants an OLED, there is certainly no reason to buy this while they "wait" years for OLED price drops.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/philips-436m6vbpab/

First review is out, detailed and with video!
Overall a good budget HDR1000 monitor for PC use, a stopgap until microled in 2-3 years time!

+VA 4000:1 contrast measured as specs
+HDR1000 measured as specs
+10bit DCI-P3 gamut measured as specs
+low input lag and response time
+lower VA glow than usual, no IPS glow
+better HDR experience than 384 zones IPS Asus monitor costing 2x as much
-some text fringing due to using inverted RGB subpixel (wtf)

Last edited:
$999 USD, affordable stop gap? 55" OLED's are already routinely ~$1000 in the US if you follow sales, literally once every week or so. B7's very commonly go for ~$1200, while you will rarely see the last of the B6's still being sold off for $999. If someone wants an OLED, there is certainly no reason to buy this while they "wait" years for OLED price drops.
Was going to come in to say this. I'd prefer to have choice. 55 B6 is my main for movies, TV, hdr gaming and some slightly more casual pvp (used to do all fps on this--pc even, albiet with controller, and am 2-3 kd in all games).

Picked up a TCL 43s405 for cheap as a monitor. Loving it. PQ isn't amazing but lower input lag than the Phillips (hell, 2017 oleds are that low, and the 2016 B6 only 6-7 ms behind)

The motion is fantastic too for a 60hz. I don't benefit as much from over 60hz as a controller can feel the difference but not nearly as much as a mouse. Super low input lag (14 ms ?) ans very fast response time equal best bang for buck 4K 60hz 43 inch or bigger monitor on the market (and it's not really even close--Roku and tv features are just icing)

Top Bottom